Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 01:57   #3076
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
It shows oil pressure switch malfunction. Is this covered under warranty?
Very much covered under warranty.

Quote:
Or should i try cleaning it first before going to the skoda service center. The car was serviced at 24k kms and now stands at 27k.
Not at all. Ask the Skoda Authorized Workshop to rectify the issue.

Quote:
Any specific reason for the failure or its just a one-off incident.
I would term it one off; unless international market too faced same issue at a large scale resulting in a recall.

ONE ADVICE: Buy extended warranty as much available. It's always advisable with German/Czech cars.

Let us know the final outcome.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 00:16   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Very much covered under warranty.

Not at all. Ask the Skoda Authorized Workshop to rectify the issue.

I would term it one off; unless international market too faced same issue at a large scale resulting in a recall.

ONE ADVICE: Buy extended warranty as much available. It's always advisable with German/Czech cars.

Let us know the final outcome.
Actually the papers are in the RTO for the transfer process and the EW cannot be transferred on my name unless the RC arrives with my name on it. So kind of stuck in a helpless situation. I will have to wait untill the RC arrives to claim under EW I guess.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:50   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually the papers are in the RTO for the transfer process and the EW cannot be transferred on my name unless the RC arrives with my name on it. So kind of stuck in a helpless situation. I will have to wait untill the RC arrives to claim under EW I guess.
Did Skoda say that explicitly to wait till RC transfer is complete?

I don't think Skoda should have any issue related to RC transfer to claim Extended Warranty.

As such Extended Warranty gets transferred to next owner automatically.

I would suggest to claim the extended warranty and not wait for RC transfer process.
Old 13th July 2018, 02:41   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Since when did extended warranty became owner specific? EW is given to a vehicle, not to its owner. You should be able to access it as long as the vehicle meets company's policies for EW irrespective of ownership.
Old 13th July 2018, 06:00   #3080
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4148941

I think Skoda insists on the changed RC as proof.
Old 13th July 2018, 08:11   #3081
BANNED

Quote:
Actually the papers are in the RTO for the transfer process and the EW cannot be transferred on my name unless the RC arrives with my name on it.
While this is as per Skoda's (and some other OEMS) policies, what you can do is to show them the challan the RTO would have given you when you submitted the documents for transfer to your name. That should do the job if the transfer is happening within the same state without an NOC.
Old 13th July 2018, 17:42   #3082
BHPian

Update on the issue. Went to Autobahn kurla and told them about the problem. Also told them about the owner change. Surprisingly they dont have a clue about it. The service adviser told me that it doesnt matter you can go ahead and claim it under the EW. My EW wasnot showing on their database. So he took the EW certificate from me and told me he will have to get it updated. Later in the evening he called and told me to collect the car as the part was not available. Also he told me that my EW is from cholamandalam and they are very strict with their policies so will have to leave the car for 8 to 10 working days at the workshop if I wanted to claim it under EW. Considering this is my primary car I decided to not claim the EW and pay for it as the part is not that expensive.
Old 17th July 2018, 18:52   #3083
BHPian

In continuation with post #3071.

My car went to service for Audio Control Unit (HU) replacement under warranty.

For some weird reason, when the car came back, whilst shutting down the engine, the display showed the error code "12v battery almost empty". I immediately contacted my SA, who took my car to the service centre and diagnosed it as battery failure.

The car from day 1 had come with an exide battery, and it had been running for 22 months now.

The SA is telling me that the manufacturer's battery warranty is only of 1 year, and now it's chargeable. Also, he is advising me to stick to Skoda recommended Exide battery of 60 Ah.

Since my case is being monitored also by Skoda HQ, I am not suspecting foul play, but battery issues just upon returning from the service centre sounds suspicious.

Need guidance on the following questions :
1. Is the official warranty only limited to 1 year on batteries?
2. Can I not shift to a different brand like Amaron or SF Sonic? Will changing brands of battery void warranty terms?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2018 at 11:34. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 17th July 2018, 22:43   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
1. Is the official warranty only limited to 1 year on batteries?
Yes. VW/Skoda earlier used Varta (Germany) battery, which were better. Later ones SeBang and Exide (Spain, not to be confused with Indian Exide. Both share same name but are different companies) tend to fail prematurely.

I wouldn't recommend to use it as they are not made keeping Indian conditions in mind.

Quote:
2. Can I not shift to a different brand like Amaron or SF Sonic?
Yes. I'm using Amaron. Found it better than other options.

Quote:
Will changing brands of battery void warranty terms?
No.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 23:10   #3085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car from day 1 had come with an exide battery, and it had been running for 22 months now.

2. Can I not shift to a different brand like Amaron or SF Sonic? Will changing brands of battery void warranty terms?
Ask the dealer whether they can confirm there was no recall on the battery that they may have missed. I had a Sebang OEM battery in mine that was changed (without asking) at the first service at 12 months. Generally, the first battery on VAG cars is a now a scam.

Ask the dealer to explain how your battery suddenly gave up after the service centre visit + to give in writing that warranty is void if you move to a different battery of the same or similar DIN.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 06:53   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Ask the dealer to explain how your battery suddenly gave up after the service centre visit + to give in writing that warranty is void if you move to a different battery of the same or similar DIN.
I am writing up a mail on this. I already had sun visors replaced free of cost, as a goodwill gesture for the troubles I faced with the service, so I think free battery replacement should be pushing them too far, since the official warranty is 1 year, as pointed out by BHPian 'el_lobo_6061'.

Is DIN and Ah in terms of battery terminology the same thing?

PS : My first battery which I received was from Exide , Made in India. I remember categorically checking it whilst delivery, due to the troubles loads of people had with Varta.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2018 at 11:36. Reason: added line./ Minor formatting
Old 18th July 2018, 10:19   #3087
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Is DIN and Ah in terms of battery terminology the same thing?
Ah is the charge storage capacity of the battery

DIN rating (old standard) refers to the single punch oomph that the battery can deliver, specifically for a cold start. There is something called CCA (cold cranking amps) and the DIN rating is built around specific conditions and durations for reliably delivering CCA. There is another, more modern and widely accepted standard for the same thing called SAE rating.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technic...pecifications/

Crudely, Ah is the marathoner rating and DIN is the sprinter rating
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 08:08   #3088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Ah is the charge storage capacity of the battery

Crudely, Ah is the marathoner rating and DIN is the sprinter rating
Understood, but BatteryBhai isn't mentioning the DIN separately on it's site.
According to the battery image, I'm deducing my specs to be 60 Ah and 280 DIN.

Am I right?

Attaching pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20180719080644.jpg  

Old 19th July 2018, 23:45   #3089
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Understood, but BatteryBhai isn't mentioning the DIN separately on it's site.
According to the battery image, I'm deducing my specs to be 60 Ah and 280 DIN.

Am I right?
Right.
280 DIN => the battery can sustain 280A current for 30 seconds and ensure that the voltage does not drop below 9V, when tortured like this at -18C
480 SAE => the battery can sustain 480A current for 30 seconds and ensure that the voltage does not drop below 7.2V, when tortured like this at -18C
Don't be alarmed at the current numbers, yes, these are the actual range of current spikes when the starter motor jumps into action.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:10   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm deducing my specs to be 60 Ah and 280 DIN.

Am I right?
Yes, you need a 60 Ah battery.

In India stores ask for Ah, no one bothers about DIN.

Get a 60 Ah battery or even higher like 63 Ah in case of non availability of 60 Ah battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks