Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 16:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Huh?

This is quite absurd.

Every afternoon on my drive/ride on the WEH, I've seen this vehicle for a week straight!

It was in a Nardo Grey meets silver colour.

Amazing road presence. Classy LED lights that were always on, hazards included.

Always waved to the driver.

Not sure why they gave you guys a wrapped version.

Oh well, love the European styling as always.

Can't wait to see the pricing!
BennyA23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:25   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
"must"? I don't think so. You really should watch the video linked above in my post. And, if possible, go TD a 1.0 TSI car from the VW stable. Prepare your mind on the 1.0 to be changed, once you drive it. It's more than adequate and a better performer than the 1.5 VTec.
I TD kushaq two times both engines and always automatic variants. I liked the drive except for 2 seconds lag from standstill. Admittedly I floored the pedal and maybe this was not the correct way to launch the car and maybe thats why there was this lag.
I liked everything about Kushaq but I had to drop it as all 4 members of my family felt nauseous in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

Skoda does say that the new DQ200 is more durable than before. Presumably they've learned from their earlier failures and made some engineering changes. Whether what they claim is true or not will eventually be found out - BUT - it is not the same gearbox that has historically failed in Indian cars. The chances of it succeeding or failing are similar that of any new DCT gearbox (like Hyundai's!). Do not let the reputation from previous DQ200 failures weigh you down when evaluating the current iteration of 1.5L + DQ200. Judge it like you'd judge a new DCT gearbox. If DCTs in general are beyond your risk appetite, you should seriously considering TDing the 1.0+AT variants of any of the Rapid/Kushaq/Slavia before making up your mind and concluding the engine to be inadequate.

Risk appetite for every customer is different and some wants to be doubly sure that they are not buying a product which will pose problems in future.
So I understand the need for Turbos & DCT but I dont need to have these if there is a slight chance of reliability isues.
Also I feel onus is on Skoda/VW to persuade hesitant customers rather than customers taking a chance on them. After all this is what brand value is all about.

One more thing - certain past actions of VW group does not put them in any good light. We all know about their pollution control fraud. I believe Audi surreptitiously remedied this issue in India and bribed me with a USB thumb drive! Of course I didnt know it at that time otherwise i would have given them a piece of my mind but later on realized the situation.
I also faced a fraud committed by their erstwhile Gurgaon dealer which didn't even submit GST returns and I have to bear this loss of GST. I received no word from Audi upon their fraudulent dealer. I never got my Audi serviced from Audi after that.
So the way I see it is that its every business looks out for themselves and every customer is on his/her own.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 28th October 2021 at 16:31. Reason: additions
neeraj0272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Risk appetite for every customer is different and some wants to be doubly sure that they are not buying a product which will pose problems in future.
So I understand the need for Turbos & DCT but I dont need to have these if there is a slight chance of reliability isues.
Also I feel onus is on Skoda/VW to persuade hesitant customers rather than customers taking a chance on them. After all this is what brand value is all about.
Yes of course. There's the MT for the risk averse and the 1.0 AT's driveability is only going to be better than the the City's, even if slightly.

As much as Skoda/VW reassure us of the reliability or durability of the new gearbox, any DCT has an inherently higher risk attached to it than the TC alternative.

My point was, 1.5L DSG even despite Skoda's reassures is never going to provide a peace of mind for those who are risk averse. However, it should also not be seen with the baggage from the history of the DQ200 either.

It is a good option for those who can take the moderate risk associated with any complicated and new tech (Turbos, DCTs) for the reward they both provide in terms of driving.

I had originally planned to get the Honda Jazz CVT when we went to Ludhiana to purchase a new car. Happened to pass a VW dealership and TD'd the 1.0 TSI AT. The smile it induced on my face - and still does, while driving, seemed to be worth the occasional heartache that's almost inevitable with a German car.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:35   #79
MSJ
BHPian

Thanks Aditya For the detailed report and preview.

I feel this one is going to be one good looking car with perfect dimensions, But the only thing that is against Slavia is the Notorious DQ200 Gearbox, Not to mention the recent EPC Issues with the kushaq, Hope Skoda will get their act together with Slavia At least.

My hunch is that Skoda is definitely going to charge a premium over the competition for this one.
MSJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:14   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
I think you made the right decision of going for Octavia. I am sure there will be day and night differences between both as with current Octavia, Skoda were targeting entry level luxury sedans. And new Octavia reeks quality inside out.
In Slavia there will definitely be cost cutting
And then that 2 TSI is too good with a better gearbox. So those who can afford and willing to spend Octavia will be a better choice anyday
You are right on the bone with the price point argument. Price of entry to Octavia is still higher. Most of the folks who ended up picking one, have extended budgets and secondly there hardly any choice in 20-30 Lakhs bracket for a Sedan. CKD vs Local manufacturing once does expect difference in quality but also ends up paying the premium.

Slavia will definitely use components from parts and bin of Kushaq that is where cost differentiation is and also lower maintenance cost. For a person who uses the car mostly in city with occasional highway run the 1.5 TSI will do the job at lower price point. This is where i was coming from.

Even Octavia with 1.5 TSI if offered will be a good choice considering it will be more fuel efficient. There is a considerable market for this. With record prices of fuel 2.0 will plaster a 100 watt smile along with heart burning punch in your monthly expenses

Head on both products are different proposition. Question that i would have asked myself once both the products are on floors, is octavia worth paying the premium? The answer lies on how deeper your pockets are and thirst for experiencing the explosive 2.0L TSI engine

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 28th October 2021 at 19:15.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 20:50   #81
BHPian

Hope they are testing the cars keeping in mind to address the issues cropping up in Kushaq so that those doesn't show up when Slavia is launched and deliveries begin. Fingers crossed🤞.
Sids85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 22:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Nice! For a change, I am hopeful that this car would be a better one from the Skoda group. I would have said that the Honda City is more reliable, but then it is now completely out of date with the current times and has become boring. I just hope that Skoda gets the pricing right this time and sorts out some of the reliability issues and put a tab on their dealers. I liked the overall shape/design a lot and I am looking forward to the actual launch in November. Fingers crossed; this time, they should really come up with something good.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 22:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

So the VW Virtus already exists and is on sale in other markets. But this is the MQB A0 IN platform and supposedly hasn't been launched yet - so what platform is the Virtus sold abroad on?
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 23:02   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
So the VW Virtus already exists and is on sale in other markets. But this is the MQB A0 IN platform and supposedly hasn't been launched yet - so what platform is the Virtus sold abroad on?
Globally, the Virtus is based on the MQB A0 platform, slightly different from the MQB A0 IN where IN stands for India specific due to localization.

Last edited by Shome : 28th October 2021 at 23:03.
Shome is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 23:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
Is Zac suggesting this car will be placed above Kushaq? Note: he says there is a big gap between Kushaq and Octavia.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BJLStUjFe_s
That’s my concern as well, they’ve quite often emphasised premium positioning, a segment above current rapid, and in this Autocar interview, they highlighted the gap between Kushaq and Octavia.They might price the top model 20-22 lacs exshowroom if they keep on talking like this and that would be a real bummer
darklitex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 05:21   #86
BHPian

Good to know that VAG 2.0 is not just a gimmick and they are quite serious about Indian market. Even though SUVs and Crossovers have taken over my garage, my love for sedans is still intact. This could just be the sedan to replace my ageing i20 and the workhorse XUV provided they price it competitively or with a very little premium. Skoda makes amazing sedans and this one has potential to revive the nearly dead C segment. How I wish they still made the oil burner. 1.5L TDi+DSG would have been a hit combo even today. Nonetheless, 1.5+MT or 1.0+TC are excellent combos. Full marks to the brand on the effort in providing different options even though the volumes are low.

We are deprived of a desirable C segment sedans from quite a while now, Honda city, once the car of enthusiast and the youth, is now preferred mostly by relatively older individuals for back seat and competes with the likes of Ciaz. In fact, surprisingly I found the Verna to be more agile than the City. All the best to Skoda and saluting their courage to launch a vehicle in the C segment.
Mach_1590 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 05:53   #87
BHPian

1.5 TSI with Manual gearbox is my kind of car. The problem with 1 litre and similar smaller engines is that they are quite fast when you are driving alone and air conditioner isn't working over time. Load the car with all the passengers and their luggage, put the AC on to full blast and low displacement shows.

I hope Skoda nails it this time with reliability and good service.
Old 29th October 2021, 13:08   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Also at 2:15s Karthik confirms that it is not a liftback but a regular sedan boot as it is lower cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Exactly, attaching a screen shot along with the pic from an Octavia.
Credits To Providers : ZigWheels
Attachment 2224958

Comparing to an Octavia's notchback/liftback(from one of my trips) :
Attachment 2224954
See Zac Hollis’ tweet on the sedan https://twitter.com/zac_hollis_/stat...443585039?s=21

He never mentioned liftback but notchback. Some of us (including me) might have misinterpreted it.

Notchback by definition is

Notchback cars have "a trunk whose lid forms a distinct deck." In profile view, the body has a step down from the roof with a downward inclined passenger compartment's rear window to meet an almost horizontal trunk lid extending to the rear of the car.
source: Wikipedia

Last edited by KapilD : 29th October 2021 at 13:18.
KapilD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

It's official! Skoda Slavia to be unveiled on November 18

Skoda has officially announced that the Slavia mid-size sedan will be unveiled on November 18, 2021.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-image001-2.jpg

The Slavia is based on the MQB A0-IN platform and measures 4,541 mm in length, 1,752 mm in width and 1,487 mm in height, with a wheelbase of 2,651 mm.

The Slavia will be offered with two engine options. These include a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine that makes 113 BHP and 178 Nm and a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol motor producing 148 BHP and 250 Nm.

A 6-speed manual transmission will be offered as standard with both engines. The former will get a 6-speed automatic option, while a slick 7-speed DSG will be available with the 1.5L engine.

The Slavia is the second model under the VW Group's India 2.0 project. Next year, Volkswagen will also introduce a mid-size sedan based on the same platform.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th October 2021 at 13:59.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 21:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Skoda India ends the production of Rapid ahead of Slavia debut.

Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview-smartselect_20211029212251_twitter.jpg

Stocks will only be available until the recently launched Matte Edition has been sold out.

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks