Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 17:56   #1621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't think idling for a while is going to help and you will get same results on service intervals or on your driver profile when they hook your car to the server.
That's reassuring as the service advisor also said the same. For some reasons, I was not willing to agree to his advise.

The car is so fun and satisfying that I love to take it out every morning, even for a short drive. Any longer, I will get caught in Bangalore's traffic and my 2 minutes commute will become 20 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Your SA is correct. You can assume the service interval comes down by half or one-third if you only use the car for short trips.
I am diligently following CBS Schedule and the car goes to Navnit Motors, Bangalore. So far the battery has not complained and still looks healthy at 15V peak. Every weekend I do a 30 km run, essentially weekly mall duty to please my little girl. Keeping a battery charger is good advice. Let me get one soon.

With regards to service interval, the car has done 27k. I got rear brake service done (as indicated by iDrive) at 22k - pads, sensors and fluids were changed, service advisor said the discs were okay. If I remember correctly, I paid around 17k. I recently topped up 1 litre engine oil as a warning came and I was in Goa. So decided not to take a chance.

Now, Engine Oil service is due in another 1500 kms. The last engine oil service was done at 17k.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2018 at 22:49. Reason: trimmed quoted post
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 09:49   #1622
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
With regards to service interval, the car has done 27k. I got rear brake service done (as indicated by iDrive) at 22k - pads, sensors and fluids were changed, service advisor said the discs were okay. If I remember correctly, I paid around 17k. I recently topped up 1 litre engine oil as a warning came and I was in Goa. So decided not to take a chance.

Now, Engine Oil service is due in another 1500 kms. The last engine oil service was done at 17k.
27K km in three years is pretty normal usage. Since you said 600m daily commute, I was expecting 2-3K KM per year Also Rs 17K is too less for pads and fluid/filter service, maybe it was just pads?
Old 7th February 2018, 13:20   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
27K km in three years is pretty normal usage. Since you said 600m daily commute, I was expecting 2-3K KM per year Also Rs 17K is too less for pads and fluid/filter service, maybe it was just pads?
Overall usage has been okay but it's just the last 6 months my daily commute has come down as I moved close to office. Earlier, I would do a lot of long distance travel especially Bangalore - Hyderabad but now the traffic volume on the highway has gone up increasing the travel time.

My last service bill was as following -

Repair Kit - 10,966.41
Brake Pad pa - 139.06
Brake Pad we - 2,388.98
Brake Fluid - 592.86
SGST on Parts: 1805.35
CGST on Parts: 1805.35
Service, rear brakes - 1,330
Service - Standard Scope - 380
Brake Fluid Service - 760
SGST: 222.30
CGST:222.30
Total Service Cost: 20,612.61

As much as I remember, brakes were serviced for the first time so I have no way to cross check in this car at least. Do you reckon it's less than what it should be?
Old 7th February 2018, 22:16   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
That's reassuring as the service advisor also said the same. For some reasons, I was not willing to agree to his advise.

The car is so fun and satisfying that I love to take it out every morning, even for a short drive. Any longer, I will get caught in Bangalore's traffic and my 2 minutes commute will become 20 minutes
I have a similar or worse problem because I work from home (, however, I drop my son at the metro station every morning (6 kms up/down) and make sure the operating temp needle is at the centre before I switch off. I presume this is sufficient to keep the engine in shape. Of course, I do have some official local drives, mall/restaurant drives and long drives.

You may be better off taking that 20 min detour to office, else as others suggested, just walk!
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 10:13   #1625
Senior - BHPian

From my experience, diesel engines coolant temp do take longer to warm up as compared to petrol engines. My Octavia TSI warms up even before I pull out from my parking space. Thats probably 1 minute of idle time (auto-choke at cold start) and then between leaving the main gate of the colony. Before I hit my first KM, the coolant temp is already at 90. Where as if I take the Innova, it doesn't hit the 90 mark even after 10 minutes, its barely above 'cold'. I should not generalise but this is what I observe between petrol and diesel engines.

Now what I also observe on my daily commute, which is about 7 kms one way, takes me almost 10 minutes every day of the week. The engine oil temperature in that commute never reaches max (105-110 C).

Over short commutes, things like the battery, brakes and engine oil are the most hit. Although VW-Skoda cars have been notorious for battery issues, I've had my fair share of 4 batteries in 4.5 years. 3 of which were OEM and then I opted for a local Exide one which is at least fine till now.

BMW uses AGM batteries so it does have a longer life as such, BMW knows that many to most of BMW India users don't use their beasts everyday or if they do, for short distances such in case here. I know from a lot of examples in my circle, the battery is good to last for at least 4-5 years even with short drives.

While on this thread, I'd like to update on my previous post on the line up of 3 series models in India, after reading the specification sheet (while the "build your bmw" feature is deactivated) I noticed that the 3 series is now available only in three color options: White, Black and Mediterranean Blue. This is for the Prestige, Edition Sport, Luxury Line. While the M sport 330i is only available in white or black, the unique Estoril blue is also discontinued.

The worst part for me was to learn that the interior options have been now cut down too for the Luxury line to only two options: Oyster or Beige.
Where as for the M Sport 330i it still has Brown, Black or Black options.

My dream combination of the Saddle Brown / Blue Luxury line seems to be a distant dream now.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:59   #1626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My last service bill was as following -

Repair Kit - 10,966.41
Brake Pad pa - 139.06
Brake Pad we - 2,388.98
Brake Fluid - 592.86
SGST on Parts: 1805.35
CGST on Parts: 1805.35
Service, rear brakes - 1,330
Service - Standard Scope - 380
Brake Fluid Service - 760
SGST: 222.30
CGST:222.30
Total Service Cost: 20,612.61

As much as I remember, brakes were serviced for the first time so I have no way to cross check in this car at least. Do you reckon it's less than what it should be?
It looks like brake paste and cleaning service. Doesn't look like pads are changed. No oil and filter change. If you are still on original pads at 27k km, it's impressive. You must be a careful driver. Did you ask for the repair kit? They always sneak in few unwanted things. Overall I find BMW service costs to be less than others due to my low usage and CBS.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:00   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Since there's no official thread for the X1 posting my query here. My one year old x1(nov 2016) with just 4100kms on the odo had a tyre burst few days back. Hit a pothole @ around 80kmph, heard a loud bang and TPMS warning came up soon. Used the space saver to return home and fortunately the alloy isn't damaged. This is the first time I'm having a tyre burst. Learnt the lesson hard way.

I had my share of concerns about these very low profile RFTs with thin side walls during delivery itself and had tried to swap them but finally decided against it due to unavailability and I didn't want to gamble on my first bimmer. Living with RFTs for an year made me realise they aren't suitable for our road conditions. 225/50 R18 is a low profile spec with very less stiff RFT rubber to absorb impact and that means on broken roads were normal cars can easily pass @ 40kmph, I had to slow down to below 20kmph to feel comfortable. They ride fine on good roads though. I also feel these RFTs are getting stiffer as it ages.

So a word of caution to new 3GT as well as X1 owners- if your car has 18 inch wheels with RFT it's better to swap them to Tubeless on delivery unless you plan to drive at very high speeds on the express way. Seems like my present RFTs will fetch nothing and no shop is ready to take them back. Add to that high road noise and stiff ride on broken roads.

BMW quoted 35k for a new RFT and at that price I don't want to buy another one of these and suffer for the rest of my cars life. Thinking of upsizing to 235/50 R18 tubeless(same size as GLA) as that will give some more sidewall as well as width. Clearances are tight in the wheel well for the new X1 so I have my doubts about that too. Then comes the availability trouble. All over Cochin the only tyre available in this size is Yokohama C drive 2(AC02). Is this a good option? I haven't used Yokohamas so don't know how they are in Indian driving conditions. It would be very helpful if someone could guide me on the performance of these tyres.
Faced the same issue on the 7th day of purchasing X1, hit a pot hole at 40-50kmph and tyre deflated and tpms warned of 0 pressure. Report came that casing cords were damaged, hitting potholes isnt something we cant avoid on our roads,

Also this happened with 17 inch wheels which are higher profile
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:11   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
BMW uses AGM batteries so it does have a longer life as such, BMW knows that many to most of BMW India users don't use their beasts everyday or if they do, for short distances such in case here. I know from a lot of examples in my circle, the battery is good to last for at least 4-5 years even with short drives.
For me, this is my daily driver and used every day. If I am moving on wheels, the car moves with me. It's just I don't drive a lot as I used to do a few years ago. I have no issues with the battery as yet. In fact, my 2 year old Wagon R Stingray's battery died and was changed under warranty last month. My WagonR is driven more often.

Quote:
It looks like brake paste and cleaning service. Doesn't look like pads are changed. No oil and filter change. If you are still on original pads at 27k km, it's impressive. You must be a careful driver. Did you ask for the repair kit? They always sneak in few unwanted things. Overall I find BMW service costs to be less than others due to my low usage and CBS.
I guess the repair kit has Calipers, pads and sensor. I can say that because they had left the used set of pads in the trunk. Unless they cheated me, there's no reason for them to leave the used pads. I drive carefully and try not to slam the brakes and try planning the braking events, prefer engine braking over brakes. I agree, BMW's service costs are much less as compared to others. I recently experienced Volvo's service cost and they are bizarre at best.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:56   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
While on this thread, I'd like to update on my previous post on the line up of 3 series models in India, after reading the specification sheet (while the "build your bmw" feature is deactivated) I noticed that the 3 series is now available only in three color options: White, Black and Mediterranean Blue. This is for the Prestige, Edition Sport, Luxury Line. While the M sport 330i is only available in white or black, the unique Estoril blue is also discontinued.

The worst part for me was to learn that the interior options have been now cut down too for the Luxury line to only two options: Oyster or Beige.
Where as for the M Sport 330i it still has Brown, Black or Black options.

My dream combination of the Saddle Brown / Blue Luxury line seems to be a distant dream now.
Last i spoke to the dealer, they had the Imperial blue and Jatoba available as well. The Saddle Brown shade has been discontinued but they have new trim option called Cognac, the same as that being offered on the new 5 series. Its just a shade lighter than the Saddle Brown.
I took the delivery of the Mediterranean Blue Luxury Line with Cognac interiors just last month, so definitely this combination is available but they might have to call for it from the factory especially for you.
Old 9th February 2018, 15:12   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
I took the delivery of the Mediterranean Blue Luxury Line with Cognac interiors just last month, so definitely this combination is available but they might have to call for it from the factory especially for you.
Yes, I read your post and you even posted pics of the new cluster. Do share more interior images with the Cognac seats Also I read somewhere that the ambient lighting can be switched between white and orange? If so do post some pictures of those too!
Old 9th February 2018, 18:23   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I had my share of concerns about these very low profile RFTs with thin side walls during delivery itself and had tried to swap them but finally decided against it due to unavailability and I didn't want to gamble on my first bimmer. Living with RFTs for an year made me realise they aren't suitable for our road conditions. 225/50 R18 is a low profile spec with very less stiff RFT rubber to absorb impact and that means on broken roads were normal cars can easily pass @ 40kmph, I had to slow down to below 20kmph to feel comfortable. They ride fine on good roads though. I also feel these RFTs are getting stiffer as it ages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Faced the same issue on the 7th day of purchasing X1, hit a pot hole at 40-50kmph and tyre deflated and tpms warned of 0 pressure. Report came that casing cords were damaged, hitting potholes isnt something we cant avoid on our roads,

It appears low profile tyres are no good for Indian road conditions (potholes, broken roads etc.). The low profile radials work superbly in western countries where road network is pride of the nation or for that matter even in many countries in SE Asia where roads are well maintained.

Car manufacturers in India get enthusiastic and try to bring internationally successful tyre models (with good intent) to our country and the end customer suffers given the pathetic road conditions. In the western countries car insurance Companies will hold the county / city accountable for bad roads resulting in higher insurance claims. This does not exist in India and so broken roads in our cities or towns is 'acceptable' way with no accountability with those entrusted to maintain the road conditions.

On a similar note, the Toyota Innova Crysta owners in early 2017 also had wide spread issues with 17" rims with tyres having narrow side walls. Consequently Toyota temporarily went back to 16" rims with thicker side wall tyres resulting in virtually no customer complaints of tyre burst etc. thereafter. Currently Toyota claims to have 'fixed' the issue and reverted back to 17" rims with 215/55 R17 size tyres. Barring a few sporadic complaints, by and large not many complaints thereafter.

So, it may help in this case to look at options with thicker side wall tyres. Having spent so much on any car (specially the luxury segments), the last thing any owner wants is, additional cost on replacing tyres. But that is the reality here in India, those responsible are not held accountable for existing hazardous and unmaintained road conditions.

In summary, even though car manufactures in India want to give the Indian customer 'the latest and greatest' (tyres in this context), the country's road conditions speaks otherwise and do not encourage ownership of fancy wheels enjoyed by other customers owning similar cool products in other countries.
geotracks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 19:06   #1632
BHPian

Quote:

I guess the repair kit has Calipers, pads and sensor. I can say that because they had left the used set of pads in the trunk. Unless they cheated me, there's no reason for them to leave the used pads. I drive carefully and try not to slam the brakes and try planning the braking events, prefer engine braking over brakes. I agree, BMW's service costs are much less as compared to others. I recently experienced Volvo's service cost and they are bizarre at best.
Did the iDrive indicate that brakepad needs replacement? My iDrive still shows 50-60K for brakepad replacement (same as on date of purchase) even though I have done close to 8K kms in 10 months. Does it suddenly drop kms one fine day? I am also a careful driver like you!
Old 10th February 2018, 10:48   #1633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Did the iDrive indicate that brakepad needs replacement? My iDrive still shows 50-60K for brakepad replacement (same as on date of purchase) even though I have done close to 8K kms in 10 months. Does it suddenly drop kms one fine day? I am also a careful driver like you!
Yes it will suddenly drop. The brake sensor has various stages, and you'll notice it'll suddenly drop to 28-30k, and there after another big step.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 16:14   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
It appears low profile tyres are no good for Indian road conditions (potholes, broken roads etc.). The low profile radials work superbly in western countries where road network is pride of the nation or for that matter even in many countries in SE Asia where roads are well maintained.

Car manufacturers in India get enthusiastic and try to bring internationally successful tyre models (with good intent) to our country and the end customer suffers given the pathetic road conditions. In the western countries car insurance Companies will hold the county / city accountable for bad roads resulting in higher insurance claims. This does not exist in India and so broken roads in our cities or towns is 'acceptable' way with no accountability with those entrusted to maintain the road conditions

In summary, even though car manufactures in India want to give the Indian customer 'the latest and greatest' (tyres in this context), the country's road conditions speaks otherwise and do not encourage ownership of fancy wheels enjoyed by other customers owning similar cool products in other countries.
Agree wholeheartedly....
My previous drive MB B180 sport had relatively low profile tyres 225/45 R17 (continental contisport contact 5) and I had to replace all 4 in less than 2 years and 18k km due to various blowout incidents ....
Even minor potholes or stones were a risk at any speed.

In comparison, BMW provided Potenza RFTs 225/50 R17 have been trouble free over 21k km so far
Old 12th February 2018, 13:15   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post

Sorry to hear about this. I swapped all of my tyres to tubeless with an upsize to 235/50 R18 for more width and sidewall. I have shared my experience here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post4347405

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ml#post4348701

As written above the car has completely transformed. Yesterday we went in for a long drive and X1 continues to impress. Great ride comfort, silent cabin and good dynamics makes it an excellent cruiser. Can't wait to take her out now. That wasn't the case earlier. Ride has improved so much that it can even rival the low slung Jetta. May be X1 has some more vertical movements due to being an SAV but still very impressive. Please note I upsized to 235/50 R18 from 225/50 R18(very low profile) and that may be the reason why despite an increase in side wall there's no perceptible difference in handling. Yesterday for the first time I was able to hear whispering wind noise from ORVMS at high speed. Earlier the drone from RFTs used to mute everything out. Now I am really starting to enjoy the smooth & creamy B47 and transmission combo. Jetta in comparison feels rough in terms of NVH. Now that's a lot of changes a simple tyre swap has brought in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

Car manufacturers in India get enthusiastic and try to bring internationally successful tyre models (with good intent) to our country and the end customer suffers given the pathetic road conditions. In the western countries car insurance Companies will hold the county / city accountable for bad roads resulting in higher insurance claims. This does not exist in India and so broken roads in our cities or towns is 'acceptable' way with no accountability with those entrusted to maintain the road conditions.

So, it may help in this case to look at options with thicker side wall tyres. Having spent so much on any car (specially the luxury segments), the last thing any owner wants is, additional cost on replacing tyres. But that is the reality here in India, those responsible are not held accountable for existing hazardous and unmaintained road conditions.

You are absolutely right and that's why I decided to upsize with an increase in sidewall too. Yesterday I passed through the same road where I had the tyre blow out and got a glimpse of the exact pothole that blew my tyre. I was surprised to see that it wasn't a deep one! It was a square patch on the road with some tar missing on it. I hope that the tubeless with increased sidewall would handle blowouts equal or better than low profile RFTs. No matter how good a car is, if the tyres are poor/mismatch for road conditions we wont be able to enjoy the car to its fullest. Until now the upsize & tubeless swap has done wonders to the overall usability of the X1. Hoping there are no further surprises in store. I really hope manufacturers (especially BMW) would test their cars with higher profile tubeless tyres in our driving conditions before launching them in India. A 0.2 sec less to 100kmph or completing a lap on a track doesn't contribute anything to day to day usability of cars. Especially when you realise how much you gain from better tyres. Boasting about the track times in Nürburgring is of no use when I will be using the car in India after all.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks