Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 07:09   #151
BANNED

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

True, many vehicles do use clutch-based LSD installations, mostly variations on the Haldex mechanism. Though I wish, for our country, a more suitable alternative would be some version of the EBD, where relative wheel spin is sensed via accelerometers, and proportionate brake force is applied, via electro-hydraulics, to the spinning wheel, thus transferring torque to the required wheel. In such devices, heavy, expensive and power consuming hardware (such as Torsen differentials) is avoided. Also, existing braking hardware I'm sure could be suitably adapted to incorporate the EBD mechanism.

With Tata and M&M having proven in-house R&D capabilities, such a solution for limiting wheel spin, particularly for SUVs, should be well within their ambit. I hope somebody up there is listening !
Old 7th March 2014, 08:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Limited slip is clutch based system available only for rear axle. However, be aware its life is about 70,000kms only max. After that the clutches go kaput.

Mine lasted just 60K or so. Covered under extended warranty though.
Quote:
Clutch based LSD systems are wear and tear systems. So eventually you need to replace the clutches, no matter what vehicle.
Many other vehicles use clutch based LSD, though I suspect the 70K life issue is more common to Safari's
How does one get to know if the LSD has failed after the aforesaid 60-70K kms?
Old 7th March 2014, 10:52   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
How does one get to know if the LSD has failed after the aforesaid 60-70K kms?
1, On a hard surface, drive around in circles - There can be noise
2. When car is parked, put in first gear, and launch forwards, there will be a clang sort of sound

Basically, it starts making some noises. These noises are noticeable only at very quiet places. However, when the kit goes completely kaput, these get fairly loud.
Old 11th March 2014, 20:42   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes it is!

Scorpio has a low placed center diff and 180mm GC is limiting.
Hello tsk, Its shashanka again and once again its a similar clarification I was hoping for.
Re. the above quote I understand you are referring to the 4X4 Scorpio (mine is 2WD) and I wanted to be sure if the 4x4 has a center diff incorporated with the transfer case, apart from the two diffs at the front and rear axles.
Also, is there a LSD available in the 4X4 Scorpio?
Old 11th March 2014, 20:55   #155
Team-BHP Support

Neither safari or scorpio have center diff. Only safari has LSD in rear axle
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 14:12   #156

Guys, any idea when the new upgraded/updated storme is expected?
Old 20th May 2014, 16:27   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadlover View Post
Guys, any idea when the new upgraded/updated storme is expected?
Could be around Oct - Nov 2014. That coincide with the festive season launch in India.
Old 24th May 2014, 13:54   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Clutch based LSD systems are wear and tear systems. So eventually you need to replace the clutches, no matter what vehicle.
Many other vehicles use clutch based LSD, though I suspect the 70K life issue is more common to Safari's
Hi TSK

How do you know when the LSD clutch has worn out? My truck is pushing 1.35Lacs and I haven't had any work done on the LSD.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2014, 15:10   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi TSK

How do you know when the LSD clutch has worn out? My truck is pushing 1.35Lacs and I haven't had any work done on the LSD.

Thanks.
It starts making noises. Do you do a lot of mountain driving? If no, then the life will be more. When you do lots of mountain driving, LSD life is less.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:51   #160
BHPian

Quote:
It starts making noises. Do you do a lot of mountain driving? If no, then the life will be more. When you do lots of mountain driving, LSD life is less.
Makes sense. Percentage wise the share of mountain driving would be very less as I'm based in the plains. Now when I hear weird noises from the drivetrain, I'll have to tick off LSD as a possible suspect. Thanks TSK!
Old 20th June 2014, 10:56   #161
BHPian

There's been news of Storme ZX floating around, with upgraded interiors and the 150 PS engine from the Aria. Does anyone have any more details on it? Like when it is likely to launch.... and more importantly (for me) will the ZX come in 4X4?

Please do share any update if you have.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:10   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
There's been news of Storme ZX floating around, with upgraded interiors and the 150 PS engine from the Aria. Does anyone have any more details on it? Like when it is likely to launch.... and more importantly (for me) will the ZX come in 4X4?

Please do share any update if you have.
We will get to know only on launch. That said, traditionally, the top end versions from tata have always had 4x4
Old 20th June 2014, 11:17   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We will get to know only on launch. That said, traditionally, the top end versions from tata have always had 4x4
Per my company sources, the ZX (or the upgraded Storme) will not come before March 2015- that is one reason i decided to go ahead and buy the VX now.

Having said that, the upgraded storme will be a significant mid life upgrade, with a face lift and revised interiors and most importantly will feature an automatic transmission.- this is confirmed news.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 11:34   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, the upgraded storme will be a significant mid life upgrade, with a face lift and revised interiors and most importantly will feature an automatic transmission.- this is confirmed news.
Wow, are you fairly certain about this news? This should be good. But yes, like you I need to decide whether to take the plunge now with the VX 4X4 or wait?

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2014 at 12:25. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 20th June 2014, 11:44   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishD View Post
Wow, are you fairly certain about this news? This should be good. But yes, like you I need to decide whether to take the plunge now with the VX 4X4 or wait?
Krish, this comes from someone who hasn't been wrong so far in the last 7 years . Of course there could always be a first time, but i doubt it. In my view, please go ahead with the VX 4x4 if you like the simplicity of the current Storme interiors.

From what I have come to know, the revised Storme will feature touch screen audio and navigation and auto climate control which will need redesigning the entire dash. Personally i am not too much of a fan of excessive electronics in my cars, given our extreme weather conditions, especially up here in the North- but then, thats just me

In my case, i just went with the heart and booked the current Storme VX. Hope to get delivery this weekend.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2014 at 12:26. Reason: Fixing quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks