Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 16:02   #121
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
Since 4x4 is officially fully loaded, any feedback as to which of the Explorer Kit essentials are good for a purchase:
1. The NUDGE GUARD
2. The 2-DIN system
3. The reverse parking camera
Also, can these be individually brought.... OR the package needs to be brought ?
Thanks,
B
1) Nudge Guard - Are available outside as well. Though would suggest the fiber ones from the angle of pedestrian safety.

2) 2- Din system - It can be considered if the loss of cup holders is not too significant a loss. It is a decent option in my view and the warranty will not be affected.

3) The reverse parking camera - Again a decent option if you don't wish to loose warranty. Available outside as well though in other forms and of course is cheaper outside.

They also have a NSEW sticker set that looks good.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 16:52   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Since 4x4 is officially fully loaded, any feedback as to which of the Explorer Kit essentials are good for a purchase:
1. The NUDGE GUARD
2. The 2-DIN system
3. The reverse parking camera
Also, can these be individually brought.... OR the package needs to be brought ?
Thanks,
B
IMO 2-din system and reversing camera are the useful accessories, costing INR 22000 & 4000 respectively. Fibre nudge guard looks good on light colors, but at 16000 it's priced unreasonably. Now all Explorer accessories are available independently.
YGarg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 09:38   #123
BANNED

Quote:
I tank up my fuel, set the odometer at 0, and then take the kms at next tank up, and divide the kms done by the litres taken to tank up.
This is the best way to check your fuel efficiency and if the Storme 4wd is able to deliver 13kmpl in Delhi, all I can say is

PS: Are you sure your odometer has the correct reading? You could compare any distance of around 50kms using another car or asking someone else who travels on the same route to tell you what their trip/odo meters tell them.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:29   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Could someone suggest a proper way for clocking mileage, presently, I tank up my fuel, set the odometer at 0, and then take the kms at next tank up, and divide the kms done by the litres taken to tank up. Is there a better way....

asking as my Safari Storme 4x4 is giving 13+ to a litre in Delhi, even though it s better driving conditions...

Is this possible OR am I missing something ?
As somebody else has also pointed out, 13+ in Delhi for the Storme is super mileage!
How else is the car driving? How many km have you done? Any issues so far? I have been keenly following the Storme ever since its launch and hence asking...

Any news yet of the engine upgrade to 160 PS/ 400 NM? According to Motorbash (link below) the tests continue!

http://motorbash.com/spied-interesti...safari-storme/

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts or use the Edit button to add more content to your existing post. This will avoid back to back posts. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th December 2013 at 12:23. Reason: Posts merged
Old 10th December 2013, 13:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone suggest a proper way for clocking mileage, presently, I tank up my fuel, set the odometer at 0, and then take the kms at next tank up, and divide the kms done by the litres taken to tank up. Is there a better way....
Did you count the liters when the pump automatically cut the supply? The tank is not full at that point, it still has some capacity left and which may have led to a higher figure.

The other practice that I have noticed is that bunks tend to fill in till they reach a rounded figure in rupees and then stop on their own, disregarding if the full tank has been filled completely. This too sometimes gives erroneously high mileage figures.

But even with these irregularities taken into consideration, you are getting a handsome kmpl figure.
Old 31st December 2013, 21:31   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
For the second time while cruising on highway my Safari Storme VX 4x4 Malfunction/engine check Indication Lamp turned on. While it was on speedo meter was acting crazy jumping from 80 to 140kmph and some times dropping to 40 from 80kmph rapidly. Power used to drop significantly during this time. I also noticed that the vehicle used to reduce its rpm to 1200. When this happened for the first time 15 days ago I went to Tata Motors and got a thorough check. They told that they did not find any error logs recorded by ICU nor they found any mechanical/electrical issue. They suspected this to be an one of case where fuel would have been mixed or of low standard in the bunk where I filled diesel. They gave me a clean chit saying this wouldn't repeat. I experienced this*today*again and captured a video of speedo meter acting weird. This time I had filled in a different fuel station in a different town, almost 200 kms away from the previous bunk. Below is the video link that I uploaded it to Youtube.

http://Youtu.be/OSlzGbJBroU

My vehicle has just run 3000kms and I am still using it very smoothly (running under 2200 rpm) as part of run-in proceedure. Have anybody come across similar issue with your Safari?**
I don't know if this is of any help, but my friend's Range Rover Vogue 4.8 TDV8 had developed something similar once when we were on the highway to Jaipur. The speedo would jump to max once and then the vehicle would slow down to about 60kmph and not go any faster. What we had to do was stop the car, shut it off and restart after 10 seconds or so. It would then again run fine for about 15-20 minutes and the whole cycle would repeat again.
When looked into, it was found that the air-intake sensor was faulty and was getting the engine into a 'safe' mode whenever the problem occurred. The engine check light was also coming on during these erratic runs.
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:28   #127

Hello Tanveer, I have recently joined Team-BHP.
I have been dreaming about buying a Tata Safari for more than a decade now, and have been planning to put this into practice since a few months. I read your review of the Storme. You have really taken lot of effort in bringing out even the smallest of details which make a huge difference in day-to-day driving.
I recently took the test drive for both Storme and Dicor (on the same day). I have always been a fan of the rugged look of the Dicor, especially the sporty look courtesy the spare wheel. However, I have learnt that the spare wheel causes lot of vibrations of the tail gate (due to its weight) and it is difficult to change it in case one encounters a flat tyre (the height factor is imp for me as I am not tall). The Storme, on the other hand, looks much more tamed. Performance-wise, I guess both vehicles are good. I am feeling that the price difference between the two is quite large to justify the difference in looks and in-car features. On the other hand, people are also speculating that Tata may phase out the Dicor, just as Toyota did to the Qualis when Innova was launched. My hear is saying Dicor, but my mind says Storme.
I am not being able to decide. Looking for valuable suggestions from you and all fellow BHPians. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:36   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg23 View Post
I am not being able to decide. Looking for valuable suggestions from you and all fellow BHPians. Thanks in advance.
The Storme is a better engineered product. If you are in it for the long haul, it makes more sense to go in for the newer vehicle. With the launch over many months old, initial niggles should be sorted out to a large extent.
The storme rides and handles better than the old safari. I suggest you take a back to back test drive of both, and see it for yourself.
And yes, changing tires on the DICOR is invitation for a slip disk!
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:53   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is the best way to check your fuel efficiency and if the Storme 4wd is able to deliver 13kmpl in Delhi, all I can say is

PS: Are you sure your odometer has the correct reading? You could compare any distance of around 50kms using another car or asking someone else who travels on the same route to tell you what their trip/odo meters tell them.
Yep, the tankfull to tankfull is the best method. I have been using this method on my Indica (since 02), on the Nano and the ARIA. Average out the results over all types of runs, highway, city, hills, etc and you will get a more realistic figure. My Pure gives a consistent 12.8-13.4 kpl in Delhi winters, got 15.4 on the trip to CHD and back on 23-24 Dec.

The odo may have minor calibration errors, but it is fairly accurate. I have been checking it with my Nuvi40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Did you count the liters when the pump automatically cut the supply? The tank is not full at that point, it still has some capacity left and which may have led to a higher figure.

The other practice that I have noticed is that bunks tend to fill in till they reach a rounded figure in rupees and then stop on their own, disregarding if the full tank has been filled completely. This too sometimes gives erroneously high mileage figures.

But even with these irregularities taken into consideration, you are getting a handsome kmpl figure.
+1 to these observations. I personally stand beside the attendant and make sure of
1. Zero setting
2. Auto fill is on the first cog only, not any higher speed, Diesel generates a lot of froth, anyway.
3. Make sure the fuel level is BELOW the breather outlet when filling up after the auto cut. About 5-9 litres are accommodated after the auto cut in my Pure. (depends on how empty the tank was).

13+ for the 4x4 Storme with a kerb weight of approx 2 tons is precisely what i get, so nothing unusual. TATA vehicles are known for their FE anyways !
Old 3rd January 2014, 22:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
2. Auto fill is on the first cog only, not any higher speed, Diesel generates a lot of froth, anyway.
I didn't understand this one bro. Mind explaining please? You mean the trigger has positions before it locks into auto fill? I though there was just one position. Is that how they cheat? Man the tricks these guys have up their sleeves ....
Old 4th January 2014, 07:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I didn't understand this one bro. Mind explaining please? You mean the trigger has positions before it locks into auto fill? I though there was just one position. Is that how they cheat? Man the tricks these guys have up their sleeves ....
Lifebuoy was referring to the 2/3 speed options for auto fill and suggesting the slowest one so that the auto cut off is not triggered due to the force with which fuel is gushing in.
Old 4th January 2014, 08:35   #132
BHPian

Quote:
My hear is saying Dicor, but my mind says Storme.
Take a couple of test drives, and let the looks grow on you. Soon your heart will also start shouting Storme!
It's no doubt a well-engineered product, and taking into account the provision of Immobilizer, ABS etc in base model, the price difference seems somewhat justified.
YGarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 13:54   #133
BHPian

I read about 400nm Safari Storme in this thread around 2012 - 2013.
But now there was no update on that, Saw a update from Motorbash around early Dec'13.

Any experts on this forum know any hint/update on 400nm Safari Storme. Waiting for it, hoping all the issues discovered in current version of Safari Storme to be fixed in that, like 2-DIN and other minor issues.
Old 18th January 2014, 16:00   #134

Is a long time since I posted, but in the interim, I have done a few 1000km plus round trips and gotten to know the car better. ODO is at about 9000km.

As expected, it's a wonderful car to take on highways in. Have not really used the 4x4 yet.

There are a few issues that have, however, cropped up, which I thought I should mention.

There are squeaks (seatbelt I think), there are a few unidentified rattles (which may be due to my placing stuff badly and not the car itself) and the rear suspension creaks.

The air con control did not work. This was fixed at the second service and is fine now.

A significant design issue is that a 179cm driver cannot see the whole instrument panel. The turn indicators, the high beam indicator and part of the speed and tachometer dials are hidden by the steering wheel even when the seat is at its lowest and the steering wheel at its highest.

The other significant design issue for 179ers is that the windshield mounted rear view mirror cannot be set properly and hits the felt roof before it provides a proper view. The thicker mirror assembly, which also contains the reverse hazard display, may be to blame and this issues may not arise in other models of the Storme without the thick mirror.

Wife, being shorter, has another issue with ergonomics. She can't use the armrest easily while driving cause it interferes with her gear shifts. Also, it would have helped if the steering was adjustable for reach, but this is a minor issue.

On mountain roads the width is sometimes an issue. A single lane is normally about 13 ft wide and the Storme is 6.6 ft wide, excluding mirrors. Of course, that also means that when I recently sat in a ford endeavour, I found its rear seat cramped for three people, which does not happen in the Storme. Can't decide if I love the width or fear it!

If there are any suggestions for organised off-road trips from Chennai, please let me know. Obviously the Storme can't do the hardcore stuff, but it would be good to get some experience with its 4x4 ability.

I also checked mileage, though it's not critical for my usage (few long range trips and a few short city hops). In mixed usage, including city and mountains (about 60km in the mountains), I got a little more than 475 km from 45ltrs. On highways speed I'm usually at speed. Though it seems low, I think it's about right given my driving and the mountain bits.

So far these have been no significant mechanical or reliability issues and I'm very happy with the car (other than the darned ergonomic design problems).

Cheers
aerosaurous is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 14:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, people are also speculating that Tata may phase out the Dicor, just as Toyota did to the Qualis when Innova was launched. My hear is saying Dicor, but my mind says Storme.
The 2 big advantages a Storme has over the Dicor is
1) Chassis and suspension setup from the Aria. Gives you much better handling and turning radius
2) Much improved quality of plastics and interior compared to the Dicor.Although the newer Dicor Gx and Vx had good plastics and leather (Tan and black), they are not sold anymore and you have that horrible low quality biege interiors in the Dicor.

Looks are subjective and there are lot of people who like the Storme's Landrover inspired looks, and lot of people who cant imagine a Safari without a rear spare wheel.

Regarding tailgate rattling, it is happening even in the Storme, i believe the Safari doors are heavy or the latches weak, either case you need to get them reset, lubricated every 3-4k kms to prevent squeaks and rattles.

I would recommend an new technology Storme over the older Dicor anyday, but having said that both cars are now equally reliable and most of the quality niggles have been ironed out.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks