Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 22:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

What a contrast. VW gave an absolute plain Jane Polo with an explosive combination of TSI+DSG. A car that very badly needed paddle shifters, plush interiors and maybe some exterior sporty bits. Even GTI was not that plush - I am fine if VW wants to keep the exterior muted but Polo DSG deserved a much better kitted variant. Instead they dumped DSG altogether. Should have left it as an option.

Here we have this offer from Hyundai with fabulous interiors and paddle shifters and the works on a drivetrain that is no match for TSI+DSG.

Somehow we Indians continue to be denied of a truly hot hatch. What the heck can't someone give a car that is well-kitted along with a great drivetrain. I am sure we can afford a lakh or two more.
androdev is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 23:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

One way or the other, Hyundai continues to take the Indian market for a ride with a product which is supposedly a premium hot hatch with gizmos to boot but with a not so hot drivetrain. The interiors look nice and snazzy. Nice review for the car inside out.

Pricing a product on such a higher scale and yet not equipping it with a proper engine is a joke. But then, I can still see Hyundai laughing all the way to the bank with this one too. On a day, Ford is ceasing its manufacturing operations in the country, I can see folks in Hyundai chuckling !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 9th September 2021 at 23:46.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 00:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai gets a lot of hate for pricing and handling.

Everyone wants a feature loaded car, but for cheap?
Wonder what goes on in their minds.

I drive a 2017 Honda Jazz V Diesel MT. Paid over a million rupees for it. It doesn't even get a central locking button on the door pad.

On the other hand, in today's date, the i20 N Line has all the features one would need (and some which you wouldn't need) for ~ INR 13.75 on-road.

So is the price delta justified for me?
Well, with a turbo-petrol 120 PS motor, 7-speed DCT, sunroof, leather upholstery, better suspension and steering, pleasing but not-so-disturbingly loud exhaust, connected tech and so much more; I think it makes sense.

Criticism has become the new cool.
Buying a car or a bike is an emotional purchase.

Drive / ride it first. Then give your verdict.

I drove it (more than 100 kms), and I loved it. It is F-U-N enough.

Last edited by parrys : 10th September 2021 at 00:40.
parrys is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 04:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

I gotto give Hyundai India a pat on the back for this one.

I have a good feeling that this car will sell, even at its high asking price. Its pushing 14 lacs in some cities and that is full size sedan territory. If the car is good, I see no reason why it won't sell. Hyundai have a ever growing customer base in India and exciting cars like this is what will bring them back to the brand.

Love the look of this car. Its got a lot of i30 N elements on it and while it may not be a full blown fast hatchback, it is current and better equipped than the ageing VW Polo.
Old 10th September 2021, 04:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

A good start from Hyundai and I hope they find enough buyers to keep moving in this direction.

I'm puzzled why Hyundai doesn't offer automatic wipers but offers several other stuff. Automatic wipers are good from a safety point of view as well.

I can't help look at the irony that 09-09-2021 presented. Hyundai lifts the embargo on the i20 NLine reviews and Ford announces their exit from manufacturing in India.

Last edited by kiku007 : 10th September 2021 at 05:01.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 11:46   #36
BHPian

Hyundai is clearly testing the waters here for a prospective N series launch in the future. Must say it is a genuine effort combined with good pricing as well (relative to vanilla i20). Full credit for the nice execution and going beyond just the cosmetics.

To nitpick, I think the N line moniker is deceiving. They are trying to cash in on the N series brand with some wordplay here - N line/N series you know what I mean. I would have preferred if they just called it i20 Sportz.
Old 10th September 2021, 11:57   #37
BHPian

Will there be a market for after market power upgrades? To make it an actual hot hatch from a warm one..
Old 10th September 2021, 13:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Will there be a market for after market power upgrades? To make it an actual hot hatch from a warm one..
Yes. Get the ECU remapped as a starter. Upgrade to higher stages as needed (with hardware change). Worth it IMO.
Old 10th September 2021, 13:55   #39
Team-BHP Support

So will Hyundai extend the N-Line to other variants? Well, someone in the factory has some ideas!

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_2301.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_2302.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_2303.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_2304.jpeg
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 14:29   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
So will Hyundai extend the N-Line to other variants? Well, someone in the factory has some ideas!
That's the Venue Sport variant on which the iMT transmission first made its debut -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...tch-pedal.html (Hyundai Venue iMT Review : Intelligent Manual Transmission without a clutch pedal)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 14:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ah, I stand corrected - never knew it existed!

Last edited by ajmat : 10th September 2021 at 15:08.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 14:47   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
What a contrast. VW gave an absolute plain Jane Polo with an explosive combination of TSI+DSG. A car that very badly needed paddle shifters, plush interiors and maybe some exterior sporty bits. Even GTI was not that plush - I am fine if VW wants to keep the exterior muted but Polo DSG deserved a much better kitted variant. Instead they dumped DSG altogether. Should have left it as an option.

Here we have this offer from Hyundai with fabulous interiors and paddle shifters and the works on a drivetrain that is no match for TSI+DSG.

Somehow we Indians continue to be denied of a truly hot hatch. What the heck can't someone give a car that is well-kitted along with a great drivetrain. I am sure we can afford a lakh or two more.
Agree with you a hundred percent. I may be biased but I feel GT TSI DSG is a good starting point and you can use simple bolt on mods to increase its fun quotient. (And still be under the price of the N Line).

The biggest con in the N Line for me is still the questionable safety. Yes there are 6 airbags but not sure how structurally safe this car is.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 15:07   #43
BHPian

Hyundai definitely needs a pat on their back for venturing into this segment of cars. However I don’t think this car would find much takers. It’s neither here nor there.

It won’t really entertain an enthusiast given no manual transmission is offered and the DCT isn’t as fast as the DSG. Also the engine is same as what’s provided in normal i20 that doesn’t have a great top end. One can’t downshift (above 4K RPMs, using paddle shifters); apparently to protect the engine and transmission.

Also it’s unlikely to be considered by a common man (over the regular i20) who would prefer a softer suspension setup, lighter steering and a slightly lesser sticker price.

It’s more like the Baleno RS , even though I would definitely admit that Hyundai has done a great job in differentiating the N line from the normal i20 both cosmetically and functionally that Maruti didn’t bother to do.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:24   #44
Team-BHP Support

Having driven this car for over 100 km on some phenomenal roads around Udaipur, and some very rural roads in RJ, I can say definitively that the N-Line is a great effort by Hyundai.

You could call it a pseudo hot hatch or luke warm, or whatever you’d like to call it, but I am now finding myself recommending this car to everyone over everything else currently available.

Some folks here asked a pertinent question - why didn’t we draw more parallels with the Polo GT TSI? Well, the Polo’s erstwhile 1.2 TSI and the new 1.0 TSI are superior engines to the 1.0 T-GDI. The 1.0 TSI in particular absolutely eats this engine for breakfast, in terms of power delivery and poke across the rev range. The DQ-200 dry clutch DSG is also a superior unit when compared to the DCT that Hyundai offers. And when it comes to straight line stability, the Polo still has the upper hand over the i20 N-Line, there is no question about it. The build quality of the Polo is also superior to the i20’s.

However, the i20 N-Line beats the Polo hands down in pretty much every other aspect.

In terms of handling at 6-8/10ths, the i20 N-Line with its firmer dampers and weighted steering feels like a proper enthusiasts’ car. Couple that with a fruity exhaust paired with flappy paddles on the steering wheel to change gears, and not to mention the feature/tech rich and spacious cabin, the i20 N-Line is what I would call the complete package.

The Polo is far too compromised a product with average suspension and braking that does not do its engine/drivetrain any favours whatsoever. Add to it a tight cabin and an ageing interior and you suddenly see why the i20 N-Line is probably worth the 2-3 lakh premium over the equivalent Polo GT.

Well, Hyundai has at least made the effort of tweaking the i20 to make it fun and appealing to the enthusiast. It isn’t just a cosmetic exercise, it’s a little more than that. The Polo on the other hand is just a very competent commuter car masquerading as a warm-hatch, with its GT badging and its blink-and-you-miss cosmetic enhancements.

And if you look at our market’s track record of “warm hatch backs”, you will realise that up until now we have been severely shortchanged.

I mean the 1.2 K Series NA motor in the regular Baleno hatch was more fun to drive than the lacklustre boosterjet powered Baleno RS. The Tiago JTP was a non-starter and Fiat sold only 12 units of the Abarth Punto across the country.

The i20 N-Line may not have the outright performance or the build quality of the Polo, but it is without doubt the more complete package and can very easily be treated as the only car in the household for the family inclined enthusiast who simply cannot compromise.

I think Hyundai should offer an optional dealer-level performance package along with the N-Line comprising of:

1) ECU and TCU tweaks for a mild power bump, sharper throttle response and snappier gear shifts.

2) 10 mm lower springs with stiffer spring rates and beefier anti-roll bars to address the pitch, roll and sketchy handling at the limit.

3) bespoke sporty tyres made specifically for the N-Line variant to further help improve upon the average mechanical grip.

Price this performance package at 50k and watch the enthusiasts lap it up hungrily! The last-mile compromises deliberately made to this car can be addressed by specifying this package at the dealer level, and those who are truly interested can opt for it.

The fact that the aftermarket support for Hyundais is absolutely abysmal and suddenly you would understand why such a dealer-level performance package makes sense! Hyundai, I hope you are listening!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2021 at 09:47.
suhaas307 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 10:04   #45
anb
BHPian

Hyundai should launch N Line variant with a diesel engine. With Polo TDI, Baleno Diesel discontinued and no Figo, only diesel hatch is Altroz. There will be definitely some customers for a sporty diesel hatchback, given the fuel prices and efficiency of diesel engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks