Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:39   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Has anyone bought or TDed the N Line iMT? Is it worth plonking 11+L?
Old 23rd January 2022, 12:22   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandmv View Post
Has anyone bought or TDed the N Line iMT? Is it worth plonking 11+L?
If you're asking specifically about the iMT, I test drove the Venue iMT when it first released, and it took me half a dozen kms before I could adjust to it. Even then, I think I kept absentmindedly pressing hard on the dead pedal and wondering why it didn't budge. Motor memory and all that. Shifts feel a lot slower, but my left knee thanked me later. For a relaxed city drive or for bumper to bumper traffic, iMT is excellent. You just can't expect it to be as fast as a regular MT in the hands of a good driver.

I have no clue of how different the N-line iMT would be as I've not test driven it, but by all accounts the gearbox experience shouldn't be too different.

As for whether it's worth the money or not, it would differ based on individual needs and budget, so I would advise you to test drive your preferred variant first.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post

I have no clue of how different the N-line iMT would be as I've not test driven it, but by all accounts the gearbox experience shouldn't be too different.

As for whether it's worth the money or not, it would differ based on individual needs and budget, so I would advise you to test drive your preferred variant first.
Thank you! For a lakh more, N line N6 iMT offers all round Disc brakes, ESC and lot more compared to the Regular Sportz iMT. I was wondering if that lakh more is worth the investment. I have enquired on TDing an iMT to take a call. Hopefully that will clear things up.
Old 26th January 2022, 08:48   #139
BHPian

Hi guys

Mostly finalizing on i20 a bit divided on either going for vanilla i20 or N Line, can someone confirm on waiting periods, will go for petrol top end variant in either, so that's N8 or DCT Asta. Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 17:38   #140
BHPian

Just came back thoroughly disappointed from the Hyundai showroom.

Test Drove i20 N Line N8 DCT, below is my experience

On phone queries were as below for i20 N8
- Immediate delivery was available of any color
- Quoted was 14.2 Lacs with all optional items included
- Test drive vehicle was available as enquired on phone

Showroom experience
The Test Drive was managed well after initial meet and greet the car was ready, seemed spanking new i20 N8 (Odometer read 1200km)

Everything went downhill from here. Below is my feedback on 10 km drive maybe a bit more.

Test Drive
From driver perspective
- Automatic driver seat adjustment is missed as soon as you enter
- Missed the ventilated seat option (not sure if any hatch has it)
- The car for a petrol had a slight but terrible vibration on idle
- There is no pickup below 2500 RPM or so, for me it seemed pathetic and undrivable
- I tried a bit of city and highway (10 kms in all) but the turbo lag is at least 3 seconds and makes you think if you even want to overtake.
- Steering was steady and sharp
- Suspension seemed firm and decent
- Sound system is decent and has some base (Baby shark)

From backseat perspective (Wife)
- The car is jerky (Turbo Lag)
- Sound system is Bose? It’s nothing great
- Car suspension not good you get a lot of vibration (Maybe cause of stiffer suspension)

So basically, given that I have to drive it to run errands and wife has to mostly drive it in city I cannot live with that turbo lag, it’s like getting a root canal every time u wants to overtake or even just get a move on in city traffic.

Next options will be maybe Verna, still open to 1.2 IVT i20, may have a look at Astor but cannot at all go for i20 N8.

This based on short drive experience, and I hope others who find it good have wonderful miles ahead.
DesertRain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRain View Post
Test Drive
From driver perspective

- The car for a petrol had a slight but terrible vibration on idle
- There is no pickup below 2500 RPM or so, for me it seemed pathetic and undrivable
- I tried a bit of city and highway (10 kms in all) but the turbo lag is at least 3 seconds and makes you think if you even want to overtake.

It seems there was some issue with that car. I drive the N8 DCT and it is a rocket; no turbo lag, no jerkiness. I would suggest you try another showroom. The car is indeed a pleasure to drive especially with IndianOil XP95 fuel. Just for reference, I used to drive a Linea T-Jet before this and I barely miss that car now (except it was much bigger and a more mature suspension setup).
johy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 18:32   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
It seems there was some issue with that car. I drive the N8 DCT and it is a rocket; no turbo lag, no jerkiness. I would suggest you try another showroom. The car is indeed a pleasure to drive especially with IndianOil XP95 fuel. Just for reference, I used to drive a Linea T-Jet before this and I barely miss that car now (except it was much bigger and a more mature suspension setup).
The car i drove was new only 1800k on odometer.
I drove normal i20 DCT again, and it was perfect. So i think I'll go for i20 normal one not the N Line one of at all.

But wife is not a fan so will look for other cars as well
Let's see however very few choices of instant delivery.
DesertRain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRain View Post
The car i drove was new only 1800k on odometer.
I drove normal i20 DCT again, and it was perfect. So i think I'll go for i20 normal one not the N Line one of at all.

But wife is not a fan so will look for other cars as well
Let's see however very few choices of instant delivery.
Honestly, there are not much options in hatchback available for non AMT auto currently.

Polo - Not available (atleast in Dec, not sure now)
Altroz - No auto
Baleno - Waiting period + new one around the corner
Glanza - Guess Toyota has stopped taking order due to facelift (one of my friend mentioned when his dealer cancelled his booking)
Jazz - Too old and not sure of future

That leaves with only i20

Also from my test drives I did not find any difference in engine response between normal DCT i20 and N Line. The difference is mainly in suspension and steering, which I felt is better than normal.

Last edited by sunikkat : 1st February 2022 at 19:23.
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 05:33   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Honestly, there are not much options in hatchback available for non AMT auto currently.

Altroz - No auto
Baleno - Waiting period + new one around the corner
Glanza - Guess Toyota has stopped taking order due to facelift (one of my friend mentioned when his dealer cancelled his booking)
Jazz - Too old and not sure of future

That leaves with only i20

Also from my test drives I did not find any difference in engine response between normal DCT i20 and N Line. The difference is mainly in suspension and steering, which I felt is better than normal.
Yes i20 becomes the default option. I like the styling if N Line so let me try it again.

I was requesting a different showroom for ICT 1.2 Ltr and he swore that it will mean even more lag. He insisted i try the normal DCT i20 instead of N Line and was surprised that i did not feel lag at low RPM and speeds.

Its maybe how the engine or gear ratios have been tuned. Cause the second test drive that i took in normal i20 was in similar conditions and similar weight etc.

Tried calling KIA for Sonet for immediate delivery, his response was as follows-

I maybe can try to get you to maybe get a showroom piece which we may get in March, but i cannot promise color and waiting period, so sir no promises.
Told him thanks for being so sure.
DesertRain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 15:40   #145

Quote:
Thank you! For a lakh more, N line N6 iMT offers all round Disc brakes, ESC and lot more compared to the Regular Sportz iMT. I was wondering if that lakh more is worth the investment. I have enquired on TDing an iMT to take a call. Hopefully that will clear things up.
I hope its not too late to answer this question. I have bought the i20 N Line N8 IMT. For me it was a matter of few kms like 5 - 10 kms before i got hang of it. Trust me when i say it, its a boon in traffic and city commutes. I had driven almost all types of transmissions but MT was and still is my preferred choice. I was lot paranoid before getting i20 IMT because 14 lakhs otr for the dct was out of my budget with the already stretched budget of mine only for i20. Coming to the transmission, its a bit slow as said in above posts but shifts themselves are slotted well and reassuring. It does rev matching automatically on downshifts. There is a bit of clunkiness when shifting from 1st to 2nd over 3000 rpms even when accelerator is depressed. But its a good transmission and still gives us the choice to hold a gear and shift at will like a manual.

So if you haven't bought it yet and thinking to buy, just get it. You will get hang of it pretty soon. Also just to add some more when i drove manual after mt, it was same process of getting used to for the first 4-5 kms. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2022 at 17:03. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 4th February 2022, 17:35   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportigo View Post
I hope its not too late to answer this question. I have bought the i20 N Line N8 IMT. For me it was a matter of few kms like 5 - 10 kms before i got hang of it. Trust me when i say it, its a boon in traffic and city commutes. I had driven almost all types of transmissions but MT was and still is my preferred choice.
Thank you!

Very timely since I just wrapped up a TD. I couldn't get my hands on N-Line but did drive the the standard i20 iMT. I adapted quite quickly except for a slight hesitation on whether I should lift my right leg off accelerator while shifting gears or if I should just get on with shifting the gear without bothering about it. It was very smooth sailing ther after.

N-Line is still out of my budget but strongly considering given the features on offer. The SA kept repeating that Hyundai has stopped iMT on the standard i20 which is at odds with what I see on Click To Buy. Hopefully, I will decide soon.
anandmv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 02:05   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SA kept repeating that Hyundai has stopped iMT on the standard i20 which is at odds with what I see on Click To Buy. Hopefully, I will decide soon.
I think that’s true. In late November when I was booking IVT enquired about IMT in normal i20 as it was cheaper than IVT but dealer mentioned the same. Infact he told me all IMT’s are being converted to N Line, though I would take it with a pinch of salt.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 11:56   #148

Quote:
N-Line is still out of my budget but strongly considering given the features on offer. The SA kept repeating that Hyundai has stopped iMT on the standard i20 which is at odds with what I see on Click To Buy. Hopefully, I will decide soon.
The regular i20 Asta iMT is still available. I bought my car a month and half ago and that time it was still available plus with a 25k cash discount. I think the SA is just trying to push you for the N Line variants or even the upper variants. You can check at other dealerships for the same.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2022 at 19:10. Reason: Capital letters, missing word added
Sportigo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 14:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
VW has started production of the Polo from January. I received my Highline Plus AT a couple days back and it's a January 2022 manufactured car.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2022 at 19:09. Reason: Abbreviation (HLP)
vedirah is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 22:52   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
VW has started production of the Polo from January. I received my Highline Plus AT a couple days back and it's a January 2022 manufactured car.
+1, I got my Polo Highline Plus MT, manufactured in Jan 22 yesterday.

Could be due to sales of Taigun which are quite far from expected. Probably made VW think to at least sell the model which was their original bread/butter.

Last edited by Old_Salt : 5th February 2022 at 22:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks