Team-BHP - Jeep Compass : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Jeep Compass : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/189786-jeep-compass-official-review-120.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ank.nsit (Post 4782719)
Just curious to know how did you get the resale value?

Check olx.in for Bangalore. It's full of Jeep Compass all variants starting from 2017. Most prices between 17 and 18 Lacs. A top of the line Limited Plus is also listed for 21L.

Additionally most of these are being sold by used car dealers, which means they would have purchased it from actual owners for even lesser.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782721)
Check olx.in for Bangalore. It's full of Jeep Compass all variants starting from 2017. Most prices between 17 and 18 Lacs. A top of the line Limited Plus is also listed for 21L.

Additionally most of these are being sold by used car dealers, which means they would have purchased it from actual owners for even lesser.

How do you call these prices to be poor resale?
Any example of a car costing ~20 lakhs and having higher resale than this? (Except the mighty innova).

The initial 3-4 years is the period when the cars takes maximum depreciation hit. Higher the price of the car higher the depreciation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ank.nsit (Post 4782767)
Any example of a car costing ~20 lakhs and having higher resale than this? (Except the mighty innova).

The initial 3-4 years is the period when the cars takes maximum depreciation hit. Higher the price of the car higher the depreciation.

In my opinion it is definitely poor resale, you may justify it by comparing it with other brands but that does not imply that the resale value is good. It simply means that the resale value is as bad as others. Expect the Toyota Innova as you rightly mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782710)
The top of the line Jeep Limited Plus 4x4 Diesel comes dangerously close to Tiguan and Kodiaq territory. Whatever said and done it is definitely overpriced for what it offers. It is strictly a 4 seater , the fifth person is a squeeze at best. Inner space is constrained and the ride quality at low speeds is nothing to write about.

The torque steer is awful too.

All that mumbo jumbo of well engineered, freq selective damping etc etc really don't cut it when it comes to someone investing so much.

These things don't matter and people look at the status and image at this price points rather than technical specs. Unless ofcourse it's an enthusiast whose buying.

Plus the pathetic resale coupled with the uncertainty of Jeep in India is enough of a dampner.

I don't see the sales charts lighting up anytime soon if Jeep does not rationalize the pricing.

Sir, As as I said earlier it is overpriced, but Tiguan the car you are comparing it is more overpriced if you weigh in all factors as you mentioned in your post. Is the ride quality of Tiguan better, does it have more powerful engine, is it better looking, is it more enjoyable to drive. These questions also need to be answered. The plus points it have is better second row interior space and slightly better quality interiors.

Regarding the image of brand I don't think V.W has a better brand image than Jeep. Skoda we all know is known as maker of low cost economical cars.
As far as resale value is concerned except Toyota and Maruti resale of all other brand is dismal. Rather as seen on Olx resale value of Compass is much better than V.W or Skoda cars. Even new Tiguans were sold at about 7-8 lakh discount. This is hit you take after selling 2 year old Compass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782789)
In my opinion it is definitely poor resale, you may justify it by comparing it with other brands but that does not imply that the resale value is good.

I am not justifying anything but trying to understand the reason behind your statement of "compass having poor resale".

Quote:

It simply means that the resale value is as bad as others. Expect the Toyota Innova as you rightly mentioned.
Oh ok, so essentially all the cars in ~20 lakhs range have a poor resale value except Innova.

This seems to be a correct statement. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782710)
The top of the line Jeep Limited Plus 4x4 Diesel comes dangerously close to Tiguan and Kodiaq territory. Whatever said and done it is definitely overpriced for what it offers. It is strictly a 4 seater , the fifth person is a squeeze at best. Inner space is constrained and the ride quality at low speeds is nothing to write about. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ank.nsit (Post 4782719)
Just curious to know how did you get the resale value?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ank.nsit (Post 4782767)

Believe me, resale is a brutal indicator of a cars worth

It takes account of

Reliability - look at euro cars
Maintenance costs and parts availability
Desirability - Not many want a Yeti despite it being a really good car
Brand - that one is big! - You can get grand Vitaras and Kizashis for peanuts
Supply - the biggest equaliser
Market liquidity - the biggest deal maker or breaker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandeep500 (Post 4782797)

Regarding the image of brand I don't think V.W has a better brand image than Jeep. Skoda we all know is known as maker of low cost economical cars.
As far as resale value is concerned except Toyota and Maruti resale of all other brand is dismal. Rather as seen on Olx resale value of Compass is much better than V.W or Skoda cars. Even new Tiguans were sold at about 7-8 lakh discount. This is hit you take after selling 2 year old Compass.

I think that there is absolutely no doubt that VW has a much better image than Jeep. And Skoda might have been known as a maker of cheap and economical cars, but it is now giving VW a run for its money, both here in India as well as abroad. And if you think that the Octavia, the Superb or the Kodiaq are cheap cars, well, out definition of cheap differs drastically.

Yes the Jeep Compass has two redeeming factors in its favour. One is more powerful engine 171 BHP vs 141, and second is the availability of a manual gearbox. Other than that there's no reason, IMO to get a compass over a Tiguan, provided that one gets the 7-ish lakh discounts that you've spoken of. (Tiguan Highline is 35 lakhs (-7 lakhs discount) = 28 lakhs. The Jeep Compass limited plus 4x4 AT costs 26-ish) Thats a 2 lakh that anyone should definitely extend for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782721)

The depreciation on the Jeep Compass is way less than I expected. A three year old car over 20 lakhs typically loses 40-50% of the value in 3 years. It is almost exactly 3 years since the Compass launched and the best selling variant was the 4x2 Limited an Limited (Option) priced from 18-18.5 lakhs at launch, translating to approximately 22-22.5 lakhs on road. I would expect these cars to be available in the used car market at around 11-13 lakhs now. However, I cannot find any listing below 15.5 - 16 lakhs, and lower mileage examples are listing over 18 lakhs.This is surprisingly low depreciation, considering a relatively new Brand with a limited service network, niggles reported initially and relatively expensive parts and maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon (Post 4782897)
The depreciation on the Jeep Compass is way less than I expected. A three year old car over 20 lakhs typically loses 40-50% of the value in 3 years. It is almost exactly 3 years since the Compass launched and the best selling variant was the 4x2 Limited an Limited (Option) priced from 18-18.5 lakhs at launch, translating to approximately 22-22.5 lakhs on road. I would expect these cars to be available in the used car market at around 11-13 lakhs now. However, I cannot find any listing below 15.5 - 16 lakhs, and lower mileage examples are listing over 18 lakhs.This is surprisingly low depreciation, considering a relatively new Brand with a limited service network, niggles reported initially and relatively expensive parts and maintenance.

Listings are always way above actual price. True picture is when you go to sell. These are mostly listed by dealers who would have purchased at a much lower price from actual owners.

This also explains quite a long list of cars that are available. For a vehicle that is not a volume mover the number is quite considerable. Wonder why so many are being sold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveler (Post 4782906)
xplains quite a long list of cars that are available. For a vehicle that is not a volume mover the number is quite considerable. Wonder why so many are being sold.

As a keen buyer and observer of use cars, totally agree. You'll notice few points

1. Number of used compass for sale are quite high with respect to the units sold.
2. Odo readings of the used cars are low.
3. They are got selling fast.

What is the maximum FE figure that anyone has got (realistic, of course) from a diesel MT Compass on open highways here?

Also, is it anyway going to be significantly different with a BS6 diesel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar (Post 4783096)
What is the maximum FE figure that anyone has got (realistic, of course) from a diesel MT Compass on open highways here?

You can check my below post for the FE numbers that I have got so far,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4782606

A recent report published by autoputditz.com puts FCA’s capacity utilisation at 8%. I wonder how they are going to survive in the near future. As a proud owner of Jeep Compass at times I feel scared thinking they might wind up their shop in India.

https://www.autopunditz.com/news/car...k-of-the-oems/

Quote:

Originally Posted by hs_maverick (Post 4783170)
A recent report published by autoputditz.com puts FCA’s capacity utilisation at 8%. I wonder how they are going to survive in the near future. As a proud owner of Jeep Compass at times I feel scared thinking they might wind up their shop

A lost opportunity for FCA in India! Who could advise them?

They could have continued with their Fiat portfolio alongside Jeep as an additional bringer of buyers to their dealerships. All that they should have done was to rejig the Fiat models. They could have introduced one of those proper crossovers (not just that Aventura/Punto with claddings), and they could have introduced that 1.6 Multijet diesel in the Linea (at least as an option and for the brand value) when Maruti-Suzuki began to import the same for S Cross. It would not have sold in great numbers but would have kept the brand alive even with old cars (at least as VW does). In short, FCA could have innovated on their sale and portfolio strategy, when Compass began to bring a lot of customers to the Fiat showrooms which were otherwise quite deserted. But, at that time, they did the exact opposite! They were all happy with selling the national engine to others. Now that is history, there naturally should be severe under utilization of capacity. FCA still doesn't seem to be anxious. It is all those who were their genuine customers who are anxious. No other brand seems to have had such a loyal bunch of customers despite the brand's lukewarm approach here in India.

It was a lost opportunity for FCA.

And, Jeep Compass, as many would say, is overpriced. Might still bring less number of buyers in the future. We have to wait and watch once the VW/Skoda crossovers are here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hs_maverick (Post 4783170)
A recent report published by autoputditz.com puts FCA’s capacity utilisation at 8%. I wonder how they are going to survive in the near future. As a proud owner of Jeep Compass at times I feel scared thinking they might wind up their shop in India.

https://www.autopunditz.com/news/car...k-of-the-oems/

This report ignores the fact that the Nexon is built in the same plant as the Compass. Considering 5000 vehicles together per month, they should be around 38% capacity utilization which is where most OEM's are.