Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 14:47   #931
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Wanted to get a view of bhpians on whether I should go for the luxury line or prestige. The difference between them works out to be about 5L even after discounts.. Is it really worth paying 5L for the sunroof, better music system, 17inch wheels, leather seats and some other cosmetic differences?
Old 25th November 2015, 17:43   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Wanted to get a view of bhpians on whether I should go for the luxury line or prestige. The difference between them works out to be about 5L even after discounts.. Is it really worth paying 5L for the sunroof, better music system, 17inch wheels, leather seats and some other cosmetic differences?
I bought the Prestige variant after working through the same dilemma. There's no practical difference but do test the 9- speaker Hi-Fi with the 6- speaker audio on the two variants, load 256-320kbps tunes on your cell/ pen drive and demo it. The 6 speaker will suffice if you aren't an audiophile while the 9 speaker system though not the segment best, certainly has better sound imaging.

I would still choose the Prestige and spend another 80k on the Alpine audio upgrade offered by BMW. You could also choose aftermarket plug and play solutions from BSW, Rainbow etc.
Old 25th November 2015, 18:49   #933
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It's personal ultimately what all this means to you. From what you've outlined I'd skip the prestige version and save 5 lakhs. I'm not an audiophile, don't care so much for sun roof, leather is nice I admit but from the 5 lakhs saved, I can upgrade to Nappa quality at much lower cost.
Old 25th November 2015, 21:52   #934
BHPian

Quote:
I recently opted for a prestige variant as well. Is it worth it? If that question is looming in your mind, then the answer is actually no.

I can talk from experience as for a little while I also considered sport and luxury option as well and the same thing popped up in my head.

Heck, for 5 more lakhs they don't even offer a reverse parking camera (which should be standard in a car of this stature).
Old 25th November 2015, 23:49   #935
BHPian

I have also recently got prestige variant can someone let me know where in Mumbai or Delhi I can get aftermarket plug and play solutions from BSW, Rainbow etc.

My personal observation is that the base line audio system is pretty crap for a 35 Lakhs vehicle, my Yeti has much better sound system.
Old 27th November 2015, 17:40   #936
BHPian

Quote:
I will buck the general trend here and in fact strongly recommend that you go for sportsline/luxuryline.
I went through a very similar dilemma a couple of months ago and did a little rough maths that helped me decide in favor of sportsline.
Most of the add-ons are not even possible/available as accessories or as after market additions but i have given my perceived value.

Difference between Prestige and sports/luxury: 400,000/-
(based actual final negotiated quotes i got)

Additional features you get in sports/luxury -
Sunroof (this was a must for me): 100,000/-
Nappa Leather upholstery &
choice of interior colours: 60,000/-
Sports seats (only with sportsline): 40,000/-
Better sound system with 9 speakers 205W: 60,000/-
17" alloy wheels : 40,000/-
Better looking bumpers with black gloss /
chrome trims : 40,000/-
Lighting package : 30,000/-
Dashboard trim, door sills & sport/luxury badges: 10,000/-
Extended content display screen for Driver: 20,000/-

It was a complete no-brainer for me
sanj947 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 20:06   #937
BHPian

+1

This theory of getting the base model and making up for all the missing stuff at a more economy level does not really work. One, it's never factory perfect 99.99% of the time, any work you get done from anywhere. Then, it's costlier than OE factory fitted if you get it later, orelse you will be compromising on quality. Another thing is, with the warranty on, you can pretty much forget any upgrades in the first few years, which will be the prime time of your usage of the car. And then the equipment stripped is not skin deep. You will be losing a lot more. The real car is the fully loaded one offered in the market. In India, even that is a pretty stripped model compared to bigger markets. If you have the budget, go ahead and get the best trim possible in the type (fuel) you want. If you really don't need the extra equipment, then anyways all these don't matter.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:00   #938
Senior - BHPian

I have observed in my F30 that the auto up/down functionality of the window glass stops functioning if the door is opened. Read about it on bmw forums and it is a feature given by bmw. Can any one enlighten as to what use is this feature of? The auto up/down on all 4 doors of my Vento keep functioning, does not matter if door is opened or not.

Bmw also provides visible door lock pins on the door like Mercedes (the small vertical locks on doors seen on cars like Santro ), is it for safety reasons? The pins are pretty recessed in and could be a pain to operate during emergency if that is what the purpose is.
Old 6th December 2015, 17:46   #939
BHPian

Can anyone enlighten me what the inner lamp does? Or is it purely aesthetic?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Old 6th December 2015, 19:57   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj947 View Post
On these bi-xenon projector head lamps, its purely aesthetic, I guess to maintain the tradition. On other types like halogen and LED's they are functional which ofcourse does not have projector lens setup.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:43   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Alright guys! I've finally taken the plunge and have booked my first ever German horse (320d prestige class). She will be dressed in black and should arrive soon.

Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanj947 View Post

Haha I faced the same dilemma. Then googled it. Only the outer ones work. Thankfully they have given the lenses on inner ones as well.
Old 12th December 2015, 09:08   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
But I was not satisfied with the stock system in which all the instruments playing in the background and the finer aspects of the vocals were not appreciable.
I am also contemplating going for the alpine upgrade kit, would request you to provide more insights as to how the system sounds with an added amplifier and tweeters.

How is the bass response from stock woofers under the seat? What was the total cost of this upgrade?
Old 12th December 2015, 16:31   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quick question, does anyone know how to disable the emergency mode thingy? Basically on the Buddh Circuit Back Straight and sometimes on Turn 3 the seat belt pretensioners activate and the windows roll up. And its quite undesirable when you're trying to get a good laptime before the brakes start fading and the runflats overheat and start bouncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I am also contemplating going for the alpine upgrade kit, would request you to provide more insights as to how the system sounds with an added amplifier and tweeters.

How is the bass response from stock woofers under the seat? What was the total cost of this upgrade?
Buddy, my car has the HiFi system option you're welcome to check it out anytime and compare. Hopefully Rohan D and the others should plan a meetup soon!
Old 12th December 2015, 21:30   #944
BHPian

I have booked a luxury line and the vin number says its manufactured in SA in May 15. Is it ok to get this car? I did a PDI and everything looks good. The salesman said they received this only in August/ September.
Old 14th December 2015, 14:38   #945

Quote:
I have booked a luxury line and the vin number says its manufactured in SA in May 15. Is it ok to get this car? I did a PDI and everything looks good. The salesman said they received this only in August/ September.
Shivasuma, Hearty Congrats for your achievement.
At what price did you book it finally? I am also in talk for Sports line with Bangalore dealer and would like to know the quote offered. Was it booked in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks