Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 03:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?

Anybody heard for Tandon Motorcycles ??

They ceased production in 1959

Here is a link : Tandon Motorcycles

Devdutt Tandon from India started this company in Watford, Hertfordshire.

Manufactured bikes between 1948 and 1959

Made Milemaster, Supaglid models, a Kangaroo trials model, Imp and Starlett, as well as several others.

1948 The first model appeared as a cheap lightweight intended for both home use and export. Lacking in refinement, it was fitted with a 122cc Villiers 9D pre-war engine, installed in a frame that was of tubular, bolted construction. Although it had telescopic forks, it was angular and not at all stylish

uploaded this photo of a lady in a saree riding one of their bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-452pximtandon2.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 04:15   #47
BHPian

Indian Bikes and Cars of yesteryears and long forgotten: Anybody still riding them?

Well just for the info so some bloggers here the Badal was manufactured in India by Sunrise Automotive Industries Limited it was a Reliant Rialto.

I have uploaded a photo of this, look at the uncanny resemblance to the Dolphin or even an earlier Montana.

Last edited by riteshpawar : 16th April 2011 at 04:43. Reason: Forgot to upload the photo
Old 16th April 2011, 04:39   #48
BHPian

One more defunct bike manufacturing company of India.

Monto Motors with an address :

Monto Motors Limited
1, Matsya Industrial Area, Alwar,
Alwar-301030,
Rajasthan,
(India)
Phone: 91-1442-881900, 901, 832
Fax : 91-1442-881831

Their website is surprisingly still running. Kelvinator Avanti sold the rights to Monto and they began manufacturing Avanti Mopeds in various designs and colors however base engine was a 49cc Aircooled engine same as the famous Avanti mopeds.

I have uploaded some pics of their bikes. There was one with a remote ignition using a keychain, there was another one which is a tourer, look alike of the Bullet Thunderbird with same graphics and another that looks a clone of the Yamaha Enticer.

LONG LONG FORGOTTEN AND BURIED AWAY !!
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-blaster_img.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-mini-hd.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-gazzb.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-montsilver.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-125-cc.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-100-cc.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-top_tenk_red.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th April 2011, 04:48   #49
BHPian

Forgot to upload the photo of Reliant in the previous post

here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-1989reliantrialto.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 05:13   #50
BHPian

Found some really old photos of the Ideal Jawa factory, were in one of my older computers that I had not used for more than 5 years (lol .. its a Pentium III -- luckily the hard drive was in good shape)

Also uploading some photos of a really well maintained Jawa in which was once in Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00020hd3.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00003aw3.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00012ut9.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00014fh1.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00013vs9.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-image00019rk9.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-jawa_354_.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-1966_jawa_353_07_250cc.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-yezdi-jawa.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 06:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Forgot to upload the photo of Reliant in the previous post

here it is
This is our very own Sipani Dolphin, nee Reliant Kitten. I had one. I will scan and upload the photo - no soft copy in those days! It could give the M800 a run for it's money, in performance. Not as good in any other aspect (refinement,finish,comfort) though.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th April 2011 at 07:02.
Old 17th April 2011, 01:20   #52
BHPian

Awaiting your upload of the Dolphin photos, in the mean while does anybody have any more photos of the Mysore Yezdi factory ?

I came across a post by a Yezdi enthu from Mysore that I'll post later after approval from him as he is not a Team-BHP member
Old 17th April 2011, 20:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Awaiting your upload of the Dolphin photos, in the mean while does anybody have any more photos of the Mysore Yezdi factory ?

I came across a post by a Yezdi enthu from Mysore that I'll post later after approval from him as he is not a Team-BHP member
Facebook

Some pics which any Jawa/Yezdi enthusiast would love seeing .

Thanks

Nomad
Old 19th April 2011, 00:36   #54
BHPian

Yezdi enthusiast Javed Nayeem wrote the following on : Yezdi « churumuri

K. JAVEED NAYEEM writes: I may not be wrong if I say that without any exceptions whatsoever, a motorcycle is every boy’s favourite fascination and heart-throb.
It still remains mine too since, at heart, I still feel like a boy although my wife dissuades me from owning one on the plea that it is rather unsafe to ride one today considering the dangerous traffic conditions. I often wonder if that is the real reason for her fears, considering the fact that bikes still rank very high among the list of things that make boys attractive to girls!
Among the many credits that our City can take, it also stands out as the hometown of Jawa and Yezdi, two among India’s best-known motorcycles of the yesteryear. Along with the 175cc Rajdoot, and the Royal Enfield breed, these were the only motorcycles that were produced in the country until the modern-day 100cc bikes came along in the late eighties, like a bolt from the blue, to overtake them.
The Jawa workhorse came to India thanks to the vision and the enterprise of F. K. Irani who started assembling them in an industrial shed in Yadavagiri under collaboration with the parent company located in Prague in Czechoslovakia.
The firm was called M/s Ideal Jawa Pvt. Ltd. and it stood not too far from the now demolished sprawling Jawa factory.
Originally it was the partnership of Janeck, an arms manufacturer and Wanderer, who true to his name, was keen on manufacturing motorcycles which first gave birth to a bike that derived its name from the first two letters of their own names! The year was 1929 when the going was good and fuel cheap and therefore the first bikes that rolled out of the factory had massive 500cc 18BHP engines.
The company even produced a 700cc Jawa car for a short while but when the world went into the economic recession of the terrible thirties, the engines were scaled down to 175cc in the year 1932 and under the rigours of World War II, which left no one unaffected, production was altogether stopped temporarily in the year 1946.
The factory was restarted after it was taken over by the Germans and later by the Soviets who merged the Jawa trademark with CZ, which was another Eastern European motorcycle brand. The 1935 model 250cc Kyrvaka was the forerunner of the Indian model while the 1954 version known as the type 353, was what first came to India in a knocked down state to be assembled and later fully manufactured here.
The first bike rolled out of the Mysore plant on 5th March, 1961 and once production started in full swing, there was no looking back over the next thirty-five years. Most of its variants were a phenomenal success mainly because of their extremely simple and yet rugged design that literally made them workhorses sans cumbersome maintenance.
Between 1963 and 1966, the bikes dominated the six-day international off-road Enduro trials where both bikes and riders are left to fend for themselves for six days at a stretch. The first phase of the collaboration with the parent company ended in the year 1968 and in the year 1975 the brand name of the bike was changed to Yezdi.
That year F. K. Irani was the Chairperson of the Mysore Dasara Committee and that year’s Dasara thus saw forty Yezdi motorcycles participating in the procession. It was also the year when Roadking, which true to its name became the most successful model, was unveiled. It still remains the most sought after and valued Yezdi with collectors.
Initially, it was available only against the payment of 150 US Dollars in foreign exchange and therefore became a status symbol and a very prestigious possession. Manufactured to last a lifetime, many Jawa and Yezdi bikes regularly outlived their owners, a few of whom performed outlandish stunts like riding them standing on their saddles or across winding hill roads with hands completely off the handlebars.
Some riders even rode them up the steps of the Vidhana Soudha and the Chamundi Hill! Their reliability saw them exported to Afghanistan, Turkey, Egypt and Sri Lanka and also to Nigeria where they were inducted for use by the Police force. This explains why Jawa was the most sought after bike by the many Nigerian students who used to come to India for studies.
Over the years, Jawa engines have successfully powered mini-tractors, railway track inspection trolleys, autorickshaws, sugarcane crushers and thanks to the ingenuity of our home-grown aviator, Somender Singh, even micro-light aircraft!
Despite such a glorious track record, this phenomenal performer that was to motorcycling what the AK-47 still is to small arms across the world, saw the end of its production in the year 1997 when the technology behind it could not keep pace with what came out of modern day Japan, initially in the minuscule 100cc package. The company shut shop and we all know what happened thereafter.
While a few diehard Jawa and Yezdi bikes still not only survive but also continue to serve their loving masters, this rather sad story thankfully has a happy ending.
Close to my house but unknown to me for a long time, there lives a family that has been keeping the Jawa heart beating softly in the warmth of their home.
Gladstone Wilson, who served as a supervisor at the Jawa factory since 1969 till its closure and his two sons, Gavin and Ainsley, have been passionately collecting and restoring the out-of-production Jawas and Yezdis over the years. Most of their bikes not only are road-worthy but also maintained in mint condition.
They have with them all the models that rolled out of the Mysore factory from the 60cc “Jet” to the last produced 250cc “Monarch”. They also have a very rare twin-cylinder 350cc version, which Gavins says is like Caesar….., more powerful dead, than alive because of its value and popularity now rather than when it was in production!
Gavin who heads the Department of English at the University Evening College says that his father has ridden a Jawa all along and his mother Marie Wilson who teaches at the Ideal Jawa Rotary School too was using a Jawa stepthru 60cc “Colt” until very recently. He adds that his younger brother Ainsley who now works for Satyam Computers was almost born on a Jawa as his mother was rushed to the labour ward on the bike just in time for the event!
Over the past few years, the Wilson brothers along with their first cousin Ryan who works for the Royal Inn Hotel, have formed a small group of Jawa and Yezdi owners in Mysore. They along with other Jawa fans the world over, celebrate the “CZ-Jawa-Yezdi International Day” on the second Sunday of July every year, when they ride their steel and chrome steeds across the main streets of the city, of course, with a brief stop to pay silent homage, at the factory site in Yadavagiri.
Although the Wilsons have been my immediate neighbours, I never knew about their unusual passion until my son Adnan told me that there was a good story for my column locked up in the garage next-door. Gavin’s six- year-old son Jaden, who lives and breathes motorcycles, is perhaps the youngest Jawa aficionado in the world, which may qualify him for an entry into the record books!
The Wilsons say that their greatest source of strength in sustaining their hobby is their chief mechanic Mohamed Dastagir and his son Shamsheer who have their workshop behind the Dalvoy School. They are also very grateful to all their friends and especially to Raian Irani, son of F. K. Irani, who flagged off their first rally and Rajashekar who sponsored their “Jawa Day” this year with a lunch at his farmhouse.
Although they say that the event can do with a little more help and publicity, they are reluctant to accept sponsorship that may dilute the Jawa name and logo with its own brand. It may be noted that Jawa and Yezdi owners in Pune have a full-fledged club with official membership.
Another noteworthy bike worth mentioning here is a 1962 model 175cc Jawa, bearing registration number MYB 8338 which was owned for exactly four decades by M. M. Prasanna Kumar, my former science teacher at the St. Philomena’s High School. It was the 300th motorcycle produced by Ideal Jawa at Mysore, which was presented as a commemorative gift by the factory to B. D. Jatti when he was the Governor of erstwhile Mysore State.
After two ownership changes, it came into the able hands of Prasanna Kumar who is himself a very accomplished two-wheeler and radio mechanic who can repair or restore anything mechanical or electronic. After a long and useful life, this bike was gifted in perfect running condition, along with its original registration certificate book, to the museum of the Sri Manjunatheshwara Temple at Dharmasthala last Saturday.
Incidentally, it is the only Jawa motorcycle there and I feel it will now enjoy not only its rightful place of honour among the other interesting exhibits but its well-earned rest too, living up to its sobriquet; “Forever Bike, Forever Value.”
(K. Javeed Nayeem, MD, is a practising physician who writes a weekly column for Star of Mysore, where this piece originally appeared
riteshpawar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 07:15   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yezdi enthusiast Javed Nayeem wrote the following on : Yezdi « churumuri
Thanks for sharing! That was an awesome story.

And I remember reading somewhere that Jawa is actually pronounced as Ya-wa, and our countrymen insisted on pronouncing it as Jaa-waa. And later when the re-branding occurred, the name Jezdi was launched as Yezdi – to get the pronunciation right
Old 19th April 2011, 12:15   #56
BHPian

I Think the explorer was the first motorcycle in the Indian market with mag wheels ? It was very popular with its distinctive looks & sleek looks over Bullet & Yezdi in those days.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
If anybody remembers this movie Choti Si Baat staring Amol Palekar, Vidya Sinha, Asrani and Ashok Kumar. It was a 1975 musical comedy, in which Amol Palekar buys this really old bike to impress the heroine and gets bumbed.

Any idea what bike this was ?
He buys a Royal Enfield possibly a pre 1962 model, going by the butterfly chasis and later on the road is shown on a WD Triumph
Old 19th April 2011, 14:13   #58
BHPian

Lamby POLO 150 was our first scooter. It was very spacious and powerful compared to the good old Lambretta. Not very different from Lambretta though. The visible difference was, lambretta's front mudguard was fixed to the body and was immovable. I do rememeber, it had a small metal clutch pin inside the hood of headlight, which used to break every 15 days.

Here are the pics.

The First Space Shuttle on Two Wheels

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-1378_lamby_0002sm_1.jpg
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-1378_lamby_0003sm_1.jpg
Old 19th April 2011, 14:21   #59
BHPian

Re: Bikes and Cars of yester years long forgotten Anybody still driving or riding the

Quote:
I recently started off with the restoration of my KB100 RTZ Delta. Had not ridden it for over a year and it was lying in our shed under covers and cardboard packings at my parents house in Juhu - Mumbai.

I recently moved back with my folks and began the restoration. I have uploaded some pics.

The KB100 RTZ is soon becoming a forgotten bike in Mumbai too. In Juhu I am the only one riding it. About 15 years ago there was one more in our society who sold it to someone in Juhu itself and its now rusting away in his garage. There is one more I see parked at a local shop on the Versova-Juhu link road opp. HDFC Bank.

Don't how to get the rust off the rims, shock-obs and leg guard.

Got a paint job with the original Wine Red color.

Anybody know where to find the original radium graphics for the tank, side panel and rear fairing for a RTZ ?
Also is it better to hard chrome the rims and silencer or get new ones instead !!
My heart sunk when I saw your bike. I used a same coloured one back in college. One of the finest bikes I ever owned apart from the RX 100. I now repent selling both the bikes.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:33   #60
BHPian

Vijay Super, it used to make really loud and harsh noise with good amount of blue smoke. I used to hate my neighbor for this

It used to mostly come in blue and green colors. The air vent on it sides was its distinctive identity.

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-vijay-super.jpg
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-vijaysuperscooterforimmidiatesale.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks