Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 01:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Well, it seems to be hunting for the right gear, during which time it feels as if the clutch(s) both are active briefly and there is no power to the wheels for a second or two. Quick firm press on the throttle seems to sort it out. There's no judder at all.

I must say that I've not noticed this at all for quite a while, so I am assuming that muscle memory has accommodated and adjusts automatically.
Yeah I agree, it's akin to CVTs that you need to feather the throttle and understand the right amount. Mine feels jerky to me at 0-10 speeds. I will drive a friends car to see if they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
They say your legs have memory too . After some time, you will automatically know the amount of pedal you need to press to overcome any unresponsiveness you perceive at slow speed. There is no denying that under 20kmph, the way car moves is like a pregnant elephant.. But as a driver we know that the storm is about to come after 2000 rpm. And suddenly this elephant transforms into 160 horses ready to move

In a nutshell, yes there is a difference in the way you will feel te car moves below 20kmph and above that. I do not feel any change in the way gas pedal behaves after 50kmph.

No, I have not felt any rubber effect while moving the gear lever.
Thank you for responding, I am ok with it being slow to respond at lower speeds. Just that jerky motion has been concerning and since mine is the only Petrol auto I've driven, i'll need to see whats going on. At highway speeds it's pretty sprightly. Feel much stronger response from throttle which I noticed. I will compare it to a friends gear shifter and see if I feel differently.

Any other common things to know for the petrol? Been looking at getting bulbs for turn, brake light etc changed to LED post HID upgrade. Other than that maybe some sound damping, I can hear some vibration/buzzing sometimes from front left at times.
Old 8th July 2020, 10:06   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
...Other than that maybe some sound damping, I can hear some vibration/buzzing sometimes from front left at times.
This is a feature of many Jeep Compasses
Fusion2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 15:09   #108
BHPian

Just posting the 4th service (45k KM) bill for my Jeep petrol automatic incase anyone wants to see and compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20200711_145904.jpg  

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20200711_145946.jpg  

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-20200711_150024.jpg  

rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 11:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

So I ended up taking car to the service centre and the guy showed me other compass petrol automatic. All of them have the same vague rubbery feel when slotting out from P to any other gear. Worst is when you go to reverse.

Also the judder is because the car is in first gear and it becomes fine as soon as it slots into 2nd. Their mechanic showed me this during the road test. Rest I was surprised they did not have wipers in stock and advised e to get from outside.

I’ve been getting consistent 8.8-9.5 in Gurgaon so happy with mileage. I have also upgraded to Morimoto HID on the headlights and couldn’t be happier. Now hunting for led lamps to replace all the bulbs in the car. Having hard time finding Canbus error free ones locally. Also plan to wrap the roof black soon.
Old 26th July 2020, 14:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Question for Petrol AT owners.

1. Is the car jumpy or jarring while doing super slow speeds like 10-15km/h?
2. The accelerator responsiveness feels different at speeds >50km/h
3. The gear shifter doesn’t slot properly in my opinion. The P & R positions feel bad to slot around in and too rubbery feeling instead of crisp clicks. I’m not sure I’m getting the point across well. Most automatic’s have a crisp notch feeling when moving between PRND, this feels vague.
4. Any recommended fixes updates to common issues that exist?
One thing i have seen in my Compass petrol automatic is that if i shift fast from P or N to D, it becomes a false shift...the D light starts starts blinking, and vehicle is stuck in original gear (P or N). I then need to shift back to P or N and move the lever a bit slowly to D to get the car moving. Over time, i now know the speed in which the gearbox allows the shifts.

Do any of you observe that?
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 01:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
So I ended up taking car to the service centre and the guy showed me other compass petrol automatic. All of them have the same vague rubbery feel when slotting out from P to any other gear. Worst is when you go to reverse.

Also the judder is because the car is in first gear and it becomes fine as soon as it slots into 2nd. Their mechanic showed me this during the road test. Rest I was surprised they did not have wipers in stock and advised e to get from outside.

I’ve been getting consistent 8.8-9.5 in Gurgaon so happy with mileage. I have also upgraded to Morimoto HID on the headlights and couldn’t be happier. Now hunting for led lamps to replace all the bulbs in the car. Having hard time finding Canbus error free ones locally. Also plan to wrap the roof black soon.
Let me know what you got when you make that wiper purchase. I need to buy some too as the original one does not wipe cleanly anymore (wasnt great when new either) and its really hard to see clearly when its raining and the car from the other side is on high beam.

On a side note, I tried doing a city drive with the lightest foot possible and here are the results for Compass Petrol!

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-img_20191205_132952.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
One thing i have seen in my Compass petrol automatic is that if i shift fast from P or N to D, it becomes a false shift...the D light starts starts blinking, and vehicle is stuck in original gear (P or N). I then need to shift back to P or N and move the lever a bit slowly to D to get the car moving. Over time, i now know the speed in which the gearbox allows the shifts.

In the last 2 and a half year it only happened once to me and never reoccurred despite doing quick shifts. I was in a bad traffic at that time so I could not put my brain in diagnosing but it could very well be a very fast P-N-D shift. I will check and update!
shishir333 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 03:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not specifically this, but when I shift out of P to R it's vague and doesn't 'slot' in properly. When shifting from P to N or D it is usually better and you can feel it notching in place. The shift unlock button and moving it out of P is a very sad experience, thankfully you only have to do it once when you start the car. I will try shifting quickly to see if I observe the same behaviour as you did.

I am wondering if we can get paddle shifts for this? Not sure if the versions abroad had those, if yes I am sure we can retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
Let me know what you got when you make that wiper purchase. I need to buy some too as the original one does not wipe cleanly anymore (wasnt great when new either) and its really hard to see clearly when its raining and the car from the other side is on high beam.
Service centre had quoted 2200 per wiper, I got hella wipers locally for 1200 whole set and they are much better than OEM. They have that proper covering on them so it doesn't look ugly/cheap. And I'm sure its much more aerodynamic resulting in less wind noise. Had tested it out with good showers on same day will recommend. I got them from local car accessories dealer in Gurgaon.

That's some fab milage figure, I am quite sure on highways this monster will sip fuel and will be much more efficient thanks to the overdrive ratios. I won't be surprised to see 12-13 milage with 'normal' driving on long trips. Will definitely try granny approach and see if I can get something close to yours. But for now to be honest I'm happy with the milage, we had thought a figure of 8 in mind when we purchased. Got an extra km/l so won't complain.
quickdraw is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 09:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
On a side note, I tried doing a city drive with the lightest foot possible and here are the results for Compass Petrol!
I have no experience with this engine on a Compass. Having driven a car with an identical engine (Fiat Linea T Jet), I could barely get over 10Kmpl in the city cycle. It was possible to scrape the 17kmpl mark on a highway cycle so those MID numbers are hard to digest. I trust the figures only on a tankful to tankful method.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
... I won't be surprised to see 12-13 milage with 'normal' driving on long trips. Will definitely try granny approach and see if I can get something close to yours. But for now to be honest I'm happy with the milage, we had thought a figure of 8 in mind when we purchased. Got an extra km/l so won't complain.
13 is easy on longer highway runs, if not more.

I average about 10.5 commuting daily between GG and CP. Of course, this was pre-COVID days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have no experience with this engine on a Compass. Having driven a car with an identical engine (Fiat Linea T Jet), I could barely get over 10Kmpl in the city cycle. It was possible to scrape the 17kmpl mark on a highway cycle so those MID numbers are hard to digest. I trust the figures only on a tankful to tankful method.
In my experience on average the Jeep Compass MID numbers are close enough to the tankful to tankful method that the difference doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 27th July 2020 at 09:39. Reason: Added a quote
Fusion2006 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 13:09   #115
BHPian

I finally purchased the Jeep Compass Petrol AT - Longitude Plus (Minimal Grey) on 3rd August 2020.
I've been driving it almost every day since then, either for work or for "essential travel" and here are my first impressions:
a. The lag which has been widely reported and talked about, is felt only at times when one wants to suddenly pick up speed after a sudden stop / slowdown. Eg. at speed breakers, when one wants to immediately get a driving spurt. However, after a couple of weeks of driving, one adapts to the car and I've kind of figured out the best acceleration input to get the car to move smoothly. Besides, these situations are really few & far between, and as adaptive driving sets in, the lag ceases to be a factor. At traffic signals too, I've been reasonably happy with the pickup , and it catches up with the hatchbacks within no time at all.

b. Fuel economy : Going into the purchase with really low expectations, city bumper-2-bumper FE of 9 and highway ( Mumbai's highways , mind you) FE of 14-15 ( highest I've got on the EEH is 14.9) is more than I had hoped for. So its actually a net positive on this factor.

c. Driving pleasure. Wow. The car comes into its own after 40kmph . It purrs along with linear acceleration and my drives on the WEH and EEH are immensely enjoyable. The car is quite agile for its size and weight, and I've done numerous in-out zig-zags (within the bounds of safety), with no complaint from the car. With reference to the large turning radius, on the very second day of taking delivery, I had to execute a U-turn on one of Mumbai's narrowest lanes, and although I was full of apprehension, I got it done quite easily. The reverse camera quality could've been of a better quality, but it gets the job done without much hassle.
d. Why Longitude Plus: I've always tried to stay away from sunroofs. I consider them to be quite useless in the geographical zone that I will be driving in. And some close friends / car experts were quite strong in their recommendations to avoid sunroofs. The only reason I would consider the Limited Plus, are the beautiful alloys (the Longitude Plus has very plain looking wheels , and I even inquired about the possibility of upgrading only the wheels) and the (slightly) larger console. Otherwise, feature for feature , the Longitude Plus has fitted into my requirements perfectly.
e. Back seat comfort is much better than the other cars we had considered ( Seltos and Creta). The weight and heavier build gives the car a very planted feel and drives over Mumbai's currently potholed roads do not feel jarring at all.

Net net, putting aside the usual worries about the future of the FCA group and the FE, I'm quite happy with my purchase. I'm itching to take the car on a long drive to a weekend getaway (I can't wait to see how it manages the ghats enroute to my favourite weekend destination - Panchgani).

In fact, two of my friends, after sitting in the car and seeing the performance in person, have now DECIDED to go in for the Compass. My SA is now super-grateful to me for their references.

Cheers.
Amkam.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-teambhpjeep.jpg  

AMKAM is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 06:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

I am contemplating an upgrade to my City and was looking at the Compass. While I didnt enjoy the drive of the DDCT to be honest( mentioned in my post under What car) I do acknowledge the build quality and robustness of the Compass as such. What is interesting that I havent seen many reports of DDCT issues in the Compass as compared to Kia or VW( even those have quietened a bit). So , does the somewhat lazy mechanism make the transmission a bit more reliable as a tradeoff ?
Old 19th September 2020, 07:51   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKAM View Post
I finally purchased the Jeep Compass Petrol AT - Longitude Plus (Minimal Grey) on 3rd August 2020.
I've been driving it almost every day since then, either for work or for "essential travel" and here are my first impressions:

@Amkam: One of the most apt reviews of Compass Petrol AT. Once you get used to the DDCT it is a pure rocket to drive.

Every drive ends with big smile .
Enjoy the Compass.

I decided against upgrading to the Limited plus alloys as it affects the ride quality considering the road conditions.

Last edited by ampere : 19th September 2020 at 08:26. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
nimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 09:26   #118

Finally got my hands on the wheel

Big Thank you to all the fellow members, its been an absolute pleasure owning the Jeep
Reading through all comments and posts in the forum helped me choose JC over the others, and i can confidently say, absolutely no regrets.

As few of you already mentioned, once you know how to tame the beast, then the ride settles in and we get soaked into the comfort and quality.

Moving from XUV500-->JC, the same Whitefield Bangalore roads i used to commute, now all those speed breakers and pot holes just gets absorbed.

Looking for few recommendations from fellow members:

1. Sun shades for JC, prefer magnetic ones.
2. Ceramic coating
3. TPMS
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-1.jpeg  

Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review-2.jpeg  

Gemini83BLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:14   #119

Dear Friends,

Could someone help me with the process for escalating a complaint about Jeep service to FCA directly?

Regards
Old 13th November 2020, 21:21   #120
BHPian

Quote:

UPDATE- This above problem seems to have been sorted after recent service. I was also half pressing the shift button while shifting sometimes, and that was also causing the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks