Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-183.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 3182900)
There are no "Side" airbags. Typically in a car you have 2 airbags - A passenger side one and a driver side one. They are installed at the front of the driver and passenger and not in/on the seats. Curtain airbags as you rightly pointed out, are mounted on the top near the grab handles (or in the ecosport where the grab handles would have been). They on deployment will expand towards the seat and hence the caution about adding additional seat covers. By the way , many of us would have seen "SRS" or a variation of that on airbag equipped cars - SRS stands for Secondary Restraint System. Primary restraint being the seat belt.

There are side airbags and they inflate from the side of the front seats to protect the torso of the front passengers.These are different from the frontal and curtain airbags you mentioned.
Also,SRS stands for supplemental restraint system not secondary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav (Post 3182492)
A common question if you guys don't mind. What is the current waiting period for the EcoSport in your respective town (s) or city (es)?

As per Talera ford pune , here is the waiting period. Pic taken yesterday.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130719_085835.png
Views: 6449
Size:  440.5 KB

@chennai-indian : so according to you there are two air bags in the front and two curtain ones near grab handles. So where are the remaining two out of the 6 air bags ford is offering?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 (Post 3182770)
Congratulations @Aitchtee
Please note that the AT is available only in Titanium variant (which has 2 airbags incase of MT and 6 airbags for the AT variant).
You cannot fit aftermarket seat covers on this variant (as the curtain airbags are inside the front seats). Please check with the SA again. Also correct me if I'm wrong.

Wonder why the Ford blokes were not able to give 6 Airbags with the Titanium (O) MT variant as well.
Also those extra features like Hill Hold and so on seem to be available only on the AT but not on the MT.
Then the EcoBoost is not available in AT. The AT engine is the 1.5 litre Fiesta engine. Wonder why so much complexity.
Ref the Airbags, I am not able to understand why the EcoSport should compromise on grab handles citing that they interfere with the roof mounted curtain airbags. I ask because my Yeti also has 6 airbags and it also comes with 4 grab handles, one for each passenger.
The variants available in the Ford EcoSport create a lot of confusion in the mind.
For example if I were to buy it, I would straightaway want the EcoBoost engine and I would also want every single bell and whistle possible including 4x4! However, in the current dispensation, I would end up being disappointed in some way except if I compromised and bought the AT with the older 1.5 Petrol engine.
Wonder when the EcoBoost MT/AT V2 with 4x4 and all possible bells and whistles will be sold here!
I think this is absolutely the perfect vehicle and streets above the Duster and its ilk.
One really craves for fit, finish, finesse, comfort and safety in these days of strife!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3182936)
Also those extra features like Hill Hold and so on seem to be available only on the AT but not on the MT.

Is Hill Hold even possible on a MT ? How ?

Quote:

I am not able to understand why the EcoSport should compromise on grab handles citing that they interfere with the roof mounted curtain airbags. I ask because my Yeti also has 6 airbags and it also comes with 4 grab handles, one for each passenger.

Is it also possible that Skoda compromised on safety by providing grab handles With side-curtain air bags ?

btw, can you pls post close-up of the grab handles in the Yeti ? You have an Ambience, so should help understand.

Hey Mate!

My Yeti which is a Manual, has HHC, ASR and lots of other acronyms which as Jeremy Clarkson says in his review of the yeti, 'do many intelligent things'.

HHC works in tandem with the braking system and on an incline, it keeps the brakes on for a few seconds, until one has had the opportunity to increase the engine revs and let in the clutch so as to move forward without rolling back.

With reference to the Airbags - I know that my Yeti has a total of 6 or 8 airbags I am not completely sure and need to check. As I remember it would be 2 airbags in front, 2 airbags in the middle of the car (somewhere around the B pillar), (I think also 2 airbags lurking about in the seats) and another 2 airbags which protect the rear seat passengers and are located somewhere above the rear side windows so that they protect the rear passengers heads.

I also know that there is a clear mention that one should not fiddle with extra seat covers on the Yeti's seats on account of possible interference with the airbags system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3182939)
Is Hill Hold even possible on a MT ? How ?

Are side air-bags & side-curtain air-bags the same ?

Quote:

Wonder why the Ford blokes were not able to give 6 Airbags with the Titanium (O) MT variant as well.

The diesel 1.5 and the EcoBoost MT get a Titanium (O) variant that has 6 airbags, start/stop button and keyless go. I think your a little confused Shankar. The Titanium (O) is available only on the EcoBoost and diesel with all the above features.

Quote:

Then the EcoBoost is not available in AT. The AT engine is the 1.5 litre Fiesta engine. Wonder why so much complexity.
That's simple. The DSG gearbox was never designed to work with the EcoBoost. It maybe due to hardware i.e. mating the gearbox with EcoBoost is not possible or the DSG box can't work with the different power characteristics of the ECoBoost. Nowhere in the world do you get a Fiesta/Focus/EcoSport with 1.0L EcoBoost and AT DSG box.

Quote:

For example if I were to buy it, I would straightaway want the EcoBoost engine and I would also want every single bell and whistle possible including 4x4! However, in the current dispensation, I would end up being disappointed in some way except if I compromised and bought the AT with the older 1.5 Petrol engine.
Every single bell and whistle is available in the EcoBoost 1.0 MT variant except the hill hold, traction control and ESP.

Quote:

Wonder when the EcoBoost MT/AT V2 with 4x4 and all possible bells and whistles will be sold here!
The 4X4 is never coming to India. It's a sheer waste even if they do. They will never get numbers to justify it and the EcoSport is no offroader whatever way you look at it. They have termed it an urban SUV aptly. The 4X4 will result in lower FE which will deter buyers even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3182947)
My Yeti which is a Manual, has HHC, ASR and lots of other acronyms ...

Acronyms ! Something that I am so used to hearing at work .. why, even the company I work for is known by it's Acronym :)

My questions still not answered .. Do you think Mr Clarkson can help me there ? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3182952)
The diesel 1.5 and the EcoBoost MT get a Titanium (O) variant that has 6 airbags, start/stop button and keyless go. I think your a little confused Shankar. The Titanium (O) is available only on the EcoBoost and diesel with all the above features.

That's simple. The DSG gearbox was never designed to work with the EcoBoost. It maybe due to hardware i.e. mating the gearbox with EcoBoost is not possible or the DSG box can't work with the different power characteristics of the ECoBoost. Nowhere in the world do you get a Fiesta/Focus/EcoSport with 1.0L EcoBoost and AT DSG box.

Every single bell and whistle is available in the EcoBoost 1.0 MT variant except the hill hold, traction control and ESP.

The 4X4 is never coming to India. It's a sheer waste even if they do. They will never get numbers to justify it and the EcoSport is no offroader whatever way you look at it. They have termed it an urban SUV aptly. The 4X4 will result in lower FE which will deter buyers even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3182957)
Acronyms ! Something that I am so used to hearing at work .. why, even the company I work for is known by it's Acronym :)

My questions still not answered .. Do you think Mr Clarkson can help me there ? :D

Hi
Yes I am confused with all the variants but thanks for your explanations.

Ref the Hill Hold, as I said, I know it works on my Yeti which is a manual and I also know it is something to do with the braking system.
More than that I am not sure.

I am only a humble unqualified consumer of the service, not an expert on how it works! Would love to get enlightened along the way though!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niks_devil666 (Post 3182927)
As per Talera ford pune , here is the waiting period. Pic taken yesterday.

Attachment 1113105

@chennai-indian : so according to you there are two air bags in the front and two curtain ones near grab handles. So where are the remaining two out of the 6 air bags ford is offering?

There are 4 airbags near tha grab handles (in Ecosport, in place of grab handles) - two at the front and 2 at the back so that plus frontal ones make up 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3182912)
Nope - the top-end variants come with 6 airbags: 2 in the front (in the dash/steering), 2 side airbags within the seat (as k_ajay pointed out) and 2 curtain airbags at the top of the B pillar. See this Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag#Side_airbag) for an indication of how side vs. curtain airbags appears.

The caution about seat covers is to ensure you don't cover up the side airbags embedded within the seat.

See Ford's official picture of the 6 airbags here http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/Sa...&ssbinary=true

Also see Vid's review picture of where the side airbag is placed: http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...cosport-21.jpg

No sir - as far as I understand, Ecosport has 4 curtain airbags and 2 frontal airbags and has no seat mounted airbags

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 3182980)

There are 4 airbags near tha grab handles (in Ecosport, in place of grab handles) - two at the front and 2 at the back so that plus frontal ones make up 6

That makes it 8!

There are two front , two side and two curtain. Curtain are in the middle of pillar. Side airbags are in side of seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chennai-indian (Post 3182983)
No sir - as far as I understand, Ecosport has 4 curtain airbags and 2 frontal airbags and has no seat mounted airbags

Quote:

Originally Posted by niks_devil666 (Post 3182987)
That makes it 8!

There are two front , two side and two curtain. Curtain are in the middle of pillar. Side airbags are in side of seats.

Just to clear the confusion:

2 airbags in the front.
2 curtain airbags (single airbag on each side that extends from the front to the rear)
2 side airbags (only for the 2 front seats)

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken - this is a picture of the "seat mounted" side airbag - http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...cosport-21.jpg

You're not supposed to put seat covers over this because the stock leather covers are designed to allow the side airbags to deploy (probably through specifically weakened points) which will be prevented by standard seat covers.

Looks like the mad rush at showroom is down. I called yesterday, and he said he can bring the ecosport to my place for test drive. And then he can give me an ecoboost in a months time. AT 3 months waiting & diesel 6 months waiting. Kerala , demand is for diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3183029)
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken - this is a picture of the "seat mounted" side airbag - http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...cosport-21.jpg

You're not supposed to put seat covers over this because the stock leather covers are designed to allow the side airbags to deploy (probably through specifically weakened points) which will be prevented by standard seat covers.

Some seat-cover makers (not in India) provide seat covers that can be used on seats that have airbags built in. I don't know how they do it, but.

Quote:

Not sure why you want to deny the existence of side airbags on the seat (all it takes is a quick research). I wrote what I did because I've seen them earlier. Few other members have also explained where the 'side' airbags on the seat are.

For your information, scroll down the link please (to side airbag section):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

These pictures should convince you they exist. And SRS is 'Supplemental Restraint System'.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordecosport5_640x480.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordecosportairbagsview094.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fordecosport21.jpg