Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Thank you for such a detailed review of the Meridian. As an existing Jeep Compass owner, I was really disappointed when Jeep announced Meridian. I felt like an extended Compass will not cut the competition like the mighty Fortuner and or even the discontinued Endeavor.

This is like dejavu, I initially had TUV300 and Mahindra came with elongated version and called it TUV300 Plus which was a disaster and a huge flop. I believe M&M has discontinued it? I now have a Compass and Jeep comes with elongated Compass (no matter what Jeep management thinks, common public will still call it extended Compass).

The 3rd row is a joke, even children will not be comfortable there. The 2.0 Diesel engine from Compass will not cut it. They should have gone with the 3.0 liter Diesel engine. No petrol engine option is like shooting themselves in their foot. Overall really underwhelming attempt by Jeep India. Please bring in Renegade to boost your dealerships and market %.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:31   #47
BHPian

Super review.

But my reading of the car is still the same.. It’s a 7 seater Compass. As of yesterday they were unable to fix my rattling noise issue, despite flying down someone from the technical team from Mumbai to Bangalore to analyse my car. No luck. They dismantled the hood and tried testing.. they still have the issue.

Sincerely hope Meridian doesn’t have the issue. Aren’t they developing cars for decades now? How difficult will it be to fix an issue like rattling? May be in countries like US they don’t come across this problem due to their road infrastructure. But that’s what localising means to an extent. Test your product for local conditions. “Jeep” brand won’t kill rattling noise. Only engineering will.
sheelapratosh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

I find the package good enough. Granted, the Fortuner is still the king of the powertrain. But there is a segment that values a refined cabin experience and finesse. For example, whenever my family travels in my Fortuner for a long journey, at some point in time, there will be discussions about how the car's interior is not a match for our previous Hexa. In a side-by-side comparison, there are no features lacking in Fortuner, but it simply does not have the aesthetic appeal and finesse of Jeep's cabin. And this will be important for a set of customers. My folks don't consider Fortuner an upgrade over Hexa, but I am sure if they see the Meridian's interior, they will consider it as an upgrade. Well, at least till the time the infamous rattles make their presence felt.

Just to clarify, I still wouldn't trade my Fortuner for anything else. I am addicted to the 200hp engine and the peace of mind because of their quality control. All I am saying is that I can see a segment that will value what Merdian offers more than what Fortuner offers. And in my book, Jeep's brand sits higher than Skoda and VW.

And I disagree with the argument that Meridian does not bring much value over Compass since the third row is cramped. The third row in most cars is just to tick off a checklist rather than an actual use case. In my 40k with Hexa, I have used the third row 3 times. In my 7k with Fortuner, I have used it once. But I still would not consider a 5-seater because this allows me the flexibility of carrying everything my toddler wants on her journey and having a full house during the once in a blue moon short-distance journey. I am sure there are many who uses the third row every day and can't compromise there, but my point is there is another segment like me, who just want it there to tick a box.

To summarize, I think this fits right into the space vacated by Endeavour 2.0. Average engine, 4x4, and a graceful interior.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd May 2022 at 09:56.
padmrajravi is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 12:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the lovely review guys. I have been seeing plenty of the Meridian mules over the last months, so have seen how it has evolved over the days, into the final product.

Of course there are a lot of points that are sour - the laughable 3rd row, same power as the Compass & customer cars using that engine etc. People might find the looks ugly as well. The first thought I had when I saw one was - "Ah, Jeep Hexa!" But then - I like the Hexa as well - so the MPVish looks were not going to be any problem for me.

Personally - I like this one. Some of the pictures out on the internet make it look quite awkward thanks to wide-angle lens usage. In close company - this is one handsome looking car. Just love the simple straight lines and high quality looks on parts all round. I have been a sucker for the looks of the Compass since it arrived & that continues with the Meridian.

I must say these twins must be the AWDs/4x4s with minimum wheel articulations out there . But then - I think the cars are more than capable of doing what will usually be asked of them.

Would I buy a Meridian - absolutely not. The 3rd row is useless - especially in my family where the runt of the litter is also 6ft . I'd always buy the Compass instead. At the same time - I don't hate the Meridian. Love it as it is. Will always admire it when one passes by. I'm never a fan of 7 seaters. If I ever buy one - I'll buy it for the luggage space after permanently folding away the last row. I don't imagine myself ever cramming so many people together in a single car. Not even for a family vacation.

Rating the review 5 stars as always.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd May 2022 at 12:54.
Reinhard is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 14:52   #50
BHPian

The biggest problem with the Meridian is not whether its a better SUV than Fortuner, which it is in most parameters - build, ride and handling, on road dynamics, equipment, quality, looks(subjective).

Even if you compare with Endeavour and Kodiaq, both of which are fantastic (though different) cars and are better than Fortuner, they have poor 3rd row seating. The main problem here is the 2nd row seating which is not a great improvement over the Compass both in space and comfort which the Kodiaq provides. They should have given the 2nd row seat sliding option and a touch more recline adjustment for more space and comfort and definitely more performance.

I hope they price it sensibly at 2.5-3lakh maximum over Compass spec for spec.
Because the biggest competitor for the Meridian is going to be the Compass, not Fortuner, considering it does not offer anything more for me to upgrade over the Compass.

Last edited by spkrnh : 2nd May 2022 at 14:54.
spkrnh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 15:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
..I don't imagine myself ever cramming so many people together in a single car. Not even for a family vacation.
7 people in an on a long journey (read with luggage) is not at all comfortable in any MUV/SUV.
Most adults who are asked to take the last row will feel offended
Except the Carnival which has a proper(spacious) third row, all other MUV's third row is just a compromise fit for short commutes.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
But there is a segment that values a refined cabin experience and finesse. My folks don't consider Fortuner an upgrade over Hexa, but I am sure if they see the Meridian's interior, they will consider it as an upgrade. Well, at least till the time the infamous rattles make their presence felt.
And I disagree with the argument that Meridian does not bring much value over Compass since the third row is cramped. The third row in most cars is just to tick off a checklist rather than an actual use case.
To summarize, I think this fits right into the space vacated by Endeavour 2.0. Average engine, 4x4, and a graceful interior.
While Interiors are much better, most reviews have pointed out that quality degrades as you get back. The plushness is restricted to front seats only.
The third rows of Body on Frame cars are decent if not spacious(Gloster is). I have travelled multiple times in third row over long distances and even though not very comfortably, I being 5'10 atleast could adjust and sit for 300KM. Doesnot look to be the case with Meridian, someone with 5'4 was finding 3rd row cramped. Add to that all the extra width on paper, people found narrower than Fortuner inside!

The major problem for Meridian is not 7 seaters, but Compass itself. If the premium for Meridian is around 2L, people will lap it up, but if Jeep is expecting premium of 5L, buyers will think twice to pay that much premium for extra boot as the extra seats are just namesake.
PrideRed is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice review guys. As usual good attention to all the detail.

The Meridian might just be a game changer for Jeep. Footfalls for the Meridian might just convert to Compass sales.

Also, I am assuming that the FWD AT might be available at a great price, and might sell well.

The FWD AT if brought to the Compass will do wonders for its volumes.

I wonder if the gearbox will be better than on the 4*4 as it frees up an additional gear. Experts any thoughts on this ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 2nd May 2022 at 17:55.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find the package good enough.
Agree with most of your points there. Moreover, availability of 4x2 AT is a masterstroke by Jeep. On a lighter note - when Gloster can sell, anything can

Quote:
Well, let's wait for the pricing to be announced before we pass that verdict!
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:24   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review Suhaas and Sujai!

@ Sujai, you got the delivery of the Compass and opportunity to review Meridian at the right time

From what is mentioned in this review, it just looks like an extended version of Compass. Also, since this is based on Compass, we can’t expect much to be different.

They could have tuned it for more power to differentiate Meridian from Compass. A two-seater configuration with sliding option for the middle row would’ve been great too. For the ‘go anywhere’ tagline they talk so much about, they should have given AT tyres as an option at the least. Also, wonder if the engine guard is still plastic or they took the feedback from Compass owners and have come up with a metal guard.

Good to see that there is an option for AT without 4x4.

As usual, pricing is going to be very important. If they price it closer to Compass, then many prospective Compass customers might move to Meridian considering it as a flexible 5/7 seater with a bigger boot + reclining option in the second row. Pricing it far from an already overpriced Compass might be a recipe for disaster.

Price comparison between Compass AT 4x4 Vs Meridian AT 4x2 will be interesting as people who don't want 4x4 will consider Meridian AT 4x2 for sure.
arun_josie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 18:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

If someone buys this, he will be paying 8-10 Lakhs extra over Compass (OTR - just a guess) and in return what one get or loses -
1 Cramped 3rd row seat which is hardly usable, not a true 7 seater.
2 Less boot space if using 3 rows.
3 Ride and handling compromised due to extra length over compass.
4 Looks same as compass but loses SUV looks due to 3rd row seating.
5 Same power as compass which will be less due to increased size and weight.

Overall there are hardly any benefits for buyer for extra money he paying. Am I missing something?
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:30   #57
BHPian

Unfortunately, Meridian doesn't tick any of the boxes right.
A huge disappointment though.

Again Meridian is no alternative to Fortuner/Gloster. However, it may be considered as an alternative to Kodiaq based on few fronts.

Jeep's bad move this time such that probably we may start to count the days of Jeep in India.
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:12   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Meridian Bookings Open as It Enters Production.

Jeep Meridian Review-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2022 at 21:16.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:41   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Overall, I think it is a great package and alternative to the Fortuner for someone who doesn't need a body on frame hard core truck based platform. However, I wish they had done a few things differently namely:

1) Kept the 170bhp/ 380 NM Torque Tune of the Jeep Commander (Brazil Spec). I don't understand why they had to downgrade the Torque for the Indian version. Given that it is meant to be positioned above the Compass, they should have retained the Brazilian spec of the engine.

2) They must offer paddle or sport mode.

Other than these, I think it is a great package.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear Review on 4*2AT Limited Trim.

This guy compares it in Safari and Alcazar territory on the pricing front. Not sure if Jeep will go down that route as it may canabalise the Compass.

Like I said in my previous post , Compass 4*2 AT at mid spec will do wonders for Jeep Volumes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks