Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 15:46   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Going by my td experience of both the Petrol zest and the diesel zest , i would say i found the petrol zest to be more fun.
(My regular drive is a diesel Manza)
Of course the call has to be made by your friend by taking various other parameters in consideration.
Since the actual road condition mileage figures are still not clearly available from users who have recently bought a diesel Zest, comparing it with Manza is an option (assuming the weight - see below and motors - both Quadrajet being similar)

So could you please share your mileage in city and highway conditions, the best and worst.

For reference kerb weights of both cars -

Manza (D) - 1200 kg (kerb)
Zest (D) - 1170 kg (kerb)
Old 19th September 2014, 15:51   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
So could you please share your mileage in city and highway conditions, the best and worst.
In Bangalore city driving I get between 14.5 to 15.5 kmpl with AC usage of 30%
On good highways e.g. NH4 types it is 22+kmpl with AC usage of 100%
On stop-and-go highways e.g. Bangalore-Mysore it is 18-20 kmpl with AC usage of 100%

As per my SA at Concorde Motors, my city mileage is lower than what others get. Hope this info helps.
sachinayak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 15:57   #828
BHPian

Very nice and candid review guys. I feel Tata Motors has really started working on their cars taking into consideration the Market Dynamics and competition analysis.

Zest looks like a nice product and a lot of R&D seems to have gone into it. We have a stiff competition in this segment now with the likes of Honda Amaze, Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire, the new Hyundai Xcent and now Tata Zest.

By Far among all of these Tata Zest remains my pick due to its size, spaciousness, power (specially petrol), Ground clearance and overall muscular and manly look.

PS: Love this Blue shade on Zest.
Old 19th September 2014, 15:59   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Since the actual road condition mileage figures are still not clearly available from users who have recently bought a diesel Zest, comparing it with Manza is an option (assuming the weight - see below and motors - both Quadrajet being similar)

in Mumbai the manza is being used as office commute source . I encounter peak hour rush both to and fro.
city : 12-13kmpl

On highways with my style of driving(100-120 kmph speeds) i have always got around 16-18 kmpl.

This is tankful to tankful autocut method with 195-60-R15 Yoko c drives tyres.
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 11:12   #830
BHPian

Quote:

Girish,

I own the newer Club Class Manza and have always got anywhere from 15 to 16.5Kms in city and well over 22Kms on highways.

I would expect the Zest to be in the same category or better.

Cheers!

Shashi
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 13:58   #831
BHPian

Quote:

I have a 2011 Manza. It gives me 14-14.5 kmpl in the Mumbai traffic (100% AC). Highway mileage varies from 16-20 kmpl (100% AC). Zest should be marginally better.
mahesh_sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 14:24   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
The Amaze also has these cross bars behind the rear seat, and I guess the other compact sedans would also have them.

I may be wrong but while they might help in torsional rigidity, I doubt if they are made to protect passengers from rear ending. The entire boot area would have to be squeezed in before these bars come into effect. It would also mean that hatchback passengers are at greater risk from rear ending, as they have a smaller boot and no cross bars.
FIAT's Punto & Linea have a full and solid (not thin) metal sheet covering the entire backside of the rear seat. This is to prevent luggage intrusion in case the vehicle is rear ended. Gives a bulletproof feeling
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-puntorearseatmetalback.jpg  

jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 15:07   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Zest official accessories & merchandise pricelist:
Dear gsurya, any idea what that mood light is about? Is just lighting decor on the dash board or something to do with the actual cabin highlights, which are white

I have booked the Zest already, curious to know if these accessories will be dealer fitted or can be done in factory? Any one has any idea please?

I have asked for a paint on the front brake callipers and dealer confirmed it will be done

One last 🙋, I read that the Hk head unit is future proof and navigation may be included later, any visibility on that from any body?
Old 20th September 2014, 22:05   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Revotron test drive

I took a reasonably long test drive of the Revotron on the highway, service roads, patchy and potholed diversions around under construction flyovers.

Some observations:
- Very nice steering. Even better than my Polo GT. Well weighed and direct. No play. Perfectly stable even at triple digit speeds. Kudos to Tata. It's a slap in the face to Hyundai.
- Super light clutch
- Very good brakes (I braked from 80kmph to 0 on an empty road, and the car stopped in a straight line without any drama).
- Very nice suspension. Car went through the patchy and potholed sections unflustered. The ride was supremely comfortable. Also, high speed lane changes were sure footed.
- The engine is decently peppy. The low end grunt is good (pulls better than those NA petrol small cars that I have driven). Mid range and in gear acceleration are also decent. And A pedal response does become sharper in Sports mode. The 1.2 TSi in the Polo is quicker but still Revotron is a pleasure to drive. I purposefully slowed down till 1200 RPM in 3rd, 4th and 5th and then tried to get going again without downshifting, it pulled very well - thanks to the turbo. I also revved to 5000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd and it revved happily without any undue noise and with proportionate progress on the road.
- The instrument cluster is very nice. Coming from VW/Skoda camp, I am a fan of simple and elegant while on black dials with no fancy fonts or colors. I find most of the MFDs these days (XUV, i20...) overly fancy and gaudy. The one in Revotron is a pleasant surprise. Just like Skodas, it offers plenty of info, that too in soothingly simple colors and font. It's "not in your face". In fact, the MFD section in my Polo uses horrible red backlight which I hate, no such irritant in the zest. A big thumbs up to Tata. BTW, MFD also shows the mode (eco, city, sports) and the current gear, 2 trip meters, average and instantaneous FE, etc...
- Driver seat is very comfortable. The rear also has enough space and I hope it's comfortable as well (I read a discussion that raises some doubts about rear seats, but could not get a chance to try them during the TD as I was driving all the time)
- There are other things like bluetooth, steering controls, reverse camera, etc which are great, did not bother to test those much. But the SA insisted on showing those and I saw that it can download the contacts, call log and messages from your phone. Nice. The one in my Polo can not download any of these!

Some things that could be better:
- the rear windscreen defogger is available only in the top variant!
- the doors can't hold any water bottles
- doors don't close with a thud, but neither do they in my Polo
- Average FE was showing 8kmpl. I am sure the car is getting ripped in every TD, but still. Of course, petrol can never match diesel in terms of FE and if decently driven, everyday FE of 12-13 should be achievable. One good thing is - when I lifted my right foot and the car coasted in gear, instantaneous FE went to max (indicating the fuel is cut off, just like in any modern engine). So I am sure Tata have got all the basics right.
- and some minor such things that I noted but instantly forgot in the shadow of all the good things

Overall, I am really impressed with Revotron and Zest. Very well made car by Tata. The engine is good of course, but what's extra special is the steering, handling and braking. This car is right up there in the league of Skodas and the likes...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th September 2014 at 22:22.
anandpadhye is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 22:08   #835
BHPian

Met my Revotron XT Pristine White for the first time today, even got to drive it a bit at the stockyard, was butter smooth & utterly silent. Cant wait to drive it around. Another week I guess.

I love the color but wont say its worth a premium of 5K, Dune Beige/Red/Blue/Grey all look great. Some may even like the Silver, I didnt.

Some pics from our first meeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-029.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-028.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-026.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-023.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-020.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-017.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-010.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-003.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-021.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-022.jpg  

gsurya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 22:55   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Met my Revotron XT Pristine White for the first time today, even got to drive it a bit at the stockyard, was butter smooth & utterly silent. Cant wait to drive it around. Another week I guess.

I love the color but wont say its worth a premium of 5K, Dune Beige/Red/Blue/Grey all look great. Some may even like the Silver, I didnt.

Some pics from our first meeting.
Looks Elegant. Do you have pictures of the car in grey too? Please post them if you do.

Congratulations on the purchase and looking forward to your ownership review.

Cheers,
trek
Old 20th September 2014, 23:03   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Looks Elegant. Do you have pictures of the car in grey too? Please post them if you do.
Yes I saw a Dune Beige & Grey also today. That means this thread now has pics of all colors posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-005.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-030.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-031.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-033.jpg  

gsurya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 23:47   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
- Average FE was showing 8kmpl. I am sure the car is getting ripped in every TD, but still. Of course, petrol can never match diesel in terms of FE and if decently driven, everyday FE of 12-13 should be achievable. One good thing is - when I lifted my right foot and the car coasted in gear, instantaneous FE went to max (indicating the fuel is cut off, just like in any modern engine). So I am sure Tata have got all the basics right.
- and some minor such things that I noted but instantly forgot in the shadow of all the good things
The Revotron I test drove also showed the same FE of 8 km/l. Makes me wonder if turbo petrols really give any fuel efficiency advantage? Or should we change our driving style and remain in higher gears while slowing down for potholes/speed breakers/slow traffic to get better efficiency? In other words should we take advantage of the higher torque at lower revs to remain in the higher gears as much as possible to get better efficiency?

Hence, keenly awaiting real world fuel efficiency numbers from owners of the petrol zest.

Last edited by naut : 20th September 2014 at 23:56.
Old 21st September 2014, 05:29   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Dear gsurya, any idea what that mood light is about? Is just lighting decor on the dash board or something to do with the actual cabin highlights, which are white

I have booked the Zest already, curious to know if these accessories will be dealer fitted or can be done in factory? Any one has any idea please?

I have asked for a paint on the front brake callipers and dealer confirmed it will be done

One last 🙋, I read that the Hk head unit is future proof and navigation may be included later, any visibility on that from any body?

Acessories are yet to reach my dealer so he had no clue, I had these same questions & more.

My SA said HK unit is software upgradable but had no idea if it can be scaled up to navigation.

Why paint the front brake calipers? U mean with body paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 21st September 2014, 06:11   #840
BHPian

Man its looking gorgeous in white. And thanks a lot for posting pics of Dune beige colour. Now I have a idea that how Zest looks in Beige colour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks