Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

A great start to an otherwise dull Monday morning

Will be interesting to see if buyers prefer the sporty looking Kushaq or the classy looking Taigun. Good time to start " Kushaq Vs Taigun" thread. For me, it's the Taigun, mostly due to better looking interiors.

One thing I missed, can the windows of Taigun and Kushaq be closed/open by using the lock/unlock buttons on the key?
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:36   #17
BHPian

Is there any information on the number of variants & variant-wise features break up?
Old 9th August 2021, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Excellent review as always. Kudos to the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Interestingly, this is the second time we are welcoming the Taigun nameplate in India, and it still manages to confuse us at times (Tiguan - Taigun).
Quote:
I must say this - as fun as it was to drive the manual, the 1.5 DSG, to me, was the perfect engine-gearbox combination for the Taigun. Fast and effortless at any legal speed, the powertrain compliments the ride and handling characteristics of the car beautifully. The combo makes the Tiguan an effortless cross-country mile-muncher, if fuel prices are not a concern.
The confusion seems to be a notorious one. Please do get it changed.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 11:56   #19
BHPian

That virtual cockpit just isn't good.

So a big competition for the highest model of Taigun is the T-Roc. But what do we do once the T-Roc sells out?

It is as if we have to pick driving dynamics vs features in this segment.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:02   #20
BHPian

Superb, detailed review with beautiful pics of the stunning Taigun!

As expected, the Taigun seems to be better equipped than the Kushaq. For e.g. 6 airbags in AT is perhaps the most crucial difference.

It's all down to the distribution of features across variants and, of course, pricing. I do expect a marginal premium over the Kushaq though.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Great Review !! Thanks.

Didnt like the Virtual cockpit at all !!
Can we swap the Virtual cockpit with the analog one
The Analog looks more classy I think ..simple and elegant
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

A brilliant, detailed review of a great car! Rating the review 5 stars!

With every passing day, the cries for a video review keep increasing but with such a Team-BHP review as this, who the heck requires one?
I am good with whatever I see out here.

Taigun's product strategy folks, would definitely want to get the pricing right now that they have been handed a very competent product.

Not sure whether a certain Mr. Hollis might want to offer a advice or two here

On a lighter note, Taigun and Kushaq - from the VAG group, remind me of the movie Karan Arjun - where Shahrukh Khan plays his usual bubbly Kushaq self and Salman is the typical no-nonsense Taigun guy
JoshMachine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good that VW is not offering their tractor engines (Read Diesel) in this car. VW makes some really noisy engines which doesn't suit their cars at all. People give you really strange look when you start the diesel engine, it sounds really bad. First time when I heard my friend's Vento, I was shocked.

Pricewise it will compete with Creta and Seltos but will never gain numbers like them for VW. This looks size smaller like Kushaq when compared to Korean duo. This is like premium, bigger hatchback for people with big pockets.

Thanks for wonderful, detailed review guy's.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

I'm still a bit confused with the new VAG products - but I must say I like the Taigun more than I liked the Kushaq at launch. It just looks more like a VAG than the Škoda does. The Kushaq's interiors seem to have been modified just to differentiate it from the Taigun but it doesn't have the typical Škoda interiors (vast expanse of beige and airy dash), even in ambience, though they look good nevertheless. The Taigun looks more like a proper, modern-day VW. Sure, the interior quality isn't as nice as the Polo and Vento but people have been complaining about that internationally for some time now, even with the T-Roc. Not to mention, the interior styling is in line with the new international T-Cross/Polo/Virtus etc which is a refreshing change. I think the analogue dials on this one look gorgeous. The digital cluster isn't bad either but just makes the cabin look too full of screen. I have begun to actually like the body coloured panels.

I do like the grille of the Comfortline variant (if that is what it is - the wild cherry red one) better than the GT's. It reminds me of the pre-facelift Tiguan diesel. I don't like the new wheels much. In fact, there was a car at the media drive shipped with the Polo's alloys for transport and I actually liked those better than these wheels. I don't like the chrome air dam and rear bumper one bit.
Quote:
Since the Taigun doesn't need to stick to the sub-4m rules, the bumpers protrude on either side. This should help protect the metal work in city driving conditions where minor altercations happen, and gets a thumbs up from us:
Good thing is, in a minor bump, that chrome will fall right off. Rare case where I'd let the tailgater keep it and probably pay him too.

Quote:
•Keyless entry, chrome window-line, chrome-lined door handles. Heck, even the driver side door doesn't get a slot for the key, nor a keyless entry request sensor!
I think it actually does get a keyhole, but you have to pry open the plastic panel that meets the free end of the handle using a flat tool or even using the flip key, and behind it lies a keyhole. At least that's how it works in our MQB Octavia (3rd-gen). Do note that it's a pain to put back once removed because it demands perfect alignment of the plastic tabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
2. What the hell is that keyfob? doesn't look like VW's at all.
It's borrowed from the previous-gen MQB parts bin. It's identical to the one on our 3rd-gen Octavia.

Also, 6 airbags on the automatic - my main problem with the Kushaq - has been fixed, although I really wish the one-litre automatic was available with them too. I won't make assumptions about crashworthiness before an NCAP test because it will just lead to nowhere and might instead start heated arguments. That said I am extremely curious about the crashworthiness of these new VAG products. I'm sure the Global NCAP is too, and with 4 new products launching in a year I'm sure they will test at least one of them soon. I just hope VW hasn't wasted electricity electroplating bumpers with chromium instead of hot press-forming steel members (this is intended as a joke and I still don't intend to draw any conclusions about the structural rigidity).

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th August 2021 at 23:20. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
ron178 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen opens pre-bookings for the Taigun

Volkswagen took to Twitter to announce that the pre-bookings of the Taigun open today.

Volkswagen Taigun Review-taigun-tweet.jpeg

The Taigun is based on the same MQB A0-IN platform as the Kushaq. It comes equipped with a host of features, including LED taillights, a 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment system and a digital instrument cluster.

It will also get the same engine options as its stablemate. There will be two petrol engines on offer - a 1.0-litre TSI with 113 BHP and 175 Nm and a 1.5-litre TSI putting out 148 BHP and 250 Nm. While a 6-speed manual transmission will be offered as standard with both engines, the 1.0L engine will get a 6-speed automatic option and the 1.5L motor will get a 7-speed DSG.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:25   #26
BHPian

Purely in terms of rear space/comfort for passengers is this similar to the Compass? I see that the wheelbase is more than the Compass (just like the Kushaq).
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:32   #27
BHPian

Hi great stuff, one thing sorely missed are the menu-hyperlinks at the top of the review, such as

Exteriors and Interiors (Volkswagen Taigun Review)

Driving the Volkswagen Taigun 1.5L Turbo Petrol MT (Volkswagen Taigun Review)
barefeetdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Thanks guys for an awesome detailed review.

Keeping DSG/DCT concerns aside, which engine of the two is faster and more fun to drive - The 1.4 Turbo in the Creta/Seltos or the 1.5 Turbo in the Taigun/Kushaq ?
mayank0782 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:58   #29
BHPian

Seems like for top end models, for 1.5 TSI DSG go with Volkswagen and for 1.0 TSI torque coverter go with Skoda.

It's however sad to know that 1.0 TSI torque converter models won't get 6 airbags in either of them. Or is there some of hope till the official launch ?
drivingmelody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 13:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
A great start to an otherwise dull Monday morning

Will be interesting to see if buyers prefer the sporty looking Kushaq or the classy looking Taigun. Good time to start " Kushaq Vs Taigun" thread.
Completely agree on both points. Unsurprisingly, first class review Of course, as requested for the Kushaq too, look forward to a similar one on the 1.0 too.

And yes, we definitely need a Kushaq Vs Taigun thread soon. There are so many similarities between the twins and then, there are some things that have been completely swapped too - between the top end variants of each!! That simply puts a potential buyer in a spot for having to make a decision from all those difficult compromises forced on us by VAG.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks