pratiksinhal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 10:16   #167
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
Finally she comes home.
I will put up a detailed review soon.
Wow that looks nice. I suppose you got the delivery in Kolkata and drove it all the way to Siliguri. Can you please share the final OTR?
Old 5th January 2013, 10:45   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

The BMW 3 Series has taken the sales crown for the compact luxury sports sedan segment for the year 2012;

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-untitled.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 5th January 2013 at 10:54.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 00:00   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Wow that looks nice. I suppose you got the delivery in Kolkata and drove it all the way to Siliguri. Can you please share the final OTR?
I didn't drive it down to Siliguri. I used a Trailer like Karan to bring it to Siliguri.
The on road price for the car was - 36,88,144
Ex-Showroom 33,79,965
Temp Registration 9000 (I will get the permanent registration done in Siliguri which is about 1,88,169)
Insurance 79,549 (I managed a 40% Discount on the Actual Insurance)
BMW Secure 31,461 (I got BMW Secure Advance along with the BMW Secure - Advance covers the Wheels, Rims and the Hydrostatic Lock also)
pratiksinhal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 22:21   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

New 3 Series wins Autocar Asian Car of the Year 2013;

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-0_0_355_http__i.haymarket.net.au_extraimages_20130423052034_bmw3_series.jpg

Congrats to F30 Owners

Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/sh...-car-year-2013
Old 5th May 2013, 13:53   #171
BHPian

Autocar Asian Car of The Year - BMW 3 Series

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/340...announced.aspx

The BMW F30 3 Series has just been awarded the Autocar Asian Car Of The Year award. The top 6 contenders were BMW 3 series, Audi Q3, Lexus GS, Porsche 911, Range Rover Evoque and the Toyota 86.

What do you think ?
Old 7th May 2013, 02:14   #172
BANNED

I would have gone for the RR Evoque. It evokes a lot more engineering and simply for the extent RR went to reduce that flab and look that fab, the Evoque would have been my choice.

No disrespect to the lineage the 3 series carries, I heard on one review which says "how do you better on a perfect car (the old one)? The new 3 series does just that".
Old 7th May 2013, 08:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
I would have gone for the RR Evoque. It evokes a lot more engineering and simply for the extent RR went to reduce that flab and look that fab, the Evoque would have been my choice.
Actually one of the deterrents may have been the fact that in many markets its perceived as a woman's car. Not being sexist or anything, but that seems to be deterring a lot of buyers (including a friend) to not buy the evoque. It was awarded the woman's car of the year last year. Then there was an Evoque "Victoria Beckham edition" which was launched.

Another Deterrant could be the price. It costs significantly more than the 3 series. Especially in India the OTR price of an evoque crosses 60 lacs vs. 35-36 lacs for the Beemers.

Just my opinion.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:05   #174
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...sport-plus.pdf

Is this true? This brochure looks like an early launch time brochure as the prices now for sports line are 34.5 lacs ex showroom. And there's no mention of the sports plus.

Can somebody please shed some light on this?
Old 7th May 2013, 13:22   #175
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. In-Depth and informative as usual.
My opinions are mostly regarding looks which are subjective of course, that being said:

-Sportline may not be chromed out but they've replaced the chrome with horrid blood red all over.
-Personally find those front head lights meeting the grill grotesque. I am among those you mentioned early in the review : ).
-I do not find this to be a timeless design as it's predecessor. If anything this is quirky looking rather than the previous gen.
-The Sleeker, clearly streamlined and slimmer body makes it somehow look cheaper/less premium which it isn't.
-No extra wheel, they really are trying to get us to pick the run flats?
-Large Transmission tunnel hump.

+HUD
+Drivers car
+Diesel option cheaper than Petrol.
+Interior seems properly plush overall, that of a luxury car. Unlike the C.
+6 Airbags for lowest variant as well if I've read correctly.

Now, I have a quesiton. I am a bit confused moralfiber. You mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
• Superb ride quality in all driving conditions. Ideal suspension set-up for Indian roads
but also,
Quote:
• Rear suspension feels soft under hard driving. E90's back end was more planted
When you say hard driving do you mean cornering at high speeds where the tail gives away? but other wise it's planted at highway speeds in a straightline? Did I get that right? Thanks. : )

Last edited by Maky : 7th May 2013 at 13:23.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:03   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thanks for the review. In-Depth and informative as usual.
My opinions are mostly regarding looks which are subjective of course, that being said:

-Sportline may not be chromed out but they've replaced the chrome with horrid blood red all over.
This is optional. You can choose the red line or the chrome line depending on the interior trim you choose.

+HUD
+Drivers car
+Diesel option cheaper than Petrol.
+Interior seems properly plush overall, that of a luxury car. Unlike the C.
+6 Airbags for lowest variant as well if I've read correctly.

As for your questions about performance, ride and handling

The ride is considerably softer than the E90 ( and the C class). This is because
- The F30 has 3rd gen run flats which are almost as soft as normal tubeless tires. The problem is that they're extremely pricey - approx 24k per tire for the Bridgestone Potenza on my car

- Softer Seats - the seats are more comfortable and softer than the E90. Back seats are much softer than the 5 series (I compared).

- Adjustable driving modes - comfort and Eco pro soften up the suspension considerably and the car absorbs small bumps, potholes seemlessly. Sport mode hardens up the suspension and the effect can be immediately felt. Although even in sport mode the ride is not as uncomfortable as the E90 thanks to softer seats and softer run flats.

The Handling. - there is no doubt that the F30 is definitely not as "sporty" as the E90. The E90 was a smaller car overall. And the less sleeker design of the E90 made the front view from the windscreen so much larger hence inspiring more driver confidence. Although the F30 is only 2 inches longer than the E90, a lot of space has been devoted to the interiors which makes the car feel much larger on the inside. Hence the obvious effect on handling and confidence.

Cornering & Handling - Again huge difference can be felt when you switch between the driving modes. In sport mode the car feels a lot closer to its predecessor but still any Beemer Fan will immediately know that the E90 was better.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:06   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

- Adjustable driving modes - comfort and Eco pro soften up the suspension considerably and the car absorbs small bumps, potholes seemlessly. Sport mode hardens up the suspension and the effect can be immediately felt. Although even in sport mode the ride is not as uncomfortable as the E90 thanks to softer seats and softer run flats.
Considering they left out the adaptive suspension on the Indian car I wonder how the suspension characteristics change. I for one while test driving the F30 didn't feel any change in the suspension at all.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:08   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
When you say hard driving do you mean cornering at high speeds where the tail gives away? but other wise it's planted at highway speeds in a straightline? Did I get that right? Thanks. : )
Good ride quality implies a very composed suspension setup where the ride is neither to soft to make you car sick and neither too hard to throw you around the back seat. It absorbs road undulations well and gives you a very comfortable ride in the car.

The tail doesn't give away but there was a distinct vertical movement due to a comparatively softer rear suspension as compared to the outgoing variant which for the record has a very choppy ride quality.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:23   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Considering they left out the adaptive suspension on the Indian car I wonder how the suspension characteristics change. I for one while test driving the F30 didn't feel any change in the suspension at all.
Honestly, this may sound stupid, but during the test drive, I hardly felt any difference in the throttle response and gear shifts also between the driving modes. There's noticeable difference in the softness of the ride quality between sport and comfort. But I think it takes a few days of driving before a person can really see the difference.

Technically. Don't know how BMW have managed this.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good ride quality implies a very composed suspension setup where the ride is neither to soft to make you car sick and neither too hard to throw you around the back seat. It absorbs road undulations well and gives you a very comfortable ride in the car.

The tail doesn't give away but there was a distinct vertical movement due to a comparatively softer rear suspension as compared to the outgoing variant which for the record has a very choppy ride quality.
I see, So nothing too serious that would make one unconfident cornering at high speeds then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks