Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 11:25   #1321
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
I feel the 1.8TSI is an awesome choice. On the second day after I got it, I drove to Devanahalli and back. The 115Km round trip gave 15Kmpl with some reasonable traffic and sedate driving. I was very surprised at the number.
That 1.8 TSI is one special engine. If a car is offered with this engine option, my advice to buyers is to forget the other options and grab one as fast as you can. One would think that the 7 speed DSG has a big hand in those mileage figures. If that's the case the 1.2 TSI Polo should deliver much better mileage. But it doesn't. Could be DOHC Vs. SOHC??

I've got the Laura TSI, remapped, fatter tyres, stiffer dampers et all. But even then it never ceases to amaze me with the mileage it delivers. 16, 17 kmpl is easily achievable with a light foot. Mileage rarely falls below 10 kmpl even with a heavy foot on the accelerator.

Similar traffic pattern, same driver, same driving style, petrol from the same bunk etc.. yields almost the same mileage or maybe just marginally more in my Polo GT TSI as my modded Laura!!
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 10:52   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Is the vehicle inspection at 6 months mandatory for Skoda/VW cars. I checked the next service due in the Central info-entertainment system and that only shows the oil change service due at 15k kms/1 year and another vehicle inspection a year later.

My car has not run many kms at all
Old 10th January 2015, 11:31   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Is the vehicle inspection at 6 months mandatory for Skoda/VW cars. I checked the next service due in the Central info-entertainment system and that only shows the oil change service due at 15k kms/1 year and another vehicle inspection a year later.

My advice go in for the inspection because if you happen to miss it they tend to say warranty is void. Generally in the inspection service they just wash the car and check fluid levels but I would advice you not to risk your warranty
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 11:35   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post

It doesn't cost for the first inspection so get it done. All they'll do is open the bonnet, close it, take a small test drive, clean the car and hand it back within 2-3 hrs. So might as well get it done if the dealer is hassle free.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 16:26   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It doesn't cost for the first inspection so get it done. All they'll do is open the bonnet, close it, take a small test drive, clean the car and hand it back within 2-3 hrs. So might as well get it done if the dealer is hassle free.

I had a different experience though. They topped up on oil and windshield washer fluid and the total bill was around 1.1k which is not all bad.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 03:44   #1326
BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I've just been wondering onething. I believe most of the Octavia owners might choose the diesel over petrol.

While buying the diesel one compromises with the rear suspension.

Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
Old 11th January 2015, 07:12   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I've just been wondering onething. I believe most of the Octavia owners might choose the diesel over petrol.

Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
One can always opt for after market suspension like bilstein. But then warranty becomes an issue.
Old 11th January 2015, 09:39   #1328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

No it is not possible to do this. It's way too complex a modification and will affect the ESP as well as brakes. The mounting points need to be checked as well as exhaust design.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 11:04   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Something I thought about too. But then other than being ridiculously noisy, the suspension is not that bad, rides and soaks bumps well; aftermarket dampers and springs could make it slightly better and maybe get rid of that drumming noise
Old 11th January 2015, 15:39   #1330
BHPian

The fuel consumption of Octavia is much better than Jetta of same engine variants.

For ex. for Diesel Manual its 20.6 and for AT its 19.3 in case of Octavia

Whereas in Jetta its 19.33 in Manual and 16.96 for AT.

Even if there is weight difference in both, a difference of 2.3kmpl for Manual is too much. Is weight only the reason?
Old 11th January 2015, 17:28   #1331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
The fuel consumption of Octavia is much better than Jetta of same engine variants.

For ex. for Diesel Manual its 20.6 and for AT its 19.3 in case of Octavia

Whereas in Jetta its 19.33 in Manual and 16.96 for AT.

Even if there is weight difference in both, a difference of 2.3kmpl for Manual is too much. Is weight only the reason?
It is not just the weight of the car. It also has to do with the tuning of the engine. In Jetta, the torque of 320Nm is available from 1750 to 2500RPM, whereas in Octavia, it is available from 1750 to 3000RMP. Also, for the same engine, Jetta is rated at 140PS whereas the Octavia is rated at 143PS. I think this also contributes to the better fuel economy.
Old 12th January 2015, 09:52   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No it is not possible to do this. It's way too complex a modification and will affect the ESP as well as brakes. The mounting points need to be checked as well as exhaust design.

I'm a noob here. So just trying to understand things better.

I believe the mqb platform means that the same chassis is being used across the variants which means the mounting points would be the same.

ESP would indeed be effected - but nothing a small tuning can't help.

No clue how the brakes be effected as I think they are the same for both 1.8tsi and 2.0tdi

Exhaust might be a problem - but why would the mounting points and layout be different? Maybe the pipe's size is different - but basic layout would be same - no?
Old 12th January 2015, 10:12   #1333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm a noob here. So just trying to understand things better.

I believe the mqb platform means that the same chassis is being used across the variants which means the mounting points would be the same.
MQB means it's modular not same chasis. Basically only the front section is standardized and uniform whereas they can change any other section just like adding different Lego pieces together.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-look-...el-drive-cars/

If you see the photos in the review of the 2 suspension units, the multi link needs a central mount but there is no central mounting point in the car with torsion beam.

Quote:
ESP would indeed be effected - but nothing a small tuning can't help.
ESP is dependant on the ECU or BCM (body control module). Unless both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI share the same BCM with the same sensors mounted in same points of chasis, you cannot tune the BCM to work.

Quote:
No clue how the brakes be effected as I think they are the same for both 1.8tsi and 2.0tdi
It's a new axle at the back. Axle is where the brake system is mounted on. You have to check if both are same. They could be different considering power output is different for both cars and then again what about brake bias?

Quote:
Exhaust might be a problem - but why would the mounting points and layout be different? Maybe the pipe's size is different - but basic layout would be same - no?
As I mentioned this can be different as the MQB is like a plug and play Lego kit. MQB is used for hatchbacks, sedan, now MPV and compact SUV.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 13:31   #1334
BHPian

Skoda MirrorLink

Please take a look at this link.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...a/connectivity

The new Fabia allows some certified smartphone apps to directly display on the Bolero infotainment screen. This seems to me like a firmware update that could possibly make it into the current Octavia systems too. I wish they do it soon :-)
Old 12th January 2015, 17:14   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
MQB means it's modular not same chasis. Basically only the front section is standardized and uniform whereas they can change any other section just like adding different Lego pieces together.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-look-...el-drive-cars/

If you see the photos in the review of the 2 suspension units, the multi link needs a central mount but there is no central mounting point in the car with torsion beam.

ESP is dependant on the ECU or BCM (body control module). Unless both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI share the same BCM with the same sensors mounted in same points of chasis, you cannot tune the BCM to work.

It's a new axle at the back. Axle is where the brake system is mounted on. You have to check if both are same. They could be different considering power output is different for both cars and then again what about brake bias?

As I mentioned this can be different as the MQB is like a plug and play Lego kit. MQB is used for hatchbacks, sedan, now MPV and compact SUV.
thanks buddy

this clarifies a lot of things

apparently world over they are offering torsion beam setup with the 2.0 TDI

also they have been pointing towards weight as one of the reasons (cutting down the weight) along with the cost

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks