Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 16:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I don't think this will compete with the Ertiga as many of you have pointed out. I'm sure GM would have known this as well because it doesn't have the brand equity in the Indian market at least which is plagued severely by the herd mentality, hence even if GM has brought in a better specced, better quality vehicle the masses would have preferred the Ertiga still. But this could be a good alternative to folks who think the Ertiga is over priced/can't afford it , people who are buying hatches like Vista, Liva or Quanto. They can consider this in their buying decision.
I'm sure most people buying a 8 - 9 L car can choose to buy a lower variant of Ertiga if they felt so, but what right minded Indian would say No to space. Maybe they'll compromise with ride quality, FE even(!) but not space. Enjoy gives that, with a reasonably well designed front (unlike the Evalia).
Old 12th May 2013, 19:09   #107
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Honestly I was shocked originally by the price of Enjoy variants, after having forked over 10 lac on road for a zdi Ertiga.
Thanks guys! The neat review and comments have clearly brought out the differences and i am convinced that this chinese product cannot even dream of coming close to the Maruti offering and if ever, is destined for commercial segments.
To me, the third row butterfly window is the only smart saving grace. Other than this, i have not seen a single redeeming feature even coming close to Ertiga. Irrespective of FWD or RWD, i feel 161 mm GC is rather too low for this lengthy MPV. Front looks alright while rear is plain bad.
Sadly, GM appears to have missed the bus yet again and Enjoy is not expected to improve the confidence in the Chevy profile in India.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:06   #108
BHPian

Chevy is always out to cut corners in all their products. They use such pathetic plastics in their vehicles. their desperation is all their own doing. Only if they could bring out one quality product. In fact all that was said about the ertiga initially, in comparison MUL have done a very good job in putting their package together. In fact Enjoy is also the most underpowered vehicle in the segment. "Wake up guys India has become Quality conscious"
Old 13th May 2013, 13:10   #109
CPJ
BHPian

Excellent Review Guys!
I think GM has done a great job considering the price point at which the Enjoy is offered.
The space, practicality along with a competent diesel engine would surely help the Enjoy garner decent sales number.
However I'm a little disappointed with the looks, especially the Xylo like rear. The overall interior quality also lacks the richness that the Ertiga has.
CPJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:46   #110
BHPian

Was comparing Enjoy & Ertiga pricing in Gujarat. Results were ENJOYING due to production of Enjoy in Halol Plant!

Enjoy is full 1 Lakh Rs. cheaper than Ertiga in Gujarat! Here are prices..
MARUTI ERTIGA LDI BS IV Rs. 767424.41 Ex. Ahmedabad
Chevrolet Enjoy 1.3 TCDi LS-8 Rs. 671687 Ex. Ahmedabad

Ertiga-LDI Has & Enjoy-Basic is lacking
  • ABS
  • All 3 Point ELR seat belts
  • Tiltable steering column
Enjoy-Basic Has & Ertiga-LDI is lacking
  • Second row AC
  • All Power windows
  • Central Door Locking
  • Tachometer
Certainly Enjoy in GJ is a deal!
zalaps is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 19:59   #111
BHPian

I test drove Enjoy with my in laws yesterday. My impressions.
The looks are not bad but not appealing either. Would need some amount of stickering & paraphernalia.

The seats in the front and 3nd row are really good. The last row lacks thigh support.

The audio system was looking like a truck radio in US (even they were better)
Audio Sound quality was not bad.

leg room is good in all rows. I am 6"1 and I could easily sit in the last low.

The suspension is good for a van. It is not a sports car and you should not expect that kinda dynamic. The car was good in handling a bad stretch of road and my in laws were not quite complaining about the ride. I was not sure about the speed but it was not a crawl.

The last row people were thrown a little when I tried some drastic sporty maneuvers.

The AC was noisy in the second row.

The engine was eager and the lag was not pronounced. I have to say GM has done a good job with the gearing. With 7 people on board Enjoy pulled from 4th gear without effort. There was a thrum in the cabin at all times.
The suspension worked effortlessly.

The brakes were not good. Quite scared me at a turn. Could this be because the speedometer cable was removed?

The plastics are not bad not good either. The cabin was airy due to the beige interiors and huge windows. The plastics felts better screwed together. Yes they are screwed together to the doors.

The aircon vents in the front are not as big as they appear in the pictures. They are very small but air con is effective.

Biggest problem is that to get to the last row you have to go through the middle of the second row. This is for the 7 seater version. For 8 seater you can flip the seat. Meaning if you buy a version with captain seats in the middle row then you will have to reserve that for older folk.

Price in Kochi
9.06 L OTR - LTZ
8.43L for LT

Last edited by figo_mba : 13th May 2013 at 20:07.
figo_mba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 21:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I test drove Enjoy with my in laws yesterday. My impressions.
The looks are not bad but not appealing either. Would need some amount of stickering & paraphernalia.

The seats in the front and 3nd row are really good. The last row lacks thigh support.

The audio system was looking like a truck radio in US (even they were better)
Audio Sound quality was not bad.

leg room is good in all rows. I am 6"1 and I could easily sit in the last low.

The brakes were not good. Quite scared me at a turn. Could this be because the speedometer cable was removed?

Price in Kochi
9.06 L OTR - LTZ
8.43L for LT
Any idea which company was the audio unit from?

Brakes : Really unfair of GM not providing ABS even for the mid variant (if not as standard) for a van this size with just 14" tyres. Could become quite a deal breaker.

Price difference in many cities is ~80k to 1L compared to Ertiga.
Old 14th May 2013, 03:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Any idea which company was the audio unit from?

Brakes : Really unfair of GM not providing ABS even for the mid variant (if not as standard) for a van this size with just 14" tyres. Could become quite a deal breaker.

Price difference in many cities is ~80k to 1L compared to Ertiga.
I might have missed seeing the name but I dont think any company would put their name on that stereo for the fear of a bad reputation. GM must have asked the vendor to send the seconds audio for the Enjoy. It is not at all good looking. Output is not bad though.

Additional Points

ABS, Electrically Adjustable ORVMs only on top variant.

I understand the ABS, Airbags but why the e-ORVMs. That should have been available. All other models have to adjust the mirror with your hand (not even internally adjustable mirrors).

15" rims should not be a problem considering the wheel well size. I think 195 R15 is the tire size that would be the best for this van.

Third row has flat sides without any handrests. It might get tiring after a long drive with nothing to rest your hand on. IS this case with all others in this segment (7 seater commuter)

The center waterfall part of the dashboard protrudes and this can serve as a spot to lean and rest you left leg on those long highway hops.
Old 14th May 2013, 13:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer kumar View Post
Chevy is always out to cut corners in all their products. They use such pathetic plastics in their vehicles. their desperation is all their own doing. Only if they could bring out one quality product. In fact all that was said about the ertiga initially, in comparison MUL have done a very good job in putting their package together. In fact Enjoy is also the most underpowered vehicle in the segment. "Wake up guys India has become Quality conscious"
It is really surprising how manufacturers think that they can get away with such shoddy quality, all in the name of a low cost product! Just what was Chevy thinking when they launched this? An extremely commonplace exterior, low quality of parts, and 14" wheels!?? This vehicle was a BIG turn off the moment I looked at it. And the detailed review did nothing to change that opinion.

All said and done, Maruti does ensure a neatly packaged product which does take into account Indian consumers' requirements. No wonder they still have a market leadership position across many vehicle classes!
Old 14th May 2013, 14:57   #115
BHPian

Really sad to see Chevrolet stoop to such levels in the Indian market. "Oh, the Indians will go even for a garbage tin with motors if sold cheap" seems to be their philosophy. Chinese tyres, Chinese parts, Chinese looks....they better be prepared for a regular queue at their service centres.

Just from seeing the pictures and reading the reviews has evoked this respose. I am sure if I were to see this vehicle in person, my views will only be validated further.

My only hope is other manufacturers do not take cue from GM and start sourcing everything from China making our roads even more dangerous.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:45   #116
BHPian

I was an invitee at the launch of the Enjoy in Trivandrum. Didn't have a chance to TD it, since they didn't have a TD car ready at the time, but going by the review, I'd say my expectations were spot on. I expected the petrol to be sluggish and the diesel to be the saving grace.

The interiors are of typical Chevy quality, which is to say, not as good as the Ertiga, which they had right alongside the Enjoy for a comparison. I have to say the driving position was great and the seats were rather nice. The Ertiga however, felt more classy.

That said, where the Enjoy scores is in its third row, which is usable unlike the Ertiga. This alone will give it an advantage in the people mover market, taxi and personal. There are several other features which might be appealing to taxi operators, like the 14 inch tyres (cheaper than Ertiga's 15 inch) and the butterfly windows for the third row (passengers not boiled in the third row for non-AC runs)

The OTR price for the base model petrol was quoted as 6.3 lacs (without exchange bonus or insurance discounts). And the base model has plenty of equipment. It's just 60K more than the Sail petrol sedan, has a bigger engine, seats you taller, has a lot more luggage space (with the third row folded), and has second row AC. With petrol prices falling and diesel prices rising, it does make begin to make sense. All the petrol sedans in this price range have bad performance and handling anyway, so it's not a factor.

The MPV felt like a Chevrolet vehicle, not a 'chinese product' as several posters are saying. the Premier Rio felt like a chinese product, what with the bad design and smell of industrial glue. And Chevrolet offers B2B cover for a bit extra, so maintenance shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think Chevrolet has a winner in this one. I am sorely tempted to go for the Petrol model, despite the underwhelming performance (mostly city runs, and less than 1000 km a month) And the Rs. 1 lakh difference between the Ertiga and the Enjoy is something that will matter.
vivekgk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 12:08   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I was an invitee at the launch of the Enjoy in Trivandrum. Didn't have a chance to TD it, since they didn't have a TD car ready at the time, but going by the review, I'd say my expectations were spot on. I expected the petrol to be sluggish and the diesel to be the saving grace.

The interiors are of typical Chevy quality, which is to say, not as good as the Ertiga, which they had right alongside the Enjoy for a comparison. I have to say the driving position was great and the seats were rather nice. The Ertiga however, felt more classy.

That said, where the Enjoy scores is in its third row, which is usable unlike the Ertiga. This alone will give it an advantage in the people mover market, taxi and personal. There are several other features which might be appealing to taxi operators, like the 14 inch tyres (cheaper than Ertiga's 15 inch) and the butterfly windows for the third row (passengers not boiled in the third row for non-AC runs)

The OTR price for the base model petrol was quoted as 6.3 lacs (without exchange bonus or insurance discounts). And the base model has plenty of equipment. It's just 60K more than the Sail petrol sedan, has a bigger engine, seats you taller, has a lot more luggage space (with the third row folded), and has second row AC. With petrol prices falling and diesel prices rising, it does make begin to make sense. All the petrol sedans in this price range have bad performance and handling anyway, so it's not a factor.

The MPV felt like a Chevrolet vehicle, not a 'chinese product' as several posters are saying. the Premier Rio felt like a chinese product, what with the bad design and smell of industrial glue. And Chevrolet offers B2B cover for a bit extra, so maintenance shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think Chevrolet has a winner in this one. I am sorely tempted to go for the Petrol model, despite the underwhelming performance (mostly city runs, and less than 1000 km a month) And the Rs. 1 lakh difference between the Ertiga and the Enjoy is something that will matter.
Interiors : How were the leather seats in the Enjoy, did they not help in terms of the 'Quality of Interiors' feel? Or was it the overall layout hat didn't feel classy?

The GC being at 160mm, greatly helps in the handling dept.

Dunno why the 'Chinese Product' label was applied in sort of a derogatory manner, even the iPad/iPhones are made in china apart from a huge number of high quality products. True, some cheap 'Chinese' stuff may have caught the label, but many things that the Chinese make is very high quality.

There's a proper 80-100k difference in price compared to Ertiga, dunno why reviewer claimed just 40-70k difference.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 12:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Whatever we might say here; let us face the fact, Enjoy is here to stay and is a very competent product - atleast in the taxi market. Simply by the looks of it, a private owner may walk away from Enjoy. However, ask a cabbie, the Enjoy meets his requirements to the T - next only to the Innova.

Ample leg room in the last row - Check
Dual Ac - Check
Comfortable seats - Check.

They just go by these parameters + Chevy's 3 years maintenance package and it is a seller.

Why am I saying this? since yesterday, 2 cab operators (having a fleet for more than 20 Innovas each) recommended this car to me over Ertiga (Space issues) and Evalia - Flop gaadi hai sir, window hi nahin khulti, how'll you puke!. They have been in the business using Innovas, Xylo's and Taveras. The biggest plus point as per them that this vehicle has over the Tavera is "normal spring suspension" as against the leaf springs in a Tavera.

Last edited by amtak : 16th May 2013 at 12:26.
amtak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 13:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Leg room for the front passenger looks really limited. Hope its not the camera angle making it seem so.
Looks like a generated old MPV in shape. Looks like a wasted effort. They could have put it in something else.
Old 17th May 2013, 18:29   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Whatever we might say here; let us face the fact, Enjoy is here to stay and is a very competent product - atleast in the taxi market. Simply by the looks of it, a private owner may walk away from Enjoy. However, ask a cabbie, the Enjoy meets his requirements to the T - next only to the Innova.

Ample leg room in the last row - Check
Dual Ac - Check
Comfortable seats - Check.

They just go by these parameters + Chevy's 3 years maintenance package and it is a seller.

Why am I saying this? since yesterday, 2 cab operators (having a fleet for more than 20 Innovas each) recommended this car to me over Ertiga (Space issues) and Evalia - Flop gaadi hai sir, window hi nahin khulti, how'll you puke!. They have been in the business using Innovas, Xylo's and Taveras. The biggest plus point as per them that this vehicle has over the Tavera is "normal spring suspension" as against the leaf springs in a Tavera.
Excellent observations. Took a test drive today. I think it is good for the price.

Whenever a non-Maruti car is launched there is so much of negativity generated. The comments in this thread are proof for that. And we want a car that has no negatives, gives amazing mileage, has less spare parts costs, all for a very cheap price. And supposedly Maruti delivers it. I have been owning a Maruti for 4 years and trust me - it is no have-all car. GM does have some reliability issues, but I think they are launching some amazing cars at very competitive price points. This car is one such. Enjoy is much much more spacious than the Ertiga and is a good 1 lakh cheaper as well.

Give Enjoy a chance guys.

Last edited by ganeshram : 17th May 2013 at 18:56.
ganeshram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks