Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 17:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
1. Combining the positives of XL6 and Ertiga, Maruti can launch a 2 + 3 + 1 seater XL6 with black interiors, sunroof and 6-speed auto. Making the second row as bench will give more flexibility for passengers, while third row with a single seat will give enough space for luggage.

2. Not sure about the new K15, but I've driven the 2014 K12 Swift and new K12 DualJet in such roads. Yes, it is tuned for mileage - nowhere closer to the original K12 that came with Ritz in terms of performance. But overtaking was not much a problem for me as I usually downshift 2 gears when overtaking (I like to complete the overtaking process in as less time as possible). If you are so lazy even for a single downshift while overtaking and want to overtake in the same driving gear, then you may land in trouble.
1. Maurti is giving an increasingly rare combination of Torque Converter with a petrol engine. Giving more options with same powertrain will certainly get them more numbers.

2. We had Baleno 1.6 which had peak torque at 3000 rpm, torque curve was flat. It gave practical grunt, one which was joy to use. K-series didnt have that grunt. We had K10 Wagon R with factory fitted CNG, more power than what chassis could handle, but same concern, one has to work hard. K series engine are gem, K10 dry weight was 47 kg., lower than G10 at 70 kg or so and Fiat Uno's FIRE 1.0 unit was one kg less than G10. Amazing it is, but some how the tuning is not practical. Having driven K10 and K12 equipped cars for over 1,00,000 kms. (combined), I can say the driver has to work hard. No doubt, such gearshifts are rewarding, quick progress and fun too, but not everytime I am in mood to have fun or work out through gears. This also impacts fuel efficiency. Its not about laziness to drop down two gears, but given very dense traffic including two wheelers, three wheelers and overloaded HCV, repeatedly working gears to maintain moderate average speeds over a long distance journey adds to fatigue. I have done several Vadodara-Udaipur-Vadodara, Vadodara-Amreli-Vadodara, Vadodara-Rajkot-Vadodara and a few Vadodara-Somnath-Vadodara trips in K12 swift and can reassure that Maruti giving more teeth in mid range and compromising some top end grunt will help in getting a more relaxed driving over long distances.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:58   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
I think UV cut glasses cuts UV rays from light spectrum only and it doesn't change color like day/night eyeglasses. They appear slightly darker than normal glasses but it stays the same whether under sun or not.
What you are saying is absolutely correct and that is what UV cut glass means. My friend owns a Baleno and some how I have observed the glasses appear much darker when the car is parked for long in bright sunlight.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:47   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankhajit.das View Post
Now, I am on the lookout for a good dashcam. Any recommendations?
You can buy DDPAI Z40 dual channel (front and rear) with GPS along with hardwired kit. This is the maximum possible combination. It's supercapacitor based and still alive for last one year. My car remains parked under the sun from 8 AM to 5:30 PM in NCR summer and working good.

Whatever you choose, buy supercapacitor based unit only. You can refer to the dashcam thread for details. I have uploaded a number of raw videos in YouTube for sample/ reference. Links are provided in that thread.
RijuC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 18:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankhajit.das View Post
Took delivery of my XL6 Zeta MT yesterday!

Upgraded from Alto K10 2015. That was one rev-happy monster, I had many fun rides with it. Overtakes at 80 on a 2 lane highway in heavy downpour, didn't feel insecure one bit. Amazing FE, it costed us less than one flight ticket for a Hyderabad - Bangalore trip each way. However, the 8-9 hour trips were taking a toll on my lower back and knee, so decided to get a more powerful and comfortable car with higher seating

On stock tires for now, will likely get Michelin tires around 20k kms or so. Will get the reverse parking camera later, as the accessories guy said that the old XL6 camera is apparently not compatible with the new one, need your opinion on this. Interior styling kit also, sometime later.

Now, I am on the lookout for a good dashcam. Any recommendations?
Well, look who is here. I used to be your former classmate in college. Congratulations on your upgrade. Hope to see regular updates from you in this thread as well as if possible try to create an ownership review of your vehicle. And keep clocking kilometres whilst driving safe.

Regarding dashcam, if possible go with the 70mai Pro Plus+ A500S Dual Channel Dashcam. I've been using their dashcam since 2020 and have no complaints whatsoever. It accepts 128GB card without issues.

Regards,
Subhra Mallick

P.S.- Regarding tyres. Michelins will be a tough find for your tyre size. Try Continental UC6 or Yokohama Blue Earth AE-51. Both are used by my very close acquaintances and both have praises for these two respective tyre choices.

P.P.S- When it comes to XL6, you cannot beat the information available with Leoshashi. Once you've completed 25 posts and become a BHPian, ping him, he will be able to help with a lot of things Maruti related.

Last edited by tacho9000 : 11th May 2022 at 18:56.
tacho9000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 00:52   #125
BHPian

How are the stock tyres?
Old 12th May 2022, 09:04   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
What you are saying is absolutely correct and that is what UV cut glass means. My friend owns a Baleno and some how I have observed the glasses appear much darker when the car is parked for long in bright sunlight.
So the question here is, the UV cut glasses in Maruti cars are not UV cut glasses? Or are we misreading them as UV cut glasses? Quite confused here.
Old 12th May 2022, 09:16   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
So the question here is, the UV cut glasses in Maruti cars are not UV cut glasses? Or are we misreading them as UV cut glasses? Quite confused here.
UV cut glasses are just naturally tinted glasses from the factory. They have a green tint to them.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...cut-glass.html (Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass)

They are very much UV cut glasses.

What you guys are talking about is photochromatic lenses that get darker as sun light hits the glass. That would be too expensive on a car.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:44   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
My friend owns a Baleno and some how I have observed the glasses appear much darker when the car is parked for long in bright sunlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What you guys are talking about is photochromatic lenses that get darker as sun light hits the glass. That would be too expensive on a car.
Just trying to read the above two comments combined. If the first comment is correct, why is a UV cut glass getting darker under bright sunlight or is that the behaviour of a UV cut glass by any chance. Maruti using an expensive glass is highly unlikely. Is this something due to the (low) quality of UV cut glass being used by Maruti.

The above doubt becomes obsolete, if the observation in the first quoted comment is not correct.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:48   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Just trying to read the above two comments combined. If the first comment is correct, why is a UV cut glass getting darker under bright sunlight or is that the behaviour of a UV cut glass by any chance. Maruti using an expensive glass is highly unlikely. Is this something due to the (low) quality of UV cut glass being used by Maruti.

The above doubt becomes obsolete, if the observation in the first quoted comment is not correct.
It does not get darker. The glass clearly mentions the fixed tint level which is 70% VLT on it.

The feeling maybe that it gets darker as it looks very green from some angles.

It's darker than the older baleno I guess as well which was maybe 75-80% VLT.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:21   #130
BHPian

Apart from the UV cut side glasses in New XL6, it also has a IR Cut Front Windshield. Any feedback on how it fares with respect to plain glasses would be helpful.

By the way, I have booked a " Splendid Silver Alpha Plus MT " yesterday and waiting period quoted was 8 to 10 weeks. However, the SA said some top variants might come early also.
Old 13th May 2022, 11:05   #131

What's the door courtesy lamp mentioned in the brochure. Can somebody post a picture of that. The aceesories brochure mentions a logo projector lamp for 1349rs.
Old 14th May 2022, 00:57   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreragt6 View Post
What's the door courtesy lamp mentioned in the brochure. Can somebody post a picture of that. The aceesories brochure mentions a logo projector lamp for 1349rs.
I think the door courtesy lamp is same as the puddle lamp attached at the bottom of the doors.
auditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 15:41   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_135637.jpg

Drove the 2022 XL6 for a good 25km: Being a lazy sunday, requested my RM for a TD if possible and he obliged. Took the car to Ring road via the busy city roads, and thus got to experience it in every driving condition.

What I loved:

-Ventilated seats: The most effective ones I have experienced till now. Such a boon in our conditions. I wouldn't comment over longevity or ease of maintaining those perforated seats, but this feature is one which I loved the most. The last car I drove with ventilated seats was Seltos, and they appeared just a gimmick compared to the ones on XL6.

-NVH is vastly improved. Not sure if its the glasses or rubber seals, since the body and melt sheets are exactly same as older car. But you no longer get feeling of having a window open. Damping/Sound insulation is no longer a necessity.

-Engine is supremely refined and muted: The famous K15B drone on accelerating is gone and people who disliked that sound, will be very happy with this new engine. When my XL6 was new, it had slight vibrations when engine was revved, not so in this new car. More on the engine in dislikes section.

-Looks good: MPVs aren't supposed to win any beauty contests, but the new XL6 appears attractive. The only thing I didn't like was the huge chrome grill. Everything else is a huge improvement. New 16 inch rims look rich.

-Ride quality: This is further improved over the older model. It no longer shivers when passed over road reflectors at city speeds.

-Sound quality is improved compared to older car's stock audio.

-AC effectiveness is improved, thanks to new UV and IR cut glasses.

-Mileage: The car had 200 km on the odo but was easily managing 18kmpl within city limits where my XL6 struggles to give 16, despite being 21,000km old. This one will give killer mileage and will not let people miss the diesel.

What's mediocre:

-360 Cam is a gimmick and not as useful as say the ones on Seltos or Civic. Pic quality and resolution leave a lot to be desired.

What's bad:

-Engine: Huge huge disappointment compared to K15B unit. Starting off the line, it seems eager than older engine but that's it. The pull vanishes and all you get is a muted response. Till 80kmph and within city limits, it's liveable. But someone who has driven the older engine, will be thoroughly disappointed.

The tune is heavily biased towards efficiency and its evident. The engine is also far less eager to revv than what my K15B was at similar odo(assuming the engine hasn't opened up). Tried revving in first two gears, the way it goes dead in second is appalling. Tried going till 5000 rpm in third, and it genuinely felt like a waste of time.

I also noticed that the boost time from SHVS is increased compared to mine, thanks to the increased capacity of Li Ion battery. But even with that boost, the engine response is disappointing. Whatever iota of fun element the older car had, is entirely gone now.

Other points:

1. GC has surely increased, and there is a small step up now compared to older car with stock wheels. Going by Indonesian spec, the GC should be 200mm now.

2. AUX port is gone from the top models:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_141938.jpg

3. Alloys look sharp:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142140.jpg

4. TPMS valve:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142202.jpg

5. Jack has been changed compared to older model:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142221.jpg

6. Factory fitted spoiler has more mounting points than ones they sell from accessories which has only 2:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142232.jpg

7. Nice to have Shark fin Antenna:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142251.jpg

8. Armrest portion is no longer hard plastic like Older XL6, has a proper padded soft touch to it:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142457.jpg

9. Puddle lamps/Courtesy lamps below front doorpad:

2022 Maruti XL6 Facelift Review-20220515_142516.jpg

In short, they have improved on everything, except the engine which is a disappointment now, if you have driven the old one extensively.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 15th May 2022 at 16:10.
Leoshashi is offline   (90) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 22:16   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

What's bad:

-Engine: Huge huge disappointment compared to K15B unit. Starting off the line, it seems eager than older engine but that's it. The pull vanishes and all you get is a muted response. Till 80kmph and within city limits, it's liveable. But someone who has driven the older engine, will be thoroughly disappointed.

In short, they have improved on everything, except the engine which is a disappointment now, if you have driven the old one extensively.

Regards,
Shashi
I had a quick test drive for only 4 kms, but I felt the engine doesn't support quick overtaking as only sound of higher revs is heard, but no surge in pull when pedal is pushed hard. I doubt how it will perform in single road overtaking especially in hills. Will definitely need a proper long test drive.

Having said that the 20kmpl mileage won't come without some compromise.
jthomas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 10:22   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Would a remap fix the lethargic engine response? I am assuming Maruti deliberately tuned the engine to be a muted performer.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed