Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 17:10   #466
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118pramod View Post
For all XTA owners: I just wanted to check on whats the mileage you folks are getting? My wife drives in Bangalore and I drive occasionally and until recently we were getting about 12 on an average, which is too low. I just want to understand if we are missing on something. We have just got the 1st service done about 2 weeks ago and things does not seem to improve.
That is approx the usual mileage for XTA in Bangalore city if you do not care for FE much. I get maybe a bit better than that at about 13.5. Things improve to 14.5 max if I avoid long periods of idling at signals. But I usually commute from E City to Domlur which has a stretch of comparitively free Hosur road. Maybe you drive in a more crowded part of the city which could be the reason for the lower figure. Also try to drive with a lighter foot keeping as steady a speed as possible and shortest possible time in 1st gear. Use the IFE bar to keep it above 20 as much as possible. Things should improve. First service should not make a difference to the FE IMO.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 06:46   #467
BHPian

I drive from HSR to Marathalli during peak hours (9:30 - 10:30 AM) in the morning and during less traffic hours in the evening (4 - 5 pm). My mileage is also 12 km/l.

When I used the expensive Shell fuel it gave me 13 km/l. So basically I am getting same bang for the buck.

I drive in sport mode 30% - 50% of the time.
smiddela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 13:54   #468
BHPian

Tata Nano XTA Auto Manual Transmission:

One among the Tata Nano Chosen One's from Bangalore and one among the first to be delivered.

Driven around close to 1600kms so far and all the ODO distance came from exclusively city driving driving in the busy lanes and worst ever traffic conditions in Bangalore.

For the first top-up of the petrol - the Mileage was just 8kmpl and as usual I was definitely surprised by the number.

Subsequently, the FE increased to 10kmpl -11kmpl. The max I have got is close to 12.5kmpl so far.

During these 2 months, the Car has visited service centre for 3 times, as the fuel gauge floating sensor was faulty and it was replaced 3 times. Seems the gauge is working fine now.

So far, it's good for ONLY City drive conditions and brakes aren't good and one needs to ensure you calculate your braking distance every time.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:53   #469
BHPian

I do the (in)famous 'silk'route in Bangalore daily. Much like its illustrious predecessor , the stretch is fraught with danger, requires supreme navigation skills and progress is slow. Needless to say 5th gear has eluded me ever since I bought the XTA. AFE was also 11 at best with AC on all the time.
And so I went to NICE road on Sunday, reset trip A and went all the way to the other end and back.
5th gear fell in at ~70. AFE showed 18.
AFE of trip B which I use for tank-to-tank measurement also increased to 14
So I guess it is all about where you drive and to an extent how you do it. In bangalore roads you dont have much options other than creep.
The AMT is not supposed to vary the FE much but my old nano used to give me 16-17 on the same stretch.
Old 1st September 2015, 15:33   #470

I bought the new nano XTA last week (Blue colour). I have driven it for less than 100 km only. The amt is like the first automatic I drove in US, takes time for gear to slot. Brake is a bit "slow" however one learns quickly.
The average fuel consumption in the display shows 13 kmpl. A bit disappointed, particularly since the earlier posts seem to corroborate this. Will keep a watch and update.

What I liked is the small footprint and turning radius. Space inside is good for the car size. IMHO, still value for money if one wants an automatic.
Things I would like improved:
Car engine noise outside. Noise does not seep inside , so its OK.
Better brakes.
Fuel efficiency. Particularly since sales said its 22 kmpl!!! No that I believed him.
Atleast one water bottle holder. Even a 750 ml would do.
Slightly quicker gear change, maybe?
Auto dimming rear view mirror & side mirror or flip mirror at least.

Overall, first few Kms, I am satisfied by purchase as city only car.
Old 1st September 2015, 15:54   #471
Senior - BHPian

My Nano showed FE figures of 13kmpl and 16kmpl till the first oil change. Then it's been above 18kmpl almost all the time.
Please note I drive a manual, 2012 LX model, but the point is the efficiency should improve after the first oil change.
Old 1st September 2015, 15:58   #472
Senior - BHPian

Is there a long wait for the Nano XTA in Bangalore?

A friend booked one in mid June and was given a delivery time of mid September.
Unusually high for a car that is not selling in huge numbers.
The booking is from Aadya Motors.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:59   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

I actually had the same question from a friend. Here in Hyd, the dealer is claiming that the AMT boxes are hard to come by and hence there is a 3 month wait.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:01   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

+1 - The waiting period is 2 months plus for XTA. My friend have booked one (Red color) in July and the expected delivery is September 1st week, but still no news from the dealership about the delivery date.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 14:13   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
+1 - The waiting period is 2 months plus for XTA. My friend have booked one (Red color) in July and the expected delivery is September 1st week, but still no news from the dealership about the delivery date.

--Anoop
Yes, even I have booked one at Aadaya motors in the first week of Aug and no signs of delivery yet !! Wonder how long the wait would be

Also, I feel since Suzuki have control over Magnetti Marelli who are the sole supplier for AMT, its a deliberate strategy by Maruti to create scarcity to Tata Motors so that they don't run away with success with this one.

But nevertheless, its again planning by Tata Motors which is to be blamed. They had a decent Nano for the first time and healthy booking numbers. They should have ensured there were enough AMT boxes for customers.

Looks like Tata will again lose the game as customers get frustrated with waiting and will look for something else. Wake up Tata and atleast sell when you can !! Why don't they divert the Zest AMT to nano ? I don't think has Zest has that kind of demand !!

I can only sympathise with Tata. They can never get it right. They have good products, screwed by incompetent dealers/service centers. If all goes well, they get an incomplete product with no availability for people who are keen to buy !! Case in point example even with about 20K more, they should have got disc brakes in Nano AMT to make it a world class car. God save them !!

PS: Tata Dealers are a set of morons. The person whom I am talking to from Aadya motors Bangalore has no clue whether I will ever get my Nano !! Every time he says he will call me back in 30 mins and that 30 mins never comes !!

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like.... this....

Last edited by ampere : 2nd September 2015 at 15:31. Reason: Dotty Post
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:58   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Also, I feel since Suzuki have control over Magnetti Marelli who are the sole supplier for AMT, its a deliberate strategy by Maruti to create scarcity to Tata Motors so that they don't run away with success with this one.
I am more inclined to believe that Maruti was spared of such efforts, the GenX sales hardly changed numbers after the first month. Around 2K units was the sale of on the old gen Nano on a good month and it is still around that mark. The AMT goes into two models, the other three are manuals. So the monthly average sales should have remained quite the same if it was just AMT shortage. The non-AMTs are overpriced, Tata managed to do this to themselves.
Quote:
But nevertheless, its again planning by Tata Motors which is to be blamed. They had a decent Nano for the first time and healthy booking numbers. They should have ensured there were enough AMT boxes for customers.
+1
To say that they didn't expect bookings of 5K-odd unit in the first month reveals the expectations of the manufacturer.
Quote:
Looks like Tata will again lose the game as customers get frustrated with waiting and will look for something else. Wake up Tata and atleast sell when you can !! Why don't they divert the Zest AMT to nano ? I don't think has Zest has that kind of demand !!
True, playing hard to get is not advisable, especially for Tata who are not enjoying any real brand loyalty or even a positive image.
Quote:
PS: Tata Dealers are a set of morons. The person whom I am talking to from Aadya motors Bangalore has no clue whether I will ever get my Nano !! Every time he says he will call me back in 30 mins and that 30 mins never comes !!
Last week I got a call from a dealer since I showed interest in the GenX Nano. I asked her why she took more than three months to give a call, there was no answer and the call ended. The "will get back to you" is common for them, I guess in Tata-speak it means "you will get it when you get it"
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 16:20   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
True, playing hard to get is not advisable, especially for Tata who are not enjoying any real brand loyalty or even a positive image.

Last week I got a call from a dealer since I showed interest in the GenX Nano. I asked her why she took more than three months to give a call, there was no answer and the call ended. The "will get back to you" is common for them, I guess in Tata-speak it means "you will get it when you get it"
Well, I would not agree here that Tata does not enjoy real brand loyalty. I for one, own the Safari Dicor and Manza, which are both gems in their own ways in their own price segments. This is also to do with the Indian herd mentality of playing down our own goods. For example, 3 months waiting for a Honda or Toyota, its fine. But Tata : what a joke

Now, here is the problem. Tata motors has enough infrastructure and money to do something like what Domino's has. When you book your car, give the customer a unique id and displaying the tracking in real time. Like order received - car in production - car shipped - delivered at dealer location etc.

Just like pizza ordered - pizza baked - out for delivery
Why rely on these morons ?

So Tata motors have the following revamps to be achieved - revamp the products (partly in progress ) revamp the production to cater to in-demand products - revamp the dealers - revamp the service centers

The question is by the time all this is achieved the competitors would have revamped completely - Maruti already has a Nexa - Tata could have had a Lounge Safari - long back !!
power ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:23   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Well, I would not agree here that Tata does not enjoy real brand loyalty. I for one, own the Safari Dicor and Manza, which are both gems in their own ways in their own price segments. This is also to do with the Indian herd mentality of playing down our own goods. For example, 3 months waiting for a Honda or Toyota, its fine. But Tata : what a joke
Let me explain why I made that statement and I assure you that it has nothing to do with where it was manufactured. I have a 2014 December Tata Nano which I wanted to exchange for a GenX when the GenX was launched. After 5 months of usage and less than 800 km on the ODO, not a scratch anywhere, Tata offered me 65% the cost of the vehicle. This is how much the manufacturer values their own vehicle, this is what I will get back if I am pressed to sell the vehicle. Honda and Toyota, I am pretty sure I will get a way better deal in similar conditions, I am ready to wait 3 months for that. This is not herd mentality, the act of playing down our own goods is done by the very manufacturer.

Last Tata for me.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:00   #479
BHPian

I pre-booked XTA in April for my wife (much before the launch) and got my delivery in late July. Had to follow up with the dealer quite a lot. It took nearly 3 weeks for the car to reach the dealer after the allocation was done - which was surprising.
I have done 1100 kms in the last 6 weeks and have been averaging 17-18 but the driving is in relatively leaner periods (6-9 am & 4-6pm). All the driving has been in AMT mode - have not used the M at all.

Wifey has been absolutely comfortable using the car - she had been on scooty all this while.
Like someone pointed out there are some use cases where you will need to understand the mind of the AMT - like steep climbs in start stop traffic. But apart from that it has been a breeze.

For the price point this is the best value for money - absolutely no regrets for getting this second car home.
LonelyPlanet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:29   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Let me explain why I made that statement and I assure you that it has nothing to do with where it was manufactured. I have a 2014 December Tata Nano which I wanted to exchange for a GenX when the GenX was launched. After 5 months of usage and less than 800 km on the ODO, not a scratch anywhere, Tata offered me 65% the cost of the vehicle. This is how much the manufacturer values their own vehicle, this is what I will get back if I am pressed to sell the vehicle. Honda and Toyota, I am pretty sure I will get a way better deal in similar conditions, I am ready to wait 3 months for that. This is not herd mentality, the act of playing down our own goods is done by the very manufacturer.

Last Tata for me.
Partly agree with you sun_king. But if you dig further you will realize my point. What will Tata do with buying your car at higher price ? They have to resell to some customer as a used car and again the public perception of Tata which I am referring to comes into play, lowering the price.

To make my case I would like to state the public perception with the example of ARIA. The top end Aria with 6 air bags, sat nav and ECAP crash certification was retailing close to 18 lakhs. This was not accepted by the public whereas we are ok to pay the much less competent Innova top end model for about 16 laks OTR !!

The public expectation is rutheless for a Tata. State of the art at 60% price of Honda, Hyundai or Toyata is the expectation. When they get something very practical like Nano, public brand it as cheap car . Yes, I do agree some of the initial cars of Tata age very fast in terms of plastics etc. However, technically they are much better in terms of build quality and the underlying engineering I would say. Tata should have thrown their plastic vendor long back.

One other thing I would like to mention, Tata were visionaries when they entered the passenger car market. I still remember when Tata Estate was launched, it was the first vehicle to come with power windows, power steering, independent suspension etc, not to mention the acres of space. They followed it with the iconic Sierra and Safari. All that they did not do was continue improving these products and launch such iconic cars. Then came indica and all things broke loose. They could have continued with beautiful cars with advanced engineering and become a niche player, the only Indian manufacturer of niche cars. But they lost the race badly. I wonder where the team which created Sierra and Safari is now

Most Viewed