Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:17   #31
BHPian

Excellent build, this would make the dreams of many a biker in India. Lavs great effort.

What are the costs involved for this project, but mainly importing the engine from china? I am sure there are a lot of people who will want to know the cost of this project.

Lavs dont want be critical but Wont removing the catcon add to the already disastrous effect of vehicle emission on the environment? Any gurus want to comment if there is a work around this particular issue.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Lavs dont want be critical but Wont removing the catcon add to the already disastrous effect of vehicle emission on the environment?
I'm no expert, but IMO, it wouldn't pollute even half of any Govt vehicle on the road. So I guess, this is far acceptable for all of us here.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Just Brilliant! Does the new engine feel smoother than the original Yamaha engine?
And how did you manage to bring this engine to India? What was the cost of the engine?
Old 24th October 2010, 15:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

As a FZ owner , I'll be keeping an eye on the thread for sure ! Congratulations on your efforts ! But it will be really nice if you frame a write-up on the which states the costs , procedure , etc.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:04   #35

This is one excellent mod. How much did it cost you to do? And also wanted to ask if you also installed a disc brake for the rear tyre? If you did not, wanted to know if it is possible? Have a FZ 16 and want to install a disc brake in the rear as well.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:50   #36
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

No this engine is not smoother than the original engine - Reason being it is bigger and has much more Torque and hence it driven at lower rpms. To avoid clutch slippage the clutch springs are also quite hard and hence one needs to adjust to sudden engaging of clutch. I hardly need to cross 4000RPM in city driving.

But while driving I donot feel the need to go to High RPMs as there is enough power at low RPMs itself. Te bike goes 80kmph in sixth cog at 4000 rpm, 100kmph at 5000rpm and 120kmph at 6000rpm. I have not been able to go beyond as you need long empty streches of road.

I have dismantled the mountings and sent them for powder coating. The exhaust has been sent for high temperature painting. The bike is not movable for a few days. After putting everything back I intend to take it on a 500KM trip for final testing and will inform of the details.
Rear Disc brakes are available in Delhi for around 7K. They take your rear alloy rim and change with a modified rim which is ready to fit a rear disc. Rear Disc is in my agenda but after I am through with all engine mods. Frankly speaking rear disc or drum does'nt make much of the difference in driving except for aesthetic value as 70-80% of braking is done up front.

The engine costs somewhere around 60K.

I am in the process of taking pics and will post very soon showing how the things were done.

Cheers
Old 26th October 2010, 15:15   #37
BHPian

Did a small filler job which was looking bad. Filled the tapered naked area adjacent to front sprocket cover with perforated SS sheet
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-dscf5100.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th October 2010, 17:43   #38
BANNED

Thats the way to go mate! Thats what I am talking about. Good to hear about engine swap,atleast some one is in quest for tyre smoking power rather than uselessly elongating swingarm and calling it a chooper or custom bike.
We already have lot of good looking motorcycles in almost all segments,what we do not have is fire breathing monsters. Good work!
Old 28th October 2010, 22:49   #39

nice try lavs.. Yamaha should consider releasing a 250 cc version of FZ.. thats how we all like it more..
Old 29th October 2010, 18:27   #40
BHPian

Great going Lavs!!! Probably you could show a demo to Yamaha for them to consider it in future models. That chassis/looks deserves an engine like this. Will watch this space for more.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:42   #41
BHPian

Whats the thing you are using between the manifold and carb ?? if its pvc or some plastic pipe please remove it, use pvc or plastic pipes in air intake no problem there, butttt not in intake chances of melting is high.

Very nice work there ..
Old 30th October 2010, 09:37   #42
BHPian

Hi praJEEP,

That is just a temporary solution as I have wasted so many SS and Aluminium pipes trying to bend them and get the exact angle required. We need a very long piece for bending a small part also. Very soon you will find this replaced with metal elbow. This part has already taken a lot of my time and is still taking more.

But even the piece used is very high quality with metal rings inserted at the clamping points inside the pipes to avoid collapse and well isolated from engine because of rubber.

Thanks and Regards
Old 30th October 2010, 10:58   #43
BHPian

I feel the intake angle is bit too long, get the carb as close as u can to the manifold, i know saying here in words is easy but doing there is tough, get hold of a good cnc guy he would be able to do it.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:02   #44
BHPian

@ praJEEP - It is difficult to accomodate a 34mm Carb nearer without fiddling with the Chassis. But I have tried with this length and angle of Intake and it is working without any problems (tried for almost 400Kms). Aluminium Intake will be ready within a week.

I started with the pic attached and it worked fine. The angle is almost the same as the stock FZ Manifold angle and the length is infact shorter than the stock FZ manifold.

Thanks buddy
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ16 with 250cc engine swap-dscf5184.jpg  

Old 30th October 2010, 21:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
atleast some one is in quest for tyre smoking power rather than uselessly elongating swingarm and calling it a chooper or custom bike.
That's a little derogatory statement; each one has their own talent & interest. Some people prefer doing what they like to do & its their interest. While you're appreciation, its better not to derogate someone, its far better to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
I feel the intake angle is bit too long, get the carb as close as u can to the manifold
I couldn't understand the reason behind this Pradeep, could you brief a little pls?

@Lavs sir - Now your carb provokes me another question. Is that a stock FZ16 carbs that you're using or have changed that one too? If you've changed, any tips or reason as on what basis you choose the current one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks