Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 14:27   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
2 and 3. Yes, I know exactly what you are describing, this is a very useful feature and it also delights the operator with the smoothness with which the drive is put out to the wheels. Axle ratio should not be "over" or "under" for the application required. 4.1:1 exactly matches this need. I always indulge in this game with the vehicle when I am in 4H! Also, 4L is a relevation in its own right!
4. Obviously yes, there is a market for the baseline 4*4.
5. The synchronizer specification is much more than sufficient to deliver perfect gearshift with the inertia that the first gear reduction throws at it.

and 6. (if I may so indulge) - felt like a king? I always do. Initially, I used to "compare", but it is like comparing apples to nothing, not even oranges, so I don't even bother now! .

and 7. (if I may again indulge) - some people recall having caught fleeting glimpses of a certain brown 4*4, as it blazes past and disappears in the blink of an eye, somewhere in western India ----- .
It would be awesome to have a LX 4*4 and a ZX 4*4 launch around the same time, with the additional 10 PS of power and the ZX 4*4 also with the improved interiors! Fingers crossed, as I have postponed my purchase of the Storme for quite some and really want to pounce on it if the improvements are announced.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:22   #182
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
It would be awesome to have a LX 4*4 and a ZX 4*4 launch around the same time, with the additional 10 PS of power and the ZX 4*4 also with the improved interiors! Fingers crossed, as I have postponed my purchase of the Storme for quite some and really want to pounce on it if the improvements are announced.
I too am eagerly following developments regarding Storme ZX like you & would immediately purchase if introduced in the near future. I currently drive Aria Pride 4x4 & am keen to swap it for a Real 4WD Vehicle. Though I hope TaMo would introduce all the features of the Aria in the Storme ZX such as Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto Headlamps, Cruise Control + the uprated Engine with lighter clutch et al.

Fingers Crossed
Old 31st July 2014, 10:57   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
1. I just thought of trying the Xenon and in fact the gentleman from TATA was also bit amused seeing me taking feet off completely. But what followed was a pleasant surprise even for him as well. I thanked him at the end of the TD for bringing this particular variant to have a feel of the prowess. 2. The seating position is so commanding. Coupled with the large side view mirrors and the thin A-pillar, it was good visibility all around. 3. I take 'certain' as the keyword. Just hope it is 'something' different than your 'regular' official vehicle for commuting! 4. At that price point, it is indeed a VFM proposition. Xenon has a killer appearance. 5. What about white plate registration?
Dear Kandisa - my replies to your comments on Xenon are as follows:

1. Thanks, I get the same feeling of "conquest" everytime. This is the primary requirement of a good 4WD design package in 4H mode.
2. Correct. These are passive qualities which customers are now beginning to realize and appreciate. The cab and platform flow lines compliment the overall shape with the perfect symphony of balance. Look at the wheelbase, the rear wheel is placed exactly where it should be.
3. Kya yaar! .
4. Correct, in Xenon, the fenders are integrally designed in the body shape for this application, so there is no need for silly fender flares made of FRP which look crude and break even at the slightest nudge.
5. Yes, besides the one you tested, there is also a very potent double cab, made specifically for white plate registration. Go, check it out.

Dear Adi - your comment "drove the 3.0 Xenon today. Thinking about the 4wd version. Makes a lot of sense for the price. Drivability of the Xenon is pretty awesome. I love it too much. Would recommend checking it out. 8.4 onroad in Ahmedabad makes it cheaper than the Gurkha and way more practical and ready than the Thar" - Thanks for appreciating! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 22:51   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from a different thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Expect more muscle under the skin, along with 4WD in lower variants.
Thanks a ton man. I am not going to bug you or BD henceafter till 'this something' comes in reality! Expectations are really high now. It will be really good to have some alternatives and hence some healthy competition in the 'less-elite' (price wise) 4x4 segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...there is also a very potent double cab, made specifically for white plate registration. Go, check it out..
Sure sir, will do to have a feel.

Last edited by Kandisa : 31st July 2014 at 22:56.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:46   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Quoting from a different thread

Thanks a ton man. I am not going to bug you or BD henceafter till 'this something' comes in reality! Expectations are really high now. It will be really good to have some alternatives and hence some healthy competition in the 'less-elite' (price wise) 4x4 segment.

Sure sir, will do to have a feel.
I did a TD of the Xenon 3.0 in Ludhiana and it was being offered at 6.8 Lakhs by the local dealer, I liked its commanding seating and the road presence. I need to convince by FIL to go for it for dual duty on the farms and as a family vehicle.

Toyota Hilux has really spoiled me and hooked on me to the 4WD Double Cab pickup!
Old 19th December 2014, 14:54   #186

Just an update on the mileage for the 4x4VX on mixed highways (evenly divided between roads with and without dividers) and passing through small towns. The car has done about 17,000kms. Mileage was about 12 KMPL.

No major issues with the car yet, though the rear axle seems to have sprung a leak.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:06   #187

The oil leak was a busted gasket in the gear box assembly as well as the rear differential. Took a week to fix. It was fixed under the warranty. The friction modifier that needs to be added was not put in the invoice or summary of work done but the service centre orally confirmed that it was put.
Time to test it all out! Planning a 2000km journey next week
Old 11th February 2015, 17:29   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaurous View Post
The friction modifier that needs to be added was not put in the invoice or summary of work done but the service centre orally confirmed that it was put.
I can assure that they have not done it. The friction modifier is expensive and knowing TASS, they have not put it in. Ask them to show you the can, and you will be surprised
Old 11th February 2015, 20:14   #189

Thanks, I did not know it was expensive but only a little is needed. Maybe it's a good idea for me, next time, to cart a bottle along and give it to them. I had asked for it to be put in specifically because I was worried there are hardly any 4x4 stormes around. They said they see "lots" of 4x4 stormes (though few seem to have ever been sold, at least in Chennai I have only seen a couple). Don't have the time to chase them again so will just hope that they did put it in! I guess it will increase wear on the lsd if they did not.
But talking of TASS, the TAFE Reach guys seemed more responsive than VST, if equally clueless; While concorde itself seems to be available only outside the city
Old 12th February 2015, 13:25   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I can assure that they have not done it. The friction modifier is expensive and knowing TASS, they have not put it in. Ask them to show you the can, and you will be surprised
^^ This!
Absolutely correct. You will hear chatter and shorten life of clutches without modifier.
That said, CASTROL SYNTRAX LIMITED SLIP 75W-140 has friction modifiers added. You can use this oil next time
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:42   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not worry too much about the tires. If you drive straight out of the showroom to a tire shop, you can have a set of 5 A/T tires after spending around 3K out of your pocket. Most dealers give good price for brand new Bridgestones.
Hi Tanveer, do you recommend any particular brand of A/T tires for the storme? Is there any downside to these type of tires ?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2015 at 00:25. Reason: fixed quote
Old 24th July 2015, 00:26   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Hi Tanveer, do you recommend any particular brand of A/T tires for the storme? Is there any downside to these type of tires ?
I use Continental cross contact A/T
They are harder, and will give you a harsher ride quality, but they are tough and built to last
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 22:15   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use Continental cross contact A/T
They are harder, and will give you a harsher ride quality, but they are tough and built to last
Thank you Tanveer, had a look at the continental today. Looks good. It's choosing 8100 apiece.
Old 17th August 2015, 22:04   #194
BHPian

Hi Tanveer, I realised that the car pulls to the left. Do you think it is due to the tires or an alignment issue? Have done only 500 kms on the vehicle
Old 18th August 2015, 07:59   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Hi Tanveer, I realised that the car pulls to the left. Do you think it is due to the tires or an alignment issue? Have done only 500 kms on the vehicle
Hi Libra, this is a safety feature called cross caster-camber. This ensures that the car goes off the road rather than running into on coming traffic in case the driver falls asleep or loses steering control. However, you can get rid of that by adjusting the wheel alignment.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks