Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 10:02   #286
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
I took the i20 N-Line DCT for a spin. Quality and materials are the same as on the regular i20. The interior looks good with its red ambient lighting, including the black headliner. The steering wheel felt and looked better than the standard ones. It gets auto-dimming IRVM, which the regular i20 misses out on. Start the engine, and you won't hear the subtle tweaked exhaust note; it's refined and silent. Push the gear lever to D, then release the brake, and the car moves forward very gently, not at all aggressively like the Polo 1.0 TSI AT. Even when driving slowly, there is a noticeable amount of turbo lag. I noticed that it doesn't shift to 1st gear even at crawling speed while the car is on the move, and I feel that the lag is more pronounced during the initial gears. Press the TC button once to disable TC, and press it longer to disable ESC. Shift to S and go pedal to the metal, and it sounds loud and revs up to 6400 RPMs before upshifting, and it's really eager in the mid-range. The steering, suspension, and stability were much better than the regular i20 and even compared to any other Hyundai. The handling was very precise too. If I had to compare it with the Polo 1.0 TSI, I would say that apart from outright acceleration, the i20 N-Line is better in all other driving aspects.
Spot on assessment, for the turbo lag, use xp95 and it’s barely noticeable after that in my opinion. Not on the first full tank, but from the second one onwards.
icestrok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 12:52   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
As the reviewer Suhaas mentioned, a colossal miss is the MT for this car. I wonder if automatic rev matching on the DCT and iMT had something to do with this decision? Or was it to price the base variant at a slight premium over the i20 Sportz iMT variant to attract the base Magna and Sportz crowd.

Either way, enthusiast crowd will crave for more if they end up buying this. Polo GT TSI or even the Nios Turbo are more bang for buck options than the N Line. The non-enthusiast crowd might only opt for this for the exterior looks. Someone considering the Asta or Asta (O) variants might go for this.

Oh and fantastic review. Rating this 5 stars.
My First Post. Sorry for any issue.

Recently booked Nline N8 imT Starry Night in December and waiting period is whooping 04 months. (as quoted by SA but promised delivery ASAP available). Checked with other dealer and was told No booking for imt while DCT readily available. A few queries regarding same. Please throw some light.

1. Is imT drive worthy upgrade from MT?
2. Tded DCT and felt a turbo lag, should I expect the same in imt also?
3. Read several post about Tyre Upgrade & Upsize. As concerned with fuel economy, ride comfort & tyre life, suggest best tyre size and option between Conti UC6/ MC5 and Michellin PST4.?
4. Read somewhere about fuel pump issues. Is it with everyone or some faulty cars?
5. Any further updates or advice in advance to look for?
6. Also, need PDI in .pdf or any printable format

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Nliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 21:10   #288

1 Year Ownership Experience with the Hyundai i20 N-Line IMT

It’s been 1 year now since the i20 N-Line (aka WhitePearl) been a part of my garage. Brought her home 10th December 2021. You can checkout my Initial Ownership Experience (Hyundai i20 N Line Review) So, I am sharing the ownership experience of the past year. I will try to focus on key points that I felt sharing.

From the Day 1, I brought home the Car, it has been a great experience. The rad styling of the car with color combination of White-Black-Red is what I liked the most (although looks are subjective to individual). The car has run a little over 7000 kms at the time of this review. I couldn’t make any very long trips this year but had made few short trips of 200 – 250 kms each. The car had been performing great, the engine had been smooth till day with no unnecessary noises or sounds. Always followed the engine warmup and cool down methods, I think that helped.
The exhaust is beautiful (although not very loud) and had always kept me smiling and added that zeal to the drive every time. Notably in the 2nd and 3rd gears, the exhaust growl is audible in the 2k to 4k RPM range.
On the road, people do notice the car at traffic or while on the move and that always brings a smile on my face. The Infotainment is one highlighting feature of the car and everyone had admired it.

1. Engine, Transmission and Dynamics
  • Driving Dynamics - One word for this – FANTASTIC. I love the way the N-Line drives. The Steering Inputs are pretty much direct and the heft to it is apt as per me. Anymore or any less could have taken away from the experience. The car understeers a bit on tight turns with higher speeds but never feels out of control. On the highway, the car sticks to the road with no floating effect as such. The suspension takes the credit for this. Overall, the suspension is pliant but stiff. Some speed breakers and potholes do thud through at certain speeds (say at 25 – 30 kmph). But surface undulations & rough patches are soaked up well. One thing to note is that the car does fishtail a bit on rumble strips on a curved road.
  • The 1.0 TGDI engine has kept me happy. Its smooth at idle and running – typical of a Hyundai. There is a lag low down in the rev range below 1800 RPM and its noticeable when the car is houseful or on inclines. Must downshift to 2nd or 1st in such scenarios and the IMT helps in maintaining the proper gear as per my requirement. There is no push-back-to-seat feel to the performance, but power build up is good.
  • The IMT transmission has been a breeze for me especially in the city. On the highway the 4th, 5th and 6th gears are tall enough to cruise happily or overtake other vehicles. Although I must mention the 3rd gear is obnoxiously tall ratioed. The IMT had been smooth, accurate and glitch free for 99% of the time. (The remaining 1%, I will mention in the upcoming context). But I must mention, the transmission is not a fast shifting one like an MT or DCT when you want to drive more enthusiastically. Albeit it kept me happy for more than 85% of my drive time till now. The IMT is a bit jerky in the 1st Gear with On-Off throttle transitions.
  • The stock Ceat SecuraDrive tyres have been more than adequate for my everyday driving and even moderate enthusiasm but anything more and the tyres squeal. The wear on the tyres have been good (not excess and compromising on traction) over the time. There is road noise from these tyres that seeps into the cabin. I have always maintained the tyre pressures in the range of 33-35 psi. The TPMS has been working correctly without any issues till now.
2. Build Quality, Fit & Finish

This is an area of the car where I have mixed feelings. The overall fit and finish of the car is good and not great. Compared to Grand i10 (brought in 2018) that my father owns, the i20 sits a notch below. Don’t get me wrong, there are no major rattles and squeaks in the cabin. But its not absolutely silent. Like for example on rough concrete roads and stone paved roads like the ones we find on some driveways to malls, I had observed a constant minor rattle and buzz from dashboard on the car. Nothing alarming for me but not the smoothest of experience. One good thing is that the quality had remained consistent over the year when compared to my brother-in-law’s S-Cross which had developed few more squeaks and rattles with almost the same time span. Coming to the paint quality, I felt it sits between the Grand i10 and S-Cross, Grand i10 having the better paint quality here. The overall build quality is a little subpar for the price.

3. Fuel Efficiency

The fuel efficiency numbers have varied for me through out the span of ownership depending upon traffic, AC usage, City (Hyderabad) and Highway rides. I will try to put forth all scenarios below:
  • AC ON | City | Moderate to High traffic: 9 – 11 kmpl
  • AC ON | City | Light to Moderate traffic (e.g., early morning hours): 11 – 12 kmpl
  • AC ON | Highway |Speeds 80 – 100 kmph: 17 – 18 kmpl
  • AC ON | Highway |Speeds 100 – 120 kmph: 15 - 16 kmpl
  • AC OFF | City | Moderate to High traffic: 11 – 12 kmpl
  • AC OFF | City | Light to Moderate traffic (e.g., early morning hours): 12 – 14 kmpl
  • AC OFF | Highway |Speeds 80 – 100 kmph: ~ 20 kmpl
  • AC OFF | Highway |Speeds 100 – 120 kmph: ~ 18 kmpl
All the figures are with regular 91 Octane Petrol. Never had a chance of long trip so didn’t check with tank full method till now.

Sharing a few of mileage shots from Fuelio app (which is close to MID figures):

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-efficiency1.jpg Hyundai i20 N Line Review-efficiency2.jpg Hyundai i20 N Line Review-efficiency3.jpg Hyundai i20 N Line Review-efficiency4.jpg

Screenshots of Fuel Cost for an average monthly running of 500 – 600 kms:

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-costsvsdistance.jpg

4. Hyundai Authorized Service Experience
  • The has gone through 2 Free Services and no major complaints over there. The 1st Service was total free of cost with just basic checks.
  • The 2nd Free service saw an oil change and oil filter change, engine bay clean up and amounted to 2089 INR.
5. Issues/Niggles
  • Major Issue: Fuel Pump failure at 6000 kms. The issue happened out of nowhere when I was travelling with my wife on a Sunday. Thankfully the issue happened inside the city limits and in the afternoon. The car was moving at a low speed of around 35 kmph when suddenly it lost power and throttle inputs did not provide any power, I was in 3rd gear, and I shifted down to 2nd but nothing again. Then I shifted to neutral and brought the car to rolling stop towards the side of the road. One pain point here is the connectivity of the car. The inbuilt network reception of the car is very bad (likely to blame the service provider? I think its Vodafone, correct me if I am wrong). After multiple attempts, the call connected to RSA and they took all the details and arranged a towing truck. The whole process of calling RSA to towing truck arriving took a little over an hour. All through out the time, Hyundai RSA folks had been good and very helpful. Although same can’t be said for the POC who had been appointed to send a mechanic to do initial check and jump start the car. The person had a very bad attitude as if his whole day got spoilt due to this call or as if I had asked him to sell his kidney. The mechanic and towing truck folks were again good with prompt responses and service. After towing the car to nearest Hyundai ASC, the manager and the mechanic were quick enough to identify the issue. The issue got resolved after replacing the Fuel Pump, this took 2 days and was done under warranty. No issues since then.
  • Minor Issue/Niggle - There is a glitch in the IMT transmission especially in 3rd gear. Sometimes when I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, there is sudden rev drop as if the clutch hasn’t engaged properly like in an MT if you suddenly depress the clutch with the throttle pressed. Once I let go of the throttle and step again, it would start to pull. Clutch slipping maybe? This has happened like 1 in 100 times or even less, therefore not able to reproduce the issue consciously (The 1% mentioned earlier). Do tell me if someone else had similar experience with IMT.
6. Modifications

None, except vinyl wrapping the rear license plate area to black as it looked cool in the European i20 models.

7. Overall Likes & Dislikes
+ Engine, Transmission, Handling (Steering & Suspension)
+ Infotainment System and the Bose Speaker System
+ Comfortable Seats
+ Convenience of IMT
+ Projector Headlights
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-headlight_throw.jpg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-screenshot_20221219205815.jpg
Checkout the High Beam throw on a dark highway

+ Interior Feel – Steering Wheel design, Instrument Clusters, Leather Seats, Ambient Lights and buttons tactile feel.
+ AC – Quite good, effective in bringing down cabin temperatures even when its 40 degrees outside.

Dislikes:

- Build and Paint Quality
- Slow Shifts of IMT
- Inbuilt Network Reception of Car
- Turbo Lag low down in the rev range
- Sunroof – Not really a dislike but I never used it much. I feel this feature should be optional and would help in bringing down the vehicle cost for those who don’t require it.
- Wiper blades quality could be improved a lot. They are not the best, there are lines of water when wiping the screen in just 1 year. Thinking to replace them soon. I am open to suggestions. Does anyone know any flat blade/frameless wipers for the new i20 ?

Some pictures of the beauty:

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-rear_end.jpg Hyundai i20 N Line Review-side_profile.jpg

Please feel free to reach out to me for any queries and suggestions. Will keep you posted with new posts in the future.
Sportigo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 08:30   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportigo View Post
The IMT transmission has been a breeze for me especially in the city.
Does it auto-rev match, or if it doesn't, how do you do it in a clutchless manual transmission car?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd December 2022 at 08:53. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 23rd December 2022, 09:25   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportigo View Post
1 Year Ownership Experience with the Hyundai i20 N-Line IMT

It’s been 1 year now since the i20 N-Line (aka WhitePearl) been a part of my garage. Brought her home 10th December 2021. You can checkout my Initial Ownership Experience (Hyundai i20 N Line Review) So, I am sharing the ownership experience of the past year. I will try to focus on key points that I felt sharing.
Thanks for the updates from a user POV. Did you test drive the Venue NLine as well? How did it compare with the i20?

Regarding frameless wipers i have been using Bosch aerotwins for a decade or so now. As long as you are careful not to use them on a dusty windshield they are pretty durable. When the windshield is dusty I either wash the windshield if possible or sprinkle a bottle of water liberally on the windshield before turning on the wipers.

Have heard good things about the valeo brand too but never used them personally.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 23rd December 2022 at 09:30.
Old 23rd December 2022, 13:03   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
Does it auto-rev match, or if it doesn't, how do you do it in a clutchless manual transmission car?
Yes, it does rev match automatically when downshifting.
Sportigo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 13:08   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Regarding frameless wipers i have been using Bosch aerotwins for a decade or so now. As long as you are careful not to use them on a dusty windshield they are pretty durable. When the windshield is dusty I either wash the windshield if possible or sprinkle a bottle of water liberally on the windshield before turning on the wipers.

Have heard good things about the valeo brand too but never used them personally.
I didnt get a chance to drive the Venue N Line anytime recently. At the time of buying my car, Venue N Line wasn't launched.

Thanks for the info on wipers. I will give them a look as I need to replace mine soon I guess.
Old 23rd December 2022, 13:31   #293
BHPian

Picked up Starry Night N8 DCT N line last weekend. Thus far the experience has been quite pleasant, wanted to go with tyre change right after delivery but getting Michelin PS4 was a challenge, planning to change after a year or so.

My other drives are F30 320d (stage 1) and Tiguan all space. The size and manoeuvrability coupled with the handling of the N line is quite refreshing, the plastic quality leave a bit to be desired but the other positives of the car make it easy to look past them.
Old 27th December 2022, 09:11   #294
BHPian

I picked up an i20 N Line a few weeks ago. Considered the usual suspects in the ~15L range (City, Slavia, Verna etc).. I wasn’t really looking for a hatch nor was I planning on a Hyundai yet again. But alas, was not able to connect with any car the same way the i20 N Line tugged at the heart strings. A random test drive, and I had the car home a couple of days later. Truly feels like I am 25 again. Just summing up a few likes, dislikes over the last 600 kms / 3 weeks that I have had her.

Pros
  • FUN and engaging to drive. Brakes, steering and suspension will make you make sure you have both hands on the steerings wheel
  • Is a hoot to drive between 20-80 km/hr. Gains speed f-a-s-t. The car feels like it’s walking at 50 km/hr - very painful when following the speed limit in Delhi.
  • Feature packed, great sound system. The only thing it’s missing which I can think of is ventilated seats, front sensors and auto wipers.
  • N Line steering wheel
  • Fog lights
  • Blue Link is a cool party trick
  • Front seats are comfy

Cons
  • Start up and shut down vibrations is unnerving. I have felt the car vibrate when stationary at traffic lights as well. While, I understand it’s a characteristic of a 3 pot, but feels cheap coming from any 4 pot vehicle. A Grand i10 in this case.
  • Horn needs an upgrade
  • Lots of hard touch plastics
  • Lag at <20 kms - annoying when you need to reverse up onto a road which is a few inches higher than the side
  • Apple phone barely charges when plugged into CarPlay. USB-C would have been good to have.
  • DCT shift from first to second is a bit notchy
  • Impending fuel pump failure
  • Extended warranty not offered on the N Line

Neutral
  • Ceat tires seem okay
  • Price
  • Headlight intensity could have been better
  • Red accents and red ambient light
  • Fuel tank capacity is only 37L, urban range seems like <400 km. More frequent fuel stops than the Grand i10 (43L with 500km range) which it replaced

Will try putting together a review once I have put a few more miles on the clock. Big thanks to the forum especially to this thread and the ownership threads of akshaysehgal, ChiragM and others. I have suddenly started seeing a bunch of N Line’s on the road in Gurgaon after getting one.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_4032.jpg

Last edited by promit : 27th December 2022 at 09:12.
promit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 20:14   #295
Senior - BHPian

Back in November, we had what could probably be the biggest i20 N Line owner's meet in Bangalore. A total of 19 cars turned up to the meet at Prestige Golfshire. Some pics from the meet (pic credits to the respective photographers):

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-1.jpg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-2-resized.jpg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-3-resized.jpg

The Whites:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-7.jpg

The Blues:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-8.jpg

Is this the first and only time that we have all colours offered by Hyundai for the i20 N Line together?
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-4.jpg

A manual 991 911 joined in on the fun:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-5.jpg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-6.jpg
ChiragM is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 10:18   #296
rbk

I booked an i20 N Line 2 weeks back and my car is due for delivery this Wednesday. It is an N8 DCT in Thunder Blue (Dual Tone). I have read through all 20 pages of this thread, but I still am not able to figure out which fuel I should use in the car. For context, I am getting the car as my daily driver, and my weekend toy is a Skoda Octavia vRS 230 (Stage 1 running an 95 RON ECU tune). Because I use XP95 on the vRS, on the N Line I prefer having the flexibility of being able to re-fuel anywhere without hunting for IOC Pumps and being apprehensive if a particular outlet sells XP95, especially in the rural areas.

But despite that because the car is a daily driver the primary two factors - Performance and Fuel Economy - are mighty aspects to consider. I have understood that interchanging between the normal petrol and high octane one (depending on availability) is not particularly healthy for the engine. So I need to come to a decision before tanking up for the first time!

Some have suggested there is a considerable improvement in Performance and Fuel Economy by using XP95, but some have suggested it isn't as much as to move mountains. Can some existing owners who have already experimented on both fuels, please give me more particulars as to how the Fuel Economy numbers compare. Also one of the posts have suggested the Turbo Lag in lower RPM's seem to be less apparent while running XP95. How noticeable is the difference?

Boys! Insights Please!
Old 8th January 2023, 15:03   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestrok View Post
Well, there you go. Fuel pump failure.
Went on a 2.5k km road trip across 2 weeks… on the way back, 5km from my home I took a stop, car didn’t start after that.

Had to tow it to the service centre, took a day for diagnosis, it’s a faulty fuel pump and has to be replaced.
They will cover this under the warranty from what I know, thankfully since I was so close to my place the service centre where the car is now is the same one where I visit normally. In fact had my second service scheduled for the next day.

I can’t profess to knowing much about the fuel pump but my car has been drinking only xp95 and never had an issue, had 2 full tanks of normal petrol from HP in this trip (since xp95 wasn’t available anywhere). Had 0 issues with the car till I stopped and couldn’t start again.

Kinda scary considering this could have happened literally in the middle of nowhere in the western ghats and I’d be in a lot of trouble.

Service centre folks have 0 clue as to what caused this to happen, and that’s even more disappointing.

The fuel pump isn’t in stock and will take approximately 10 days to get delivered.. 6 of those are over, so I should get the car by the next week.

Just painful all around tbh .. it happened at a place where I had support available but if it had happened anywhere else where I normally drive, I don’t have a clue what would have happened.
I understand the pain. Had a 2012 i20, which I bought as used and it was running pretty great until the covid wave. Never spent a Rupee after I bought it on repairs or spares. However, since the car was parked with rare drives during early 2020, started giving troubles.

I was on lookout for buying a new flat and went to a deserted place behind a lake in Chennai to view a property. To my scare, the flat was right next to a burial ground on the shores of a lake. While the main road is visible to the bare eyes, it isn’t easy to get people. My car stuck and failed to start. It was Covid lockdown everywhere and government issued tokens to move around only after valid. I had to call my mechanic because service centers were closed and came to my rescue. Eventually I had to replace my transformer board. That experience was horrible. Similar to that, the car failed to start on a signal while I was taking my pregnant wife to hospital for checkup. Things like these spoil our mood and create confusion. Finally sold it last year
Old 9th January 2023, 15:30   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
but I still am not able to figure out which fuel I should use in the car.
I have used XP95 on my N Line for good 6 weeks. This was after running the car for 2K KMs and first service. Apart from the deeper sounding burble (not sure if this was placebo), I was not able to discern any performance improvements. The car still had its characteristic turbo lag below 2K RPM, still accelerated in Drive and Sport mode as it would on 91 RON petrol, and still returned similar fuel economy numbers.

I switched back to regular 91 RON petrol.

Even the owner's manual does not ask for 95 RON petrol.

PS: Put the car into Sport mode, even in city traffic, it masks the turbo lag well.
Wageabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:16   #299
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wageabond View Post
still accelerated in Drive and Sport mode as it would on 91 RON petrol, and still returned similar fuel economy numbers.

I switched back to regular 91 RON petrol.
Thank you so much for your response! Guess I too will stick to the normal petrol on the N Line.

I have been waiting impatiently for an extra week because I had a number booking for the car! Got allotted the desired number this morning and the dealer has placed the order for the number plates. Hoping for the car to be delivered on Wednesday! Can't wait!
Old 11th January 2023, 11:15   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkriz26 View Post
I understand the pain. Had a 2012 i20, which I bought as used and it was running pretty great until the covid wave. Never spent a Rupee after I bought it on repairs or spares. However, since the car was parked with rare drives during early 2020, started giving troubles.

I was on lookout for buying a new flat and went to a deserted place behind a lake in Chennai to view a property. To my scare, the flat was right next to a burial ground on the shores of a lake. While the main road is visible to the bare eyes, it isn’t easy to get people. My car stuck and failed to start. It was Covid lockdown everywhere and government issued tokens to move around only after valid. I had to call my mechanic because service centers were closed and came to my rescue. Eventually I had to replace my transformer board. That experience was horrible. Similar to that, the car failed to start on a signal while I was taking my pregnant wife to hospital for checkup. Things like these spoil our mood and create confusion. Finally sold it last year
I’m sorry to hear that, especially the latter one about getting stuck at the signal.. need to get as much warranty for these vehicles as humanly possible now. The sad part is hyundai service centre is equally lost as to how this happened.

Most Viewed