Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 12:52   #31
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review

Viddy - Thanks for an excellent review, rated much deserved 5 *'s

Given that the Kwid with 1.0L engine in it's only available RxT trim is just Rs.22k more than the 0.8L engine RxT variant, having more lower variants in the 1.0 version will not make sense and I think Renault rightly decided to have just one. But this still has the potential to cannibalise the 0.8L RxT variant!
The way forward as you have rightly said is to probably offer a top of line RxZ with at least ABS, ORVM adjusters, rear wash/wipe.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 15:56   #32
BHPian

Excellent review. I appreciate the stress given on engine and not on other aspects.

This car is meant for masses, and most buyers in this segment don't actually care about the things we have enlisted as wishes. Yes, RXZ (O) AMT is what few of us can afford, but then it's pure economics.
revharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 16:37   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

My Kwid 1.0 has reached the dealer. Checked it with bhpian CGB. The mirror and cladding graphics seemed toned down in white colour shade. And wheel covers are dark grey on white 1.0
Alloys are awesome but are priced exorbitantly @ 7500rs apiece.
I will get the delivery this Thursday or Friday.

But to think of it, a small A segment car (RXT(O) variant) costs 5,01,000/- on road, my celerio ZXI(O) costed me just 98k more and it has alloys, ABS, dual airbags & is significantly more roomy.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160905_15_58_39_pro.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160905_16_02_07_pro.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160905_16_00_02_pro.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160905_16_14_53_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th September 2016 at 16:48.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 17:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Those machined alloys look really nice! Have you opted for these Prasanna? Congrats on your ride!

But 7500 Rs a piece for these 13"ers are no joke man! That's more like the price of an entry level 16" alloy wheel from the aftermarket.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 17:40   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Those machined alloys look really nice! Have you opted for these Prasanna? Congrats on your ride!

Thank you!

I wanted to have those alloys. They looked lovely. But then, the dealer won't buyback the steel wheels that came with the car, and 30k for four 13 inch wheels on a 5 lakh car seemed like an illogical expenditure. So, I am going to be content with those dark grey wheel covers.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 18:12   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I will get the delivery this Thursday or Friday.

But to think of it, a small A segment car (RXT(O) variant) costs 5,01,000/- on road, my celerio ZXI(O) costed me just 98k more and it has alloys, ABS, dual airbags & is significantly more roomy.
The price of these alloys is certainly very high indeed.
And Im reasonably sure that with the sensitivity that Renault is now showing to the India market, it is a matter of time before they come up with a Kwid Refresh Deluxe or something similar, with the 1 litre engine and all the options as outlined above including alloys, ABS, dual airbags and so on. Of course it will cost more but then at least there will be an option for those inclined to buy, unlike now.

Truly, I just do not understand why these fellows make cars with just one Driver Airbag and no ABS. Both ABS and Dual Front Airbags MUST be made mandatory in all new cars.
Old 5th September 2016, 19:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
How will you compensate for the increased diameter of cylinder after changing the bore?

by increasing the ring size; this change will still result in altering the bore vs stroke ratio (stroke remains same in pre and post scenario).
Normally upping the displacement, other things remaining constant, the CR increases.
CR = (Total volume)/ (Dead Volume) = (Dead Volume + Swept Volume)/ (Dead Volume)
= 1 + (Swept Volume)/ (Dead Volume)

Dead Volume is essentially volume in head, and obviously does not change. So swept volume increases => CR goes up.

Quote:
I am assuming that ECU programing will not be part of this change.
OK

Quote:
The result would be a slightly richer mix
Unable to follow your thinking. If you could please explain better.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 17:34   #38
BHPian

Wishing all success to Kwid. Though I am not a big fan of this car (but of the big brother, the Duster), i would like Renault to enjoy success. Hopefully they will bring in more models (like Megane) to India.
Old 8th September 2016, 01:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Great review, rating it 5 stars.

I still don't get why one has to open the windows to adjust their ORVMs
How much is the price going to go up by when internally adjustable ORVMs are designed and put as standard features?
Rationale is as follows….A-seg cars are usually owner driven at all times. Once the mirror is set to driver’s settings, there is really no reason to change it unless there is a driver switch

My ORVM has electric adjustment and not been touched in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
This is how Maruti is countering the Kwid.
Some evil marketing genius at work This is what the Maruti guys are circulating on WhatsApp and probably what they are teaching their Sales Advisors.
Haha…nice job. I’d like to see what customers are saying about the Alto itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
This is interesting, esp. considering the cost of a new mould. What is being done in the 0.8 Kwid now?
Why would these changes occur?
If I had to hazard a guess, its related to the internal structural reinforcements (IP beam etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
How will you compensate for the increased diameter of cylinder after changing the bore?

by increasing the ring size; this change will still result in altering the bore vs stroke ratio (stroke remains same in pre and post scenario).

I am assuming that ECU programing will not be part of this change. The result would be a slightly richer mix igniting at lower compression, which will give better performance, yet the economy will be compromised.

You will appreciate that after reboring the TDC of the piston will still be the same, whereas the increased diameter of cylinder will make available additional volume in the cylinder at TDC to fire up / burn fuel.

Cheers !
Don’t waste your time my friend. The engine has no reason to run richer

Can somebody report change in bore x stroke & CR?

Last edited by Mpower : 9th September 2016 at 00:35.
Mpower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 20:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Rationale is as follows….A-seg cars are usually owner driven at all times. Once the mirror is set to driver’s settings, there is really no reason to change it
What happens when you park on a narrow road and someone folds your mirror ? If it's raining on that particular day, adjusting mirrors is something your passenger wouldn't want to do.

I know that the above case is extreme It's is an unnecessary omission, especially considering how well the top spec trim is equipped.
Old 8th September 2016, 21:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I had to hazard a guess, its related to the internal structural reinforcements (IP beam etc)
Or maybe airbag related.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th September 2016, 00:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What happens when you park on a narrow road and someone folds your mirror ? If it's raining on that particular day, adjusting mirrors is something your passenger wouldn't want to do.

I know that the above case is extreme It's is an unnecessary omission, especially considering how well the top spec trim is equipped.
Are you refering to power-fold? Only hi-end cars have that

We are talking about mirror angle adjustment ....and sure there will always be that 0.1% customer that switches 3 drivers everyday thus necessitating internal adjustment with 3 memory settings ....but we're talking about the majority

Last edited by Mpower : 9th September 2016 at 19:49.
Old 9th September 2016, 10:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rationale is as follows….A-seg cars are usually owner driven at all times. Once the mirror is set to driver’s settings, there is really no reason to change it unless there is a driver switch

My ORVM has electric adjustment and not been touched in over a year
Quote:
We are talking about mirror angle adjustment ....and sure there will always be that 0.1% customer that switches 3 drivers everyday thus necessitating internal adjustment with 3 memory settings but we're talking about the majority
There would be many families in which more than 1 member drives the car. That percentage is surely more than 0.1% IMHO.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I answered my own question with a quick search. Does seem to be true!!
That video is somewhat alarming, wonder why that leakage issue cannot be solved after many visits to the service center. Seems like a real problem when the Service Center Manager indicates he has seen the problem in 3 other Kwids...why does the resolution have to be different each time? Has this been observed wider? In their own interest, Renault should come out with a clarification...or atleast resolve with the user and publish the resolution through the news channel?
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 17:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
That video is somewhat alarming, wonder why that leakage issue cannot be solved after many visits to the service center. Seems like a real problem when the Service Center Manager indicates he has seen the problem in 3 other Kwids...why does the resolution have to be different each time? Has this been observed wider? In their own interest, Renault should come out with a clarification...or atleast resolve with the user and publish the resolution through the news channel?
I did more searching and found issues of water leakage/logging on Duster and Lodgy also. So looks like a few vehicles do have this issue across the Renault range. I remember water leakage was reported even on the 4th Gen Honda City - URL

Looks like the Kwid is not alone - but yes Renault should resolve and rectify.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks