Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2021, 13:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Was randomly surfing on youtube and saw Autocar's Octavia Review video in my recommendations.

Without watching it, directly jumped to Team-Bhp.

And boy-o-boy, can never go wrong choosing Team-Bhp over any review on youtube. The amount of details in every single review is mind boggling

Thanks a lot for such an in-depth review of my crush
Rambo-RS is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:06   #17
BHPian

If you look at those alloys closely, they sort of resemble the letter 'S' (as in SKODA) written in a stylish font (easter egg).
Also, in the Autocar official review, they said Skoda might bring the 1.5L TSI engine next year. But they didn't mention anything about a diesel engine. So, I guess VAG have dropped diesel for good.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th June 2021 at 21:22. Reason: Formatting for better readability
Sentinel17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good detailed review as always!

Looks like it retains all the traditional Octavia qualities that we have come to expect from the Octavia. However what is not cool seems to be the prices that have been steadily inching above with every succeeding generation. Not really disappointed with the exclusion of a sun roof but definitely not happy about the lack of ventilated seats. In our climate which is getting hotter by the day this is a definite miss.

30 lakhs ex-showroom for the Octavia is positively too expensive in my book. It's close to a junior Beemer at that price. I'll be more interested in a 1.5 litre manual Octavia at the 20 lakh price point.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 9th June 2021 at 14:12.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review! Rating it a well deserved 5-stars.

I see the grille receiving a lot of flak, but personally, those alloy wheels seem to be more of an issue to me. They won't look out of place on a Korean or a Japanese sedan, but on an executive saloon like the Octavia, they are too radical for my conservative tastes.

Coming to the absence of a 2.0 TDI, I still genuinely hope it makes a comeback. A reliable source tells me VAG is considering a re-entry for the TDI (2.0 only) by 2023, but plans might change based on market demand. VW has also globally announced that the next generation A4 will not be getting a 2.0 TDI at all, so I have my doubts whether India will. TDIs have usually proved to be more reliable and obviously more fuel efficient than their petrol counterparts. Secondly, the entry of turbo-petrols has bridged the price gap between diesels and petrols to a great extent, so pricing should not really be an issue.

I genuinely hope this Octavia is reliable enough as compared to the previous generation and VAG has worked on the wonky thermostat on the TSI series engines and some of the interior trim parts (such as the scrollers on the steering, AC vents and the likes) are built better on this Octavia.

Wishing this generation of the Octavia success as well. I don't expect it to do more than 200-250 (tops) per month, but it's the messiah for us sedan lovers if I could put it that way. The Corolla Altis is dead, the Jetta/Fluence and the likes are long gone and the Elantra is also going to meet the same fate as the Civic IMO. The Octavia is the only D1-segment sedan that is a formidable option IMO.
vishy76 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:30   #20
BHPian

Excellent review of an important car! This Octavia is a looker in & out but sunroof would have added even more to that luxury barge feeling inside the cabin and will be missed by few, specially the L&K variant owners.

Octavia is the key to keeping any hopes of D1 segment alive. Although, pricing will come in its way for sure. The pricing of Octavia is crucial for the entire segment. With the expected price of over 25 lakh ex-showroom for the style variant, Skoda might have just killed the segment which relies only on Octavia and Elantra.
ShivWason17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel17 View Post
But they didn't mention anything about diesel engine.So I guess VAG have dropped the diesel for good
In this image from official review:

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-screenshot_20210609142530_chrome.jpg

I see provision for another inlet, which looks very similar to AdBlue inlets in diesel cars. Is this hinting towards future possibility of a diesel engine in Octavia?

Or is this because they might have a diesel powertrain option in European market (common part in CKD unit)?

Or is this something entirely different that I'm unaware about? Thoughts?
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 14:34   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great review, dudes! Thanks a ton for sharing. Am really looking forward to my Octavia test-drive that's happening very shortly. Really missed out on this media drive due to unavoidable circumstances.

Based on your review, this is easily a car I would buy over the C-Class & A4. Now, that's punching above its weight and how. However, if I could stretch the budget, the 330i is in a different league altogether. Just the fact that the Octavia is even being compared to these cars says a lot.

The Elantra doesn't even seem to be a direct competitor anymore. The Octavia blows it away.

Love the engine + gearbox (my brother's Superb has the same combination) and all the little touches. Really shows the detail-oriented nature of the Skoda team. Now, if only the company would take care of its reliability issues, maintenance horrors & thug dealers, it would be something.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review of a great car! Rated 5-star.

This is a lovely car for sure. Octavia was always a nice driver's car, and this car is no different. The DQ381 gearbox is a welcome change over the infamous DQ200, and will eliminate the major worry for potential Octavia buyers. 2.0 TSi and DQ381 is a great combination!

600 liter boot space is amazing too, and a major attraction for someone like me who is stuck with terrible boot space in his current ride :-)

However, having said that the car looks great and has all the right specifications, a few things are odd for sure. The two-spoke steering looks weird to me, and even worse is that "drive mode selector" instead of the traditional gear level. The cabin certainly looks a bit dull due to these things. Does not look like a cockpit of a sporty driver's cars. This design suits more for a chauffeur driven luxury saloon than a driver's car. The alloy wheel design is certainly the worst I have seen on any Skoda. I always thought Skoda has nice alloys, but not this one.

But apart from these few small oddities, the car looks like a fantastic car!
Dr.AD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
12. Style gets R16 almost full size spare tyre. (L&K has a space saver tyre since it houses the subwoofer in boot)
Small correction: Both the variants get the same 17" alloy size. The only difference is in the design.

Other exclusive features for the L&K trim are:

1) Aluminum Pedals

2) Metal front door sills

3) Multiple-net storage solutions in the boot

4) Non-LED front turn-indicators

5) The lower variant (Style) gets a single horizontal LED stripe for the DRLs.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th June 2021 at 22:39. Reason: fixing quote tags
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Fantastic Review as always! Even though the new Octavia misses out on few key features, it seems rather lovely overall. 😍
Old 9th June 2021, 15:41   #26
BHPian

Great review as always. Rated 5 stars! I'd like to add few points in the review:

1) The front LED fog lights double up as cornering lights. The review says otherwise.

2) The taillights have dynamic turn-indicators and are standard across the trims. If possible, please post a GIF or video of the same.

3) Good to see the adjustable rear headrest for all the 3 passengers. The previous gen models, in India, got only two.

4) Thankfully, the lower variant doesn't get the chrome treatment on the front bumper. It also doesn't get front fender badging and radically designed alloys. The only bummer is the absence of TPMS.

5) Maple Brown and Brilliant Silver color options are exclusive to the L&K trim. Fortunately, the Lava Blue and Magic Black are available as standard.
romil.shroff is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:42   #27
BHPian

Everything else is perfect, but it's a family car and families do want a sunroof. Even a panoramic one!

How bad is the laden ground clearance of 106 mm in the real world?
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:44   #28
BHPian

Was really looking forward to this launch - Octy seems to hit the right boxes and, if the pricing is sane, it should find its way onto many BHP'ians homes.

The only concern is the 137 mm ground clearance - that's less by any standards, and even stiffening the suspension won't help it from bottoming out across our urban lunar landscapes.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:54   #29
BHPian

Honestly, the only direct competitor to this new Octavia would be the BMW 330i (Performance wise). Not even thinking of bringing the BMW 220i or the Mercedes A200 in the comparison list.

Surely enough, the Audi A4 will have a very hard time now, justifying its pricing and finding buyers in the market .

Now, Audi A4 - (The Badge + a few features)= The New Octavia!

Let's just hope they price it aggressively to snatch away many buyers from the luxury segment. I'm sure then many prospective 2series/ A class/ A4 buyers would take home the Octavia, instead!

Last edited by sampadroy : 9th June 2021 at 16:01.
sampadroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 16:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Was really looking forward to this launch - Octy seems to hit the right boxes and, if the pricing is sane, it should find its way onto many BHP'ians homes.

The only concern is the 137 mm ground clearance - that's less by any standards, and even stiffening the suspension won't help it from bottoming out across our urban lunar landscapes.
Reason why folks are shifting to Crossovers. For city runs and 4 lane runs, ground clearance should be okay I guess. Enthusiasts will anyway baby the car. Octavia is not a car with which you can jump through road humps anyway.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed