Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:28   #121
Team-BHP Support
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 16,493
Thanked: 67,660 Times
Re: Skoda Rapidís production has ended, Slavia to replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Since the Slavia is based on MQB A0 platform and seems it's mostly derived from Polo Mk6, is there any chance we get features like these in the Skoda Slavia/VW Virtus as well? Especially the drive assist and cruise control are super impressive for a car in this class which maintain the lanes and automatically adjust the speed according to legal speeds marked on the road sides (or maybe they take help from the navigation data).
We would most likely get only regular cruise control, as in the Kushaq / Taigun.

The drive assist button just brings up a "Button without function" message on the MID.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:36   #122
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 769
Thanked: 1,279 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: Skoda Rapidís production has ended, Slavia to replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We would most likely get only regular cruise control, as in the Kushaq / Taigun.

The drive assist button just brings up a "Button without function" message on the MID.
So the button is there, probably someone will find a way to implement the drive assist since VAG are usually mod friendly. Though I am sure this is just going to satisfy the mod-adventure instincts of some curious fellas instead of serving any practical help on our marker-less highways with full of chaotic traffic.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:36   #123
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 213
Thanked: 486 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Loving Skoda/ VW aggressive product strategy and fearless approach. The camouflaged version looked super cool and with the new fabia look this will be the best looking car in the segment.

If something can revive this segment then it has to be a segment+ approach in engine / looks / quality & Slavia checks all 3. Shrinking of this segment was accelerated with marginal facelifts (even new gen city is improvement of over previous generation)

Credit to Skoda for this bold move, I hope Slavia picks up. Skoda is trying hard, there are short comings (Kushaq issues) but at-least they are aggressive, unlike Honda / Suzuki
Asoon is offline  
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:02   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 7,479
Thanked: 36,858 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Yet to be unwrapped Slavia

Quote:
Skoda Slavia effortlessly drives around the curvy Western Ghats, the gravel paths in Lonavala, and the smooth tarmac of the Western Express Highway

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd November 2021 at 11:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:04   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: --
Posts: 128
Thanked: 698 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
The video of the car is already out in Russia.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yxSjcjcNrhI&t=72s

Looks so much better than Rider and seems more apt for this segment of cars. Always found vento/fabia to be too small for its segment.
It doesn't get the virtual cockpit of the Taigun then? Also, it has 3 spoke wheel, rather than the current 2 spoke design of the new Skodas in India (I'd prefer 3 spoke to 2 actually).
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:41   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 67 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

It's funny that Skoda and all the bloggers are positioning even the car's visual details as a 'big reveal' when everything about it is available on the Skoda Russia website (only the engines here will differ and we know which ones they would be anyway)

https://www.skoda-avto.ru/models/rapid


Also the VW equivalent for this car (the new Vento) is called the Virtus, details of which can be seen on the Mexican website here
https://www.vw.com.mx/es/autos-suvs/virtus.html


I know Octavia is somewhat an object of desire for many of us on the forum but its current price tag makes it difficult to justify the purchase. I took looked at Slavia as a cheaper way to fulfil that wish but then... similarity between Slavia and Octavia doesn't extend beyond their looks. Just as Rapid is no substitute for Octavia, Slavia isn't either.

Slavia is comparable only with City, Verna, Yaris and not with Octavia or Civic.
ff1609 is offline  
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:42   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 451 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
It doesn't get the virtual cockpit of the Taigun then? Also, it has 3 spoke wheel, rather than the current 2 spoke design of the new Skodas in India (I'd prefer 3 spoke to 2 actually).
That YT video shows new-gen Russian Rapid. And Slavia is not Russian Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
It's funny that Skoda and all the bloggers are positioning even the car's visual details as a 'big reveal' when everything about it is available on the Skoda Russia website (only the engines here will differ and we know which ones they would be anyway)

https://www.skoda-avto.ru/models/rapid


Also the VW equivalent for this car (the new Vento) is called the Virtus, details of which can be seen on the Mexican website here
https://www.vw.com.mx/es/autos-suvs/virtus.html


I know Octavia is somewhat an object of desire for many of us on the forum but its current price tag makes it difficult to justify the purchase. I took looked at Slavia as a cheaper way to fulfil that wish but then... similarity between Slavia and Octavia doesn't extend beyond their looks. Just as Rapid is no substitute for Octavia, Slavia isn't either.

Slavia is comparable only with City, Verna, Yaris and not with Octavia or Civic.
slavia is NOT russian rapid as per Zac. It is widely expected to be based on the new-gen Fabia.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5176066 (Skoda Rapid replacement coming in 2021. Edit: Named Slavia)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd November 2021 at 13:40. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
WindRide is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:45   #128
BHPian
 
rAijin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 92
Thanked: 336 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Can we please stop taking potshots at or profiling people owning cars from Maruti and Hyundai?
With all due respect to all Maruti / Hyundai / Kia owners, the point said is the valid one. Maruti / Hyundai / Kia cars are not built for safety ( except arguably Ciaz and Brezza ). The test results of Swift and Baleno are out and they got a big 0 ( zero ). It is one thing to know the merits and demerits of each brand and another to turn a blind eye or unnecessarily justify their demerits.
Tata, Mahindra, VW, Skoda cars are any day a lot more safer than Maruti / Hyundai / Kia.
VW / Skoda have their own demerits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
PS : If the Kushaq / Taigun and Slavia get lesser than 4 stars then they deserve to get bashed too. Hope Skoda/Vw send them at the earliest for crash testing. Having driven both though and their claims of 30% increased structural integrity Iím confident of them getting a good score
+1 to that.
rAijin_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 14:01   #129
BHPian
 
nitkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 253
Thanked: 1,147 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
It is one thing to know the merits and demerits of each brand and another to turn a blind eye or unnecessarily justify their demerits. Tata, Mahindra, VW, Skoda cars are any day a lot more safer than Maruti / Hyundai / Kia. VW / Skoda have their own demerits.
Seems even you missed the point of my post. It is one thing to bash a brand when justified and quite another to openly judge/critic the owners for their choice of cars! Also, where's the data which shows VAG cars made in India, other than the Polo, are safe? The Euro NCAP safety ratings of CBU/CKD products like Jetta, Passat, etc. are irrelevant here! Let's call a spade a spade.
nitkel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:58   #130
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 20
Thanked: 33 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

one must take into consideration the point that slavia will be priced substantially higher as compared to rapid, then that has a potential to change the entire current narrative.
fnftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:24   #131
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 16,662 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Also, where's the data which shows VAG cars made in India, other than the Polo, are safe? The Euro NCAP safety ratings of CBU/CKD products like Jetta, Passat, etc. are irrelevant here! Let's call a spade a spade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Tata, Mahindra, VW, Skoda cars are any day a lot more safer than Maruti / Hyundai / Kia.
VW / Skoda have their own demerits.
Can we keep this debate on the other threads which are meant for it and keep this thread focused on the updates with regards to Slavia please? I somehow dont understand this excessive reference to GNCAP ratings all over the place. Yes 'some' manufacturers have made use of GNCAP to give 'some' of their cars a rating. GNCAP is a 'charitable' organisation working for their campaign for safer cars in India. They are not a legislative or a homologatory body which every manufacturer is obliged to send cars to. And at the same time, they are not a fully sincere body who will pick up every car sold in the country and publish ratings. Hence, in their carefully picked basket of cars they have proven that India has very unsafe cars being sold by few manufacturers. Agreed.

The ratings of GNCAP can be definitely taken as one of the considerations when someone is in the market to buy a car. But at the same time, it is absurd to expect every manufacturer to send every car of theirs and get it tested by GNCAP. That can only happen through one place, ie in the Indian homologation process. That is where every manufacturer and every model must appear to be able to be sold in the country. So if Skoda does not want to sponsor cars for GNCAP, then they have every right to do so. But expecting them to do so and calling them out for not doing is taking things to extreme levels. Lets keep those debates elsewhere please.
audioholic is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:37   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 219 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnftech View Post
one must take into consideration the point that slavia will be priced substantially higher as compared to rapid, then that has a potential to change the entire current narrative.
It will be interesting to see how they price the car. If they price is between Kushaq and Octavia, then it wont garner volumes. If the price it below Kushaq, then it could potentially kindle the sedan volumes. Need to see what is Skoda's thoughts
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 22:17   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 110 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
It will be interesting to see how they price the car. If they price is between Kushaq and Octavia, then it wont garner volumes. If the price it below Kushaq, then it could potentially kindle the sedan volumes...
Not sure why a lot of members here consider generating high volume as the primary aim of any car manufacturer (This is a general comment and not directed to the original poster above). Sometimes, luxury brands are exempted, but even there, similar comments can be seen!

Whenever any new car is announced/released, the general expectation seems to be that this should beat Maruti's numbers! So, the threads are filled with suggestion to the manufacturers to add this feature or release X variant at Y price so that they can "set the sale charts on fire"!!! And, once the feature list and prices are revealed, there is a lot of "heat" generated in these forums

We need to understand that different companies are going to adopt different approaches to the target numbers based on their capabilities, vision, roadmap etc. Some may want to play the price game instead of volume game and some may choose either of these for some models and other approach for other models. They may not accept these publicly (and speak of high numbers during the 'sales pitch"), but, internally, they may have different target numbers and will adopt their sales strategies accordingly.
TheWanderer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 07:56   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 88
Thanked: 222 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Going by Skoda's brand positioning policy, I don't think they will price Slavia less than Kushaq. As there are no good Sedans between 15 - 21 Lakhs, my hunch is that Skoda will be targeting this segment. The design elements are evident from the leaked sketch of Slavia and it's footprint from the camouflaged videos/ images. Going by these I won't be surprised if they price their top variant close to 20-21 lakhs ex showroom.

IMHO it's a bold and welcome move by Skoda to still bet on sedans. If there is a car manufacturer, who can revive sedans, it has to be Skoda in current times. Though SUVs give a different benefit of driving, when it comes to spirited driving, sedans always give a high IMHO.

Last edited by K.grg : 5th November 2021 at 07:57. Reason: Spell check
K.grg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 08:22   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 67,015
Thanked: 267,533 Times
Re: Skoda Slavia First Drive & Preview

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts please. Kindly discuss JUST the Slavia. Thanks!

@ BHPians: Please report (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality) any further OT posts.
GTO is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks