Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:25   #511
BHPian

Re: Bought Home Nexon EV Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyktrii View Post
I also wish the car had wireless android auto as the wire is irritating and makes the wireless charger obsolete
Congratulations on your first car and that too an EV, and welcome to TeamBhp.
On the wireless Apple CarPlay/android auto, please go through the Max ownership reviews, someone had posted about a converter. I did my research and found the Carlink 3.0 to be good enough to do this job, I’m going for the same once I get my car.
About choice between XZ+ & XZ+ lux, I was also in similar dilemma like you, but I found the additional lakh worth not just because of the ventilated seats, but also for the air purifier, auto dimming IRVM, Sun roof and few more small nick nacks here and there.
Enjoy the car, drive safe.
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 19:01   #512
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Hello Nexon owners, how soon does Z connect start working? I have the car allotted and registered, and the dealer did some sort of OTP verification for my kYC. The person who took the OTP said it takes three more days for z connect to be activated - is that true?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:04   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Hello Nexon owners, how soon does Z connect start working? I have the car allotted and registered, and the dealer did some sort of OTP verification for my kYC. The person who took the OTP said it takes three more days for z connect to be activated - is that true?
Yes, It should get activated with in that time frame.
mago is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:17   #514
BHPian

Happy to report that I join the tribe of Nexon owners, with a Nexon Max Lux 7.2 kw. Whew, I never had a car name that long so far - it almost feels like I am writing all the specs in the car model!

Delivery was from KHT Motors in Whitefield, with a pretty smooth process. My other vehicle is a Pajero Sport, so looking forward to having fun in this vehicle. A longer post will come up soon.

Thanks, and Happy Durga Puja to all the Team Bhp mates!
anshuman_v is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:02   #515
BHPian

Is it possible to buy the Legrand Charger box from market.My friend is planning to buy ZS EV and is not installing the AC charger at the rented appartment.So is it possible to procure legrand charger box as the design looks very compact and sturdy.
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:28   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Is it possible to buy the Legrand Charger box from market.My friend is planning to buy ZS EV and is not installing the AC charger at the rented appartment.So is it possible to procure legrand charger box as the design looks very compact and sturdy.
One of our bhpians have bought it by enquiring through Legrand's twitter handle. Link below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5369841
Prasidhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 22:42   #517

Question for all the buyers who have their Nexon EV Max with them...how old was your car when you took ownership of it?

The reason I ask is, I was allotted a car manufactured in July, 2022.

Some more details: I booked my Nexon EV Max on May, 12th, 2022, the day after it was launched. I went for my pre-registration inspection today. On checking the VIN number for the car allotted to me, I noticed that its manufactured in July, 2022. I checked other cars on the lot, and all of them were manufactured in Sept, 2022.

When I asked the dealer why this was the case, they said that TATA allots the cars and they have no control over it. I asked what the car was doing for so many days and they had no reasonable answer.
Old 5th October 2022, 09:23   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post
Question for all the buyers who have their Nexon EV Max with them...how old was your car when you took ownership of it?

Some more details: I booked my Nexon EV Max on May, 12th, 2022, the day after it was launched. I went for my pre-registration inspection today. On checking the VIN number for the car allotted to me, I noticed that its manufactured in July, 2022. I checked other cars on the lot, and all of them were manufactured in Sept, 2022.

When I asked the dealer why this was the case, they said that TATA allots the cars and they have no control over it. I asked what the car was doing for so many days and they had no reasonable answer.

Ideally vehicle manufacturing date should be September, as there is a high demand and vehicles are allotted and given immediately. Also, May 12 bookings should have been cleared much earlier. Please get in touch with TATA and check rather than believing the dealer blindly.
Prasidhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:40   #519
BHPian

Hello Fellow Ev owners,

Just an update, during my recent trip to Dharmastala Subrahmanya via the scenic Bisle Ghat, I was able to achieve an efficiency of 54 wh/km downhill and a total efficiency of 120 wh/km even after climbing back on the same road. The drive was very satisfying and Nexon performed amazingly.

Can I request my fellow bhpians to update the lowest wh/km number they were able to achieve for a good stretch.

Some pictures of the trip here below ,

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220924_071605.jpg
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220924_062844.jpg
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220923_180624.jpg
Tata Nexon EV Max Review-20220924_063202.jpg
shamanths3 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 02:16   #520
BHPian

Faulty DC fast charging left us stranded

Thought I'll pen down the recent adventure I had with the Max. The last weekend, I was travelling from Kochi to Bengaluru. We started at around 6 AM, and the plan was to have breakfast and recharge the car at Sree Annapoorna, Avinashi. However, as we were nearing the station, when we checked the Zeon app, the charger was marked un-available so we thought we'll stop at the next station Haribhavanam Avinashi 5 km or so away. On the way we drove by the Sree Annapoorna station, found the station offline, and the security guard told us there is a scheduled power cut and would be back only by 5 PM or so. We proceeded towards Haribhavanam Avinashi, and only once we reached there we realised the restaurant opens only at 11-11:30 and there were no other open restaurants nearby. Anyway since we reached the place, we decided to plug-in and get a quick topup before proceeding to the next station. Charged for 30 min, was un-eventful, meanwhile checked the status of the next station which is Relux Perundurai. The station was marked as busy, so we decided, will stop there if it becomes free by the time we reach (around 30 min drive, 40 km) if not, will proceed towards Saravana Bhavan, Sankari. I was bit hungry as well, so we really hoped the Relux Perundurai station was free by the time we reach else the Sankari Zeon is another 50 km away.

Reached Relux Perundurai and luckily (or was it really unlucky ) the station was free, so plugged the car in, worked on first try, all good. Went to the adjacent A2B, ordered breakfast. Maybe a few minutes in, the power went but was restored quickly after. Checked the Relux app, and sure enough no update. Couple of minutes later got the SMS/Email saying charging completed, as the station rebooted. I couldn't restart charging remotely, as the status went to "Preparing" and the station was marked busy. So I walked towards the car, removed the gun, plugged it back in and restarted charging. No issues at all at this point, started charging on first try. So I went back to the restaurant, finished our breakast, by now it had charged to around 84% or so. Thought will stop at 90%, so I set the charging limit on the ZConnect app to 90% (first time I am trying this). We took a short stroll, checked out a handicraft store at the location, and in a couple of minutes, got a notification saying charging is complete, with SoC at 90%.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_1588.jpg

(At Relux Perundurai with our curious pet cat peeking . The remote pre-cooling feature in ZConnect is really a boon when we have to leave our cat inside the car during stops)

Got in the car and this is when I noticed a warning light in the console.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot-20221005-9.30.47-pm.png

Checked the owner's manual and it indicated some sensor failure. It was really hot and the car was charging under the sun, so I initially just attributed it to the high temperature causing some malfunction as the warning description talked about high temperature as well and hoped it would clear on its own in sometime. We started driving and didn't notice any real issue. I also posted in the Nexon EV Owners group in Telegram, but not many had seen this warning. I later realised that this warning is new to the Max and not there in the EV/Prime. I tried restarting the car a few times sometime later to see if the warning goes away, but it did not. Our next stop was planned for Surya Complex, Krishnagiri. We also checked Hotel Alps Residency, Krishnagiri which is a Relux station as it was a bit cheaper, but was offline.

Reached Surya Complex with 14% SoC, the 50 kW station was occupied by another car (a BMW electric), so we used the 24 kW station. Parked the car, connected the gun, and used my RFID to initiate charging, and immediately it threw an error saying that the station couldn't communicate with the car. Tried a bunch of times, unlocked and relocked the car etc, but no luck. The moment charging is initiated the error was thrown, so it was not like it took some time to error out. Since the last two stations were Relux and it worked, thought it could be some Zeon issue. There was a new Relux open at HPCL Schoolagiri, 20 km away, and thought we could make it. Drove slowly and reached the station with 8% SoC or so. Once it reached 10% SoC, vehicle went into limp home mode. Anyway fast charging failed to work at this station as well, error was "EV Parameters Overtime" this time. At this point it was pretty obvious that the charging is failing due to some error in the car and the amber warning is related to the issue.

At this point I wasn't sure what to do, as slow charging will take hours if at all it worked. I reached out to the Tata RSA and even though they were very helpful, the best solution offered was to tow the car that too to Salem (150 km away) as that is the closest service centre which deals with EVs. To be noted here is that there are Tata service centres in Hosur (15 km away) and Krishnagiri (30 km away), which as per their system do not deal with EVs. There is also another service centre just after Electronic City as well. When asked why can't it be towards to the SC at Bangalore, they are like it has to be within the state of breakdown, else I need to pay some cross border towing surcharge of Rs 2000 or so. Anyway I didn't want to get towed right away so I asked them to call me back in some time.

I had also read user reports about a "contactor welded" error code / soft fuse that prevents fast charging that can be cleared only by the SC. I had posted in the Telegram Owner's group about my predicament, and a kind gentleman who is very familiar the Nexon EV and with the various charging errors and issues, reached out to me. We went through some basic checks

1. Noticed that when fast charging is initiated, the gun is not getting locked. Tried to use manual lock release pin which is accessible from above the tyre area, to manually lock the gun, no luck.
2. Tried to see if any fuses were blown (as the amber warning talked about sensor failures), nothing obvious.

At this point, from his experience so far, it was clear that the issue is the "contactor welded" error flag as the Star make DC chargers Relux uses is a common offender and needs to be reset for fast charging to work again. The kind gentleman then reached out to a contact of his, a senior Tata official. Long story short, after a bunch of calls, within 30 min, a Tata technician was on his way from Krishnagiri with the laptop to clear the fault codes. While the discussion with Tata was ongoing, I was also checking if any of the restaurants can let me slow charge. Checked with a Frozen Bottle outlet, and they were very helpful when we told it was an emergency. However, even though it started charging, couple of minutes in, their MCB tripped due to overload. Then checked with a tyre shop within the same area which kindly let us slow charge. Charged for 30-45 min, but their fuse blew, and the whole shop lost power. SoC now stood at 11%. By now, the Tata technician arrived, straight away connected his laptop to the OBD port, scanned and could see the dreaded "contactor welded" error code. He cleared the faults and reset the fast charging status to OK and applied the changes. The whole process took less than 5 min.

At this point, as there was no other option, used the Relux station (same StarCharge make). This time fast charging worked and was able to charge. Thought will charge to 100% as I had some other errands the next day, and slow charging point is not ready at my house in Bangalore yet. So if I do end up with the same error flag again, I may not be able to fast charge. Luckily this time it charged to 100% without any issues, and we were able to drive home without any problem.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_1597.png

(Charging at HP Junction, Shoolagiri)

3:30 PM - Reached Surya Complex, Krishnagiri
3:50 PM - Left Surya Complex, Krishnagiri
4:15 PM - Reached HP Junction, Shoolagiri
9:05 PM - Left HP Junction, Shoolagiri

So our trip got extended by 5 hours as part of this adventure. It was definitely stressful and we were very fortunate to get the help from the Owner's group and from Tata for arranging the technician to come help us get back on the road. If went the RSA way, as it was already a bit late, I don't think we'd get the car back until the next day. Also, the car was full of luggage, and our pet cat and her kitten, so we are very glad that we didn't need to get the car towed.

TL;DR - Relux StarCharge make DC fast chargers can cause the Nexon EV to trigger a soft fuse preventing future fast charging, until the fault is cleared by Tata SC. Potentially leaving you stranded during long trips.

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-img_1594.jpg
varkey is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 08:22   #521
BHPian

Whenever I read such such stories about the error codes that can be diagnosed by somebody connecting the laptop and clearing the code in 5 minutes, I feel so

The most irritating piece is that they ask you to tow the car or send an engineer to the site.

What I fail to understand that we are in the age of connected car. What is the limitation that an engineer cannot connect the laptop/software to the car remotely, carry out the diagnostics and clear the codes. If there is a physical failure, then I can understand that a part needs to be changed, but doing so much "tamasha" to clear a code is beyond my comprehension.

Remote infrastructure management is done in IT and telecom as a standard practice, so what stops these guys from doing it. There needs to be a better way.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th October 2022 at 08:24.
ajayc123 is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 08:39   #522
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogues View Post

Similar situation happened in the case of my Nexon prime. I was told they’re doing me a favour by giving a car that was allotted to someone else etc. When I reached the stockyard, I realised that the car was already standing there for 27 days, so all they (dealer) spoke was nonsense. I ensured to allot myself a car that had landed in the showroom in preceding 4 days. And there were at least 5 cars that had landed in the preceding few days.

Tata dealers are lazy and liars, don’t trust them one bit!

Cheers
RJK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:29   #523
BHPian

Quote:
However, even though it started charging, couple of minutes in, their MCB tripped due to overload. Then checked with a tyre shop within the same area which kindly let us slow charge. Charged for 30-45 min, but their fuse blew, and the whole shop lost power
Is that anyway connected to the 'contactor welded' error? Because, I was under the impression that an ev can be slow charged overnight from a normal 15A plug!
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:53   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The most irritating piece is that they ask you to tow the car or send an engineer to the site.
Exactly, and the RSA by default tries to get the vehicle towed rather than sending a technician. Hopefully they can develop on the ZConnect platform and offer more remote diagnostics features.

Another thought is, if this is an error which is simply cleared by the technician with no further steps or checks, then why does it even need to be manually cleared? Probably the car itself should do a self check and clear the fault on restart if the fault condition is no longer present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Is that anyway connected to the 'contactor welded' error? Because, I was under the impression that an ev can be slow charged overnight from a normal 15A plug!
Not at all, I guess it simply shows the state of an electrical installation in most places in India. Just the existence of a 16A socket doesn't imply that we can draw the rated load from that socket. In most of the places, the socket is not wired with the required gauge wires, or say two or three such sockets are placed in close proximity, overloading the MCB if these sockets are used simultaneously.

I think this is also why Tata has limited the charging current of the portable charger to 11A-12A instead of the full 16A, to reduce the issues caused due to non-spec wiring or electrical installation.

Last edited by varkey : 6th October 2022 at 11:01.
varkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:16   #525
BHPian

Re: Faulty DC fast charging left us stranded

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
TL;DR - Relux StarCharge make DC fast chargers can cause the Nexon EV to trigger a soft fuse preventing future fast charging, until the fault is cleared by Tata SC. Potentially leaving you stranded during long trips.
I can only imagine how stressful this could be. I feel the problems by themselves aren't stressful but the poor support given by the manufacturer is. We expect the manufacturer to provide proper support in a timely manner.

Thankfully you were able to resolve the error, thanks to all the help from the community. One of the main reasons I was able to take the plunge into EVs is because of the community that we have around us of fellow EV owners.

I am also planning for a trip from Bangalore to Goa in the next week, so will plan to charge in Tata or Zeon as much as possible. Till date I have only charged in Zeon and only once in Tata and have never faced any issues.

However I do get these random fault messages when I start the car which disappear as soon they show up. Again, software issue maybe.
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks