Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:14   #451
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
We checked with MG showroom and they mentioned, they wont allow any other vehicles other than MG for charging. Tata Motors has a charger but it was not working as the showroom people did not install a Transformer which can support the charger.
This! This is going to be a major hurdle for EV adoption at scale in the comings days. In the early days, dealers were allowing any EV to charge but with more EVs on roads they will start restricting it to their own brand. In some instances dealers don't even support their own cars. There was a post here from a Nexon owner where a Tata dealer refused them charging rudely saying, after they sell the car, they are not obligated to provide charging. The MG dealer close to home in Malad, Mumbai doesn't even have a fast charger. They charge their demo cars on a 16A socket!

While it is true that manufacturers of ICE cars don't bother with providing fuel after they sell the car, but EVs being in infancy, and dearth of public charging infra, manufacturers must provide basic fast charging infra at their own premises to encourage the early adopters. It can be paid. No one is asking for free charging, but it should be provided and without discriminating on the brand.
yashg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:03   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am waiting to learn from early adopters what happens when you drive through flooded roads where the battery {at the bottom} comes in contact with the flood waters swirling around it.
In short. No impact.

Last year during the Dec rains, I had an opportunity to drive through the mini floods of Chennai. At the heart of the city where it was like a flash flood, the car was submerged upto about a few inches above the door sill. I had to navigate these for about 50 minutes and there were points where I was still in the traffic for more than 5 minutes. Luckily there was no ingress of water into the car as well as no issues with the battery. I have done about 20k kms since then and all is well with the EV.

One thing that I noted was my consumption of battery seemed much higher since the EV was literally muscling its way through the flooded streets of Nungambakkam and T Nagar. I have not been able to validate this since then.
BlackRaven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 15:41   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
the car headlights draw power form the regular battery at the front and not the main battery used to run the electric motors.
This is correct, however In EV apart from the inverter it will also have a 12V DC - DC converter which is used to charge the 12V battery from the Li-Ion battery pack. All the electrical power requirements apart for the e-motor (and sometimes AC cooling compressor as well but this is based on the vehicle's architecture) are met by this 12V battery.
Old 22nd August 2022, 20:14   #454
BHPian

That's a great article on your Nexon EV Max. It was really very informative. I reckon as far as the range is concerned the real world difference between the Nexon EV prime and Max would be 60-70 km per charge under same driving style and conditions.
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:04   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
That's a great article. I reckon as far as the range is concerned the real world difference between the Nexon EV prime and Max would be 60-70 km per charge under same driving style and conditions.
Thank you. Yes that should be it, as the difference in battery capacity is 10 KW only, between the models.
rkmunjuluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:55   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmunjuluri View Post
Thank you. Yes that should be it, as the difference in battery capacity is 10 KW only, between the models.
Thank you for your reply!
Old 24th August 2022, 12:54   #457
BHPian

Sharing my experience with 1st free service of my EV max at Chima TATA , Madurai.

- Appointment booking is just a call away but you don't get any official confirmation by SMS or email after you book. Hence be prepared for surprises as the TAMO service app doesn't work properly either.

- Once you are at the service station be prepared to wait in the que of EVs even though you have reached at the stipulated time. Again if I knew it was busy that day I would have chosen another date for service. I couldn't get any explanation for this from the SA.

- The time taken for the service takes ridiculously long time as it just involves general inspection and basic fluid top ups with water wash. It took 7 hours to complete the entire process from check in to check out.

- As I had to travel to my city from Madurai (155 kms) I needed to charge which again was promptly denied by the SA stating that their fast charger was down and that I could use only the 15 A plug and it would just add miniscule charge.

Then I enquired with the MG dealer close by ,was denied by them stating that their charger is down as well.

-Luckily enough I checked with Zeon charging and was surprised to find a 24 Kw fast charger 20 kms enroute. Downloaded the app and everything else was smooth. I had a quick charge to 80 % in an hours time and then I was on my way , relieved.

TAMO still needs to train dealers and pull up their socks in the after sales - service aspect.
Denying Charging or top up to their own customers is simply unacceptable. Think many are having similar complaints across the country. If it was not for Zeon , I would be stranded at Madurai as there aren't any chargers in this route till Kanyakumari.

The work done was acceptable with my EV max. The car was handed over clean with shiny interiors with all minor niggles and complaints sorted out.

Last edited by pradheepsr : 24th August 2022 at 13:16.
pradheepsr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 01:18   #458

Very sad that this TAMO customer had to go through nightmare:
Jake_K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 02:09   #459
BHPian

Long time no see; before I provide a much-needed update on my whereabouts. I wanted to share a quick update about a breakdown we faced with the Nexon EV Max.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img20220823151505.png

I was leaving the office to head home, and when I switched on the vehicle, the screen flashed the red triangle icon:

"High voltage critical alert"

The circular gear selector screen froze, and the car wouldn't budge.

Now, this is peculiar for a brand-new car.

I called Tata's authorised workshop, and they told me they would require vehicle towing. I insisted on a flatbed and called Tata Motors helpline to facilitate the same.

The problem, however, is that when you switch off the car, it goes into "P" mode.

It needs to be in "N" mode for towing the car on a flatbed.

Reminder: The circular gear selector screen is frozen!

Long story short, they suggested getting the vehicle towed on two wheels. I refused outright, and we devised a solution to disconnect the auxiliary battery and immediately switch the gear selector to "N" before the car could complete its scan and adequately boot up.

This worked, and as soon as the car was in "N", we disconnected the battery, so it remained that way.

Now the wait begins; they have not been able to figure out what's wrong with the vehicle. I haven't received useful information about the error, and I will report back once resolved.

I can't imagine customers getting stranded on a highway with such a thing happening; the price we pay for being early adopters.

Note: Niggles aside, the experience of driving and having this EV has been exemplary. It's my definition of a near-perfect daily drive.
Zappex is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 08:03   #460
BHPian

Just curious to know if you have been driving over flooded roads as it’s monsoon everywhere?
Or could it be a case of some high voltage wire getting damaged due to rodent bite or something accidental?

Last edited by pradheepsr : 25th August 2022 at 08:04.
pradheepsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 08:16   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Sharing my experience with 1st free service of my EV max at Chima TATA , Madurai.
My experience for the first service has been Ditto and I experienced every single problem you faced. If I hadn't reached out to my SA I would've not received the vehicle on the same day.

I had Zconnect app issue which was resolved by resetting the device under the passenger seat. But other than that I had no other concerns.
I agree that they had more vehicles to service, but if TAMO just concentrates on Sales but not service it will be difficult moving forward. I hope atleast the EV division breaks away and forms new centre for servicing like NEXA.
shamanths3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 09:53   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
My experience for the first service has been Ditto and I experienced every single problem you faced. If I hadn't reached out to my SA I would've not received the vehicle on the same day.
I too got my 1st service done yesterday at 1990 km. I got the service date 8 days ahead on calling them, but had a similar experience with zero confirmation SMS, although I did get a call the previous evening confirming my booking.

I reached the service centre at 9:50 AM and had to wait till 10:40 AM for the SA to open the job card. The only issue I had was with the rear brake lights remaining on after switching off the car, but the SA or the technicians had no clue. That's when the SA told that the centre is not equipped for EVs as they don't have the equipment to do anything on EVs, all they can do is check and top-up fluids etc.
As my house was just a few km away, I left the car at the SC and came home. Got a call at 4 PM or so saying the vehicle is ready.

I think all they did is wash the car and apply some grease for the sun roof for which I was charged Rs 183. The car anyway needed a wash, so the service came up on the right time.
varkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 12:57   #463
BHPian

Quick update: The service guys did some software tweaks (Details awaited), and the car is ready to drive. I will be getting it today evening, and they are yet to identify the root cause.

My preliminary observation is that the system might have shut down the vehicle due to an anomaly detected.

Still doing my research, but many owners have faced this error for different reasons.

Quote:
Just curious to know if you have been driving over flooded roads as it’s monsoon everywhere?
Or could it be a case of some high voltage wire getting damaged due to rodent bite or something accidental?
Not driven it in flooded areas, and the wires are perfectly intact.

Last edited by Zappex : 25th August 2022 at 13:08. Reason: Typo
Zappex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:24   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_K View Post

Very sad that this TAMO customer had to go through nightmare:
https://Youtu.be/8h3vFjefQjA
The importance of PDI when buying a new car. Plus looks like a bad vehicle the dealer stuck to this person.

Other issues such as wireless charger and Tata's fit and finish are pretty well known to informed buyers. TAMO really needs to work on this and ofcourse work on their sales and service as is quite visible in the recent messages on this thread.
alok9345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 14:37   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
The only issue I had was with the rear brake lights remaining on after switching off the car, but the SA or the technicians had no clue. That's when the SA told that the centre is not equipped for EVs as they don't have the equipment to do anything on EVs, all they can do is check and top-up fluids etc.
The same issue seems to be happening for most of the Max owners and seems update is the solution here. Hence I dint bring this up with the service team as my SA had already updated me about it.

Seems TAMO is more worried about selling Prime version than promote Max versions since they have a huge inventory of Prime variants. Also Max is selling like hot cakes and shows no signs of slowing down. I really wish TAMO shows a little bit more care towards the Max owners
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks