Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 11:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hows the performance after the swap? What about stability?

At 25 ps you are touching CBR territory and even beat Yamaha to a proper 250 CC bike
The performance is great. I was running a 39 Tooth sprocket at the back and 14 at the front and still it was performing well. Now I have shifted to 42 at the back and it is even better. Initially I was using a carb which was not tuned and was giving very rich mixture at mid and high RPMs. But after tuning the the main jet and the needle clip position, I think this should challange a CBR. I just got a chance to run it against a R15 and on a straight stretch of road I went past R15 very easily.

Stability - I had actually raised the height of the bike keeping in mind offroading that I would be doing. But now I have reduced back the height as I am mainly driving on roads at high speeds. Beyong 120kph wind pressure actually becomes too much and you feel as if you are taking a risk seeing the Indian road conditions. You dont feel like driving this bike in the city or crowded roads because of the power. But on a highway I easily cruise at around 120 with the engine at comfortable RPMs and more power on hold.

One of my pals is getting his CBR this month and then we will compare it one to one.

Cheers
Old 9th May 2011, 11:33   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hows the performance after the swap? What about stability?

At 25 ps you are touching CBR territory and even beat Yamaha to a proper 250 CC bike
Yamaha 250cc - If yamaha brings in air cooled 250cc, then I will have an advantage as my performance would be superior. But if they come out with water cooled engine then we will have to wait and see.
Old 25th March 2015, 10:27   #63
BHPian

Just stumbled upon this interesting thread... how is the bike doing? Kindly take us further in this interesting journey!
Old 25th March 2015, 12:35   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Just stumbled upon this interesting thread... how is the bike doing? Kindly take us further in this interesting journey!
The bike is doing fine except some minor hiccups here and there. We attempted Chanshal Pass in June 2013, did Badrinath, Mana and Malari in October 2014 and did Winter Spiti in February 2015 on the same bike. Chanshal and Malari I did with my daughters as pillion riders. Spiti this year was my solo ride. Chanshal and Spiti Videos you can see...

Lavs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavs View Post
The bike is doing fine except some minor hiccups here and there. We attempted Chanshal Pass in June 2013, did Badrinath, Mana and Malari in October 2014 and did Winter Spiti in February 2015 on the same bike. Chanshal and Malari I did with my daughters as pillion riders. Spiti this year was my solo ride. Chanshal and Spiti Videos you can see.
Way to go! Your mod story is really inspiring!

Edit: First video marked private so could not see... The second one just shows how effortlessly the path was negotiated.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2017 at 08:16. Reason: Additional comments; Removed video link from quoted post
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 13:02   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Way to go! Your mod story is really inspiring!

Edit: First video marked private so could not see... The second one just shows how effortlessly the path was negotiated.
Sorry for the video being Private. I have made it Public now so you can view it.

Thanks
Lavs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the video being Private. I have made it Public now so you can view it.

Thanks
Thanks a lot! Superb rides. Hope to do those circuits some day!
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 11:00   #68
BANNED

Bumping this interesting thread up again.

How many km's has the new motor covered?

Have any parts been replaced due to wear(premature and normal)?
Old 15th December 2017, 07:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Bumping this interesting thread up again.

How many km's has the new motor covered?

Have any parts been replaced due to wear(premature and normal)?
I have clocked 20K+ KMs on the engine. It is going fine, no parts required. I did Mana Pass on the same bike in November this year. As most of my rides are extreme (read sub zero temperatures), I need to add some 400-500ml oil in 2.5-3K KMs to the engine.

I bought two KTMs - 200 and 390 during last couple of years. But still prefer offroading on this old horse because of excellent ground clearance and better traction in ice and slush because of more weight and lesser power ( vis-à-vis 390).

Thinking of giving it a revamp with new paint and then retiring it from extreme trips.

Cheers...
Lavs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 08:58   #70
BANNED

Quote:
I need to add some 400-500ml oil in 2.5-3K KMs to the engine.
Please share your sump oil quantity on overhaul and refill, also would love to know your change interval and the oil you use.

So far I believe you've done a wonderful job which is evident by your ODO read. Keep the miles up
Old 15th December 2017, 09:24   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Please share your sump oil quantity on overhaul and refill, also would love to know your change interval and the oil you use.

So far I believe you've done a wonderful job which is evident by your ODO read. Keep the miles up
Sump takes 1.4L of oil. I have been using Valvoline or Castrol 20W40 oil changing at 2.5-3K Kms. I need to pour in some 500ml in 3K Kms. And drain out some 1.2L at oil change. Because I had to tilt the engine forward during installation, the engine works even on very less oil also and the pump is able to suck oil even when levels are very low. One of the rides after 3K Kms I found only 400ml oil when drained. And the bike was giving oil smoke in very cold temperatures on starting. So I just replaced the Valve stem seals and the problem of smoking was solved. But replacing the seals was an experience as I did it solo without disassembling the head. I got a chance then to set the proper valve clearances by grinding the shims used for it.

Cheers
Lavs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks