Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 13:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review

The first KOP meet.

We had a good time and expect to have more members joining too.

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-collage-20170611-12_57_28.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:46   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishwaryadeep View Post
I will get it checked at some service center here.
Something weird happened last week. I drove the car to work on Tuesday - everything was fine. Tuesday night when I left for home, I noticed the AC was not working. The compressor was getting switched on - Slight increase in engine noise, drop in power, light getting dimmed momentarily - all were indicating that the compressor was getting switched on. But no cooling at all.

Googled the symptoms. Saw a few posts from people claiming they have faced this in their Kwids as well, and AC might start working fine the next day. Unfortunately, this was not the case for me as it did not work the next day either.

Called up Renault Whitefield Service Center for appointment. They didn't have any appointment available for Saturday (10 June), but they agreed for walk in at 9 AM. Managed the whole week without AC.

On Saturday, reached on time. Huge rush at the service center. Still, SA was allocated in 10 mins. Explained the issues to him. He said he will get back to me by 3:00 PM, and the car, most likely, will be ready only by Monday. Issues to be checked:

1. AC not cooling at all
2. Car feels under-powered, low pick up
3. Some noise on braking - not squeaking noise. Something like one hears when tires skid on small pebbles
4. Had some minor under-body hits. So wanted to scan under-body

I wanted to be present there during diagnosis, but SA said no work would be done till around 3. I was not going to sit and wait there for 6 hours, so left the car and came back. SA said the braking noise in common in Kwids - can someone confirm please?

For the under-body, he said he could not put the car on lift and show under-body immediately. I assume huge rush could be the reason for it. Anyway, he agreed to check it himself and send me pictures if there was anything unusual down there.

Got a call from them around 4 PM that car was ready. Went to pick it up. Explanations:

1. AC problem: Rat entry in car. Led to some blockage somewhere. They cleaned it. Didn't really understand how rat entry caused it. But AC started working fine, so didn't question much.

2. Under-powered car: ECU reprogrammed. It feels slightly better now. Could be placebo effect too

3. Braking noise: As expected, they said it was common in all Kwids. Still, they cleaned brake pads and discs. I feel no change

4. Under-body: SA said everything was fine.

I'm happy with their turn-around-time. They managed to fix the major issue (AC) in time even for a walk-in request on a Saturday. But the SA was not very good with explanations. He couldn't really explain why AC stopped working. Just kept repeating "Rat Entry Saar" .

Anyway, AC is working fine now. And I'm happy.

Thanks!
AD
aishwaryadeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 12:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

The Rat entered and it did not chew up anything? Was it on fast? What are the charges imposed because of a certain rat intruding the car and rendering some parts useless.

If it's just a rat entry who created a blockage of some sort, is hard to believe, unless obviously the Rat is in such a phase of life where it has stopped eating, but making a comfy home environment.

The noise from the tires/brakes that you have observed, is not common in Kwids. Screeching sound is common and is prominent at the time of bumper to bumper travel.

With regards to the underbody, i have serious doubts if he has checked anything at all. Please get it to a ramp at washing center and inspect for any hits or scratch marks.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:33   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
The Rat entered and it did not chew up anything? Was it on fast? What are the charges imposed because of a certain rat intruding the car and rendering some parts useless.

...Please get it to a ramp at washing center and inspect for any hits or scratch marks.
Haha. That sounds like a fair explanation!

They didn't charge me anything. Said no parts were changed. The rat had just caused some blockage somewhere which they cleaned, and AC came back to life.

As I said earlier, I'm not too convinced with the explanation. But they didn't charge me anything and the issue was resolved - so I let it be at the moment. Will take it up more seriously if the issue resurfaces.

Let me monitor the brake noises for a while. Will visit SC again, this time on a weekday, if I find something unusual. SAs don't have much time to listen to you on weekends.

And yeah, I too doubt whether they checked the under-body. Will get it checked elsewhere.

Thanks!
AD
aishwaryadeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:23   #110
Senior - BHPian

One hour well spent in getting the rear speaker ports activated. Rear camera port could also be activated, but as I do not have any rear camera at home, Might be some other day.

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-1.jpg
Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-2.jpg
Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-3.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:50   #111
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Majumdarda, could you let us know more details on this software upgrade to activate the rear speaker ports. I have installed JBL round speaker's at the rear and currently it does not allow me to switch from front to rear (the Bal/fad only shows me Left and Right arrows and not front and back).
Also does this upgrade allow the rear camera to be added directly with the display on the head unit?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 18:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello Majumdarda, could you let us know more details on this software upgrade to activate the rear speaker ports. I have installed JBL round speaker's at the rear and currently it does not allow me to switch from front to rear (the Bal/fad only shows me Left and Right arrows and not front and back).
Also does this upgrade allow the rear camera to be added directly with the display on the head unit?
Same is the setup at my end, as the rear speakers just mimic the front. But from what I have understood from the YouTube videos, post this activation, one can directly connect the rear speakers to designated ports. Same goes with the Rear Camera as well. I have not activated the rear camera ports, but the steps are the same.

But I am not sure that will the JBLs be giving you excellent quality even if you connect to the rear speaker ports. This is because, my installer had told me that my GTO 949s needs Amplifiers for best sound reproduction. Needs to be tested though.

Process is quite simple and we have Youtube clearly depicting the steps.

Step 1:

Download the downgrade Medianav_705 to 603.zip
Unzip the same and copy the upgrade.lgu file to a formatted pendrive,
Plug to the MediaNav, allow to upgrade
Once it is completed, the device is downgraded to 6.0.3 version.

Step 2:

Download the Dboot_6.0.4_MN2.rar
The Dboot_1.5 This is just a small software running during start up to restart quickly under Wince. you can access your Windows CE when starting your MediaNav made a sliding your finger on the Renault logo from left to right.
Now you can access to WINCE platform ,

Step 3:

Download the dmicom_test_evo.exe
Copy this to a pendrive
While power-ON the Medianav, touch the RENAULT logo and move from left to right
WINCE will boot, Goto Device / MD , open the dmicom_test_evo.exe
MICOM menu will open,
GO to environment P1 Tap, change the setting as Fitted in Rear view camera and Rear speaker tab .
Write the ECU/Config option,
Goto Rear view camera tab, and change the guideline to X87
click the Enregister icon and save all configuration
Restart the MediaNav

Step 4:

Download the upgrade.lgu 7.0.5.zip
Once it is completed, the device is upgraded to the factory version 7.0.5.

Youtube links are as follows:-

Activate Rear Camera and Speakers :
Rear view camera and speaker installation :
Cable connection to the OEM monitor MediaNav to rear speaker in Renault Kwid :

I downloaded the softwares from the Russian sites
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 23:03   #113
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed steps Majumdarda. I read about these updates on some forum - don't remember which one - but the guy reverted back to the factory settings because his system was going slow and had a lot of lag. Are you facing any such issue?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 23:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

I also read the same but as the modification was performed today, would have to observe for any slowness etc.

Anyways this is just the first part. I now need to get the rear speaker cable set, and which seems to be out of stock. I will update the thread V12 with my observations.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 07:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Oh there is something pending under my name here. I completely forgot to update the status.

New JBL speakers have been connected to both front and rear. The front ones are a direct replacement (from stock to JBL). The Rear ones are my long time possessions from JBL which I could ultimately fit and enjoy. I have not connected any Amplifiers as they are not required for the speakers I have.

The only challenge with connecting the rear speakers was in procuring the proper connection pins as a neat finish is always preferred over a crude one.
Old 27th December 2018, 16:25   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Oh there is something pending under my name here. I completely forgot to update the status.

New JBL speakers have been connected to both front and rear. The front ones are a direct replacement (from stock to JBL). The Rear ones are my long time possessions from JBL which I could ultimately fit and enjoy. I have not connected any Amplifiers as they are not required for the speakers I have.

The only challenge with connecting the rear speakers was in procuring the proper connection pins as a neat finish is always preferred over a crude one.
Can you please share snaps for front speaker swap? Are they 4 inch? Also please share the model which you chose. I'm also planning for speaker upgrade front, preferably JBL GTO 4 inch ones.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 16:28. Reason: Minor spacing adjustment.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:47   #117
BHPian

I added rear speakers for kwid, edge (vibe) brand bought on amazon for 1750 inr. Decent speaker, good treble and mid and soft bass. Front are stock, will upgrade on need basis.
driveup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 17:05   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveup View Post
I added rear speakers for kwid, edge (vibe) brand bought on amazon for 1750 inr. Decent speaker, good treble and mid and soft bass. Front are stock, will upgrade on need basis.
Sorry dear, but I am still not able to get the images of the front speakers that I had fixed in my Kwid, but those are direct replacements from JBL. Whenever I will get the image, I will try posting the same here.

For the rear, I had enabled the option first and then connected the rear speakers for optimum hearing pleasure. Again those are from JBL. I guess the process of activation is already mentioned in the thread somewhere.

Just a few days back, I had happened to seat in my friend's Kwid (who was tempted after my road trip with Kwid) and observed that the rear camera is now factory fitted. So basically it means that the option has been enabled from the backend. So does it mean that the rear speaker options are also enabled? if that be the case, then one just needs to connect the wires behind the console to get the rear speakers connected.
Old 14th January 2019, 14:24   #119
BHPian

Me too enabled rear speaker and then installed. Mine is 2017 model, hence have no camera fitted.
Old 10th March 2019, 22:52   #120
BHPian

Delhi to Paris on 1.0L Renault Kwid

Hi guys,

I searched multiple times to get a hit on this, but surprisingly found no threads which talk about this (or may be i did not find one) !

Came across these videos (, ) of the travelogue done by Autocar India along with CEAT.

I am positive that it is not so effortless the way its portrayed in the video, but lets come to the part where they talk about the kwid's seamless pull over the slopes and first crank start on such hideous climatic conditions.

What are your thoughts on
1. Few of the drivers seem to be almost 6 feet in height. And it appears there was no modification done on the seats from its default. Are the stock seats that comfortable ?

2. Apart from the focus on tire change (because CEAT had sponsored a part in the trip clearly), there is no mentioning about the car maintenance at all. Not even a blip !

3. Not sure why the drivers had to be flown back half way. Any international drivers here who can help with possible reasons behind the decision ?

4. Final report was that the car did not face any unexpected maintenance like a puncture or some electro/mechanical problems - Whether Is it even honestly possible for such a entry level car to perform such a feat might it be staged ?

International drivers, Car experts, Kwid owners and X-owners, need your unbiased opinion on these please

Last edited by Tamarind : 10th March 2019 at 22:54. Reason: Removed double line breaks
Tamarind is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks