Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 16:49   #46
BANNED

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
I dont think I get anything more from an Ertiga that is not offered by the Carens. The Ertiga ZXi+ costs 11.29L whereas the 1.5NA Prestige is cheaper by 60K and offers more air bags, 4 disc brakes and definitely more space in the 3rd row. The fit and finish in the Carens Prestige is also just better. Only things I will miss out are cruise control and ACC, both of which are not essentials. Plus, the Carens looks better than Eritga in my view.
Your mind and head are hell-bent on Carens. Go ahead ahead and book it. Otherwise, every time you see a Carens, you will regret

Quote:
The SCROSS Zeta is the only other one. I plan to check out all 3 in person (Carens 1.5NA, new Brezza and current SCROSS) and take a call by August.
I think you can pre-book the upcoming Brezza. The prices may go up by 1L once it is launched, but will still be worth of it, I guess.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th April 2022 at 17:19.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 16:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Your mind and head are hell-bent on Carens. Go ahead ahead and book it. Otherwise, every time you see a Carens, you will regret
I wont deny that to be honest, but its more the head than the heart actually. I was one of the few who pre-booked the XL6 before the launch after the steep price hike of the Carens, which in my view is daylight robbery. But the price increase of the XL6 made me re-evaluate and hence the reasoning above. By the way, I already have a booking for the Carens 1.5NA variant but with 47-48 weeks waiting, so thats more like December 2022.

No matter how I look at it, for anyone in the market for a 5 seater (or occasional 7 seater) with max budget of 11Lacs, the Carens 1.5NA would be a top contender and continues to be pure VFM. Does anyone see a flaw in this reasoning?

I suppose those who are insistent on safety ratings will opt for the Brezza or XUV300 but the boot space in the XUV300 is a severe limitation. Cant do a proper airport run.

What other options exist? None in my view. The SCROSS Zeta is the only other one. I plan to check out all 3 in person (Carens 1.5NA, new Brezza and current SCROSS) and take a call by August.

Last edited by akannath : 27th April 2022 at 17:02.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 17:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I wont deny that to be honest, but its more the head than the heart actually. I was one of the few who pre-booked the XL6 before the launch after the steep price hike of the Carens, which in my view is daylight robbery. But the price increase of the XL6 made me re-evaluate and hence the reasoning above. By the way, I already have a booking for the Carens 1.5NA variant but with 47-48 weeks waiting, so thats more like December 2022.

No matter how I look at it, for anyone in the market for a 5 seater (or occasional 7 seater) with max budget of 11Lacs, the Carens 1.5NA would be a top contender and continues to be pure VFM. Does anyone see a flaw in this reasoning?

I suppose those who are insistent on safety ratings will opt for the Brezza or XUV300 but the boot space in the XUV300 is a severe limitation. Cant do a proper airport run.

What other options exist? None in my view. The SCROSS Zeta is the only other one. I plan to check out all 3 in person (Carens 1.5NA, new Brezza and current SCROSS) and take a call by August.
If XUV300 was one of the options, then are you considering Kiger or Magnite? They both come with better safety ratings, many creature comforts and a bigger boot.
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 19:35   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzdm View Post
If XUV300 was one of the options, then are you considering Kiger or Magnite? They both come with better safety ratings, many creature comforts and a bigger boot.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, Kiger and Magnite where in my original shortlist (posted on another thread), but the learned members of the forum didnt think much of it. I was suggested the XUV300 or SCROSS instead. For a 5 seater, I wouldnt want to compromise on 2nd row seating for 3 and this may be where Magnite/Kiger suffers.
Old 27th April 2022, 19:53   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices in Bangalore:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-screenshot-20220427-194802.jpg

BTW did anyone notice, 0-100 timings of the New XL6 AT is a slow ~18 seconds! Initially I thought it was a mistake on Overdrive's part, but then few other malyalam reviewers did the sprint in around 17.xx seconds.

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-screenshot-20220427-195212.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
BTW did anyone notice, 0-100 timings of the New XL6 AT is a slow ~18 seconds! Initially I thought it was a mistake on Overdrive's part, but then few other malyalam reviewers did the sprint in around 17.xx seconds.
To make things worse, old AT seem to have done it close to 12 seconds. First Maruti shot themselves by missing diesel option, now it's their turn to ruin it again with anemic NA engines they need Hybrid/turbo options soon if they need to survive.

giri1.8 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
To make things worse, old AT seem to have done it close to 12 seconds.
Oh yes, I quite liked the 4AT of my brother's XL6, and dare I say, better than the MT I have for most purposes. The only downside it had was that the GB seems ever active in hunting gears and it was quite easy to confuse it if the accelerator pedal input was varied quickly. Based on my driving, my MT does the 0-100 sprint in around 12 seconds while the 4AT did it in around 13. It only lacked in the initial launch where MT gave a better control.

Agreed the XL6 is not intended for such purposes, but that doesn't mean the engine should become so lethargic.
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:59   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

What a perfect car for families :
- dualjet engine (frugal fuel consumption),
- 6AT + paddle shifters,
- better tuned suspension,
- cooled seats,
- UV+IR filtering glass,
- 4 airbags,
- ESP, hill-hold etc,
- TPMS, 360 camera,
- plus all kinds of HU connectivity stuff.

Only negatives that people can hold against it will be -
- no sunroof,
- 137Nm torque in a 6 seater, which in all likelihood might struggle on steep ghats or undivided highways with full load,
- lack of snob value, it a maruti.
Other than that, with maruti service network clubbed with all of the above features/traits, simply makes it a hands down winner for families with more than 4 people. Maruti knows what the Indian customer wants and they do a stellar job when bringing updates. They have upped their game and responded well to the Koreans.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:06   #54
BHPian

Damn. I'm getting a mileage of 8KMPL in Mumbai and 14KMPL on highways. How do u manage to get these figures? Any tips? Should I get my car checked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
FE is the last thing you ought to worry about in the XL6. Even the 4AT delivers upwards of 19kmpl if driven with a light foot in moderate highway traffic (cruise control set to 90kmph and light traffic means easy 20-21kmpl). Do keep in mind that the 4AT was actually rated by ARAI for only 17.xx kmpl. The 6AT rated for 20.xx kmpl so you could imagine the sort of FE it can deliver if driven correctly. What you need to worry about is the lethargic engine which often translates into carefully planned overtakes on single roads. So I would definitely ask you to take a thorough test-drive of the vehicle in that respect before deciding anything.

Source of the above: 2 years and 35k Kms of personal experience with 4AT XL6.

P.P.S: Regarding your doubts about the 6AT, do watch Faisal Khan's video (the driving section specifically). Ought to address all your doubts about the transmission's characteristics.
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:44   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There's a comparison embargo until 02 May, so we'll only be able to answer questions along those lines at a later point in time.
I am not in the market for either car, and neither appeals to me much. Hence I have not searched much on either of these cars.

So with the disclaimer out of the way:
Arent the details of both these cars out there in the open ? Anyone could do a theoretical comparison of the two cars. The only embargo I can think of is video comparo's. Is that what they are referring to ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...The only embargo I can think of is video comparos. Is that what they are referring to ?
Not presuming anything on their behalf, but a handful of journalists not making the comparison for an additional week doesn't mean prospective customers won't.

I noticed an unregistered XL6 being driven for what looked like a TD earlier today. The Nexa and Kia showrooms in my area are close by, so I'd think prospective customers, ones actually putting money down for one or the other, are making the comparison already.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th April 2022 at 22:16.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:20   #57
BANNED

Customer: "Why Maruti, why you have brought-in a lazy 6-speed automatic? Your old 4-speed was much better!"

Maruti: "If you want a relaxed driving without the hassles of shifting gears, we think you are a lazy non-enthusiast fellow. And most probably looking for FE also. Go with the auto mode.

Or, if you want some quick shifting and sprite overtaking, we think you are an 'enthusiastic and involving' driver. Put the gear shifter into M mode and use the new paddle shifters we have provided. Or just buy the 5-speed manual version.

We at Maruti are not in a position to give you the convenience of an automatic, price of an AMT, reliability of a TC, performance of a sports car and fuel efficiency of a bike all at the same time. This is the best combination we can provide. For the same reason, we are providing AMTs in lower segment cars."

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th April 2022 at 22:25.
romeomidhun is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 00:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, I quite liked the 4AT of my brother's XL6, and dare I say, better than the MT I have for most purposes. The only downside it had was that the GB seems ever active in hunting gears and it was quite easy to confuse it if the accelerator pedal input was varied quickly. Based on my driving, my MT does the 0-100 sprint in around 12 seconds while the 4AT did it in around 13. It only lacked in the initial launch where MT gave a better control.

Agreed the XL6 is not intended for such purposes, but that doesn't mean the engine should become so lethargic.
Whoa! That’s quite a difference between the 4AT and the 6AT! Makes me glad I got the former now. I used to think the 4AT was slow compared to the DSG in my Dad’s Vento. At the reported acceleration figures in the 6AT, I’d want to kill myself!
Old 28th April 2022, 01:04   #59
BHPian

Brilliant review covering the key differences between the outgoing and the refreshed lines. Disappointed to read that the engine-gearbox combo is significantly sluggish compared to the former. 18 Sec to 100, seriously?!

I wonder if Maruti will tune the Brezza and S-Cross to cater to the performance seeking!
Old 28th April 2022, 09:50   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sheesh! That's as slow as the 1.2 N/A Altroz DCT
PrasannaDhana is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed