Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-800.html)

Thanks to Varun Sharma for sending theis information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:

I would like to share my stats that I have maintained for the last 6 years.
I bought my Ford Ecosport on 29th November 2013 and till now it has clocked 70000 kms.
It includes all expenses like fuel, maintenance and small wear and tear prices.
I'm attaching screenshots of the yearly costs:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.25.06-pm.png

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.27.20-pm.png

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.27.30-pm.png

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.27.37-pm.png

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.27.44-pm.png

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.27.52-pm.png

And the maintenance costs:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screen-shot-20191223-4.28.20-pm.png

Also find the attached Excel file.

Ford Ecosport in public service: spotted this one today.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-fullsizerender1.jpg

Good to see the govt agencies looking beyond the traditional brands, like Mahindra

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4723558)

Attachment 1952071

Good to see the govt agencies looking beyond the traditional brands, like Mahindra

AP police had bought good copies of Ecsoport as Highway patrol vehicles. This was about 3-4 years back.

Hi All,

I would like to share my observation regarding the gap between the dashboard and the driver door in my Ford Ecosport S TDCI variant. This gap is not even or same when compared to gap between the dashboard and co-passenger door. This issue is seen in my Ford EcoSport S variant. At first I thought it was some manufacturing defect but when I checked with other vehicles in showroom and service center I saw the same on other vehicles too. This uneven gap between door and dashboard is just limited to 'S' variants. I didn't see this issue in other variants.

I asked for the same with the service center guys and even they are not aware of this issue as no customers have ever complained about this till now.

Request to all Ford Ecosport S TDCI variant owners to check for the same and share your feedback on it.

Hoping that this is not any manufacturing defect. I will try to upload a pic of this.

For reference:
Vehicle : Ford Ecosport S TDCI
Manufacturing Year : Nov 2019

I have 2015 Titanium Ecoboost and the gaps are very common all around the vehicle. Many gaps exist in the dashboard and door panels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikkyonwheels (Post 4723681)
Hi All,

I would like to share my observation regarding the gap between the dashboard and the driver door in my Ford Ecosport S TDCI variant. This gap is not even or same when compared to gap between the dashboard and co-passenger door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit.s (Post 4724382)
I have 2015 Titanium Ecoboost and the gaps are very common all around the vehicle. Many gaps exist in the dashboard and door panels.

I do accept that the gaps are very common all around the vehicle but the gaps should be symmetric on left and right hand side unless and until there is either some damage or done intentionally.

I am attaching the image of the same for reference. On the left hand side, I can't even insert my finger where as on the right hand side, I can almost insert all my fingers. Even millimeter difference in shape have an impact on mechanical fitment on other parts at that location.

To be more precise. The width of the car is fixed across all variants and I guess the same dashboard is also shared across all variants so the gap should also be same for all the variants but it is not.

Correct me If I am wrong.
Right side:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-right.jpg

Left side:
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-left.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4723558)

Attachment 1952071

Was this in Bangalore?
Interestingly, I spotted one with number 0096 today in Mangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentEngine (Post 4724878)
Was this in Bangalore?

Yes, Bangalore. JP Nagar Ring road - and followed it for a distance on Kanakapura Road.

The one you spotted may be a batch of them procured in Bangalore, and registered under name of the Chairman of the Fire Services Dept - and later distributed across the state. Hence the spotting in Mangaluru.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikkyonwheels (Post 4724497)
I do accept that the gaps are very common all around the vehicle but the gaps should be symmetric on left and right hand side unless and until there is either some damage or done intentionally.

Not sure which model, but I remember ford offering a slot for keeping wallet or some money hidden away in the dashboard side. One had to open the driver side door for it. May be its a Hangover from that design

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniyo (Post 4725165)
Not sure which model, but I remember ford offering a slot for keeping wallet or some money hidden away in the dashboard side.

That was the Ford Aspire. Pretty nifty feature too. Not sure if it remains in the new Aspire, but was there in the original Ford Aspire.

we assume that all doors get locked using the central locking or the remote key. It was only accidentally I found the rear left passenger was not getting locked on my 2013 Ecosport. Even the service center didn't bother checking the same during the recent regular service. Got the hatch door actuator changed for about 2.3k, the rear left door lock assembly for 8.7k .

Hi Friends,
Want to share with you all a harrowing experience I had during a service visit recently.
Before I proceed, would like to give a brief background. I had purchased a Diesel Ecosport (Titanium) in June 2014, after a 6 month waiting period. Fully satisfied with the performance and maintenance cost, I recommended the same to a couple of friends, who too became proud owners of a Ford.
Then, in Jan 2018, I was looking for an automatic car and relying on the faith Ford had managed to develop in our minds over last 4 years, I bought an Automatic Ecosport Petrol. (infact we purchased 2 of them together in the family). The diesel has run 77k kms, without any issues and the newer Petrol AT is below 20k kms as of now.
On Sunday, the 5th Jan 2020, I went for the scheduled 20,000 km service of the Petrol AT model to Harpreet Ford Service Station, Jehangirpuri, New Delhi. We have been regular visitors to this service station and the staff, Rakesh Saini, Kuldeep Arya and Fateh Singh are all very cooperative and courteous.
However, this time the experience was very different and literally has shaken me.
Like always, I visited the online service cost estimator and get an estimate of 5300/- including 699/- for brake fluid.
The service advisor, on arrival at 9.20 AM, gave an estimate of 8000 plus. I questioned regarding the breakup, and he informed me about Brake System bleeding and Throttle Body Cleaning, which were not there in the estimate generated on-line. When I asked if these are recommended on 20,000 kms by Ford, he readily deleted the two items.
Then, he informed me of a FSA issued by Ford in Oct 2019, whereby all vehicles (AT) manufactured from 2012 to Aug 2017, had to undergo a clutch housing rework, and some “O Ring” needed to be put in, to which I had no option, but to agree.
The Engine oil, Oil filter were changed and some routine things done, thereafter I was informed that everything has been done and vehicle was to go for washing.
At this point the nightmare started. The vehicle failed to move either forward or backward, despite engaging the gear lever in D, R, S position and RPM being pushed to 4000-5000 range. The team told me that after FSA, some reprogramming needs to be done. They attached a laptop and some device to the OBD port and repetitively checked – the error message showing on the screen was “Clutch Travel Time Test – FAILED” and “Clutch B stuck”
Several attempts were made, but it failed to budge. Then the “O Ring” put in the clutch housing (at the bottom of the hood) was removed. Still, the vehicle did not move. From 9.20 AM, we were at 1.30 PM now. Then, a similar part accessible from the top side of the engine (it is dual clutch system) was removed, and refixed. This time the vehicle moved a bit on increasing the RPM, but the pickup was far too low. And the diagnostics software showed “Clutch Travel Time Test – FAILED” and “Clutch A stuck”. The team tried their best till 3.30 PM, post which they asked me to leave the vehicle, saying they would have to open the entire transmission and locate the fault. They also informed me that an Engineer from Ford Technical support was scheduled to come on Monday, 6th Jan to the workshop, and they would ask him to diagnose the issue. I had no choice. I did not hear from them till the evening.

On Monday, 6th Jan 2020, I called the service advisor around 10.00 AM and was informed that they are going to try changing the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and he would inform me the status. There was no revert till 3.00 PM despite several calls. Then one of my calls was answered and I was told that the vehicle is running now, and was about to be taken for a test drive on the nearby Delhi-Sonepat Highway. The service advisor, on being asked, informed me that no parts have been changed and the TCM and Clutch housing etc., everything is the same/ original. The vehicle was dropped at my house around 7.00 PM.
The concerns –
1. I am still not aware what had gone wrong?
2. How the vehicle started moving again – Just by luck?
3. Whether the O ring is there or not, now?
4. Whether the entire transmission has been opened to fix the fault?
5. Whether the Ford Engineer really saw the vehicle or it was just a story?
6. If any parts have been changed and substituted with some used parts, just to get the vehicle moving?
The pick-up and smoothness are lesser that what was there before this incident.
In short, the vehicle is no more a sealed, all original, single hand, reliable work horse anymore. Throughout my drive to my office now – 70kms daily, I have a tension in my mind – whether the vehicle is reliable any more or not. Whether, it will get stuck on the highway. Whether all parts, nuts, bolts are tightened to the factory level or not. Whether some used part has been replaced inside…..etc…etc….
And now for the smaller (but troublesome) issues –
1. The attempt by service advisor to include brake bleeding and throttle body cleaning, even though these 2 items are not on Ford’s service cost estimator tool.
2. The petrol tank was at half level when I had given the vehicle and little above the red portion when I got it, a lot of fuel had been wasted in the checking (idling RPM to disengage the stuck gear/clutch)
3. The final bill told to me on phone included an amount for brake fluid, while it was never changed. It is unethical to skip brake fluid change (recommended by Ford in service cost estimate tool) because I had mentioned that Brake bleeding was there in the estimator tool. This amount was removed when I mentioned that no fluid has been changed. Hope, it will not affect the performance, safety and warranty of the vehicle.
All in all, it was a really bad experience for me after the 6 trouble free years of ownership of 2 Ford vehicle (and several others in family and extended family).
I wrote a mail to Ford Customer Service, explaining the whole thing. They did respond and post checking with the dealer, called me up with a bigger surprise. They told me that along with the FSA and routine service, as per service centre records, a door latch had been changed under warranty (the vehicle is under a 3-year warranty). I had no issues with any door and had not even mentioned any door related concern ever…..God knows whom they used the part for…..after claiming it from FORD.
The matter is still Work in progress. The concerned Service Advisor has called up twice apologising for the whole episode. Please share your thoughts.

Hi Friends,
Could you please share the mail IDs of senior team at FORD Chennai to report the recent episode with Harpreet Ford, where my Ecosport AT got stranded at the service station, after they opened the clutch to insert a ring, as per Ford's Service Advisory.

Hello everyone, i took a test drive of the BSVI petrol manual Ecosport on Wednesday. When i started to drive, the MID displayed an average FE of 14.7 kmpl. I do not recall the odometer reading, however, the vehicle was brand new, and i was super happy to see such figures on a test drive vehicle. Moreover, another customer had taken a test drive on that vehicle right before it came to my office. The vibrations at idle were only restricted to the steering wheel, and even then it was almost negligible. The power felt adequate for my requirement, and the steering response was absolutely mind blowing. Drove the vehicle for about five kilometers in moderate traffic with a mixture of light to heavy throttle input, and the FE remained at 14.7 kmpl.

Today, decided to take another go and went to the dealership. This time, it was a different vehicle, which had only 30 kms on the odometer. The MID at start, displayed 7.4 kmpl, which i felt was too low. I took it for a 10 km drive in heavy traffic, and the average FE went down to 7.2 kmpl. Also, in today's vehicle, i felt lot many vibrations under the seat, as well as the steering wheel. That was certainly higher than what it was on the other vehicle.

I have read in the forums, that the Dragon petrol AT customers report FE anywhere between 7 to 8 kmpl in heavy traffic, and 9 to 10 kmpl in moderate traffic, but not many reports on the manual variant.

Considering the above, i have the following questions:

1. What kind of FE figures manual petrol users are getting here?
2. How accurate is the MID in terms of average FE?
3. Also, what is the vibration situation in your vehicles at idle?

Thanks & Regards,

Shankha

2016 Ford Ecosport TDCi clutch overhauling at 65k km

The clutch on our 2016 Ecosport TDCi had become very hard in the last 10-15k km. Upto 40-45k km the clutch action was light enough, then after that it got progressively hard. There was no issue of clutch slippage or any drop in mileage, in fact one day before the clutch overhaul, the car returned 26.4kmpl (MID value) over a 260km highway drive with 5 people on board. The main problem with the clutch was that it had become too hard for city driving. So, finally it was decided that the clutch needs to be replaced.

Even in our previous car, a 2012 Punto MJD, the clutch was overhauled at 69k km. So, 65k km was a decent enough life considering that our Ecosport spends a considerable time in slow city traffic.

The clutch was overhauled in FASS, all the required parts were readily available. The clutch kit (including the clutch disc & pressure plate) & the release bearing were replaced, the flywheel was found to be okay & hence wasn't replaced. After removing the gearbox (for clutch overhauling), they found that one of the gearbox mount was damaged. That mount was replaced under extended warranty :thumbs up. The whole work took around 4 hours, excluding washing. Final bill was Rs. 8782, which I personally believe is very reasonable for a diesel car. In comparison clutch overhauling for the Punto cost us Rs. 9780 back in 2015.

Now for the change, first thing is the clutch action has become very soft, just like when it was new. The slight judder in 1st gear is gone as well. The other surprising thing is that pickup has slightly increased as well.

The trip statistics from the previous day's highway drive (before the clutch overhaul):

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-trip-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-trip-2.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-trip-3a.jpg

The outgoing clutch set:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-oe-clutch-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-oe-clutch-2.jpg

The worn out gearbox mount:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-old-mount1.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-old-mount-2.jpg

New clutch kit:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-clutch-kit.jpg

New release bearing: