Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 22:03   #76
BHPian

Re: Can anyone identify this moped ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow awesome, this gives me itch to do up mine too, but then I have lost one wheel and couple of body parts. Few months ago bangalore gujari had all the needed parts to do up my bike. I need to find time and resources to do her up, I got the owners manual and letters to emfield + some reciepts too.

Edit: Did you rebuild the engine too?? I think not, a Zundapp was not required to do so, but then all enfield engines required frequent overhauls. By the way I also got a free flow exhaust for the bike.
Letters to Enfield & reply...., it has not happened till now for me or my Royal enfield Bullet enthusiasts( friends).

My Explorer !!Yes, Rings was replaced, bearings & some sundry parts like clutch, wheel bearings, ball racers & some latest model parts was replaced with the period ones...plating, painting..
even a new Bing carb was sourced..though overall acceleration, power is good, needs to be choked at every start ..have to check.
My Humble advice for Guys, who are need of "Explorer or Silver plus" wheels, still it is not too late...you can see those beautiful Alloy Wheels in " PONI PURI vendor carts only
So, Manish plz get one right now!!
Old 21st April 2011, 22:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?

Some of my rides...

1. 1996 Yezdi Roadking 250

More images of the Roadking here

2. Yezdi Model B 250 (with incorrect headlight, handlebar etc.) This is a restoration w.i.p

More Model B pictures here

3. 1987 Yamaha TZR 250 1KT (parallel twin - fully restored and also has custom chambers in addition to stock)

More TZR250 pictures here

4. 1986 Yamaha RD350 LT (fully restored at home)

More RD350 pictures 1

More RD350 pictures of the restoration here

Some more RD350 Pictures

5. 1962 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Std. (restored...this was a hand-me-down from my Grandfather, father and finally to me)

More pictures of the Bullet 350

Purists will yell and scream that the originality was not preserved but I prefer to work with what I have...The important bits are still original.

6. My friend and tuner Rajkumar has several exotic bikes in his stable. These are some of the legendary MotoGP bikes, the TZ125 and TZ250.

More pics of various bikes here
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 22:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
In the early 80's Enfield had introduced a similar 2-speed 65 cc bike (moped) called Silver Plus in collaboration with Zundapp of Germany. It was a resounding flop however.
Flop where? in Guwhati maybe..Down south it was a big success. When we were kids in the 80s I saw a ton of these in Bangalore. Even more popular in Chennai and TN.

Silky smooth engine and very smart Euro styling in an era where the Bajaj scooters and Lunas vibrated like cement mixers.

Lastly I dont think we can categorize it as a mo-ped because it never had a ped-al. Its was kick start with 2 or 3 gears. They were pretty fast too.

They eventually faded out because the Enfield company suffered from mismanagement and simply could not stand on its own feet. I just wish a progressive company like TVS had bought the rights to these.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:20   #79
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally I had a silver plus until recently (2003 - 2004) time-frame. I have to look around and see where it is because I know we didn't sell it. Lovely little bike to ride. Ours was the three-speed but I think a two-speed was also made. Cannot remember clearly. This little bike was my Aunt's and when I was very little she'd take me out of the house every-time she had a fight with my grandfather...I was just along for the ride and it was incredibly fun. Good memories on that bike...
Old 21st April 2011, 22:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Guru, you still have all those ^^ bikes? Amazing collection I must say!

Spike
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Lastly I dont think we can categorize it as a mo-ped because it never had a ped-al. Its was kick start with 2 or 3 gears. They were pretty fast too.
That is right, they were step-through bikes, not mopeds. IIRC the term MOPED was an acronym for "Motorised Pedalling Device"! But has anyone tried pedalling one of those? I tried to pedal a Suvega during my college days, but it was incredibly tough. I could neither imagine nor have seen anyone pedalling one to the nearest petrol bunk, the (supposed) USP of those things.

But there was one more contraption during the 70's - a regular bicycle fitted with a small engine. They were called "cycle motors"! There were quite a few of them and also cycle rickshaws fitted with motors.

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd April 2011 at 07:50.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:35   #82
BHPian

of the list we still have My dad's Narmada 150 Prince in running condition. I use when i got to my hometown. I Love riding it. Some some reason I have that attachment with it. It give us around 35km/L FE. I have many fond memories of first days or riding, falling, getting hurt.
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:31   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Your Explorer lies in "knocked down condition".hmm..mm
My 1985 ,CS 50 which came as CKD kits{ completely knocked down kits) from Germany & assembled at Enfield India
Was restored to its stock glory, just few weeks from know!!
This way:>>

Nice pics of the completely restored Explorer, how much did it cost you ? There is one explorer lying around for years at a friend's neighbour's garage. He is willing to give it to me for 500 bucks.Its like completely ripped apart. I would really hate to post its pics here as its in a disgusting condition though I really want to get it into my stable once again.

The rims look to be good, so is the gear box, the shifting is still smooth, the electricals and wiring look like they'll need to be changed.

The owner says that it has been there since the engine seized in 1996 and will need a new bore infact a complete cylinder kit

Dealers in Mumbai do not have spares for this ... anybody got leads where to get them at ??
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:37   #84
BHPian

I am on the look out for a cylinder kit for my KB100 RTZ. I have completed its restoration now and the engine needs a complete change over. I am unable to find a block piston, rings, crank, rods etc at any of the dealers here in Mumbai.

Anybody in Mumbai or Pune or surrounding areas who can help me locate a dealer who stocks these; please post.

The bike still runs well, gives me about 45-50 kms to a litre but I know something is not right in the engine.

I had done a last oversize in 2006 from a Parsi mechanic in Andheri however now that chappie has lost his charm in engine repairs.

Numerous emails to the Bajaj customer care have yielded no responses even though they reply with their canned responses that they are still working on it.

Please help me !!
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:05   #85
BHPian

@ritesh: try sterling motors at lamington road, he had quite a few spares for the KB100. had got the OE block/piston kit, and a carburetor from him, so he's worth a try. Also check out the shop by the name Gupta auto in Khar near Hotel Rajastan, he used to stock spares for most old 100cc Japs. Will try and see if i can get hold of a kit, through some other spare part shops, will keep you posted.
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

My Yezdi 350 Twin. Its not road legal but I still use it. Not road legal because I do not know how to register the bike as it was assembled at the Mysore factory by my mechanic. Paid 15k for it. Registration papers of another bike were available for sale back in 2005 but the asking price was too high so I ditched the deal. The pictures are from 2 road trips I did. One to Gooty for train spotting and the other to Gokarna in 2004.

The bike is still in ship shape. I don't use it much these days. My primary ride is a Enfield 500. I don't use the bike much cause I want to avoid any mechanic touching it. It has clocked just 12000km and returns an excellent 29kmpl on highway runs done at 90+. The max comfortable speed for this bike is 100 Kmph. Anything above this and it does not feel very stable. The bike runs off a cdi unit. The stock electrical system is based on points ignition system. I had the cdi fixed while assembling the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-gokarna-002_copy.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-gooty3-002_copy.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2011, 15:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My Yezdi 350 Twin. Its not road legal but I still use it. Not road legal because I do not know how to register the bike as it was assembled at the Mysore factory by my mechanic. Paid 15k for it. Registration papers of another bike were available for sale back in 2005 but the asking price was too high so I ditched the deal. The pictures are from 2 road trips I did. One to Gooty for train spotting and the other to Gokarna in 2004.

The bike is still in ship shape. I don't use it much these days. My primary ride is a Enfield 500. I don't use the bike much cause I want to avoid any mechanic touching it. It has clocked just 12000km and returns an excellent 29kmpl on highway runs done at 90+. The max comfortable speed for this bike is 100 Kmph. Anything above this and it does not feel very stable. The bike runs off a cdi unit. The stock electrical system is based on points ignition system. I had the cdi fixed while assembling the bike.

That is a beauty you have Sandeep. I love the sound of Y350. 15k is a steal! Happy to know you are taking good care of it.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:48   #88
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
In the early 80's Enfield had introduced a similar 2-speed 65 cc bike (moped) called Silver Plus in collaboration with Zundapp of Germany. It was a resounding flop however.
We had a chemistry teacher for class 11 back in school who used to commute to school on his Silver Plus. His bike was all chrome unlike the one posted in this blog post

My Royal Enfields: Enfield Silver Plus

Though it was a source of entertainment for all others seeing him tugging alond two kids on this moped, what caught my eye was the Zundapp badge on the crankcase and the mint-like condition it was maintained in.
Old 24th April 2011, 03:18   #89
BHPian

Good Thread!!

Ah the Fury! Long since I heard that mentioned! applause! (gearbox and A-S-S excluded)

Anyone know of any for sale? Restoration?
Old 24th April 2011, 15:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Is some one aware of this bike, was designed by Gautam Sen on a Enfield fury as base. Used to get featured on the eveready commercial

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-designbigimg01.jpg

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-designbigimg03.jpg

Just wonder where the bike is.

Source: http://gautamsen.com/design.php

Last edited by manishalive : 24th April 2011 at 15:23.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks