Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2024, 18:58   #391
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Finally got the allocation and got to do the PDI of the car this morning .
Taking delivery on Thursday
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 22:07   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Finally got the allocation and got to do the PDI of the car this morning .
Taking delivery on Thursday
Congratulations! I have booked about 10 days ago and eagerly waiting for the car. Do you mind sharing when you booked and what was the variant.
Old 31st January 2024, 14:29   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Congratulations! I have booked about 10 days ago and eagerly waiting for the car. Do you mind sharing when you booked and what was the variant.
Hi Vinodh_eee,

Congratulations to you too. I had booked on 1st of January. Mine is an N8 DCT in White monotone.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th March 2024 at 15:17. Reason: Minor spacing
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 21:45   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I got another one (high tone) fitted from the service center. Now it sounds like a Creta which has the same twin horns.
How did they fix it? Was there any wire splicing done or is it a coupler-to-coupler connection with a relay installed or is it an OEM connector?

My ASC said they don't do that because it'll void the warranty. Will need to check another place. Don't want to get it done from an accessories shop because I know for they'll use a hacky way.
Old 1st February 2024, 19:22   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanski View Post
How did they fix it? Was there any wire splicing done or is it a coupler-to-coupler connection with a relay installed or is it an OEM connector?

My ASC said they don't do that because it'll void the warranty. Will need to check another place. Don't want to get it done from an accessories shop because I know for they'll use a hacky way.
One HASS refused so I went to another who did the job. But he charged me for only horn so I presume he used the OE relay and fixed them in parallel. Didn't actually see the job being done.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 21:29   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Kills ICE-Powered N Models in Europe, shifts to hot EVs.

Quote:
Going forward in Europe, Hyundai is developing Hyundai N as a pioneer of high-performance EVs. Our customers will benefit from technological developments that will make EVs even more attractive in the future.
Link:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 10:26   #397

Greetings to fellow Bhpians,

I was earlier planning to write an ownership update on my i20 Nline n8 DCT when I hit the 1 year milestone in April 2024. However, the car has just come back from its third service and has covered 27250kms in 11 months; this being a long weekend I had some spare time to pen down my thoughts. Most of the kilometres have been covered on city streets with a few 300-500kms trips planned every now and then.

From the 11 months of ownership so far, here’s my brief idea of Pros/Cons of the vehicle -

Pros -

1. The engine + gearbox combo. It’s been quite some time and I am still just as eager to drive it each morning as I was on day one. IMO it’s just the right balance of power and tractability for the city streets.

2. The ICE has been niggle free and smooth, along with the convenience of Bluelink to track/start/stop the vehicle. In hindsight, I really undervalued these remote features at the time of purchase but now I find myself using them each day.

3. The Hyundai ASS has been hassle free with complete peace of mind; as always.

4. The combined fuel efficiency on a tank to tank basis stands at 10.1km/pl and I am not a light footed driver, so I’m certainly happy with that.

5. The car has aged nicely, it still looks pretty on the streets and bonus points for not being as common as the regular i20.

Cons -

1. There is a noticeable turbo lag in the lower rev range, that simply refuses to hide unless there’s a manual gear change from the paddles or the shifter. Gets quite annoying at times when you need a quick manoeuvre or overtaking on the highways.

2. The paint quality seems to be questionable. There’s visible rusting on the boot, the door sills, and the door edges. Why Hyundai (?)

3. The severe lack of aftermarket mod community. I have been looking for an engine and gearbox tune but none available. There’s a generic engine tune but nothing to help with the DCT gearbox that won’t drop a gear or two as and when needed. Most mods done for social media are surface level wraps, or wheel changes.

4. The brake wear is surprisingly high, in the 27250~ kms covered I have had to change all 4 brake pads once, followed by front brake pad change along with new front discs. Quite concerning.

5. The in car MID fuel data is the most useless one I have ever seen. A tank full of petrol ~35L should last me 310-330kms and it does. But Everytime I fuel up, the MID shows 600+ kms of range and then it drops by 2kms for every 1 km driven. Makes you do basic math each time you want real DTE.

Now, all things considered;

Is it perfect?

No, as all things in life, select compromises have to be made one place or the other. But,

If I could go back in time and re evaluate my decision, would I go ahead and make the same purchase?

Yes, absolutely. It’s a fun little pocket rocket and I don’t think there’s anything remotely as fun for the price.

Attaching few images I find aesthetic of the car.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_0604.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_5627.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_0149.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_9449.jpeg

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-img_8135.jpeg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th March 2024 at 15:16. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
TurboBiscuit is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 20:16   #398

The engine does sounds punchy, but average of 10KMPL is on the lower side considering a 1.0L (3 Cyl) Turbo for a hatchback. Now assuming the same for a city run during traffic hours like of Delhi NCR, the mileage will plummet further.
Old 13th March 2024, 00:34   #399

I am planning to buy the manual version of the same.
Old 13th March 2024, 08:33   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBiscuit View Post

I was earlier planning to write an ownership update on my i20 Nline n8 DCT when I hit the 1 year milestone in April 2024. However, the car has just come back from its third service and has covered 27250kms in 11 months; this being a long weekend I had some spare time to pen down my thoughts. Most of the kilometres have been covered on city streets with a few 300-500kms trips planned every now and then.
Spot on observations. Kudos to an eventful 11 months and 27k kms!! It is a special car this one. As you pointed out, the DTE is hilariously off. The car is thirsty, the tank is tiny (33L) and the city range is ~330 km only. On the lag front - I switched to XP95 in the second month itself and haven't looked back since.
Old 13th March 2024, 14:11   #401
BHPian

Quote:
2. The paint quality seems to be questionable. There’s visible rusting on the boot, the door sills, and the door edges. Why Hyundai (?)
I agree. The paint quality, especially the white color, is quite terrible. It gets stained and chipped easily as the the clear coat seems to be thin. Also, there are embedded dust specks and pin hole defects right from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-dust-speck.jpg  

Gotcha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 10:55   #402
BHPian

At the Hyundai Service, getting my 4th/30,000th km interval service done. I refused wheel alignment and balancing because there is no perceptible issue with the balancing for me. I asked him after he tried the car (and nearly crashed it a couple of times) if he found a perceptible issue with the alignment, and he said "small issues can't be felt". Despite that, they want to do alignment. Here's what the manual has to say:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-i20-service-manual.jpg

So the manual says to only do alignment if an issue can be observed. They want to do it every time. Then the service advisor said that refusing alignment might affect warranty claims. I have a 7 year extended warranty, most with concerns regarding the DCT and Turbo engine. So it remains to be seen how useful the extended warranty will be if Hyundai makes you sign away your warranty endlessly. Should be interesting if they try to deny warranty claims on the engine or drive-train because of refusing wheel alignment and balancing.

Here's the form they made me sign:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-form.jpg

Will checkout the Creta N Line while I'm here, but the way Hyundai acts, it's unlikely that they will get my money again. Or I'll bring a few forms with me that I'll have them sign before booking the car.
pepega is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 13:45   #403
BHPian

I couldn't get used to the looks of the stock alloys. So presented myself a set of momo massiomo concave 16" 7J wheels on my birthday. The tire was already changed to Continental 205/55/16 , put the same one.
My first choice was revenge series, but it had 8 holes, didn't like the looks with 4 empty holes.

Want to get rid of the speed chimes. Anyone's got done it yet ? For my previous car Polo 1.0TSI MT it as just a two minutes job to remove it via coding and cost me around 3K.

Recently did a 1400 km trip Bangalore to Kerala and back. The average mileage for the trip was 12 kmpl. The same distance i had done multiple times in polo and 13-14 was the average.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-whatsapp-image-20240409-2.53.37-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-whatsapp-image-20240409-11.39.07-am.jpeg  

Last edited by motor_breathing : 10th April 2024 at 13:49.
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 21:44   #404
BHPian

Background

For the past two years, I've been looking for an SUV to replace our trusty 13-year-old Santro GLS. While the Santro holds a special place in my heart with its reliability and faithful performance on the road, its age has brought about increasing maintenance issues and rattling noises. Last year, during Dussera, I opted for the Seltos 1.5 Turbo Petrol DCT. However, I opted to retain the Santro for two compelling reasons:

1. With the end of remote work, both my wife and I needed separate vehicles for our daily commutes. Her office commute and mine, located 35km away in the opposite direction, necessitated a practical approach.

2. Despite the allure of the Seltos, I found myself dissatisfied with its DCT performance, particularly in terms of initial pickup, led me to retain the Santro. Unlike the Seltos, the Santro requires just a gentle tap on the accelerator for a responsive drive, similar to a 2-stroke motorcycle.

However, by November, the rattling noises from the Santro had intensified, prompting serious consideration of exchanging it for a new hatchback.

Requirements

Budget: Price range between 8 to 10 lakhs
Transmission: Preference for manual transmission to rediscover the joy of driving a manual car, given that I already own an automatic.
Other Requirements: Seeking reliability, decent mileage, Powerful AC and decent cabin space.

After exploring various cars, I zeroed down to I20 Nline N6 Manual variant.

I20 Nline Test Drive Experience - All-black interior, felt premium despite of extensive use of hard plastic. I instantly fell in love with the sporty gear knob and three-spoke steering wheel, which differed from the regular i20 steering (I am not fond of the D-cut steering wheel on the regular i20). Driving the Nline Manual, I was impressed by its initial pickup and overall performance, which was better than all the other cars we tried, even though I couldn't test it extensively.

Booking and PDI Experience

We expressed our interest in purchasing an i20 N Line N6 Manual in Dark Grey, and the dealer confirmed the availability of a November 2023-manufactured N6 Manual variant in that color. Additionally, the dealer offered a 75K discount and 5K worth of accessories. Without any further delay, we booked the vehicle. The booking experience was good. We completed the pre-delivery inspection, cleared all dues, and registered the car on December 29, 2023, to avoid registration price hikes.

Delivery Experience

The delivery experience was disappointing. When I booked the vehicle, the dealer mentioned a 75K discount on the on-road price, which included insurance from the dealer. Alternatively, they offered a 50K discount if I chose not to go with the dealer-provided insurance. I opted for the dealer-provided insurance. However, upon receiving the invoice from Trident Hyundai, I noticed that they had deducted the entire 75K amount from the ex-showroom value, resulting in a lower insured declared value (IDV) for my vehicle. This deduction of the 25K insurance discount from the ex-showroom value was incorrect. Despite several discussions, the dealer refused to acknowledge their mistake or correct the invoice. Instead, they stated that this billing practice was standard for all their customers.

Ownership & Driving Experience

Here are some observations after owning the car since January 2024 and driving it for about 3000 kilometers over the last 3 months.

1. Suspension - It is on the stiffer side. The stock CEAT tyres adds more stiffness to the ride quality due to which all pothole jerks are felt inside the cabin. As a temporary solution, I keep my tyre pressure at 32 psi, which slightly improves the ride quality.

2. Steering - Steering feedback is very good and accurate. It feels light at low speeds (though not as light as the regular i20), and it gains some weight as the speed reaches 40 KM/H.

3. Braking - The brake is good but not sharp although it has 4 disc brakes. At the same time it will never make you feel nervous. It could have been better.

4. Seating Comfort - Seats are firm may not be comfortable in long journey. The under-thigh and lumbar support could have been better.

5. Engine/Transmission Performance - This is what I was looking from a Turbo petrol car. Pick up on 1st gear was good but the dynamics changes the moment you change it 2nd followed by the 3rd gear . It pulls very aggressively and I was able to reach 90km/h in 2nd gear itself because of the tall gearing.

Downside - The engine tends to struggle a bit in hilly areas, especially when climbing uphill with a full load of 5 passengers and the air conditioning turned on.

6. Clutch - The clutch travel is longer and slightly springy. It feels a bit firmer compared to the regular i20.

7. AC - The AC is very good, but unfortunately, there's no option to control or reduce the rear AC, nor there is any option to close the rear AC vents.

8. Music System - The N6 music system is decent, but it tends to distort at high volumes. Additionally, the rear speaker volume is noticeably lower, approximately 40% less than the front speakers. Upon examination, I discovered that the rear speakers are smaller, with a 5.25" driver compared to the 6.5" front drivers. To improve the sound quality, I installed damping pads on all four doors, which enhanced the audio experience. However, I refrained from replacing the speakers due to concerns about voiding the warranty.

9. Mileage - In Bangalore city traffic, the fuel economy ranges from 9 to 14 kmpl, depending on the traffic conditions. On the highway, with sedate driving, I'm achieving 18 to 20 kmpl.

10. Wireless Android and Apple Carplay support - One reason for choosing the N6 variant was its support for Wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay, which seamlessly connects to my Android phone.

11. Head Light - N6 Head light is not so great.

Conclusion
Certainly, it's the most enjoyable hatchback currently available in the Indian market, despite having a few shortcomings. Overall, I am very much satisfied with my purchase.

Attaching a photo of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-i20-front.jpeg  

bizi05 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 22:49   #405
BHPian

Quote:

Cons -

1. There is a noticeable turbo lag in the lower rev range, that simply refuses to hide unless there’s a manual gear change from the paddles or the shifter. Gets quite annoying at times when you need a quick manoeuvre or overtaking on the highways.

This is the most common issue across all Hyundai/Kia DCT cars, whether it's the 1.0T DCT in models like i20/Venue, or the 1.5T DCT in Creta and Seltos. The noticeable initial lag can be quite frustrating and annoying at times. This is why I opted for the manual transmission while buying the i20 Nline
bizi05 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks