Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
I also notice that the Exhaust is different, did you design your own exhaust for the engine ?
That's a stock exhaust of FZ16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
Sorry but I do not know how to start a new thread - If the moderator can advise, I do not have any problems...
I'm glad you started a new thread

Quote:
@ aargee - Number stamped neatly with a star before and after the number.
Hmm...quite surprising; but how about the RTO & registration part or did you just skip for time being? Or are you saying that the Chinese manufacturer engraves you with an existing engine number that you send? I couldn't get & hence the question.

Quote:
And the bike itself is limited edition, so can be different.............
Sorry, I couldn't understand this part

Quote:
14-39 - I will gain on top speed and lose on torque. I want to change the ratios to limit top end at 135-140 and increase the torque.
To gain more on the mid range right?

Quote:
Manipulation to generate interest in the manufacturer to sell to you.
Ok

Quote:
Give me another two months and and only enthusiasts will be able to differentiate it from a stock FZ. I dont want people fingering the bike when I park it somewhere, so should'nt look different.
Agreed strongly

@Lavs sir - Sorry to bug you with so many questions because, like you, I too have a hand made Yamaha Rx but with 3 combination of 135 4S cylinder, 5S gearbox with looks of Rx100. I took about 8 months & under went a hell of agony. I'm sure you'll know what I mean & hence I've so many questions as how you tackled so much issues.

But it was good that you started a new thread. Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hmm...quite surprising; but how about the RTO & registration part or did you just skip for time being? Or are you saying that the Chinese manufacturer engraves you with an existing engine number that you send? I couldn't get & hence the question.
yes, i think he means the new engine has the same engine number engraved as that of his stock engine. if that can be done then one can easily avoid the hassles of getting the registration changed.Sounds good to me. by the way, don't we have people here who engrave numbers on to the engine. if someone changes the whole block for a restoration, how can the original engine number be engraved on to the new block. do we have a way to do that in india yet? we all have seen many restoration projects here on TBHP. people do change most of the engine parts including the block right?
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarmaniac View Post
if that can be done then one can easily avoid the hassles of getting the registration changed.Sounds good to me.
Well, to give you a real picture, the RC book says, engine capacity 153cc & 14hp motor, while in reality its 250cc & 26hp motor. Since the Govt babus have a "chaltha hai" attitude, we don't need to worry much on this.

Quote:
how can the original engine number be engraved on to the new block. do we have a way to do that in india yet?
This is done at lathes who have the tools for engraving. They can do it on the chassis as well as the engine too. This is how I got it done. Anyway, mine was legal & I'd a note from the YMIS dealer, so the guy at the lathe charged me nominally & didn't ask any questions. Otherwise, this is little illegal
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
how can the original engine number be engraved on to the new block. do we have a way to do that in india yet? we all have seen many restoration projects here on TBHP. people do change most of the engine parts including the block right?
I think on another thread (Dustoms?) somebody mentioned the govt. is planning on bringing in a section under which custom vehicles can be registered.

One can only hope..

Cheers

Rahul

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please refrain from discussing illegal methods involved in above such modifications on this forum.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd October 2010 at 19:18.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, to give you a real picture, the RC book says, engine capacity 153cc & 14hp motor, while in reality its 250cc & 26hp motor. Since the Govt babus have a "chaltha hai" attitude, we don't need to worry much on this.

This is done at lathes who have the tools for engraving. They can do it on the chassis as well as the engine too. This is how I got it done. Anyway, mine was legal & I'd a note from the YMIS dealer, so the guy at the lathe charged me nominally & didn't ask any questions. Otherwise, this is little illegal
i was asking for the legal way. just in case someone loses the engravings due to an accident or something. so its not much difficult as i thought it to be. one can easily convert a 350 into a 500 easily if money is not an issue then.

@Lavs: can you post a few close-in pics of the radiator and the engine mounts. and how is your battery responding to the additional load. or have you changed the stock battery too?
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great job. Please do keep us updated.

Engine and accessories means gearbox etc too?

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd October 2010 at 12:02.
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:21   #22
BHPian

Hi everybody,

The exhaust is not stock and is free flow type. Only it looks like a stock. And it does'nt make too much sound. For long route driving you need a relatively silent vehicle. The tail pipe is 33mm shining peice of Stainless Steel.

@ aargee - Bigger the rear sprocket - you get reduced top speed, but increased power/torque. I have smaller rear sprocket and hence better top speed (as the engine is capable of generating the torque). This bike that I bought in white colour is no more available and has limited edition written on it. So it is different.
You are into some serious modifications - doing it yourself or dependent on mechanics?

Rear Disc will come. I am not happy with the way people fix rear disc. Will take my time to design and implement with whatever is available in the market.

@ jkdas - Engine and gearbox are a integral unit. Everything including the electronics.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please refrain from discussing illegal methods involved in above such modifications on this forum.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th October 2010 at 16:26.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was asking for the legal way.
Well, I did the legal way; I bought a new crankcasing from YMIS & hence I obviously got a bill. They usually charge about Rs 350 for embossing the engine number, since we'd a good rapport, they asked me to take the bill & ID proof to a certain shop where they have a tie up & thus I got it done legally.

This is the tool to get the embossing done. Apart from this, there're machines, most shops in India rely upon this type of tool.

Quote:
just in case someone loses the engravings due to an accident or something. so its not much difficult as i thought it to be.
Incase of accidents, things are much simpler as the A.S.S would take care of those things.

Quote:
one can easily convert a 350 into a 500 easily if money is not an issue then.
Yes, but the RC would state something else as I posted earlier.

Quote:
The exhaust is not stock and is free flow type.
Oh!!! quite interesting; some insights on how this was constructed will be very helpful.

Quote:
You are into some serious modifications - doing it yourself or dependent on mechanics?
I hate con mechanics & I really want to thank the con mechanics who drove me nuts due to which I learned things all of my own. Except the crankcasing consisting of gearbox, crankshaft & clutch assy, I'd assembled every bolt & nut by myself.

Quote:
Rear Disc will come. I am not happy with the way people fix rear disc. Will take my time to design and implement with whatever is available in the market.
Since you're doing most of the mods by yourself, you may want to consider Ninja's petal disc brake setup.

Last edited by aargee : 22nd October 2010 at 14:15.
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Now this is something very very interesting.i have been looking for this kind of upgrade for my cbz.there is a good mech here who can get this work done but the problem has been getting an engine down.How did you get about importing this engine and what has been the expenditure on this?

Also what all engines are available from the company you have imported this from?
availbility of spares in case the engine goes kaput owing to chinese build quality? hope this engine turns out to be a reliable one.We'll have a good solution to these stupid manufacturers who have been offering us 100-150 cc's forever.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Terrific work Lavs.

Cost of the engine and the means to import one would be extremely helpful.

Kindly PM me if you do not want to share this openly on the forum.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Also what all engines are available from the company you have imported this from?
Lifan Group
Dongben Motorcycle

These are just two; I googled from this post.

Quote:
availbility of spares in case the engine goes kaput owing to chinese build quality?
I guess once you buy the engine, you're on your own. But there's always a solution - The great Indian juggad

Quote:
We'll have a good solution to these stupid manufacturers who have been offering us 100-150 cc's forever.
Well, ^^^ doesn't sound nice. Its not the fault of manufacturer as they're controlled by customers. Next time, when you're on road, keep a tab on how many Splendor, Shine would you find compared to ZMA/R, P220 (I'm not deliberately Kwacker here). Most of our people want 0-100 under 5 seconds & 100 Kmpl that are inversely proportional for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Terrifimeans to import one would be extremely helpful.
Pls count me in when you PM on this info @Lavs sir. Tks.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:27   #27
BHPian

Regarding the exhaust - I just removed all the restrictions like Catcon, Pipe in Pipe construction with a regular bigger pipe. Simplest way I could manage was minimum restrictions and maximum volume inside to store gases. Any pipes for interconnecting compartments inside the exhaust to be made adequate for minimum restrictions. I used a electric hand cutter to cut open the exhaust neatly. Did the cleaning inside and got the thing neatly MIG welded.

One thing you need to consider in all modifications is that any welding being done has to be MIG as normal electric welding overheats the metal and makes it hard and may result in cracking because of vibrations. Electric welding if done shud be using inverter based high frequency electric welding machines and try to use SS welding rod. SS and MS join very well.

One principle that I adopted from the very begining was stay away from the big industry modification names, find a cost effective way to find the best solution for any problem faced.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please refrain from discussing illegal methods involved in modifications on this forum.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th October 2010 at 16:27.
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:14   #28
BHPian

@ aargee - You project - I understand that you are using cylinder from a 135cc 4 Stroke bike. But what is the internal diameter of the new cylnder and what was the dia of the original cylinder? Which piston are you using and how will you ensure that the compression stays within limits?
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Excellent job. Hope YAMAHA takes a leaf out of your book and gives the FZ the engine it deserves

The chassis can take much more than the normal run-of-the-mill 150cc that it sports, blame it on the mileage fanaticism. Unfortunately, its the mileage that brings in most of the FZ sales
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what is the...will you ensure that the compression stays within limits?
@Lavs - There's no rocket science or breaking head in my build; I simply used the 135 (or rather 132cc) cylinder & head. No engineering & kept it simple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks