Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2014, 15:02   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

In my case, i just went with the heart and booked the current Storme VX. Hope to get delivery this weekend.
Thanks so much Himanshu. And hearty congrats on your decision to go for the Storme. Have you booked the VX 4X4?

I have been dilly-dallying for a very long time with all these reports of an update. More than the interiors I am hoping for an engine and gearbox upgrade. So I really hope they launch by Diwali this year at least and the ZX comes with 4X4.
KrishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 15:31   #167
BHPian

This news makes choosing my first SUV even more confusing. Any release dates confirmed so far? I have been contemplating the to be launched Scorpio or the launched Thar.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2014 at 12:26. Reason: fixing quote
Old 11th July 2014, 10:39   #168
BHPian

Just came across this news regarding Storme 150 PS launch in the coming festive season.Attaching the link below.

http://www.rushlane.com/safari-storm...-12123973.html

Last edited by rosaf : 11th July 2014 at 10:43. Reason: http:// came twice and hence could not open the link.Sorry mods.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:08   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Just came across this news regarding Storme 150 PS launch in the coming festive season.Attaching the link below.

http://www.rushlane.com/safari-storm...-12123973.html
The news has been doing rounds for quite some time now.
As for fuel tank accessory, its the army pieces on test. They need to carry extra fuel.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The news has been doing rounds for quite some time now.
As for fuel tank accessory, its the army pieces on test. They need to carry extra fuel.
The placement looks like something that's sure to be ripped off by hitting or snagging against something too close to the sides.

IMHO, a better option would be a dedicated fuel cell fitted to the roof (just above the third row) with the help of special rails or clamps or a dedicated base platform on which it can be supported.

From there it would be pretty simple to route a pipe directly into the fuel filler inlet of the Storme when the time came to decant - though a simple gravity feed mechanism.

Refilling the fuel cell though could require a little bit of footboard balancing by the petrol pump attendant - IF its allowed. Fuel pumps have become very strict about it in Pune at least. Apparently there is a straight fine of 1.25 Lacs for any pump caught giving anyone fuel into anything other than the vehicle's primary fuel tank.

Please check out photos of something similar (though in a smaller 10 liter capacity) which a friendly Santa plans to get for my bike (professionally made, with rubberized guard, puncture proof metal construction, and built in pressure vent valve) - something like this in 20-30 liters capacity would be ideal.

Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review-img20140626wa0008.jpg
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 06:12   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
..............Please check out photos of something similar (though in a smaller 10 liter capacity) which a friendly Santa plans to get for my bike (professionally made, with rubberized guard, puncture proof metal construction, and built in pressure vent valve) - something like this in 20-30 liters capacity would be ideal.

Attachment 1260411
The friendly Santa Claus' idea is certainly great - including the built-in PV valve - but that pipe looks like plastic and fragile. If it could be built in larger capacity with more robust attachments it would be great idea. The local regulations is something else (1.25 lakhs !)
Old 18th July 2014, 15:27   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The friendly Santa Claus' idea is certainly great - including the built-in PV valve - but that pipe looks like plastic and fragile. If it could be built in larger capacity with more robust attachments it would be great idea. The local regulations is something else (1.25 lakhs !)
Well to be fair, this is built to be exactly what it is - a safe and well made jerry can - NOT an auxilliary fuel tank per se. The plastic pipe is only to be attached and used to pour the fuel into the permanent fuel tank filler opening. Then detached and stored away. Without it, you would use the more common method of fuel decantation - either directly fom the jerry can opening into the fuel tank opening, or from the jerry can opening into a funnel leading into the fuel tank opening. The pipe basically does away with the messiness and wastage inerent to either of the latter two commonly used options. Nothing more.
Old 26th July 2014, 15:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

Just had a test drive of the Storme 4x4. It took some time initially to get accustomed to the size of the truck, but after that it was pretty smooth driving experience.The way it handled the no-road sections was pretty good. Got a chance to shift the 4x4 switch and mighty impressed with the brief offroad drive. The crawl with no A-B-C in 4H was a first for a petrol jeep user like me. In 4L the way the vehicle pulled itself up from a dry excavated ditch was really impressive. 4x4 in the LX version will be a very good choice if TATA manages to get the vibe and keep the price in nearest competitor's territory.
Only glitch was the inconvenience to put the gear lever into 1st. The sales person told the reason as varied use/ abuse by different people as it was TD vehicle clocking approx 20 K kms. What is the experience of the owners?

Last edited by Kandisa : 26th July 2014 at 15:31.
Old 26th July 2014, 16:39   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
1. Just had a test drive of the Storme 4x4. 2. The crawl with no A-B-C in 4H was a first for a petrol jeep user like me. 3. In 4L the way the vehicle pulled itself up from a dry excavated ditch was really impressive. 4. 4x4 in the LX version will be a very good choice if TATA manages to get the vibe and keep the price in nearest competitor's territory. 5. Only glitch was the inconvenience to put the gear lever into 1st. The sales person told the reason as varied use/ abuse by different people as it was TD vehicle clocking approx 20 K kms. What is the experience of the owners?
Dear Kandisa - thanks for your comments, it feels nice to recieve them. My replies are as follows:

1. Thanks.
2 and 3. Yes, I know exactly what you are describing, this is a very useful feature and it also delights the operator with the smoothness with which the drive is put out to the wheels. Axle ratio should not be "over" or "under" for the application required. 4.1:1 exactly matches this need. I always indulge in this game with the vehicle when I am in 4H! Also, 4L is a relevation in its own right!
4. Obviously yes, there is a market for the baseline 4*4.
5. The synchronizer specification is much more than sufficient to deliver perfect gearshift with the inertia that the first gear reduction throws at it.

and 6. (if I may so indulge) - felt like a king? I always do. Initially, I used to "compare", but it is like comparing apples to nothing, not even oranges, so I don't even bother now! .

and 7. (if I may again indulge) - some people recall having caught fleeting glimpses of a certain brown 4*4, as it blazes past and disappears in the blink of an eye, somewhere in western India ----- .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th July 2014 at 16:43.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 17:03   #175
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
4x4 in the LX version will be a very good choice if TATA manages to get the vibe and keep the price in nearest competitor's territory.
There is a market, but is there any plan for the same? Do share if you know something I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]4. Obviously yes, there is a market for the baseline 4*4.
Mr Behram, this would be a great idea for sure. Do a Thar encore at Tata?
Btw, drove the 3.0 Xenon today. Thinking about the 4wd version. Makes a lot of sense for the price. Hopefully, it won't rattle over time. Drivability of the Xenon is pretty awesome. Just a bit too long but I love it too much
Soumen, would recommend checking it out. 8.4 onroad in Ahmedabad makes it cheaper than the Gurkha and way more practical and ready than the Thar.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 17:22   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Drove the 3.0 Xenon today. Thinking about the 4wd version. Makes a lot of sense for the price. Drivability of the Xenon is pretty awesome. I love it too much. 8.4 onroad in Ahmedabad makes it cheaper than the Gurkha and way more practical and ready than the Thar. Adi
Dear Adi - thanks, you finally said it! Bhagwan ke ghar der hai, andher nahin hai!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 23:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
2 and 3. Yes, I know exactly what you are describing, this is a very useful feature and it also delights the operator with the smoothness with which the drive is put out to the wheels. Axle ratio should not be "over" or "under" for the application required. 4.1:1 exactly matches this need. I always indulge in this game with the vehicle when I am in 4H! Also, 4L is a relevation in its own right!
Actually i just thought to try it out and in fact the gentleman from TATA was also bit amused seeing me taking feet off completely. But what followed was a pleasant surprise even for him as well. I thanked him at the end of the TD for bringing this particular variant to have a feel of the prowess.
Quote:
5. The synchronizer specification is much more than sufficient to deliver perfect gearshift with the inertia that the first gear reduction throws at it.
I take the reasoning of the sales person.
Quote:
and 6. (if I may so indulge) - felt like a king?
Oh yes, the seating position is so commanding. Coupled with the large side view mirrors and thin A-pillar, it was good visibility all around. Even my wife, who was bit hesitant initially to try it out in the middle of noida traffic, was at ease after 5 minutes and was fairly surprised.

Quote:
and 7. (if I may again indulge) - some people recall having caught fleeting glimpses of a certain brown 4*4, as it blazes past and disappears in the blink of an eye, somewhere in western India ----- .
I take 'certain' as the keyword. Just hope it is 'something' different than your 'regular' official vehicle for commuting!

Quote:
There is a market, but is there any plan for the same? Do share if you know something I don't
And you expect an answer?

Quote:
Btw, drove the 3.0 Xenon today. ...Soumen, would recommend checking it out. 8.4 onroad in Ahmedabad makes it cheaper than the Gurkha and way more practical and ready than the Thar.
Will give it a try. At that price point it is indeed a VFM proposition. Not to mention Xenon has a killer appearance. The length is an issue but can be lived with for the the looks and the ease on the pocket. However the biggest shortcoming what i see is the rear seat. It simply can't put three adults in comfort over a long distance drive. And exactly this is the area where the Storme is the best in its class. Also what about white plate registration? Is it possible at all for this particular variant?
Old 26th July 2014, 23:58   #178
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Will give it a try. At that price point it is indeed a VFM proposition. Not to mention Xenon has a killer appearance. The length is an issue but can be lived with for the the looks and the ease on the pocket. However the biggest shortcoming what i see is the rear seat. It simply can't put three adults in comfort over a long distance drive. And exactly this is the area where the Storme is the best in its class. Also what about white plate registration? Is it possible at all for this particular variant?
To be frank, comparing the Safari rear seat with anything in this range or even 5-10L higher will not get you a positive answer.

The length is an issue but can definitely live with it. Have been driving a Safari for 7 years so can't be too much longer. Same for the turning radius.

White plate registration is possible. Not an issue. BS3 means you need a non-metro residential proof.

To sum it up, it's definitely worth trying out. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 27th July 2014, 00:40   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be frank, comparing the Safari rear seat with anything in this range or even 5-10L higher will not get you a positive answer.
Basically that was just for reference, not as a comparison exactly. But looking at the pictures, it looks more like bench seats with an upright seating position. And feedback of few people also confirm the same.
Quote:
...White plate registration is possible. Not an issue. BS3 means you need a non-metro residential proof.
Good to know that. Need to check whether the test drive vehicle will be available here, though it is not featured in the list of vehicles in my neighborhood dealer. Also the tata website doesn't have any test drive link for this variant.
Old 28th July 2014, 10:48   #180
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Basically that was just for reference, not as a comparison exactly. But looking at the pictures, it looks more like bench seats with an upright seating position. And feedback of few people also confirm the same.

Good to know that. Need to check whether the test drive vehicle will be available here, though it is not featured in the list of vehicles in my neighborhood dealer. Also the tata website doesn't have any test drive link for this variant.
True, it's definitely not close to the Safari and the slightly upright position. Am assuming since it's a non-mechanical thing, one would be able to adapt or fit a different seat which is more comfortable and at a better angle.

BTW, I used this link to get in touch. A few followups from Tata and a Xenon was at my place from the neighborhood dealer.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks