Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2018, 12:12   #106
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Captur : Official Review

Point to be noted is the unsatisfactory after sales and high pricing of spares in the mean time which people with 2-3 years of ownership experienced after the initial Duster craze settled down.

People didn't even notice the difference in engines with the old and new gen Duster since they were busy marketing the Kwid. Failure of the Lodgy was partly due to its appearance and also due to higher cost of spares.

Poor redressal of injector failure issue, failing shock absorbers, faulty AC diverting knob, left pulling issue, uneven tyre wear, exorbitant accident repair leading to black flagging by insurance companies, dated interiors and features etc. which made customers loose faith in the brand. Who would go down that lane again? Maybe that is why they were hiding the fact that the Captur is a Duster underneath.
Tgo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 18:04   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post

With the Captur the Renault folks under-estimated the Indian auto enthusiasts by portraying it as the European Captur. They didn't have the guts to say that it is based on the more than decade old platform. That's where they lost it. Also the interiors weren't much better when compared to the duster. If you are paying 15 lakhs you expect good interiors, period!
Renault is selling same Duster based Captur in mass markets like Russia & Brazil! They are doing well there.

About interior, they are using same design philosophy for all European cars, including Kadjar.

But they should have provided a better touch screen system with Apple carplay & Android auto.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/n...ar/design.html

Last edited by anilntny : 24th September 2018 at 18:06.
Old 24th September 2018, 18:15   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
Renault is selling same Duster based Captur in mass markets like Russia & Brazil! They are doing well there.
I am very well aware of that but when the Captur was launched in India Renault shared the European Captur's characteristics and the awards that it has won there. There was a thread on that as well. Please check it.

Quote:
About interior, they are using same design philosophy for all European cars, including Kadjar.

But they should have provided a better touch screen system with Apple carplay & Android auto.

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/n...ar/design.html
The design philosophy is the same but the quality was more like Duster rather than the European Captur. Lets not even talk about the touchscreen.
Old 24th September 2018, 18:20   #109
Senior - BHPian

I’ve been seeing a couple of new Capturs in town. I guess the deep discounts must be doing the trick. Pity there is no auto transmission option offered.

Last edited by wilful : 24th September 2018 at 18:23.
Old 30th September 2018, 20:18   #110

I wanted to mention one important point for those interested that Renault is offering extended warranty coverage of 5 years (or 100k kms) for the Captur, which could provide hastle-free ownership experience.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:29   #111
BHPian

Renault Captur had some turbo lag especially in 2nd gear. Now Renault is providing a software update to fix it. I had to take my car to service center, the whole process took just few minutes only.

The turbo lag is gone and car in now more fun to drive.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 19:00   #112
BHPian

Saw quite a lot of Instagram influencers being provided Renault captur so that they can post about the vehicle, so called new age marketing. But have to say they are flexing their muscles like anything in order to sell captur.

Besides that, Renault India has introduced a 'Radiant Red' colour option for the Captur.
link
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 08:06   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Saw quite a lot of Instagram influencers being provided Renault captur
"Deals" were also made for the Captur to win comparison tests in magazines as well as positive "long term reviews".

The customer is smarter. The Captur is like a 75 year old patient with multiple organ failure. Nothing is going to revive it.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 09:40   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"Deals" were also made for the Captur to win comparison tests in magazines as well as positive "long term reviews".

The customer is smarter. The Captur is like a 75 year old patient with multiple organ failure. Nothing is going to revive it.
Being a Captur owner, these harsh words really troubles me.

I had a Duster before. It was a rattle machine, compared to that Captur has much better fit and finish. Still, every one at Team-Bhp hates my car. So saddening.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had a Duster before. It was a rattle machine, compared to that Captur has much better fit and finish. Still, every one at Team-Bhp hates my car. So saddening.
No one here is hating your car anilntny, so don't be disheartened . Everyone has his own opinion and they are just expressing that. Better learn to ignore naysayers. If you are satisfied with your Captur, it is giving you trouble free service and you are getting good after sales support then don't give a damn to what the world says. Just enjoy your car.

Its just that Captur has very little chances of survival in this very tough segment. Renault's premium pricing, not so butch looks, sparse service network beyond non-metro (or Tier-I, II cities) all these factors have gone against the Captur and it could not capture the expected market.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 12:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"
Quote:

Why not Captur? That is the question I have, now that my sister's family is about to book the Diesel Platine variant. They have been quoted around 15.40 on the road after various discounts.

They have been looking to replace their 10-year old SX4 and they had set their sights on Innova Crysta, but that is stretching their finances. They like to tour and the car has to do city duties as well. My nephew loves driving though the car will mostly be chauffeur driven in the city.

Apart from the obvious resale disadvantage, I was unable to find any major issues with the car. We took a long test drive (about 30 kms) yesterday. The route included a long expressway stretch in addition to crowded city streets and some very bad under-construction roads. I could not find any fault during our drives apart from a slight turbo lag in 2nd gear which is easy to work around. In fact the suspension was excellent and bad roads are handled very well, it is smooth and peppy on the expressway, NVH well-controlled. Feature-wise it is rich. Full LED headlamps are excellent for night-drives, cruise control and ESP are present. Android auto is not a big miss for us. Handling also seems pretty okay. We don't much care for the SUV looks and like the colour options available. Five people can sit in reasonable comfort.

So, what is the big negative which should dissuade us from buying this car at this price-point? It would be good to hear from Bhp-ians before we book.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th December 2018 at 11:37. Reason: Spacing
Old 15th October 2018, 13:13   #117
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing to worry about buddy. I don't hate Captur, I think it's a very good package over the ergonomically messed up Duster.
Those who wanted a better version of Duster, can opt for Captur.
Point is even the demand for Duster has dried up, competition is getting more intense in this category and the pricing of Captur has somewhat spoiled the game.
I think it should pick up some pace going forward but will take it's own sweet time.
Old 16th October 2018, 13:15   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Why not Captur?
Hey, just to clarify, I meant the Captur's sales will never rebound when I was speaking of the patient on life support.

Quote:
Apart from the obvious resale disadvantage, I was unable to find any major issues with the car.
If you like it, buy it . All of us have our own individual preferences. 99% of this forum wouldn't want to own a 22-year old Jeep, but I do and love driving it too.

Quote:
So, what is the big negative which should dissuade us from buying this car at this price-point?
Dislikes are in the opening post of this review!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:38   #119
BANNED

Quote:

Hate is not the right word in this context, but it is more of a 'not my taste'. You would always come across extremely negative and extremely positive reviews for the same film, food etc. I like Duster for the looks and definitely the ride quality. I have not driven/traveled in a Captur, but the looks are good for SUV standards (considering the Compact SUV's in the market). But at the same time no matter how many people in team-bhp are praising the looks of TUV300 and new dZire/Swift, I would always keep the side of 'not my taste'. I am not able to find the above mentioned cars attractive, but I always drool over the looks of Punto (old one), Honda City (1st and 3rd gen) and Polo.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:11   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
...They like to tour...
Commenting on this specific bit.

If your family is buying a tourer they intend to spend lots of time in, please take a LONG test drive (not sure if Captur is available on any self-drive rental platforms) to evaluate the ergonomics.

All these things are subjective, but the little things one puts up with on short rides - steering position, lumbar support, back seat recline angles, armrests, cabin space mgmt. - start to become obvious flaws after a couple hours.

For a tourer, ergonomics and comfort should take precedence over cosmetic features. No good having a world-class sound system if you're uncomfortable in your seat.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th October 2018 at 14:13.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed