Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 03:18   #1
BHPian

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?

Hi Team BHP bikers !!

I was just curious to know how many of us still ride the Yezdi Colt ? Or are there any still alive on our roads anywhere in India ?

I knew of a Catholic family in Bandra Mumbai who owned one but was parked on the road and was rusting away then one fine day it was not there anymore.

Any body seen these beauties of yester years still riding on our roads ??

Also anybody still riding Enfield Explorer or Silver Plus ?

Some other long forgotten bikes and cars :

1. Standard Motors : Dolphin and Montana

2. API Scooters - Badal (Famously called the Ram Balram car (starring Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachhan))

3. Bajaj Auto -- Stride and Sunny

4. Enfield : Mini Bullet, Explorer and Silver Plus also the Enfield Zundapp Fury

5. Ideal Jawa -- Yezdi Colt, Yezdi Monarch, Yezdi 175, Yezdi D-250 Classic, Yezdi 350

6. Narmada Scooters : Prince 150

7. Kelvinator : Avanti

8. Hero : Majestic moped
riteshpawar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 10:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Bikes and Cars of yester years long forgotten Anybody still driving or riding the

I got my hands on a 1974 Yezdi Type B recently. Giving her a facelift now. I have a friend who owns an Enfield Crusader. It's parked in his garage for quiet sometime as it's got some serious gear problem. And most 'Bull' experts in Pune are unwilling to touch it!!!
Down South, Yezdis and Jawas are quiet common. But in Maharashtra and up north, they are a rarity and a real head turner. When my friend went to reregister his Jawa in Ahmednagar RTO. The RTO babus said that his bike is the second Jawa to be registered there. You get the picture...
The pic is of my TypeB baby. Engine is smooth. Still starts in the first kick. Giving her a new paint now!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-typeb.jpg  

Last edited by Leepower : 12th April 2011 at 10:19.
Leepower is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 10:26   #3
BHPian

Re: Bikes and Cars of yester years long forgotten Anybody still driving or riding the

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please do not post your phone number and other sensitive personal information on a public forum. Instead, use the PM function. Please also do not post one liner's that add no value to the topic being discussed as it amounts to Spam.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th April 2011 at 11:10.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I got my hands on a 1974 Yezdi Type B recently.
That sure is a rare bike. Coz that "Flower Type" Head with the radial fins ONLY came out in 1974. Congrats on your find !!!
alok_balsekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 10:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok_balsekar View Post
That sure is a rare bike. Coz that "Flower Type" Head with the radial fins ONLY came out in 1974. Congrats on your find !!!

I know!!!
A 'friend' had spotted the bike. He himself was not sure whether to buy it or not. He told me there is a Yezdi for sale and just check it out. One look and I realized that it was a TypeB. Then I just ran to an ATM got the money and took her home!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 12th April 2011 at 11:03.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 11:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post

2. API Scooters - Badal (Famously called the Ram Balram car (starring Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachhan))
Dolphin (two door) and Montana (four door) were cars with FRP bodies made by Sipani Automobiles of Bangalore, not Standard Motors. I still sight the occassional one in B'lore, nowhere else.

Badal, IIRC was also a three wheeled FRP car, but I doubt it was made by API.

Enfield also had a scooter called Fantabulous, with foot operated gears.
Old 12th April 2011, 12:50   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My family owned Hero Majestic when I was kid. Unfortunately, I don't remember any one driving it. But yes, it looked really good when compared to other mopeds.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:13   #8
BHPian

If May I add one here

Rajdoot GT 175 - AKA Bobby Rajdoot.. Still Used everyday by an Elderly gentleman in pune

As mentioned earlier
Many Yezdi Jawas running here used regularly by Dudhwallas "Milkmans" and a few people of the Jawa n Yezdi Club.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Shreeram

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Stratos : 19th April 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Copying your Badal info in the appropriate thread. Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 13:45   #9
BHPian

I know a friend of mine who father owns a green JAVA and a Lambi. The handle of the Java could only tilt 30 degrees (calculate the turning radius ). I have always wondered how in Kerala people could pass their drivers license using bike like Java, since to pass the test you need to drive along a path which takes the shape of 8
Old 12th April 2011, 13:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. API Scooters - Badal
Dolphin and Montana were not from Standard but from SIPANI AUTOMOBILES, who first made the Badal (not API) and after the Montana, they went on to make the D1 and for a brief period, the Rover Montego.
Old 12th April 2011, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I got my hands on a 1974 Yezdi Type B recently. Giving her a facelift now. I have a friend who owns an Enfield Crusader. It's parked in his garage for quiet sometime as it's got some serious gear problem. And most 'Bull' experts in Pune are unwilling to touch it!!!
Down South, Yezdis and Jawas are quiet common. But in Maharashtra and up north, they are a rarity and a real head turner. When my friend went to reregister his Jawa in Ahmednagar RTO. The RTO babus said that his bike is the second Jawa to be registered there. You get the picture...
The pic is of my TypeB baby. Engine is smooth. Still starts in the first kick. Giving her a new paint now!!!
Thats a very clean machine.
Got you. i saw your bike. you have two Yezdis ,right??
Both of them parked on your 'O' level parking.
Old 12th April 2011, 14:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team BHP bikers !!

2. API Scooters - Badal
3. Bajaj Auto -- Stride and Sunny
4. Enfield : Mini Bullet, Explorer and Silver Plus also the Enfield Zundapp Fury
5. Ideal Jawa -- Yezdi Colt, Yezdi Monarch, Yezdi 175, Yezdi D-250 Classic, Yezdi 350
6. Narmada Scooters : Prince 150
7. Kelvinator : Avanti
from the above list I have seen the Dolphin, Sunny, yezdi 175 as recent as a month back all in Bangalore. Well a cousin of mine still has the yezdi will try to get some pictures.

I had forgotten about the existence of the Majestic moped, Avanti and the prince 150
Old 12th April 2011, 15:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Dolphin and Montana were not from Standard but from SIPANI AUTOMOBILES, who first made the Badal (not API) and after the Montana, they went on to make the D1 and for a brief period, the Rover Montego.

Is this the same D1 Sipani Engine which was once fitted in the Montana which flopped like a hot pancake in the Indian market ? There used to be standing at the Bandra in Mumbai just below the sea-link Traffic chowky. Apparently, some cop owned it and then it disappeared !!

Again thanx for correcting me that was indeed the Sipani Automobiles that manufactured the Badal, Dolphin, Montana and also the Rover Montego.
Old 12th April 2011, 15:29   #14
BHPian

Hi all,

I just stumbled upon the Ideal Jawa website. Its still being hosted by someone even though the company is in a lockout with some case going on the court.

The question is : After the company got locked out obviously the dealers of the Yezdi that time must have had some bikes in stock. Anybody know of any Yezdi dealers who might still have any of these in stock .. probably lying around somewhere under covers and dust !!

Alok_Balsekar you knew this guy at Dahisar who once ran the Yezdi dealership for North Mumbai right ?? Any contacts ?
Old 12th April 2011, 15:37   #15
BHPian

OF that list we still have a '94 Bajaj Sunny at my native place Goa, it was the first model launched by BAL back then. They were pretty common those day but now its a rarity. Its still being used, gave it a makeover around 2 months back..nothing major though, just dismantled the whole scoot, painted the rusted frame, replaced bolts with stainless steel ones and lacquered the body panels. All done at home, no mech involved. Its fun to ride and still touches 60kmph with a load of 92Kgs. Like most classics original spares are hard to come by.

Most Viewed