Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:26   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine & Driving Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not to be compared but I would still like to know how the engine compares to Fiat's 1.4 Turbo petrol.
The way the power comes on for the Fiat is a lot less linear () - making it much more entertaining! Though overall, i think the TSI has the driveability advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Psst, Rehaan - Nice shot of the moving Jetta. Need more such shots for the future official reviews.
Thanks. Hope to include more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Jetta TSI is definitely going on our 2013 list of probable cars.
- Reasons you or your family would pick this over the Laura TSI?
- Reasons you'd pick this over the 2.0 TDI Jetta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Was the 'got BHP?' sticker stuck on purpose? It certainly doesn't have.(ironically)
Hey - "got bhp?" is a question isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As someone who has reviewed both Laura vRS and Jetta TSI, how do you compare both cars from a driver’s perspective?
You can't fault the Jetta's stance or on-road behaviour in any way. Its a solid and confidence inspiring car - just like the Laura.

Engine wise, it always feels like you're pushing the Jetta, whereas on the Laura - its just effortless. I wish i could hear more of the 1.8 TSI though, it was too quiet, especially at higher RPMs. The Jetta engine on the other hand is too present. Though in some ways you can have more fun pushing a smaller engined car to its limits, than you can under-utilizing a powerful car!

One of the favourite things about my vRS drive was the run back to Bombay on the expressway. Not only did it manage high speeds well, but overtaking was as simple as putting your foot down and blasting past the car ahead of you. You just can't do this with the 1.4 TSI.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Rehhan - good review. Thank you!

Pointless launch by VW. For people looking at a good urban car whcih is efficient, there is Corolla, significantly cheaper. For thrill-seekers on the highway, there is the far more powerful Laura TSI, which is again cheaper.

I cannot think of a single person who will pick up this half hearted attempt from VW. Well maybe people who wants a German car and is scared of Skoda due to their service reputation.

If i have to buy a petrol car in D1 segment (a big If at that), then it will be Laura TSI (heart) or a Corolla (head). I wont even bother to TD this car.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd July 2012 at 09:29.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:32   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
We've had the car with us for almost two weeks, feel free to ask us any questions that haven't been answered already
1) Have you driven on the highway much? Did you notice excessive wind noise?
2) Anything you strongly agree or disagree with in my review?

cya
R
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:42   #34
Team-BHP Support

Rehaan,

A suggestion.

For an academic delight, it would be good to compare how this engine
stands against the Fiat T-Jet, whose power stands almost in the same range.
(114 versus 120).

That would bring out the technicalities and associated qualities nicely.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2012 at 09:44.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
My slightly educated guess, based on MID readings on a very short "normal" drive : 8-10 kpl in rush hour traffic, and 10-12 kpl on open city roads.
The only logical reason for plonking the 1.4Tsi instead of a 1.8Tsi would be higher FE. Under 'normal' driving conditions, even the 1.8tsi return FE in the levels of 7.5-8.5 in rush hour traffic and 11-12 in open city roads. And at the same time you've way more power on tap, across the rpm range. As you've driven both the vRS and the Jetta Tsi, is the drivability even better in the latter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
As someone who has reviewed both Laura vRS and Jetta TSI, how do you compare both cars from a driver’s perspective?
+1 to that Jetta TDI handles better and has a more mature suspension setup than Laura TDI. Bet the case should be same btw Jetta Tsi and regular Laura Tsi. Hows it compared to the vRS?

Overall I wonder how this is going to sell at this price point. With the discounts being offered currently on the vRS, which has much better level of equipment (lacking only ESP, a pair of airbags), add to that better refinement, way more power, similiar FE, i dont see how this is going to sell.

Better looks, more legroom and a VW badge. Cant see anything more on offer over the Skoda cousin. Good luck VW.
Old 2nd July 2012, 09:55   #36
BHPian

Superb review. As already mentioned, the car is way too overpriced for the engine and HP on offer. With an attractive price tag, it would have had several buyers who are looking at C2 or D1 segments.

It would be a mouthwatering prospect to have this TSi motor in the Vento or Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Even I am puzzled with this. Plonking a lower spec engine should result in a decreased price tag. But the Altis diesel is ridiculously overpriced. Although as an after thought does Toyota really has an option? Since they would be keen to maintain that arbitrary 1L difference between Petrol and diesel siblings or else the diesel will cannibalize the already sad petrol sales. Similarly VW is following the strange policy of maintaining a hefty premium over Skoda without offering anything extra.
The Altis and Jetta have their petrol vs diesel engine outputs reversed when compared to each other. While the Jetta has a more potent diesel (both engine CC & BHP), the higher price of the diesel can be justified. But with the Altis, it is a blasphemy to price the diesel variant higher than the petrol which generates almost 50+ more HP and has 400 cc more on displacement. Just because the diesel car sales will cannibalize petrol car sales, Toyota had this ingenuous approach of inflating the Altis D's pricing. Only they could have got away with this.....or have they? I wouldn't question Jetta's petrol variant pricing as much as I would despise Toyota's strategy of puny engine-higher price strategy with the Altis D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Altis diesel does offer you a very healthy FE of 18+ kmpl in city traffic.
That is more than just healthy. Which city are we talking about here?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 2nd July 2012 at 09:56.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the great review but seriously pointless car ( especially at this price ). Inspite of the handsome European looks and the no-nonsense interiors, why would anyone buy this ? the top reasons Rehaan has mentioned itself is a giveaway to the fact that there is no REAL reason to pick this one up

wish VW had priced it significantly lower than where it was to tempt some bargain hunters to go for it.

also the dead pedal could have been done away with. neither is it broad enough to accomdate your feet nor does it leave any space between the clutch pedal and the wheel well
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
But with the Altis, it is a blasphemy to price the diesel variant higher than the petrol which generates almost 50+ more HP and has 400 cc more on displacement. Just because the diesel car sales will cannibalize petrol car sales, Toyota had this ingenuous approach of inflating the Altis D's pricing. Only they could have got away with this.....or have they?
I totally agree with you. The Altis offers very less to do any justice to its price tag. But you would agree with me on this that there would still be a huge shift of customers to the diesel variant if it was priced closer to its petrol siblings. This would even overlook the puny engine part since most of the Altis's customers are no enthusiasts to begin with.

And hence regardless of the engine's capacity and performance Toyota has to price the car higher to give the petrol sibling any chance of surviving.

Quote:
That is more than just healthy. Which city are we talking about here?
The FE has stayed a constant 18+ always in the 8000 kms I have driven my car. The city is delhi and the traffic condition here is well known. Give it open roads and less traffic and the FE climbs to 19-20. Redline it and it falls to 18ish.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:38   #39
BHPian

Rehaan,
This kind of technological development on the engine needs a new row in your engine spec comparison.
Power / displacement - and Torque / displacement - will show how much the small engine is efficient over its siblings.

The Civic is displacing almost 28% more and still makes only 7% more power, showing that VW TSI is far efficient than the Civic.

What do you think.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
1) Have you driven on the highway much? Did you notice excessive wind noise?
2) Anything you strongly agree or disagree with in my review?

cya
R
No real highway runs yet though on any flat empty streches of road we've been enjoying the first gear and the PUNCH it gives way too much to pay attention to wind noise

The car we have with us for the shoot has had slight modifications eg. spacers etc so I don't actually know if we can compare it accurately to the version that will be available to consumers.

Having said that I actually found the engine idle hum to be almost non existent, often wondering if the engine had even been switched on. Infact it reminded me of the first time I sat in an i10 Kappa engine which I had found very quiet as well.

The exterior styling is very good. Great proportions and I often mistake it for an Audi myself!

The cabin insulation is great in Bombay traffic

FANTASTIC Horn! But it can't be tapped :(

Hope my responses don't come across as PR speak, they are sincere and I hope you fine folks enjoy the media campaign which should be launching very soon. I know one hears this a lot but something like this hasn't been done in India before. Also we have recomended to VW to ask Team-BHP members to be a part of it and I hope that happens.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2012 at 13:03. Reason: Thanks. Removing 3rd smiley. Will reply in a while.
genjew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

I understand that smaller petrol engines with turbos are the need of the day & the Europeans have quite a few good weapons in their arsenal. These engines are fuel efficient & cleaner as compared to bigger engines, but, the service cost of these could be higher (comparable to diesel) because of excessive wear & tear related caused by extracting bigger engine performance from the smaller engine.

However, 121 PS/bhp... doesn't that makes Fiat Linea T-Jet a serious bargain, if only you could live with lower grade interiors & lesser space. The T-Jet looks sexier from out & would definitely cost lesser to service with more number of A.S.S. to cater to.

Moreover, I was wondering how long the bigger car smaller engine combination (Jetta) & smaller car bigger engine (Vento) would go on, but, since one of the fellas has mentioned that Vento will get smaller turbo petrol by early 2013, I think this anomaly will soon be over. Moreover, I feel that 1.2 Turbo Petrol is much better as compared to 1.6 naturally aspirated one... , I understand.

Coming back to Jetta, IMO the cost is one big negative as it could have been cheaper a lot considering the mediocre tuning of the Turbo petrol, but, who will bell the cat (car companies from charging a premium for average products) .
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:27   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Reasons you'd pick this over the 2.0 TDI Jetta?
The Jetta wouldn't do more than 250 km a month. The extra we spend on a diesel may not be justified. But it all depends on future fuel-prices hikes.

Quote:
Still looking!
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:27   #43
Team-BHP Support

For those asking, i've made a quick mention of the 1.4 TSI vs the vRS and the T-jet in my earlier replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Power / displacement - and Torque / displacement - will show how much the small engine is efficient over its siblings.
This is called "Specific Output" in technical terms, (or BHP/Liter is more colloquial speak). We will have this data available for all Indian cars soon, in a comparable format

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
....Having said that I actually found the engine idle hum to be almost non existent, often wondering if the engine had even been switched on.
Hmmm. This is part of the reason i was asking you.

After completing my review, i did take a look at another publication's TSI review where they mention that it has a very quiet / silent motor. Not exactly the words i would use -- and that made me wonder if the car we had might have gone through some abuse or had something wrong with it (though it really didn't seem like it). Will try and give another TSI a spin, or wait to hear back from other members.

Thanks,
R
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:19   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Still looking!
Few that I can think of

- Better rear seat comfort
- Aversion to the Skoda Brand
- Model is fresh in its life cycle compared to the Laura
- Better safety kit
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:20   #45
BHPian

Hii GTO,
Great review as usual. Just one little query here.
You wrote 'Improved space; rear seat can easily accommodate taller occupants'. Does that mean they have made ergonomic changes with the seats as compared to the Diesel ongoing model?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks