Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:23   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Hello Ppl!

Just wanted to let all know about a new group started by Tata Motors called SOUL - Safari Owners United League....

www.tatasafari.com/soul

There is no participant as of now. I got the sms today itself. Looks good though.

Cheers !
vipulkamboj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:30   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulkamboj View Post
Hello Ppl!

Just wanted to let all know about a new group started by Tata Motors called SOUL - Safari Owners United League....

www.tatasafari.com/soul

There is no participant as of now. I got the sms today itself. Looks good though.

Cheers !
I checked out the site. I cannot register just yet as I am waiting for the registration of my truck! But will surely join the group there. Any idea what's inside?
Old 23rd January 2014, 23:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I checked out the site. I cannot register just yet as I am waiting for the registration of my truck! But will surely join the group there. Any idea what's inside?
Just registered! Looks good ... hope they plan some nice drives and meets and maybe even an annual national get-together somewhere cool.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:40   #139
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Please use this thread to discuss the 4x4 Storme. There is a separate thread for the normal 4x2 storme review.
Thanks for your cooperation
Old 22nd February 2014, 13:33   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend might look at buying a Storme. He is preferring a 4x4 though that may be used once in a while. I have suggested him a 4x2, but he is more inclined to a 4x4 for those "very special" occasions.

I read that the transfer case is placed low and might malfunction if water splashes. Considering my friend lives in a place which is subjected to heavy rainfall and also water logged roads (during monsoons), what precautions would he need to take to prevent any damage?

I have also suggested that he use the 4x4 once in a month or so even if there is NO major off-road stuffs to be done; just to ensure mechanicals get a work out. Would like to know whether anyone in the forum owns a 4x4 Storme or have they done any aftermarket protection plates for the exposed portions.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd February 2014 at 13:34.
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:26   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My friend might look at buying a Storme. He is preferring a 4x4 though that may be used once in a while. I have suggested him a 4x2, but he is more inclined to a 4x4 for those "very special" occasions.
4x4 Storme is pushing 18 Lakhs in Chennai. At that price you can get excellent used Fortuner which has proven Manual 4x4 system, rather than risk on fiddly electronics.

I too almost booked 4x4 Storme but decided not to due to the price. 18 Lakhs is lots of money for Storme 4x4. If they launch a 4x4 version in LX trim, it will make a lot of sense and more people will opt for 4x4 but then again we are talking about Tata's product dept, right ??
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:43   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...4x4 Storme is pushing 18 Lakhs in Chennai....
My friend is in Kerala and the VX 4x4 OTR is going to be 15L if I am NOT wrong. With the recent tax reduction and some bargaining, he might be able to bring it down to ~14L. The dealer has hinted that he is open to negotiation.

Quote:
...At that price you can get excellent used Fortuner which has proven Manual 4x4 system, rather than risk on fiddly electronics...
One of our friends recently bought a used Fortuner and my friend had a drive. Looks like he jumped out of the car in less than 5 kms owing to the ride quality and he is NOT interested in a Fortuner.

Quote:
...but then again we are talking about Tata's product dept, right ??
Agreed that Storme VX 4x4 might be pushing the price limit, but I have NOT seen any horror stories on this unlike Aria. I have hinted that the product might have some niggling issues but as long as NO major problems are there, my friend is OK with the product as he liked the size and interior quality for the price. He is yet to take a TD; but my guess is he will like it for sure.
Old 22nd February 2014, 19:01   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@swift: Kerala has also hiked road tax in the last budget for vehicles over 10 Lakhs so It maybe more like 17 lakhs. The coimbatore dealer promised discount of over a laksh so I guess he may get for 15 with discount of 1 lakh. But either way that was too much for my comfort. I wouldn't pay 12 to 13 lakhs tops for Safari or Scorpio or XUV. 15 Lakhs and above, I will go to the next segment.

The biggest problem when you buy a Safari over 15 lakhs is resale value.
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
....I read that the transfer case is placed low and might malfunction if water splashes. Considering my friend lives in a place which is subjected to heavy rainfall and also water logged roads (during monsoons), what precautions would he need to take to prevent any damage?....
I had brought the 4x4 in June 2013 after a series of consultations with the Tata Engineering (product engg and design teams at the shopfloor in Pune). They told me that the transfer case wires are silica coated and submerged in water for 3-4 hours to ensure that the water proofing works...

So I have brought it and not done any after-market protection fitment, so long so good....

B

Has anybody clocked the mileage on the Safari Storme 4x4, am getting 11.25-12.5 kpl depending upon driving conditions (with the AC on) ?
Is that fine....
B

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd February 2014 at 16:51. Reason: Back to back posts.
biplav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:43   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
Has anybody clocked the mileage on the Safari Storme 4x4, am getting 11.25-12.5 kpl depending upon driving conditions (with the AC on) ?
That would be normal in 4x2 mode. FE also depends on one's driving style. FE details shared by owners have been both higher & lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
They told me that the transfer case wires are silica coated and submerged in water for 3-4 hours to ensure that the water proofing works...

So I have brought it and not done any after-market protection fitment, so long so good....
Have you done any off-roading yet in conditions where this water could have been tested ?
Old 6th March 2014, 01:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

400Nm, BS4, Dec-2014 Storme could be for export market!

But if it comes with 150-160 BHP and 400 NM BS4, Tata should launch it in lower options with 4WD, not just in VX variant. Restriction of 4WD in the VX variant will not generate sales of the vehicle in 4WD. Basic and Mid variants should also come out with 4WD options.

Beloved Bawa Ji is keeping quite and just spreading his smiles and saying thanks to his friends as of now, something is cooking!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 20:36   #147
BANNED

Quote:
The high-placed center diff is a boon.
Hello tsk, and thanks for the review of the Tata Safari Storme 4X4. The photos give a good graphic view of the vehicle's general off-road abilities, which are sound.
One point I needed some clarification on is the above quote. Does the transfer case incorporate a centre differential (like the Torsen centre diff. in Audi's Quattro system) for torque splitting between the two axles. And is the limited slip diff. fitted to the rear axle only or does the front axle also incorporate a limited slip?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th March 2014 at 21:37. Reason: fixed quote
Old 6th March 2014, 21:32   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post

Hello tsk, and thanks for the review of the Tata Safari Storme 4X4. The photos give a good graphic view of the vehicle's general off-road abilities, which are sound.
One point I needed some clarification on is the above quote. Does the transfer case incorporate a centre differential (like the Torsen centre diff. in Audi's Quattro system) for torque splitting between the two axles. And is the limited slip diff. fitted to the rear axle only or does the front axle also incorporate a limited slip?
Nope, its a Borg warner 45-54 series part time 4WD transfer case. So you cannot use it on tarmac.
Limited slip is clutch based system available only for rear axle. However, be aware its life is about 70,000kms only max. After that the clutches go kaput.

Mine lasted just 60K or so. Covered under extended warranty though.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:41   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope, its a Borg warner 45-54 series part time 4WD transfer case. So you cannot use it on tarmac.
Limited slip is clutch based system available only for rear axle. However, be aware its life is about 70,000kms only max. After that the clutches go kaput.

Mine lasted just 60K or so. Covered under extended warranty though.
OK, thanks - a clutch-based system sounds like the Haldex system(?) and that would certainly make lay a motorist like me think a bit before going in for the vehicle.
Old 6th March 2014, 21:52   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
OK, thanks - a clutch-based system sounds like the Haldex system(?) and that would certainly make lay a motorist like me think a bit before going in for the vehicle.
Clutch based LSD systems are wear and tear systems. So eventually you need to replace the clutches, no matter what vehicle.
Many other vehicles use clutch based LSD, though I suspect the 70K life issue is more common to Safari's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks