Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:31   #196
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio : Official Review

Well Honda has pulled a "Jazz" with Mobilio or shall i say Honda has "Jazzed" the Mobilio
Till some time ago, Honda used to sell premium quality at premium prices as compared to its Japanese rival Suzuki who was/is known for poor quality at poor man prices (Ok let me amend this to VFM quality at VFM price). But things started to change when Honda took a leaf or two from Suzuki and started tin box type quality (with Amaze, continued with Mobilio) with glaring cost cutting measures (again in Amaze and Mobilio) and under refined engine (i-DTEC). But i think the success of Amaze has hit Honda's head and they now feel that they can sell poor quality product (Mobilio) at a premium price that too in a segment where others with better quality and better prices have failed miserably (Enjoy, Evalia). Well Good Luck Honda. Hope you can get enough people with your Badge as your product on its own will not sell at this pricing.
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:35   #197
BHPian

Folks- I'm no expert but I have a slightly tangential view to what is being hashed and rehashed on this thread. I am no apologist for Honda (currently own 3 Maruti's) so no ulterior motives either.

1. Interiors- Yes, I get it. Very basic at this price-point and more function over form but well put together and ergonomic based on what I infer from GTO's review as well as what I saw during the mall displays. A lot has been said about how thin the seat is but GTO also goes on to say that despite the integrated head-rest and thin back rest "The seats offer decent support (including in the lumbar area) and have excellent knee room", does this not count? One of my current cars has integrated head-rests and I for one have not experienced any difference in comfort. In fact over the 6+ years of ownership of my other 2 cars with the non-integrated head rests I don't believe I have ever altered them from their original position, but then again I'm no expert and this is probably not a deal-breaker for me. What really concerns me is stuff like the exposed ABS wire, shoddy fitment of the seat-belt warning cables etc. Then again, if Honda is able to make big decisions such as doing away with the faux-wood dash, Touch screen system etc. during the media drive event, this leads me to believe (or hope for Honda's sake) that these could be initial test production run niggles which would get ironed out during actual production.

2. Engine Options/Drivability- In all fairness I believe Honda have outdone themselves in this department. With my use spread out over bumper to bumper city driving and highway runs clocking approximately 600 kms every week, this is what makes or breaks the deal for me. While most comments conveniently choose to ignore this aspect, the fact is that from a drivability and efficiency standpoint this car blows the competition away.

3. Exteriors- Again very subjective and each one to his own. I for one am not too concerned about the family resemblance. But the fact that there is more flexibility with internal space when it comes to the competition does count

So while I am not very price sensitive and am in the market for a "soft" MUV, will I plonk down 12L+ (estimated on road BLR) for the Mobilio? Well, I need to be convinced of the below factors

1. Is the car put together well enough to last me 6+ years. I can live with boring interiors so long as they last the distance

2. I need to drive this myself in peak hour traffic and open stretches to check on drivability as this is my non-negotiable (we decided against the competition only due to this)

3. Will my family be comfortable and safe? (there was a short video on the crash tests during the launch, need to look them up)

Thank you for reading, Cheers!
Caadmara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:37   #198
BHPian

Waited for this day (price announcement day) ever since honda announced that they will bring a 7 seater MUV to India. The last one month was very tough since i was caught between Ertiga and Mobilio. I literally spent sleepless nights while deciding between the two and was not able to come to a clear conclusion.

Finally, Honda has announced the pricing. Thanks Honda, you cleared all my confusions/dilemma about which MUV to buy. I booked Ertiga VDI today. With this pricing, buyers like me can easily ignore Mobilio.
n_naik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:40   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Waited for this day (price announcement day) ever since honda announced that they will bring a 7 seater MUV to India. The last one month was very tough since i was caught between Ertiga and Mobilio. I literally spent sleepless nights while deciding between the two and was not able to come to a clear conclusion.

Finally, Honda has announced the pricing. Thanks Honda, you cleared all my confusions/dilemma about which MUV to buy. I booked Ertiga VDI today. With this pricing, buyers like me can easily ignore Mobilio.

Exactly, booked my Ertiga Zxi today. Finally the wait is over!
guruji is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:44   #200
BHPian

Even being based on Brio platform, had they put better interiors, this pricing could have been justified. There is absolutely no logical reason why it should cost more than Ertiga except premium on brand name. Wonder how much sensitive is this segment for brand name.
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:44   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Exactly, booked my Ertiga Zxi today. Finally the wait is over!
Honda had good sales with Amaze purely because Dzire lacked the boot. But They think same will work with Ertiga too (Mobilio has better boot !!)

When i Chose Ertiga over Amaze and Etios, the decision was purely due to the interiors and the build quality. And now we have another vehicle from Honda with Same interiors and even more price !!

All they had to do was price it aggressively, perhaps same or cheaper than Ertiga. Those interiors and all that cost cutting meant that only isnt it ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:48   #202
Senior - BHPian

@ Honda's pricing. Don't know who was smoking what when they decided to price it this way. I thought Honda has learned how to tame Indian market after sensible Amaze and City pricing but guess the success of those cars had gone to their head. Seeing this my hopes for a sensible Jazz pricing is gone.

However this is what we at T-bhp thinks its overpriced. How general public perceives it can be seen only after a couple of months sales reports.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:19   #203
Team-BHP Support

Ouch.

I was actually going to post yesterday that there is so much negativity on this thread regarding the Mobilio but Honda might have come up with aggressive pricing to justify all this. Seeing as to how the Amaze was priced so close to the Dzire, Honda might do the same with the Mobilio i.e. price it on par with the Ertiga. This would change the perception on this thread.

But instead Honda has priced the Mobilio way too high. 1.25L above the top spec Ertiga is completely unjustified.

Sorry to say but I feel Honda has missed the boat on this one. Let's see what the numbers say but the enthusiasm sure has taken a nose dive.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:26   #204
BHPian

Enjoy appears VFM with better 3rd row space than Ertiga and Mobilio
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:36   #205
BANNED

Honda Mobilio : Official Review

It might be a master stroke by Honda. With the already demanding situation they are faced with respect to deliveries of Amaze and City, they can ill afford another car raking up 5k numbers every month.

With this pricing they have ensured that doesn't happen. Well done. Now we can safely wait for a year or two and see a price correction. <applause>

Too bad, however woeful it might look from inside, I thought the rear quarter was a sight indeed...

Last edited by methecupid : 23rd July 2014 at 16:38.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:37   #206
BHPian

Hi guys

Booked the Diesel Mobilio VMT today at Chennai! Shame there was no auto option otherwise would have purchased it blindly!

Booking and Test Drive experience:
1. Simple Affair: Ex-Delhi Prices were quoted. We factored a 2% variation at the most. Our model was 9.7 Ex-Showroom. Rs 51,000/- was booking advance.
2. Space was amazing: 1st row was car like. 2nd row had recline and sliding(only top model). 3rd row had recline. I know some of you had commented on the poor seating angle of the 3rd row. But we found it better than the Ertiga, Scorpio and XUV500! Maybe only the Innova and Xylo have a better 3rd row. When the 2nd row is slid forward, the 3rd row is much more acceptable. Access to 3rd row is not bad.
3. Engine and Pickup: The 1.5 i-DTEC has stats on paper similar to the Ertiga and Innova. 200nm torque and Sub 100 bhp. But where it wins is power to weight ratio. In short, it is not a VW Vento TDI / Hyundai Verna, but it is not a slow coach either.
4. NVH: Yes, its a weak point for sure. Sounded GRR GRR GRR... types to me!!
5. Handling: Very good for a MPV. On par with our sunny. I thought the Xylo and Scorpio were like houseboats in comparison. This is definitely car like!
6. Other notes: Prices in chennai not realeased. The pertrol version was not availble for Test drive. says alot about what Honda expects the sales ratio of petrol:diesel.

Variant Suggestion: V Version Only. Why, you ask? Because, for me, the exclusion of the below is a deal breaker. And only the V version has these all together.
- Air bags
- ABS
- Central/Remote Locking
- Rear AC
- Boot glass wiper
- Power windows, steering, ORVM

Am happy to take any questions guys. Just quote me or PM me I studied the whole segment before choosing this car. Ertiga, Innova, XUV, Duster , Scorpio, XYLO, Evalia. Sorry i dont do chevy tho.

Last edited by acidkill : 23rd July 2014 at 16:41.
acidkill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:37   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's another perspective: I can buy the Mobilio without the 3rd row of seats (that is, the Honda Amaze) for 2.3 lakhs lesser! 2 lakhs is a lot for a kiddie seat, you'll agree?
Even for kids, think of the trouble of fixing a child seat in that 3rd row. You may end up using the the 2nd row for kids, and effectively use the car as a regular hatchback.
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:45   #208
Senior - BHPian

What a pricing by Honda!!

With Top variant Mobilio money you can by 3 Brio
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:46   #209
BHPian

With the price announcement Honda has made the mobilio "immobilio" . I was expecting prices at par with Ertiga. Newer car is expected with added features and good looks. Only advantage I thought was the engines. But if you want to take on the leader , you should have priced at par if not lesser.
inder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:46   #210
BHPian

Honda has helped the fence sitters with their pricing. There are already few members here who are on the Ertiga side and have booked or will book shortly. Its certainly does not look like taking on Innova.

Next is Fleet operators. People who hire a MPV would not care so much about interiors or panel fits. Does it offer a good ride quality for 7 people on long drives? Something the Innova does a good job. Looking at the official review, 7 people on long drives is tough ask. Comparing with a 2.5L Innova, 1.5 IDTEC looks meek. Lets see if the frugal IDTEC is able to bring down the per km rate and attract the fleet operators and their customers. Fleet usually does not go for top end variants and so it boils down if the mid variants are good enough.

So who is left? Honda loyalists. Out of this lot, there would be few who will indeed be disappointed with the quality job (if not the price). So what remains to be seen is how much conversion Honda is able to forge?
Vahanam is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed