Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 06:02   #1696
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
...However, they suggested me to replace brake fluid in second service? I thought it wasnt required. Also, they suggested to change the air filter and a/c filter. My car has run just 8000 km. Also should I get a tyre rotation and alignment done from an outside professional tyre shop?
Recently, I had the first service of my 330iGT and I don't remember any mention of brake fluid change. But I think it is a standard practice to change the oil and air filters.

It would be definitely cheaper to get the wheel alignment done outside. Just make sure what type of tire rotation is recommended for RFTs.

Last edited by graaja : 2nd August 2018 at 06:03.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:38   #1697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Recently, I had the first service of my 330iGT and I don't remember any mention of brake fluid change. But I think it is a standard practice to change the oil and air filters.

It would be definitely cheaper to get the wheel alignment done outside. Just make sure what type of tire rotation is recommended for RFTs.
Usually brake fluid change is a time based interval fed into the CBS system and you can see next change due date in the iDrive. My X3 is due for its first brake fluid change this month and the iDrive has popped up a reminder warning (in red) after 2.5 years/ 35k kms.

Regarding alignment, I prefer BMW authorised centre alignment once every 15k kms or so due to the (supposed) complex four wheel alignment for the xDrive X3. But I do balancing and 4 wheel tyre rotation outside once every 7,500 kms. As per BMW, tyre rotation is not required for X drive AWD vehicles. But I found that tyres tend to wear out a bit unevenly if left unrotated and regular rotation helps extend tyre life.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd August 2018 at 10:49.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 14:49   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

I thought the same but it turns out since mine only showed an Engine Oil Service, they only topped up the engine oil and performed a routine check and they didn't change any other filters which was quite surprising. Any possibility this happened because of the BSI?
shovan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:16   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
...Any possibility this happened because of the BSI?
Usually, they always change oil filter during oil service. I may be wrong in assuming they changed the air filter and AC filter in my car. I will have to check the invoice and confirm. Will do this early next week.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:34   #1700
BHPian

My 2 cents of jobs under BSI packages:-

Whenever a job is being carried out under BSI, service center will give you an invoice to sign. They will not give you a copy of same. Carefully check that invoice. The job done / cost will be mentioned in that invoice, which they will charge to BMW India. I have seen (in 3yrs) service center try to do this in a hurry as if it’s just a paper work. But, be careful to check what is mentioned there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
I thought the same but it turns out since mine only showed an Engine Oil Service, they only topped up the engine oil and performed a routine check and they didn't change any other filters which was quite surprising. Any possibility this happened because of the BSI?
It’s quite surprising just to top-up the engine oil in the name of Engine Oil service. Are you sure i-drive did not popped up “engine oil change”? It also shows every time you fire the engine up.

AC filter change is under BSI, depends on key reading, but AC disinfection is not under BSI. Once I did disinfection due to foul smell, and it worked like wonders, they charge around 3K for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Usually brake fluid change is a time based interval fed into the CBS system and you can see next change due date in the iDrive.
I agree with you, for me it was renewed @ 17000- km with a time frame, which came up in i-drive ages ago.

Cheers,
Sail
Sail is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:40   #1701
BHPian

Just got my 2nd service done at 9000 km. Was quite happy with the services offered from Navnit Electronic City. Will continue to go there in future... Finally, gifted myself the door LEDs which look quite neat! Still yet to get compliments from others

When I checked the air filter and a/c filters both were made in europe so guessing quality would be top notch! Trrow going in for wheel rotation, balancing, and alignment from an outside tyre shop. Ive shared the pics of my new LED door lights with the filters, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_3203.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_3207.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_3204.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_3205.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2018, 23:06   #1702
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Finally, gifted myself the door LEDs which look quite neat
That's pretty nice to look at and neat too as you said.

Looks like plug and play if I'm not wrong?! Can you share more images of how it is mounted on the door? I am interested in this.
Old 4th August 2018, 22:23   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That's pretty nice to look at and neat too as you said.

Looks like plug and play if I'm not wrong?! Can you share more images of how it is mounted on the door? I am interested in this.

It is just a plug and play. If you see the pic of the box I have posted, thats how it comes. The light is located under your door panel. The whole procedure takes maybe 10 minutes.
kiranjoshy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 11:49   #1704
BHPian

Hi going for road trip from mumbai to Nashik and then to poona and back to mumbai over Independence Day in my 320 d

Had a few questions
What time should I leave on wed morning ?
In two minds whether to carry the spare tire since need the boot space for luggage. The car has original rft
How is the road from Nashik to poona?

Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 17:50   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi going for road trip from mumbai to Nashik and then to poona and back to mumbai over Independence Day in my 320 d

Had a few questions
What time should I leave on wed morning ?
Depends on you but earlier the better. Anyways, you won't encounter too much traffic even if you start late. Most of the people would be heading south (or north).

Quote:
In two minds whether to carry the spare tire since need the boot space for luggage. The car has original rft
Not carrying it should be okay I guess. Punctures are easy to repair at road side shops. Or you can even keep filling air till you reach the next city to get it done at a decent tyre shop.

Quote:
How is the road from Nashik to poona?

Thanks
For the most part the road is decent now.
Old 15th August 2018, 08:00   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In two minds whether to carry the spare tire since need the boot space for luggage. The car has original rft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

Not carrying it should be okay I guess. Punctures are easy to repair at road side shops. Or you can even keep filling air till you reach the next city to get it done at a decent tyre shop.
If you can accomodate both then nothing like that. Even though the technique of filling air and keep driving sounds good, I don't think its the best solution in case of RFTs. Every time you lose air and wait for the car's systems to beep once the tyres lose a considerable amount again, you are putting pressure on your tyres. It would certainly lead to undue wear and tear with possible effects on the strength of that side wall. India is still surprisingly undeveloped in some stretches where you might not find a reliable puncture shop that easily. Also the reason for sticking with the RFTs for me was the reliability aspect when driving the car hard ( which one loves to do in a BMW). And I always ensured that I take care of those RFTs and hence dreaded any structural damage to the side wall by driving on without adequate air/no air.

Not to mention in the event of a more severe puncture/ side wall hit etc, you will be left stranded as you would not even get the OEM spec tyre that easily at small shops on the highway and calling RSA will mean you spoil your holiday.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:10   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Every time you lose air and wait for the car's systems to beep once the tyres lose a considerable amount again, you are putting pressure on your tyres. It would certainly lead to undue wear and tear with possible effects on the strength of that side wall. India is still surprisingly undeveloped in some stretches where you might not find a reliable puncture shop that easily.
Once the puncture is detected, one should not wait for the TPMS to show low pressure to refill air. I usually keep refilling based on the amount of leak. Not letting it go down below 22-25 or so is good enough for say 100 kms. RFTs anyway have a very strong sidewall which helps in such cases.

Mumbai-Nashik-Pune road is flooded with petrol pumps and road side repair shops so finding a decent puncture repair shop won't be difficult.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:25   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Once the puncture is detected, one should not wait for the TPMS to show low pressure to refill air. I usually keep refilling based on the amount of leak. Not letting it go down below 22-25 or so is good enough for say 100 kms. RFTs anyway have a very strong sidewall which helps in such cases.
Yes and part of that side wall's job is to prevent against tyre bursts at high speeds. Driving on a below recommended tyre pressure is going to damage it's strength. Also the hassle of repeated stops for air and the stress associated vs a 15 minute one time stop to change tyre is something that would depend on individual preference.

I feel it is better to take the spare. Ofcourse if leaving it is the only way one can accommodate the luggage then one has no choice left.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:33   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also the hassle of repeated stops for air and the stress associated vs a 15 minute one time stop to change tyre is something that would depend on individual preference.
Mumbai-Nashik-Pune road is quite decent with very little chance of such an event (puncture). Plus one can get the puncture repaired most probably within 5-10kms on that road and for that there will be no need to keep refilling and driving longer distance. An air pump (12v) could a good idea though.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 15:21   #1710
BHPian

Hello folks,
I need some advise on extended warranty/BSI.
I was under BSI Plus package (36,000 km/3 years) which is due to expire next month.
It has proven to be very poor VFM considering that I have done only 25,000 km so far. Apart from 3 regular services and fluid replacement/top up hardly anything else has been done.
Status of Brake pad/disks as seen on Idrive shows replacement due at 40-42,000 km. No way i can cover this in next 1 month!
Can anyone advise me if the reading as per Idrive is accurate ?
Is there anyway i can insist on brake pads/disks replacement even if it doesn't show up in the service notifications?
I am not planning to purchase an extension package for the BSI but will probably go in for extended warranty of 2 years.
Any pointers on expected cost of the extended warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks