Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 16:14   #1126
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
My runflats are around 20k for the tire and with installation et-all I have paid Rs 7000 out of pocket per tire change. Which makes this not worth it at all. Decided to go with normal insurance this year.
What brand and size? Installation cost should be zero INR. I feel "safer" with RFTs and hence don't mind spending more (25-30%).
Old 20th October 2016, 20:48   #1127
BHPian

Friends, as per Overdrive magazine they are saying that Mr. Frank Schloeder, president, BMW India has stated that the same engine powering the new 330i GT will shortly make its way into the F30 also.

If true, that would be an awesome move. It would make an already thrilling car so much more fun to drive.
Old 26th October 2016, 19:41   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Had a quick general question on BMW. When you replace the brake pads after seeing an alert on the dash, do you have to reset the sensors manually to remove the alert. A friend had pads changed, but the alert seem to remain.

We reset the ECU, but alert doesn't seem to go away. Any tips?
Old 26th October 2016, 19:59   #1129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Had a quick general question on BMW. When you replace the brake pads after seeing an alert on the dash, do you have to reset the sensors manually to remove the alert. A friend had pads changed, but the alert seem to remain.

We reset the ECU, but alert doesn't seem to go away. Any tips?
Yes, that reset button is on the instrument cluster & reset instructions will be mentioned on the MID.

Simple Instructions are as follows;

1. Without pressing the brake/clutch, press the start/stop button
2. Wait for the service reminder to disappear
3. Press and hold the odometer reset button. You will notice your trip meter reset and then go back to the value it once was. Keep holding for a couple more seconds

At this point, service values that can be reset will come up. Use the odometer reset button to scroll through the menu.

4. At the value you want to reset, press and hold the odometer reset button. "Reset possible" will change to "Reset?"
5. Press and hold odometer reset button again until value is reset
6. Press the start/stop button to start car or turn off car

Or you can view this video too for reference;

Last edited by karan561 : 26th October 2016 at 20:01.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 19:37   #1130
BHPian

So booked my Sportsline 320 d in Melbourne Red today!

Long story short it was a kind of impulse purchase. I was never looking to buy the 3 series. We have two kids and were looking for an SUV that we can use for long trips. This would also be the Primary car for daily use. We have a 2008 Dzire and 2012 Brio AT that we plan to keep. So was not really keen on very big SUVs

With this rather strict criteria choices are limited with Skoda and VW SUVs still coming later.

The new BMW X1 soon became the top choice. they have really upgraded the whole car and is very similar to X3 now. It really beats Q3 in space everywhere and is fresher car in terms of interiors. Q3 also really looks dated now overall especially from the inside.

However, cost was really going up and we felt we were not really getting enough for that money. This is really the tragedy of buying luxury brands in India. You get saddled with very few choices. Interiors are only available in Beige for most variants and the seats (especially front ones) seem really bare and narrow with very little support.

It was only by chance that we got interested in the 320d Sportline which dealer is running a discount on. We have been fans of 3 series but did not feel it suited our needs.

After test drives we really loved the performance and the handling. What was really surprising was the comfort at low speeds in the city.

What really tilted the decision in favor of the 3?
1. The interiors - Beige was really a no no with 2 kids and we would have bought X1 with beige as kind of a compromise. The Red Sportsline with the plush black leather seats with the red piping look a class above anything X1 is offering
2. Accessories - the bigger iDrive screen with navigation feels like a big value add. I feel that the BMW iDrive is definitely the best among the Big 3. In X1 navigation with a bigger screen is only available on the crazily priced top variant
3. Exterior looks - 320d is really one of the all time great car designs and it looks drool-worthy in that red
4. Performance- I needn't say much here but the RWD really brings a smile to your face.
Cons
1. The SUV stance - The sitting in X1 you really love the view it offers all around. The panaromic sun roof is also really cool and adds to that feeling of more space.
2. Space in the back- the biggest factor we agonized a lot over. 320d over X1 is going to really limit the amount of luggage we would be carrying and we would probably be ruing this in future. But by this time we were really in love with the 3 and we were ready to make all sacrifices for it

It was a classic hearts vs. minds decision and we know who wins always. Both my wife and I drive and at heart we choose our pleasure over family comfort (Kids can adjust we said)

When spending this much you want to feel the rush and anticipation and X1 was just not giving that special feeling even after ticking most boxes. Plus I didn't like having to cut corners in my choice of interiors while paying through my nose.

Delivery is in two weeks and really looking forward to Ultimat3 driving machine coming home. hopefully will b able to post a good ownership review in some time.
neeravnaik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 20:43   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
So booked my Sportsline 320 d in Melbourne Red today!
Congrats! How much discount did you manage to get on the 320D?
Old 18th November 2016, 13:29   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Congrats! How much discount did you manage to get on the 320D?
Thank you!

This was running on discount as part of BMW 2016 festival. finally at 45 OTR
Old 18th November 2016, 14:26   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Thank you!

This was running on discount as part of BMW 2016 festival. finally at 45 OTR
So that's roughly around 10 lakhs off on The OTR Price. Around 8 lakhs off on Road Tax & 2 lakhs On Insurance.

Now, Consider this. If I have to buy this 3, I won't be registering it in Bangalore because I am not a resident of that City. So, I guess that 8 lakhs will not apply to me unless they,

1. Register it with my name in my city.
2. Give that same discount on Ex-Showroom price.

2 will be not be applicable i guess, while 1 would be applicable only in the city it's currently operating at.

Or Else, if they pay me 8 lakhs (Road Tax) & wave off Insurance, I can use that money & register it in my city. Here the Benefit is offered & utilized.

This is confusing for me as well as readers. Sorry for that.
Any BHPian who has gone through this process (Offers/Discounts) can give suggestions/inputs here.

Thanks.
Old 18th November 2016, 23:31   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
So that's roughly around 10 lakhs off on The OTR Price. Around 8 lakhs off on Road Tax & 2 lakhs On Insurance.

This is confusing for me as well as readers. Sorry for that.
Any BHPian who has gone through this process (Offers/Discounts) can give suggestions/inputs here.

Thanks.
Bangalore has been running an early bird offer for 3 Sports. Catch this guy Shibin in the Electronic City showroom. He will solve your delimma. I think, that deal is under the same scheme running till 23rd November booking.
Only available on Sports but not on Luxury Line.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 23:38   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Bangalore has been running an early bird offer for 3 Sports. Catch this guy Shibin in the Electronic City showroom. He will solve your delimma. I think, that deal is under the same scheme running till 23rd November booking.
Only available on Sports but not on Luxury Line.
Thanks for the Information. Yes heard that Scheme will be there till November 30. But I guess it will be there till Year End. The Demonetization will certainly hit them, and one can expect even more discounts in January.

I have no immediate plans of buying one, but considering one before start of Next Financial Year. I have shortlisted X1(Practical) & 3Series(Driver Oriented) as choices. Again, Higher the discount the model has, I will be going for that car. Also, if I get good Buyback Value on existing car, I might also get it exchanged.
Old 18th November 2016, 23:47   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Thanks for the Information. Yes heard that Scheme will be there till November 30. But I guess it will be there till Year End. The Demonetization will certainly hit them, and one can expect even more discounts in January.

...Also, if I get good Buyback Value on existing car, I might also get it exchanged.
There were two offers running.... 3 Sports at a drop dead price and X3 30d at the EMI of X3 20d (which in November is lower than GT EMI BTW)

This is for sure till 22nd or 23rd Nov.

Regarding demonetization and other speculation, that time will tell. Do consider that bearing GST volatility in mind, the production has already been curtailed by the companies. So, next year if the stock pressure isn't there, the schemes won't be there as well. IMHO, like the car+like the price point = go for it.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 13:03   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the average time or running that BMW's brake pads and discs usually last? Before buying my car, I had come across many posts on the forum and elsewhere that on an average they change the brake pads within 20-25k kms and the cost to change the same is substantial. This was one of the reasons for me opting for the BSI pack apart from it increasing my warranty also to 5 years. Now my car has run 26k kms till now in 3 years. And according to the car's computer, the pads are good for another 12000 kms at least. So that means in my 5 years/60k kms of BSI coverage, I will encounter a brake pad change only once. Extending that logic further the discs are probably going to last the distance.

Hence I was just curious to know the kms covered before you guys got your brake pads changed. I hope they do not follow different yardsticks for people with the package and ones without.
Old 20th November 2016, 13:25   #1138
Distinguished - BHPian

For me BMW brake pads have always lasted 30k kms+ This is also because I usually almost always put the car in P during long signals instead of keeping my foot on the brake. My drivers also have been instructed to strictly follow the same.
Old 20th November 2016, 14:39   #1139
Senior - BHPian

thinking of taking part in a a legal drag race event soon with the BMW 320 D F30.

I was just curious, what is the fastest way to launch the F30 320D ?

Option 1) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at GO.

Option 2) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control OFF, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at Launch.

Option 3) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Build REVs at 2500 rpm and hold brakes. Let the brakes go.
Old 20th November 2016, 15:57   #1140
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
thinking of taking part in a a legal drag race event soon with the BMW 320 D F30.

I was just curious, what is the fastest way to launch the F30 320D ?

Option 1) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at GO.

Option 2) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control OFF, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Don't Build revs, just floor at Launch.

Option 3) Sport Setting ON, Traction Control ON, Sport Gear Shift ON (Let the box handle the shifts). Build REVs at 2500 rpm and hold brakes. Let the brakes go.
Option 3 is the best but 2500 rpm may give u excessive wheel spin, id suggest target just above 2000rpm & you'l be set

Last edited by karan561 : 20th November 2016 at 16:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks