Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 19:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Thanks Rehaan for the wonderful review. And another great touch was the addition of the comparison between TSI and TDI by an owner of the latter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• Silver lining – will we be seeing this engine in the Polo & Vento anytime soon? Their current 1.6L petrol engine isn’t anything to write home about. The 1.4 TSI would be a great upgrade for power and fuel efficiency too. Though, a little birdie says that we’ll be seeing the 1.2 TSI in the Polo instead, along with a DSG `box (early in 2013).
Yes, actually the 1.2TSI is the worldwide replacement for the current 1.6L. Probably we are the only market where they still sell the aged 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The diesel Jetta has more power, torque, efficiency, practicality & (almost certainly) superior resale. The Jetta is my favourite car from the D1 segment, but it has to be with that wonderful 2.0L Diesel. If I wanted a petrol, I'd either buy Japanese or then, pick the cheaper + more powerful Laura 1.8L TSI.
Or only if someone really wanted the added airbags and ESP. Safety is the only positive I can think (over the Laura Ambition TSI). Infact, even the well-loaded Laura vRS may come cheaper than the Comfortline 1.4TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Without wanting to jinx myself as a Superb TSi At owner, only 1 out of 15 odd Superb TSi AT owners I know has had a DSG failure in about 2 years of ownership - so while we do seem to have a close 100% failure rate on Team BHP, it is not as high in the real world ( though I do agree that various other problems keep cropping up). Sorry for drifting off topic, but I do think people on this forum are getting irrationally paranoid about the 7 speed DSG.
As you mentioned cost definitely maybe a reason, but I do feel that VW maybe staying away from the 7AT due to the reliability issues, and the resultant noise. Agree that in other markets almost all the small petrol cars from VAG are sold with this same 7AT, but 1 failure out of 15 (in India) is still a big number, considering the fact that this occurrence is just with one model. Or probably they are waiting to get the issues fixed before getting the transmission in a new model.

Slightly OT, this maybe an interesting bit of info for you (from Singapore): Volkswagen calls in 8,000 cars for 'upgrade'

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2012 at 19:34. Reason: Fixed gear-knob pic - Thanks!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 19:33   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really doubt whether VW is deliberately staying away from the DQ 200 - it is a core gearbox used by VW in much more important markets for the company. I think cost is probably a more important driver, the DSG variant would cost more than a similarly equipped diesel manual. Would you also say that Skoda stayed away from the DQ 200 for the Laura as the Laura is a more important model than the Superb? The fact is that all these models are low volume, and increasing variants adds costs without adequate benefits.
I've quoted what .anshuman has said just as an additional reason that most of us might overlook (not "the only" reason). I for one didn't know that the DQ200 was the only DSG box that could be paired with this 1.4 TSI until i read his post. That said, the only reason i could think of for VW including a DSG on the petrol Jetta (whilst not on the Laura) is the higher pricing / more premium image it aims for.

Quote:
only 1 out of 15 odd Superb TSi AT owners I know has had a DSG failure in about 2 years of ownership - so while we do seem to have a close 100% failure rate on Team BHP, it is not as high in the real world
Every single person i (personally) know who has the TSI AT Superb has had gearbox problems! Some are on TBHP, some are not - but yep, naturally most happy customers don't go out of their way to report things as much as unhappy ones do.

Also, do click the link included with .anshuman's quote. It points to a thread which mentions that Skoda has officially acknowledged it as a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Production shot on location for the TSI launch media campaign.
Did you have issues with flicker on that DSLR footage since you were under fluorescent lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Also isn't Linea T-Jet cheaper than this? It might not be a D segment car but it is a much better package loaded to the brim with gadgets.
Space wise you can't really compare the two cars - and thats one big differentiator between segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Is it launched only to boost Jetta TDI sales?
Either ways, VW is at profit!
Both excellent points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Any idea what kind of FE this car could return? The only reason someone would actually buy this car would be if it returned 50 kmpl!
My slightly educated guess, based on MID readings on a very short "normal" drive : 8-10 kpl in rush hour traffic, and 10-12 kpl on open city roads.

Quote:
PS : THe Laura TSI is offered in only the base variant (Ambition). THere is no mid variant for the petrol.
Actually "Active" is the base variant (i wish they hadn't changed these around just when we figured out what they meant).

But you've got a point, i think the base (Active) variant seems to have been discontinued. Unfortunately, the Skoda India site still mentions it, and dealers gave us the pricing too - hence it showed up in our price chart. Will remove it.

Thanks,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2012 at 20:55.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 19:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Great review Rehaan! Rated 5 stars!

The Jetta TSI is definitely going on our 2013 list of probable cars. We'd be looking to replace our Civic, so the Jetta seems like a great buy. The lack of features doesn't bother us much, as long as the car sticks to its core (great engine, great gearbox, great chassis & suspension) Besides, it can be mistaken for an Audi at the back.

But at that price, it's hard to ignore the Laura vRS.

I'm really looking forward to the future Polos and Ventos, for this engine alone!
Old 1st July 2012, 20:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Did you have issues with flicker on that DSLR footage since you were under fluorescent lighting?
No, modifying the shutter speed takes care of it + we used Kino Flos when necessary.

We've had the car with us for almost two weeks, feel free to ask us any questions that haven't been answered already
genjew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 20:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

As always, a super awesome review.

Not to be compared but I would still like to know how the engine compares to Fiat's 1.4 Turbo petrol.

I cannot understand why VW strip so much of equipment from a car that belongs to a segment that defaults things like USB Bluetooth stereo, Climate Control and 5 alloy wheels.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st July 2012 at 20:24.
Old 1st July 2012, 20:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

I really don't get the small-engine-in-a-big-car logic.

- Corolla 1.4D and Jetta 1.4TSI are NOT significantly cheaper than their respective competition.

- Corolla 1.4D and Jetta 1.4TSI do NOT offer significantly higher fuel efficiency than their respective competition. Now if these 1.4 twins were to offer 20 or 30% higher fuel efficiency, then I would understand. But 10%? Doesn't make any sense.

Psst, Rehaan - Nice shot of the moving Jetta. Need more such shots for the future official reviews.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 20:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I cannot understand why VW strip so much of equipment from a car that belongs to a segment that defaults things like USB Bluetooth stereo, Climate Control and 5 alloy wheels.
A Jetta with a long list of features and equipment may make the Passat @ 30 lakhs look redundant. Climate-Control is not something I'd miss, but I'd certainly expect the other little things.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 21:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

A Jetta with a long list of features and equipment may make the Passat @ 30 lakhs look redundant. Climate-Control is not something I'd miss, but I'd certainly expect the other little things.
How many Passats is VW selling anyway? They seriously need to get their pricing right. Both Passat and Jetta are grossly overpriced.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
How many Passats is VW selling anyway? They seriously need to get their pricing right. Both Passat and Jetta are grossly overpriced.
Not much I guess, though there is a 3 month waiting period. Without even asking, I was given 1L off plus corporate discount. I don't think VW is going to do a price correction on either the Jetta or Passat. They will ultimately be forced to dish out big discounts on the petrol Jetta for sure.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There aren't too many. But even that will completely dwindle away. With competition coming from their own family the Superb. Anyway, I may be wrong. That's just me tying out a different way of looking at things.

I've seen quite a few Jettas off late, and it's a really handsome car. With the 1.4 making 120 horses, it should be more than enough for us. I'm glad they haven't gone and slapped a boot on the back of a Golf like they had done earlier.

Perhaps VW are reserving the better kit for later variants?
Old 1st July 2012, 23:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

Rather than plonking this engine in the Jetta, VW should have gone and put this in the Vento and also given the DSG7 speed as an option.

Sporty petrol engine and good FE at probably a tad lower than the diesel price. The petrol would have sold in few more numbers than in Jetta. Why you ask? because it would have been the best petrol motor in the segment compared to the VTVT Fluidic verna and the class leading honda 1.5L.

The problem of placing this engine in the Jetta is that the competition has very good petrol motors already. The Civic has a fantastic rev happy 1.8L engine, the Altis' new Dual VVTi engine is a gem to drive and is butter smooth. Then you have the Laura TSi which is in a different league when it comes to performance.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 23:14   #27
BHPian

Nice review Rehan. Thanks for that. Well the Jetta has always been a mystery car to me. Always out of reach and now with the Vento coming into play a couple of years ago the Jetta that was around a bit longer has become a rare sight. I wonder what the sales figures are like. The diesel engine is no doubt a gem (2.0 TDI) but then a thought for what would become of the D1 segment cars in general (Ref : GTO's thread a couple of days earlier).
Seems we will have a "Breeze" version of this petrol very soon for IPL6 perhaps.
Old 2nd July 2012, 00:37   #28
BHPian

Re: Engine & Driving Experience

Quote:

Tailpipes are identical between the petrol and the diesel:

Was the 'got BHP?' sticker stuck on purpose? It certainly doesn't have.(ironically)

God knows what Volkswagen was thinking while launching this and He only knows who will buy this.
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:12   #29
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine & Driving Experience

Quote:
What are the reasons for picking the Jetta TSI over the Jetta Diesel (or the Laura TSI)?
As someone who has reviewed both Laura vRS and Jetta TSI, how do you compare both cars from a driver’s perspective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I really don't get the small-engine-in-a-big-car logic.
- Corolla 1.4D and Jetta 1.4TSI are NOT significantly cheaper than their respective competition.
The 1.4 TSI is not quite a slow mover like the Altis D engine. Whether it is good or bad, this trend looks like the future. Looks like Europeans are leading the act of downsizing.

And there are many more examples like this – 1.6 TDI Skoda Superb, 1.2 TSI Skoda Yeti, 1.6 T4 Volvo S80, 1.6 Merc C-Class etc.

In a way, I am happy with this introduction. At least now we are getting aligned with what is being sold globally. Hopefully, next in line is the replacement of the old 1.6 with the 1.2TSI (in Polo, Fabia, Vento etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Rather than plonking this engine in the Jetta, VW should have gone and put this in the Vento and also given the DSG7 speed as an option.
Sporty petrol engine and good FE at probably a tad lower than the diesel price. The petrol would have sold in few more numbers than in Jetta. Why you ask? because it would have been the best petrol motor in the segment compared to the VTVT Fluidic verna and the class leading honda 1.5L.
Good point, and since Vento is not really an international model, they do have room to experiment. Otherwise, the default engine option for VAG small cars (below Jetta/Octavia) is the 1.2 TSI (105bhp). AFAIK, the only exceptions are Polo GTI and Fabia vRS (with 180 bhp state)

And looking at the way VW pricing stratergies goes, a Vento 1.4 TSI DSG may very well touch 12-13 lakhs
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Even I am puzzled with this. Plonking a lower spec engine should result in a decreased price tag. But the Altis diesel is ridiculously overpriced. Although as an after thought does Toyota really has an option? Since they would be keen to maintain that arbitrary 1L difference between Petrol and diesel siblings or else the diesel will cannibalize the already sad petrol sales. Similarly VW is following the strange policy of maintaining a hefty premium over Skoda without offering anything extra.

Quote:
- Corolla 1.4D and Jetta 1.4TSI do NOT offer significantly higher fuel efficiency than their respective competition. Now if these 1.4 twins were to offer 20 or 30% higher fuel efficiency, then I would understand. But 10%? Doesn't make any sense.
The Altis diesel does offer you a very healthy FE of 18+ kmpl in city traffic. Not too sure about the Jetta petrol though. according to Rehaan it would return an average of around 10-11 kmpl. Doesn't the 1.8 TSI also return similar figures with an average of around 10 kmpl?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks