Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:43   #346
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 N Line Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

However, we drove extensively in traffic (that's what my wife does ) and it was a bit jerky. We could also feel the floor board vibrate whenever we were crawling in the traffic. Also, the ride quality was stiff. My wife likes soft suspension set-up.
I have felt the floor board vibrate in my car as well. Will get it checked when I give it to service this time. This along with the boat like drive on flyovers are quite concerning.
Old 2nd September 2023, 23:13   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drive & Hyundai employees going off on a joy ride in my car!

I dropped into the Pavan Hyundai showroom on Kanakapura Road (Bangalore) as I was interested in checking the I20 N Line and Verna. Prior to leaving for the test drive, the sales consultant asked me if I wanted my Honda Jazz to be evaluated for its exchange value. He called the person in charge to come and check the vehicle condition, while the test drive was conducted. Assuming that the evaluation will happen within the showroom premises (as was the case with a Honda showroom earlier), I agreed to the same and handed over the keys.

The test drive of the i20 N Line was around 15 minutes in duration. The TPMS system showed that one of the tires of the car was under inflated at 21 PSI. The sales person said that it was fine and I could go ahead with the test drive.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-20230902_114829.jpg

Coming from the Jazz CVT, the punch from the turbo petrol was quite something else. It took me some time to get used to the response from the turbo petrol block. The dashboard was a welcome departure from that on my functional, if unexciting, Honda Jazz.

The steering was a touch light for such a sporty car. What surprised me was the lack of engine braking while downshifting with the paddle shifters. Im used to a good amount of engine braking in the Jazz CVT setup but on the i20 N Line, each time I downshifted, it felt as though no retardation was happening. The brake pedal feel was also really off the mark. I suspect that the showroom hasnt done much in terms of maintenance for the brakes but the lack of engine braking is certainly new to me.

I also liked the large display and appreciated the fact that the maps shows a warning sign in a corner for upcoming hospitals (no honking sign), schools, no parking zones etc. The sales person was able to show me in real time how it was updating as we were passing different buildings. I never even knew that such a nifty feature existed.

There are some discounts running on the i20 N Line this month. Last month, the discount was Rs 20,000. This month the discount is Rs 50,000. For anyone interested in the car, this seems to be a good time to pick it up.

I didnt expect to like the i20 N Line as much as I did. Its time to read through this thread from page 1 and learn more about it.

And now coming to the 2nd part of my showroom experience .....

When I returned to the showroom, I found that my Honda Jazz was missing. The sales person casually told me that the evaluators had taken it for a test drive without my permission. I asked him to call the evaluators back to the showroom, immediately. In addition to this, I asked to speak to the sales manager.

10 minutes later, there was no sign of either party.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-20230902_123752.jpg

15 minutes after I was done with my test drive, the evaluators nonchalantly returned with my car. Magically, the sales manager also appeared on cue. Where he was for so long when the showroom didnt have a single other customer till then, was a mystery to me. The evaluators claimed that they called the sales executive who was in the car with me but he didnt pick up the phone. Hence, they decided to go on a joy ride themselves

While reviewing the dashcam footage, I found that the Hyundai showroom employees left at 12:05 PM and returned only at 12:33 PM. Their test drive was twice as long as the one which I took

While this seems to be a common practice at the showroom, I found it to be unacceptable. I am writing to Hyundai's customer service to see if they will ensure that such practices arent repeated.
neil.jericho is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 23:41   #348
BHPian

Introduction
We recently brought home a Hyundai i20 N8 DCT and we are loving it

My brother’s Maruti Swift VDI (Diesel) 2015 model was nearing its 9th anniversary ( due in Dec’ 23 ) and we were worried due to the 10 year rule on Diesel vehicles in Delhi NCR. So, we started our hunt for the new car.

Requirements:
  • Budget - Around 10 Lac - 11 Lac.
  • Should be an Automatic.
  • Hatchback with better mileage.
  • Good ground clearance.
  • Should be comfortable for 4 ( occasionally 5 ) people.

This car would be mainly driven by my brother who is a bachelor and doesn’t need a bigger car at this point.

Options considered:
Maruti Fronx
We loved the exterior look of Fronx and had almost finalised it. The crossover look from front and the coupe-like rear had us sold. It is arguably the best looking Maruti and its 1.2l NA Delta plus fell right into our budget. We were so sure about it that we almost booked it without any test drive.
But, then we wanted to test the AMT gearbox as we’ve driven CVT and DCT but not AMT. So we requested them for a test drive of Delta plus variant which was happily provided. They had Fronx Delta plus AMT readily available for test drive.
As soon as we sat inside the Fronx Delta plus variant, everything changed. The interior does not do justice to the rather attractive styled exterior. The dashboard plastic quality felt inferior even to our 8 year old Swift. The dark brown and black dual tone interior did not appeal to us at all. Infact Baleno’s Black and blue felt a lot better compared to it.
Then we took a test drive, and we realised why everyone hates AMT. The gear shift was clearly felt and the lag was frustrating. Me and my brother looked at each other and we knew Fronx was cancelled.
Thus began the search for the next car.

Maruti Baleno
We looked at the Baleno at the same Nexa dealership. Its interior quality felt similar to Fronx except for black and blue theme which actually felt a lot better. Rejected it due to AMT.

Other compact SUVs
All compact SUVs were way above our budget. The base Automatic variant is around 14L - 15L on road in Gurugram. We didn’t look at Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger due to the low footprint of these brands.

Hyundai i20
We were not sure which car to try next. Just when we were driving back home, we saw a dark blue Hyundai i20 with red accents and twin exhaust crossing us. We really liked it.
Quick google results showed us Hyundai i20 N line with starry night shade.
So, the very next day, we called Hyundai showrooms for a test drive of the i20 N line. Surprisingly, only Himgiri Hyundai had the i20 N line available for test drive. So, the next day, we left for the test drive. We wanted to drive both the iMT and DCT. We were really curious about the iMT gear ( A manual gear without clutch! ).

Dealer visit, test drive and booking experience
The sales person at Himgiri Hyundai were very courteous and resolved our queries regarding the iMT. They had good knowledge about the working of iMT gearbox. However, they didn’t have any iMT i20 N line for test drive. In their defence, they said that the sales of i20 iMT is very low and even Hyundai recommends moving to DCT rather than iMT. I’m not sure if that’s a sales tactic to sell DCT ( higher priced ) or some issues with iMT that Hyundai is trying to mask. But iMT is removed even from the normal i20 line up.
We still insisted on an iMT driving experience and they arranged for an iMT Venue N line. We first took a test drive of iMT Venue N line. As soon as we got in, I immediately fell in love with the gear knob of iMT 🤩. iMT felt like a good combination of a manual gearbox without a clutch. I’m not sure why Hyundai is reluctant to sell it.
After Hyundai Venue iMT, we took a test drive of i20 N8 DCT. My brother loved the DCT performance. But we still insisted on i20 N8 iMT due to ~1L lower cost ( we were already 1.5L above our budget ).
The sales person promised us that the car will be available in around a month and we were happy to book it.
Now, something interesting happened. We thought of getting our old Swift Diesel valued by the Hyundai exchange program and they evaluated it to be 3.3L + 10k exchange bonus. We were happy with the evaluation and wanted to close this deal. But we also didn’t want to be without a car for almost a month. So, we discussed with the sales person and he mentioned that there is an i20 N8 DCT available 3 days later. The person it was allocated to has some finance issues and hence his delivery may get delayed. There was also a 30k discount on the N8 DCT ( but no discount on the iMT variant ). So, the N8 DCT would cost us around 70k more.
After a lot of discussion, we decided to take the plunge and booked i20 N8 DCT. We also got the value of Swift marginally increased to 3.5L ( including 10k exchange bonus ).

Delivery experience
The car was available in just 2 days. We did a quick PDI on the spot and everything seemed right except for the driver door that didn’t close properly. But I remembered from the forum that this was a problem with most i20, so we ignored it.
As usual, the complete process took 4-5 hours. We received an extra 5k discount. The insurance quote was matched. We received carpets, mud flaps as complimentary accessories and bought rain visors and cushion separately. We took the 5 year warranty and 5 year SOT.

The i20 N line experience
It’s been almost a month and we are really loving it. The i20 N line is the most practical, sporty and feature packed hatchback that you can get today.
Yes, it is expensive. In fact the most expensive hatchback. But even the Maruti Swift ZXI AMT costs 10.5L in Gurugram! At approx 3 lac extra, we get rear disk brakes, better tuned suspension, that twin exhaust, a ton of features, a sunroof, a lot better interior, 120 bhp power and 172 NM torque, better suspension and steering setting and the interior space of a Honda City ( almost ). Frankly, we believe it actually gives a lot of value for the money.

The DCT is rather reluctant below 30kmph - 40kmph. But above that speed, if you want a rush, just press the pedal and enjoy that grin 😁.

Few pictures

The front and the rear view:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-8e26c93f9b2b4fda8c4bde09e04c3cbc.jpeg
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-cefee0cf43474ef9bed8c18588a1ab40.jpeg

With the Honda City:
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-5fa083cabee247c5b8dfe52e2a29f7b9.jpeg
Hyundai i20 N Line Review-0490f6f81e2b466a8ffce14736cd15fa.jpeg

Last edited by rAijin_ : 8th September 2023 at 23:45.
rAijin_ is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 14:06   #349
BHPian

We are picking up a N8 DCT next week on our chosen date of delivery. Wanted to check back on how good or bad the stock CEAT Securadrives are.

Are they so bad that they need an urgent swap. I do have an option of 4000 buyback on these Ceats from Ashoka Wheels. Should I take up on that offer? What they recommend are either of the below -

Bridgestone Sturdo or continental uc6

Looks like they have them on almost all immediate and stock sizes.

Also should I stick with 195/55 if I do upgrade or go to 195/60 or 205/55 ?

Usage - I do not do office runs and mostly am WFH. What I would be doing is regular weekend shopping runs, school runs on 3-4 days(hardly 3kms to and fro) and rest would be Highways.
Hyderabad - Pune , Goa and Vizag.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 15th September 2023 at 14:07.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 14:57   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
We are picking up a N8 DCT next week on our chosen date of delivery. Wanted to check back on how good or bad the stock CEAT Securadrives are.
The tyre upgrade is totally worth it as current ceat are crappy tyres. I drove it for about 200kms before changing it to Michelin Primacy.

Size options you should consider 195/55 or you could also upgrade to 205/50, coz of the stiffer option on I20 Nline i went with the same tyre size. Will try 205s during next tyre upgrade

You must try for Michelin , i know its difficult to get it with current state of affairs. But its totally worth it

For 205/50 size their is Michelin Pilot sport 4 otherwise Michelin Primacy.

From the 2 options you mentioned Conti UC6 is better as i have heard from friends who have used it, I do not have personal experience of Contis.
Puneet0051 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 10:24   #351

I recently fitted my car with Continental UC6 after one of the stock Nexen tire had burst after hitting a pothole and another one already had 5-6 punctures with 1-2 radial cracks. I upgraded to 205/55/16 on advice of authorised dealer and seems like the new Verna has this size tyre as stock.

I explored options like Bridgestone Sturdo, checked dealers for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 205/50/R16 but weren’t readily available. Plus everyone recommended with to stick with 55 for better comfort.

I have only driven this car for 300 kms (100 in city, 200 on highway) after upgrading all the 4 tyres, but let me give you my initial thoughts -
  • Road noise is almost gone and so is my bank balance. Costed 37k (9500 per tyre) after a huge whooping 1k less on buyback of all 4 Nexen tyres.

I can feel the engine noise, thrum and vibration, and exhaust note more clearly now. Not sure if its due to tyre upgrade or ageing engine.

Car does feel more planted at low speed on hitting speed-breakers at less than 20kmph. You get fallen upwards less now.

Stability at 120kmph driving on EPE (Eastern Peripheral Expressway) is still the same. It still wobbles and feels like driving a boat in video games.

Rolling resistance seems to have increased. Firstly, Car’s coasting speed has reduced from somewhere between 7-9 to merely 6. Second, Car slows down more rapidly than earlier on lifting the accelerator. I wish I could use this regen.

Do new tyres have some sort of break in period? After a few mins driving on city roads, I went straight to EPE and could hear loud screeching noise every time I braked heavily. And those were plentiful as sections of road were closed due to renovation. (brake maar maar mai tyre di cheekh kadd da).
iNLine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:20   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Are they so bad that they need an urgent swap.
Unless you intend to push the car on corners 'straight' (no pun intended) out of the dealership and drive it like a hot hatch all the time extracting max g-force, the stock Ceat tyres are acceptable.

However, as other folks have pointed out on this thread, if you indeed want to unlock the full potential of the suspension and braking setup, a swap is advisable.

My own advice will be to drive around with the Ceat stock tyres for at least 2-3K Kms, and then take a call.

Happy N-lining
Wageabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 20:46   #353

Guys i have been having a small issue with the welcome function. If I return back to the car within say 10 minutes, the ORVM's open when i approval the driver side door.

But if I return after a longer duration or say after a much longer duration, the welcome function doesn't work.

Pressing the request sensor unlocks the car and the ORVMs open.

Don't understand what is happening.

Have changed the car key remote battery too but the problem still persists. Any idea what's up??

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th October 2023 at 14:18. Reason: spacing for readability
Old 13th October 2023, 09:14   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aejaz View Post
Guys i have been having a small issue with the welcome function. If I return back to the car within say 10 minutes, the ORVM's open when i approval the driver side door.

But if I return after a longer duration or say after a much longer duration, the welcome function doesn't work.
In our case, the welcome function works even after 2 days. I believe you should approach the service center when you've time.
Do keep us posted on the updates.
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:01   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aejaz View Post
If I return back to the car within say 10 minutes, the ORVM's open when i approval the driver side door. But if I return after a longer duration or say after a much longer duration, the welcome function doesn't work. Pressing the request sensor unlocks the car and the ORVMs open. Don't understand what is happening.
I am not an i20 owner so please take my post as a general one.

In modern day cars, there is a timer (usually 20minutes) after which the electrical system of the car shuts down to prevent battery drain. This aids in various protocols aimed at preventing discharge.

In FIAT Punto and Suzuki S-Cross, this can be seen as automatic shut down of interior lights etc. In my FIAT, this was much better as one could not switch on the headlights at all when the car ignition is off. Turning off the ignition switches off the headlights. In S-Cross, lights stay on and there is an audible warning in the instrument console.

Coming back to the topic, my general opinion is that in case of your car, the welcome feature is getting disabled after such preset time is over (e.g. 20 minutes). Once you press the unlock button, the electrical system sends current to the ORVMs and it starts responding again. Thats why you are able to experience the welcome feature within a short interval.

Experiment:

1. During evening hours, leave the cabin light on and lock the car. Sit comfortably and note the time after which the cabin light shuts off (in case it does). Lets suppose this is 20 minutes.
2. Approach the car and see if the welcome feature works around a minute after this light shut down.
3. Again unlock the car, open the door and then again, close the door and lock the car.
4. This time, approach the car at around 18 minutes (a minute or two before the scheduled shut down of the lights).

If welcome feature is disabled along with the lights/ electrical system, you will be able to experience the welcome feature at 18 minutes but not at 21-22 minutes.

Suggestion:
1. Check manual and read it thoroughly. Is the welcome feature customisable?
2. If it is not programmable/ customisable, check with another i20 of similar production timeline. Could be a recent change by Hyundai (doesnt make sense though).
3. Visit service center.

EDIT: I found the i20/ i20 N-line owners manual. The battery saver feature kicks in at 20 minutes. The manual also states that the welcome feature is programmable. Check if there is a relevant setting there.

Hyundai i20 N Line Review-welcome-feature.jpg

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 13th October 2023 at 10:19.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 19:17   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
I am not an i20 owner so please take my post as a general one.

In modern day cars, there is a timer (usually 20minutes) after which the electrical system of the car shuts down to prevent battery drain. This aids in various protocols aimed at preventing discharge.
Thanks for all the suggestions. The cabin light even if left on switches off as soon as I lock the car. That feature is standard on the i20 atleast, I guess. I'll check if it can be programmed at all in the user manual.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 10:33. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 16th October 2023, 01:24   #357
Senior - BHPian

I drove this car (N8 DCT) for over 150 km today, a few observations:
  • Surprisingly good ride. I was expecting a jarringly stiff suspension, it is not that. But still not rolly polly, seems "just right" between sporty and friendly.
  • Steering feel is exaggerated on YouTube reviews, in my opinion. Sure, it is better than most other cars being made today this side of BMWs and Mercs, but it is not THAT feelsome. Just a tad heavier than regular i20. Maybe I was expecting too much based on the online reviews I had read/watched. But I don't think its more feelsome than Polo/Vento/Rapid steering.
  • As a car overall it is excellent, especially interiors and infotainment. Feels "premium".
  • Certainly lots of fun to drive on an open highway
  • The audio system quality is much better than even some luxury sedans I have driven! Punches way above its weight class.
  • Features wise it lacks nearly nothing. From auto headlamps, smart keyless, Bose stereo, 10 inch nav, sunroof, a whole bunch of other things it feels like a premium car one would be proud to own.

Overall - one of the most fun to drive cars available on the market today, maybe THE most fun to drive car this side of 15 lakhs. Yes I am including the likes of Virtus and Slavia when saying that.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 16th October 2023 at 01:26.
rajushank84 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:23   #358

Hi all. I recently purchased the N8 DCT. I have got a query with respect to the infotainment system. While using android auto only half of the screen is being utilised. The google map is also shown in half. Unable to go full screen. Is there any setting that needs to be changed to get it in full screen?Also I have noticed the display resolution is not that great while using android auto. Hope the issue has some solution. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2023, 09:58   #359
BHPian

There is an option in the car infotainment settings to use entire screen for CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I used it in half screen mode for a few months until in September I realised this was customisable.
Old 28th October 2023, 00:24   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
There is an option in the car infotainment settings to use entire screen for CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I used it in half screen mode for a few months until in September I realised this was customisable.
I found the setting for that but it doesn't seem to work. Turning off the split screen for Android auto doesn't seem to have any effect, it still takes up some 40% of the screen to display "Android Auto" and uses only about 60% of the screen to display Google maps. Wonder if it's a bug or needs a software update...

On an unrelated note: "S" mode or in manual using paddles is the perfect way to use this car. It's tempting to use it in "S" most of the time.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 28th October 2023 at 00:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks