Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:44   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

Great review,thanks GTO.

The RS variant's extra addons seems like further worsening the ground clearance.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

What a review, and what a website and what a great bunch of folks out here!
Deserves a good 500 stars!!!

But the car is such a disappointment. I waited for this car for well over 9 months.
My 2007 NHC GXi is generations ahead in fit and finish - wont trade it for this.
I dont like the face of the current Innova either - looks like me has to wait for the next gen Innova. Any news of launch times?
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:48   #108
BHPian

Superb review as always by GTO

Mobilio to me seems to be a good product and should occupy the space between Ertiga and Innova thus translating into good volumes for Honda. While cost cutting measure is understandable, poor fit and finish, panel gaps, etc. are not the terms we associate with Honda. In fact lately, many buyers of the new Honda City have started complaining about panel gaps.

It seems like Honda India is under some kind of a pressure to sell in huge numbers and show year on year double digit growth. In these compromises which they are making for this quest for growth, my worry is that they will loose their credibility and goodwill which in the long run will hurt them.

The launch event is scheduled for tomorrow and BHPians can click on either of the following links to watch the event live from 11am.

https://www.facebook.com/HondaCarInd...14140901986584

https://www.hondacarindia.com/Mobilio/Index.aspx

My guess on the launch price - INR 6.39 lacs for petrol and INR 7.69 for diesel.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:00   #109
BHPian

I am a little disappointed with this review.

Sorry, not with the review but with the vehicle reviewed.

Looks like my wait has been in vain and I have to wait some more for either a new version of Ertiga or Innova.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:20   #110
BHPian

Excellent review.

I think Honda has stretched its Brio / Amaze design theme and cost cutting initiatives too far. I simple fail to understand how Honda can go down to such cost cutting measures when players like Hyundai are offering way way better quality in cars like i10 grand,

In my opinion, Mobilio will initially command attention and sales for it being a Honda. After the initial euphoria dies down and assuming Ertiga refresh is offered, I am sure Honda will find it tough to sell the Mobilio in its present avtar. And yes, Honda cannot offered to price it at a premium to Ertiga.
Old 22nd July 2014, 23:01   #111
BHPian

First of all, i feel the following quote couldn't have captured my admiration for this review better, thanks a bunch GTO, really awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
GTO,

Thanks a ton for the much detailed review of the most over hyped car from the Honda stable. Your flair to the details and the writing is unmatched on the forum.

And then this is exactly what I felt about the CVT option, there is absolutely no competition in the MPV automatic space, and i can see so many people, here, on fb etc, asking for it! Honda, please re-survey the market, and put that hardware into action for India too please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We asked Honda why the CVT automatic variant is missing from the list. Honda replied that they have the necessary hardware ready. However, market research showed negligible demand for a 7-seater petrol automatic. Their tone seemed to imply it might follow in the future, but the Mobilio CVT isn't a priority for now. I completely disagree. In my opinion, it would've fit in nicely with the lineup. A Mobilio CVT would have no direct competition and make a compelling addition to the variants offered. Honda has always given automatic trannys on its cars, with the Mobilio being the only Honda currently on sale without one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
As someone who needs a UV with:

1. Automatic transmission
2. Front and side (6 or 8) airbags
3. Three rows of flexible seating

Neither Ertiga nor Mobilio makes the cut. The ladder frame ones - Aria, Innova, Enjoy, etc. don't either. Tata keeps promising an A/T Aria but I guess that'll never happen seeing as they're focused on Bolt/Zest/Kite now.

There are SUVs with these features but 1. They cost a bomb, 2. They're not as spacious as pure UVs, and I need the space more than 4x4 capability.

What options am I left with? A Mercedes R-class that costs more than my house?
Pacifica captures my agony in great details, and great humor too ("costs more than my house"!!)

The below comment mirrors my thoughts cent per cent about the challenge the Mobilio might pose to the Big King:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• One vehicle that ought to watch out for this new breed of monocoque MPVs is the expensive Innova. The Ertiga & Mobilio do 85% of what the Innova can at 65% of the price. The base Ertiga diesel starts at 7.22 lakhs while the Innova D-4D (with air-con) does at 10.5. The monocoque MPVs are also easier to drive / live with in urban India.

Last but not the least, having owned a Hyundai (Santro) and friends owning cars across the range (i10 to Vernas), I agree with the below comment that a Hyundai is the master of VFM, and a 7 seater MPV is soo overdue to spice things up! (But this will really stay overdue for a long time to come right? Or have I missed any concrete gossip / leaks about the Hyundai 7-seater.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
We now need someone like Hyundai to enter this category and raise the quality bar.

Lets huddle together @ 11 am tomorrow guys!
Old 23rd July 2014, 01:08   #112

GTO,

Mesmerizing. I bet, had Q.A Dept. at Honda paid at least 25% of attention what you guys had shown while reviewing, definitely Mobilio would had fared as a better product.

And what's wrong with Honda design dept? Had someone informed them that garish front chrome grill design is breathtaking? Why are they proudly continuing it like the TATA’s? Seriously disappointed with the way Honda styled the MPV. Glaringly out of sync. A view from rear is strikingly awesome with its BMWish tail lamps and a hatch kind of sporty stance, contrarily the side crease lines with a puny front bonnet is no way reflecting the MPV character!

I believe Ertiga is going to give tough competition for mobilio. Though, Ertiga and Mobilio are built out of parts from the bins, Maruti is more successful in showing Ertiga as a premium offering on premium swift platform, compared to Mobilio's cheaper Brio platform.

Honda clearly missed out an opportunity by not providing a slush box. Honda's were the company who used to offer AT's in every segment, why not in MPV? Seriously, a fast rev-happy petrol MPV with a AT is clearly an unexplored area. AT’s will definitely bring in some customers, looking for a spacious vehicle for most of the city drives and occasional highway drives.

Didn't notice anywhere, does it comes with ABS and Airbags as Standard à la Ertiga? (Yeah, the base petrol variant of Ertiga doesn't offer anything).
diliprayar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 02:28   #113
BHPian

Crisp and accurate review GTO!

The 1.5L i-vtec petrol heart used is grand but the main question is the i-dtec motor which should hold the chunk of sales of the Mobilio ! The amaze did sell quite a few numbers at first with this engine initially when launched but however ended up with the sales hitting a plateau which was again soon over taken by the Dzire. The Honda city i-dtec on the other hand sold large numbers mainly because of its established name in the market rather then the fact that honda actually got a Diesel engine under the hood.

The bone of contention now is, although impressive on paper, will the linear pulling oil burner be competent enough to pull a vehicle of this size with 7 souls on board? Especially when it goes head to head with the already established Ertiga and wont fall prey to the same fate as the Amaze? Lets hope for the best

I personally feel Honda should have thrown in a 6th grear like in the City. Oh well beggars can't be choosers.
But whatever it is, i'm dying for the looks of the RS variant!!
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:32   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diliprayar View Post
And what's wrong with Honda design dept? Had someone informed them that garish front chrome grill design is breathtaking? Why are they proudly continuing it like the TATA’s?
Actually a lot of Indians love chrome. Thats the reason why most limited editions come with additional chrome inserts everywhere. So the exterior designing bit is a very individualistic thing. Even GTO wrote that few reviewers found the front chrome bar good. The same chrome bar hasn't stopped City and Amaze sales. So Honda probably found it safer to continue with that winning formula here too.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:56   #115
BHPian

Looking at the pictures, the rear overhang seems pretty significant, anybody think that it may scrape if the car is loaded to capacity?
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:33   #116
BHPian

Thanks guys for the review. As always a superbly detailed & unbiased review.

Honda & Tata were in opposite direction in interior quality, fit & finish department. Well they still are in opposite direction albeit the directions have changed.

That said, this product coming from Honda IMO will find its way into the market well.
The only concerns are the bare bone interiors, some inconsistent fit & finish & not so comfortable third row.
Everything else is a positive & as someone pointed out earlier, it will take its position between Ertiga & Innova.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:13   #117
BHPian

Mobilio Display vehicle has arrived at Capital Honda Meenambakkam Chennai.

The vehicle was completely wrapped up in Body cover and as usual there was a huge crowd.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:26   #118
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone viewing the webcast on Honda site.

It is blocked in my office. Please share price if disclosed
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:29   #119
BHPian

Saw Mobilio getting unloaded from truck. there were around 7 to 10 of them. Looked really good. Not a big fan of face. But very elegant tail lights and looked bulky. Almost all the colors were in this lot, but liked white a lot. if they price sensibly, Ertiga will surely take a hit.

As a customer i'm really happy they way we are clogged with options. Mobilio is surely a winner if priced correct.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:30   #120
BHPian

Excellent review by GTO! This level of detail is what makes this forum THE best Indian automotive site on the internet.

The car is very good but glaring omissions such as a few pieces of rubber and that interior trim in the name of cost cutting is just mind boggling. How much money did Honda save by doing this? I'm sure its going to be much less than the few potential customers (Only a few, i'm sure the general public will not even notice) who are going to be turned off looking at these. Overall, it seems like a half baked product to me and requires a lot more work in detailing.

Most Viewed