Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 19:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, Thar is one candidate which comes to mind.

It wanted to leave the vehicle and run away. *Just kidding* Shot taken with an ultra wide hence the perspective warp
Dear Tanveer - it is "so very nice" of you to compare both the babies, the Thar and the Storme! .

Wow, that's some photography! Teach me when we meet next time! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 19:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for other SUVs the fotuner 4x4 is 100kgs lighter, and rides on bigger wider tires (265 section width 17 inchers)
220mm GC gives fotuner a 20mm advantage too. Moreover the fuel tank in fortuner is better placed, and manual shift 4x4 means no electronics to go bust. And the engine is more powerful. So fortuner wins here.
Maybe a little Off-Topic here. But still, I wanted to learn about the exact mechanically technical difference in the 4X4 systems between Storme and Fortuner, leaving aside the electronic or manual shifter. I never had a chance to experience or learn about both. So kindly share if you can throw some light on the same. I do hope I am making sense here

And yes, Thanks for the wonderful review. Was eagerly waiting for this one.
Old 18th April 2013, 20:03   #18
BANNED

Quote:
220mm GC gives fotuner a 20mm advantage too. Moreover the fuel tank in fortuner is better placed, and manual shift 4x4 means no electronics to go bust. And the engine is more powerful. So fortuner wins here.
XUV? Well thats a true soft roader missing a low range proper 4x4 system. So we won't even compare.
Having said what you have, would you recommend a pre owned Fortuner over a new Storme?
Also, would you buy the XUV over the Storme?

Quote:
Scorpio has a low placed center diff and 180mm GC is limiting.
warp
The Scorpio's GC is 180mm at the differential, it is around 210 at the other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
But still, I wanted to learn about the exact mechanically technical difference in the 4X4 systems between Storme and Fortuner, leaving aside the electronic or manual shifter.
They are the same in the way they function apart from the fact that there is that electronic solenoid which shifts the transfer case in the Storme and and the same thing is done by the manual lever in the Fortuner. Their gear ratios of course would differ.

Last edited by n.devdath : 18th April 2013 at 20:07.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 20:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though the 4x4's transfer case & ECU remain largely similar, there is one difference = No front locking hubs.
So this essentially means one doesn't have to reverse the direction of motion after switching back to 2WD from 4WD mode?
Old 18th April 2013, 22:00   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Having said what you have, would you recommend a pre owned Fortuner over a new Storme?
Also, would you buy the XUV over the Storme?
I do not know about the quality aspect of storme. IF its good, then it makes better sense than a pre-owned fortuner for the same price. However, only long term ownership reports can tell about quality
Quote:
The Scorpio's GC is 180mm at the differential, it is around 210 at the other places.
Thats true for most ladder on frame vehicles. A low center diff means that on trails you keep scraping. Most trails have a raised center. Scorpio is severly disadvantaged here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
So this essentially means one doesn't have to reverse the direction of motion after switching back to 2WD from 4WD mode?
Yes, it should not be needed. That is the primary reason for ECU controlled axles. But I could not spot any changes in user manual. Perhaps Behram can shed more light
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 22:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tanveer for this wonderful review of the Storme 4X4.
Currently, if one has to pick a 4wd tourer, at around 15L there still aren't many options but the Storme VX or Scorpio VLX. Of the two, which would be a better pick.
Would it be possible for a comparo between the two? That would be very helpful!
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 18th April 2013 at 22:28.
Old 18th April 2013, 22:29   #22
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer for another excellent review, I really liked the wide angle wrap effect; it is fooling eye, right?

TATA improved in several area, but fit & finish and panel gap are few areas they haven't serious till date. Also good to know the problem related A/C is fixed, which one of the perennial issue was earlier. The response in lower engine rpm is admissible but rattle noise from steering column was irritating when I got a chance to TD the 4X2 variant. Hope TATA will wake up to the quality expectations of 18L buyer (approx cost to own 4X4 in Bangalore - on road price)
Old 18th April 2013, 23:32   #23
BHPian

I am sure the safari stands true to its name in the 4*4 avatar! I am ready to live with panel gaps and unfinished edges if the beast is super reliable. I seriously wish that the storme proves itself *RELIABLE* which does not hold true with most of the TATA products!
Old 19th April 2013, 00:10   #24
BHPian

As always an excellent review TSK 1979. I have become a fan of you as much as I have been of Tata Safari. I was disappointed with the company for pricing the Storme so tall (Rs 17 lakhs on road, Udupi, Karnataka) and not doing their home work well in spite of stiff market competition that prevails. I am in a strange situation where my heart says Storme but brain says Xuv 5oo. But after reading the reviews posted on XUV 5oo, i am going to continue with my 7 year old indica turbo for a while, hoping & waiting that i would but buy a Safari which has decent features like DIS, ESP, under body protection for vital parts, before Mahindra sorts out the issues in XUV 5oo. I have been a big fan of TATA, but have to say that my eyes have stated looking elsewhere and my heart is following it slowly.
Old 19th April 2013, 08:53   #25
Team-BHP Support

Nice review, with tons of 4x4 details. Rated the review a well-deserved 5 stars

Quote:
Was this one of the initially built vehicles where quality wasn't too great?? Or was it a regular production-spec car with Tata's infamous build at full display? It looks like one of the chrome exhaust tips has already fallen out from the brand new Storme 4x4 . Sorry but couldn't help noticing the minor detail.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th April 2013 at 09:10.
Old 19th April 2013, 09:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Nice review, with tons of 4x4 details. Rated the review a well-deserved 5 stars

Was this one of the initially built vehicles where quality wasn't too great?? Or was it a regular production-spec car with Tata's infamous build at full display? It looks like one of the chrome exhaust tips have already fallen out, from the brand new Storme 4x4 . Sorry but couldn't help noticing the minor detail.
That tip probably might have been knocked off during the off roading! These things are expected when you take a not-so-fully-bred 4X4 in serious off roading terrain.Couple of hard knocks to the rear bumper during articulation and snap it goes!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I am in a strange situation where my heart says Storme but brain says Xuv 5oo.
Dear Manipal - as this is the Safari Storme "4WD" thread, I would request you to check out the details of the "4WD" systems of both the vehicles, especially the numerical ratios, before you make an informed decision. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 19th April 2013 at 11:10. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I am in a strange situation where my heart says Storme but brain says Xuv 5oo.
Suggest to drive both , test both, compare both - with reference to primary usage & then decide.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great review TSK. You should be the designated official TBHP SUV reviewer hence forth .

No doubt the new Safari is a much better product than the earlier one and improved in all areas and aspects. But still Tata has barely been able to generate any buzz around it. High time Tata takes some lessons from Mahindra on there strategic planning or marketing. Look at the way Mahindra launched XUV or more recently Reva E2O. They didnt use an existing platform to just do upgrades but came with complete new designs. Similarly Tata has good legacy with Safari but a product that even after 15yrs or so of existence still is just undergoing evolution and not revolution, will never be a hot product.
Old 19th April 2013, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Excellent review Tanveer and super photos - that complements each other.

You brought out two serious points here that any SUV should definitely have - protection for the components that enables this 4x4 as well as fuel tank height and not enough protection.

After spending close to 17 big ones, do I still have to worry before venturing out in the terrain that it's supposed to be happy for the want of protection? Not a good case.

Also, the price is full two lakhs more from the Scorpio as you had posted in the first post. That's a big difference.
advaitlele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks