Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 14:09   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Meridian Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
That can't be acceptable, let alone good. The Compass has quite a cozy backseat and having the Meridian feel the same, is practically barely any car over the Compass. Identical interior + similar second row + close to unusable third row, where is the space utilisation at all?

Also, given that it is to fall in a similar price bracket to the Gloster, as a package how do you think it shapes up in comparison?
The Compass' back seat is pretty tight for a 6-footer like me. If there are 6-footers sitting up front, the back seat is not going to be comfortable for me, especially if I am sharing it with another 6-footer. My knees would be right up against the seat-backs.

The Meridian on the other hand is somewhat OK. Two 6-footers can sit one behind the other, with a little wiggle-room, but only a little. The problem is largely for the 5th passenger / 3rd passenger in the 2nd row. While the cabin is wider than the Compass, it's only marginally wider.

The Gloster, Fortuner and Meridian are very different cars and would appeal to very different customers. It just so happens that they are all priced similarly.

Personally, I would get the Meridian over the Gloster or the Fortuner, because I prefer a SUV that provides a driving-experience that is sedan-like and not ladder-frame like.

The Gloster is extremely spacious yes, but it does not appeal to me at all. And it does not appear to have appealed to many either, considering that it has barely sold thus far.

The Fortuner will continue to sell in large numbers. The Meridian will occupy the space left vacant by the Endeavour.

People in the market for a Kodiaq or Tiguan are more likely to consider the Meridian. I don't think a potential Gloster / Fortuner customer would give the Meridian more than a second look.
suhaas307 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 09:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
People in the market for a Kodiaq or Tiguan are more likely to consider the Meridian. I don't think a potential Gloster / Fortuner customer would give the Meridian more than a second look.
Spot on! As you rightly said, the options available today in the Indian market for a 7-seater premium SUV are quite different from each other, with price bracket being the only common factor.

I also agree that the Meridian seems to be a good midway option between the Kodiaq and the Fortuner. Now waiting for the price reveal!
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 22:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My only real grouse with it, apart from the obvious lack of features and the tentatively high proposed price tag (it's an epidemic now, with all new cars) is the fact that the middle row feels not too different from the Compass - which essentially means 3 in the middle row will be a squeeze. The exterior dimensions simply do not translate to interior room. And that, in my opinion, is the only real major issue with the Meridian. Even the 3rd row being tight is forgivable, because 3rd rows are generally tight in most SUVs unless it's a Kia Carnival or a Toyota Vellfire.

If Jeep prices this 10 lakh over the Compass (variant for variant), we may have a DOA product, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
That can't be acceptable, let alone good. The Compass has quite a cozy backseat and having the Meridian feel the same, is practically barely any car over the Compass. Identical interior + similar second row + close to unusable third row, where is the space utilisation at all?

Also, given that it is to fall in a similar price bracket to the Gloster, as a package how do you think it shapes up in comparison?
Exactly my thoughts. I wonder if this will be the Alcazar moment for Jeep? I don't see much going for the Meridian over the Compass which in itself caters only to a niche set of buyers. This doesn't have the image and reputation that the Fortuner has built till now either.

On top of this, I do expect the Compass to be more adept at tackling the tougher stuff being a more compact machine. Then, I wonder really if there's a convincing answer Jeep can give to the question "why should I buy this over a Compass?"

Frankly speaking, a price premium of over 4 lakhs over the Compass in my opinion will make it DOA. And looking towards all the hints that Jeep has given about their "rivals", this would be priced in the Fortuner ballpark.
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 11:38   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Here’s a glimpse of the Jeep Meridian Media Drive Experience.

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 01:13   #95
BHPian

Landmark Jeep Noida has started sending launch date invites for 19th May. As per my conversation with the SA, car will be available on display on the same day itself.
Old 16th May 2022, 21:52   #96
BHPian

Received this appended invite for showroom launch and price reveal for Jeep Meridian.

"Landmark Jeep proudly presents an SUV that redefines Sophistication - Jeep Meridian! Please join us for the Exclusive Unveiling and Price Launch over some light music and snacks on 19th May. Grace the occasion with your presence. I look forward to seeing you"
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Meridian Review-whatsapp-image.jpeg  

Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 12:37   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Prices of the Jeep Meridian will be announced on 19th May.

Jeep Meridian Review-20220517_123823.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 17th May 2022 at 12:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 14:12   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Meridian reaches dealerships as it goes on sale on 19th May.

The model pictured was the top-spec Limited(O) variant of the SUV and was finished in a white and black dual-tone shade.

Jeep Meridian Review-2.jpg

Jeep Meridian Review-3.jpg

Jeep Meridian Review-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:33   #99
BHPian

What a coincidence, I was returning from office and just saw a Meridiam - Longitude without plates going to the KHT Motors showroom, driven by a driver. No camo on the car. The colour was deep red, the car looked nice and imposing. There was a weird tailpipe visible from the rear which was looking out of place. Other than that the car had a great road presence and zoomed away as I had to make a U Turn. Looking forward to the reveal. Let me check if I have the dashcam footage.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 15:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
What a coincidence, I was returning from office and just saw a Meridiam - Longitude without plates going to the KHT Motors showroom, driven by a driver.
Interesting that the variant was Longitude as most rumours as well as dealers have mentioned it would come with Limited variant onwards.

If they are doing a Longitude variant, Jeep can start from 25-26L ex showroom which will give it an edge over the Kodiaq and to some extent Tiguan as well.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 20:52   #101
BHPian

Jeep Meridian Review-whatsapp-image-20220517-2.47.01-pm.jpeg

Received this invitation on whatsapp from my sales advisor.
Old 18th May 2022, 11:20   #102
Senior - BHPian

I thought Meridian will be close to a Cherokee lookalike. Now, looking at the side profile it looks like an extra box added over Jeep compass. Does it not look like what Maruti did to Swift?
Old 18th May 2022, 14:06   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep India has already received over 1200 bookings for the Meridian.

Jeep Meridian Review-20220518_140508.jpg

Quote:
In fact, 300 of these bookings came even before the company officially opened bookings in the country.
Source
Old 18th May 2022, 15:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I thought Meridian will be close to a Cherokee lookalike. Now, looking at the side profile it looks like an extra box added over Jeep compass. Does it not look like what Maruti did to Swift?
To me it looked like Hexa but yes I felt the same an extended compass with a very cramped third row where no one can sit in comfort for long distances, it would have been better without the third row and they would have called this the new 2022 Compass as the design is really awesome.
Old 18th May 2022, 15:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jeep India has already received over 1200 bookings for the Meridian.
Hope Jeep doesnt get over enthusiastic by these booking numbers and price it on par with Fortuner. Though I am sure pricing will be decided and locked.
A lot of these bookings will be with the some expectations of price overlap between Compass and Meridian.

Last edited by sunikkat : 18th May 2022 at 15:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks