Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 14:34   #196
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
I have booked a Baleno RS a little while ago and apparently the car has been dispatched.

A conversation with a colleague regarding the introduction of BS VI fuel in Delhi and later all over India has led to some worries. Wondering if it is the right time to buy a vehicle.

There seem to be doubts about the effect of BS VI norm fuel on BS IV cars. I have not found much information but it seems diesel cars will be more affected. I am also wondering whether the boosterjet engine will be better equipped for the new fuel because it is there on European cars and European fuel standards will be more like BS VI. Am I right thinking on these lines? Or am I just consoling myself?
The engine in the RS has been detuned from the international version in order to cope with the low quality of fuel in India. So, with the BS VI fuel the engine will actually be getting the quality of fuel it was designed for. There is absolutely nothing to worry about and I would say it is a great time to get the car! For turbo petrol cars the quality of fuel does make a difference and the move to BS IV is a welcome move indeed.
ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 21:11   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked the parts catalogue of Baleno and found this information. Following parts are different in RS.

1. Front coil springs (should be stiffer)
2. Rear suspension beam
3. Front discs and pads (should be bigger, even Maruti has confirmed it during launch)

Front struts and rear shocks are same as Baleno 1.2. It should be easy to change front brakes and coil springs in normal Baleno for better dynamics .

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 21st December 2017 at 21:15.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 20:35   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I checked the parts catalogue of Baleno and found this information. Following parts are different in RS.

1. Front coil springs (should be stiffer)
2. Rear suspension beam
3. Front discs and pads (should be bigger, even Maruti has confirmed it during launch)
Do you have part numbers for these?
Old 6th January 2018, 20:58   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have part numbers for these?
Yes, I do

Front Coil Spring : 41111M68P40
Rear Suspension Beam : 46500M68P60

Few parts are different in front brake. I will post the full list of normal Baleno and RS.

Baleno RS
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img_20180106_205706.jpg
Baleno 1.2 / 1.3
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img_20180106_211318.jpg

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th January 2018 at 21:15.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 20:17   #200
BHPian

I find the brakes on my Baleno 'normal' variant not so good. What would be the approximate cost if I want to change the brakes of my normal Baleno to RS for all four wheels ?
Old 10th January 2018, 20:26   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I find the brakes on my Baleno 'normal' variant not so good. What would be the approximate cost if I want to change the brakes of my normal Baleno to RS for all four wheels ?
It can be done, but there are many parts to be changed. Upgrading the front discs and pads would be easier. I was discussing the same with D BHPian Leoshashi few days back. To accommodate rear discs, we have to change the rear suspension beam as well. I have noted down the part numbers, will check the price soon
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 23:00   #202
BHPian

I have been looking for a petrol car to replace my 2011 Toyota Liva GD.
Took delivery of the Baleno RS on 27th December from Magic Nexa, Gazipur, Delhi. Delivery was smooth and have driven around 800 kms since then, all in the city. Traffic in my city is much more dense and manic now compared to when I got Liva, my first car. Despite the tension of driving a new car in such traffic, I have been enjoying the quieter cabin, faster acceleration, and some new features. I am eager to get on the highway and hope it happens soon.

No, I was not looking out for a hot hatch. I was just looking for a spacious petrol car under 10 lakhs with good torque range and some additional features over and above Liva. Therefore I did not even think about 1.2 engines in the market. My shortlisted cars were Etios 1.5 and Honda BRV apart from the RS. In my test drives, felt most comfortable driving Baleno RS and finally settled for it.

Am not much of a photographer, don't even own a camera. So an ownership review seems daunting. But will keep my experience of owning this car, at least the significant points, updated here on this thread. Here is one photograph with my mobile, the morning after the delivery, the car parked at my workplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-imag0962-modified.jpg  

jhaji is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 11:31   #203
BHPian

Quote:
I have been looking for a petrol car to replace my 2011 Toyota Liva GD.
Took delivery of the Baleno RS on 27th December from Magic Nexa, Gazipur, Delhi. .
Congrats and your ride looks fab ! Is that the silver color? Do keep us posted on your driving experiences here.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 12:24   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Congrats and your ride looks fab ! Is that the silver color? Do keep us posted on your driving experiences here.
Thanks. It is what Maruti calls premium silver. I will write a mini ownership review on this thread. Looking at this thread, it would seem that Baleno RS owners prefer to remain in the shadows and rather low key. To put a positive twist on this, we can perhaps conclude that the initial ownership has been touble-free. Of course, we have a fabulous ownership review by Rog_AK.
Old 19th January 2018, 14:27   #205
BHPian

Initial ownership impressions of Baleno RS:

The Choice

In 2011, I learnt driving, joined Team-BHP, and bought my first car at the age of 50. I chose diesel over petrol as I wanted to go for long drives. Chose Toyota Liva over Ford Figo, as it seemed a simpler and more reliable car. I never regretted the choice I made then.

About a year back I made up my mind to buy a petrol car and started looking around. Wanted to find a car with a good torquy engine. Projector headlamps and cruise control were the desirable features apart from the requirement that 5 people can travel. My budget was 10 lakhs. Reliability and longevity was important as I am going to keep the car for a long time. So it didn't matter if I bought the car in December.

Etios 1.5 seemed like a good choice. I was waiting for Nexon, S-Cross petrol and Baleno RS to be launched. Honda BRV was also on my radar.

In October, I started taking test drives of RS, Etios and BRV along with my nephew who is my trusted car consultant. I dropped BRV because the back portion was bouncing on slightly bad roads, at least when not loaded fully. Etios and RS were both good, but I felt more comfortable driving RS. I could almost drive it like a diesel and also could rev it like a petrol. Took several test drives and took it to the Greater Noida expressway. Boosterjet seemed versatile and refined and things like Projector headlamps, UV cut glass, and good ride quality sealed it. I do have a knack for choosing unpopular cars. First Liva, and now this.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-imag0960.jpg

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-imag0963.jpg

I was sad to give up the assurance of Toyota ASS though. I was also unhappy not to find cruise control on any of these cars. Brazilian Etios as well as European Baleno have it, but not for us. Was briefly excited to see cruise control on facelifted Ecosport, but it turned out to be available only on AT top end. If only I could get S Cross 1.4 boosterjet with all-grip (if such a thing exists), I would have somehow stretched my budget to buy it.

Booking and buying

Booked twice and cancelled one booking.After a couple of test drives at Magic Nexa, Gazipur, asked them for a test drive on Greater Noida expressway, which they refused. So we went to Fair Deal Nexa at Noida and they obliged.

After the expressway drive, we booked the car with Fair Deal. Next day, looking at the booking related papers, found the price offered for my old car to be less than what had been verbally communicated. Immediately shot a mail to them. They responded nicely by saying they would honor the verbal offer. But then I was paying more as ex-showroom price if I booked in Noida with them even though the car would be registered in Delhi. Cancelled my booking and got refund in reasonable time.

Was wondering whether to postpone the purchase. Got a call from Magic Nexa and booked with them on 26th November. First week of December, they started telling me that I should deposit an advance of 1 lakh rupees. The logic was that if I don't take the car, nobody will buy a 2017 car in 2018. I told them they should have told me at the time of booking and I am not going to pay anything before PDI. Then they wanted a written undertaking that I will buy the car if no defects are found. I refused to give this. Then they told me they will get me a 2018 car in January, which was fine with me. Just as I was settling down with this, I got a call from them on 18th December that my car manufactured on 17th December is on its way. This turned out to be true as I checked on Form 22 later. Finally the car was delivered on 27th, with PDI done earlier. After having booked the car I took my family for a test drive and we had to do it in two installments. So the SA was surprised to see me alone for taking delivery. Everyone else was out of Delhi on holiday.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img20180106wa0003.jpg

The exprience so far

During the demo of the car, the SA had put some destination on navigation. Once I left the dealership after delivery the voice navigation started and it was a pain and I did not know how to stop it. Finally, I stopped the car somewhere and took a few minutes to shut up the voice. You see, I am not used to much electronics in my car. First few days I kept forgetting to fold the ORVMs back after stopping the car, since I am used to doing it with my hand when leaving the car after locking. Another day I thought the reverse parking sensors had stopped working since there was no indication on the mid when reversing. The camera was fine. Then I realised it becomes activated only when close to the obstruction, unlike the camera which is on as soon as you put the car in reverse gear.

But things are fine now, confusions are sorted out and everything seems to be working as it should. Infotainment system has to be explored further. Android Auto is pre-installed.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-imag0965.jpg

Some observations on driving experience are:

First gear is short. To pick up speed you have to shift to 2nd. I like it because you can climb ramps/inclines without revving the engine, at lower rpms. Main reason I would prefer RS over the NA Baleno.

When I took the foot off the throttle in Liva, it would shed speed much faster. Not so in Baleno RS, the car keeps going at good speed. I have had to brake late a couple of times. Liva was on stock brake pads when sold at 83K kms. I will have to use brakes more often now.

All round visibility is not as good as Liva, especially when crawling in tight traffic at slow speeds. At night, tinted glasses hamper the side vision slightly. Orvms are not very wide.

I am enjoying some features which were not there in Liva GD. Defogging, front as well as rear works well and is great. I used to be skeptical of keyless entry and start/stop, but I am enjoying it. I have been trying various seat and steering adjustment and still not found the perfect position. In fact, I had found it finally, but it got lost in the first service.

I am also enjoying the greater silence in the cabin and the refined and sporty nature of the engine. I like the muted thrum that you hear/feel even at low rpms. Gear shifts seem all right. Slotting into 1st occasionally is not smooth, sometimes also the 3rd. I find the seats firm enough, at least for now. But, then, I am a lightweight person.

Driving in Delhi, day in and day out, makes me into an aggressive driver. Aggression keeps building up till I go out on long highway trips. But I have not gone for a long trip for a long time. Now with the running in of the new car, I am again driving defensively on Delhi roads. I hope it continues this way. My daily drive of about 40 kms is perfect for running in the new car. There are stretches where I can go up to 70 kmph legally, and there is bumper to bumper traffic in other stretches. Mostly it is in between.

Mid shows average fuel consumption as 18.6. Tank full to tank full shows 16.75. This is with very little AC usage, about 10%, all in the city.

I am looking forward to highway drives and long trips.

1st Free service

I was less than impressed when I arrived at the service centre. It was towards the end of a street. And all the pre-service formalities were conducted on the road sitting inside your car. Then the car goes over a steep ramp directly into the hall with few lifting machines. The 1st service checkup was done there.

They let me hang around there and also answered my questions about the car. Then the car went for washing. I didn't go in there. Finally it came out and it was wiped and cleaned. A small paint touch up was done at my request for a small nick on a rear bumper corner. Lack of a service area where customers and SAs sit and do the formalites seemed odd at first. But the rest of the simple service seemed transparent and reasonably efficient. I don't know how good it would be for more complicated repairs. Toyota service centres inspired more confidence for those kind of jobs.

SA told me in the beginning that Rs.30 will be charged for the shampooing of the wiper blades and Rs. 10 for rubber door protectors. Then she said they will do teflon coating and underbody coating. I told her that the underbody coating is done and I don't want any other coating. She didn't persist. It took two and a half hours for the entire service. And the cost of service was Rs.40.

4 rubber door protectors for Rs. 10! They are not bad.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-imag0970.jpg
jhaji is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 14:48   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4 rubber door protectors for Rs. 10! They are not bad.
Beware!!

These protectors actually cause your paint to wear. Let me explain. With your front door shut, try to open the rear door. If the hinge side edge of the rear door rubs against the so called protector then throw it away immediately. It has damaged the paint in three of the Marutis we have owned so far. I am sure it will rub in Baleno too, as the panel gap is too tight in Baleno.

Hope I am clear.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 14:50   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Initial ownership impressions of Baleno RS:
Congratulations on the new car! Hopefully it will serve you as well as your Toyota did. Good to see another RS added to the feeble list on the forum
ROG_AK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 15:32   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Beware!!

These protectors actually cause your paint to wear.

Regards,
Shashi
Just went out and checked. You are right, the rear door edge rubs against the rubber protectors. Removing them.

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Congratulations on the new car! Hopefully it will serve you as well as your Toyota did. Good to see another RS added to the feeble list on the forum
Thanks ROG_AK. Your ownership review was reassuring when deciding on the car and will continue to follow it in future. You must be close to 10K service now and would like to know if you choose to go for the synthetic engine oil.

Thanks to your famous service episode, Maruti people become alert as soon as I mention Team-BHP. Have to order a fresh set of tbhp stickers too.
jhaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 16:02   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just went out and checked. You are right, the rear door edge rubs against the rubber protectors. Removing them.

Thanks a lot.
Welcome. The round part outside is rubber, but the part which holds the door has metal inside coated with hard rubber. After 5-10 times, the paint gets damaged.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 20:43   #210
Senior - BHPian

I finally managed to get a Test Drive of the Baleno RS. The Nexa showroom near my house (Fatorda) did not have a TD vehicle. I recently visited them for a Child Seat and they didn't have it too. So I visited the other Nexa showroom in Porvorim and while placing the order I casually asked if they have a TD vehicle. They gave me a TD in an un-stickered vehicle. Though it was not as much fun as the Polo GT, it was not that bad either. What I didn't like was the alloy pattern and colour and the chrome garnishes. Interior fit and finish is quite good and nowhere near to the old Maruti quality. Pricing is a shade over 10L in Goa and they are offering discounts of about 50K on the 2017 models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks