Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 21:40   #91
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
If yes, is there any way to figure out if a booking done now is part of the 10,000 price protection?
What I noted is that in the edit booking option there is no option to change variant or colour. Only option is to cancel it. I would think that a regular booking would allow to change variant or colour. If someone can please confirm that.
Old 13th February 2023, 12:13   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB290 View Post
What I noted is that in the edit booking option there is no option to change variant or colour. Only option is to cancel it. I would think that a regular booking would allow to change variant or colour. If someone can please confirm that.
No booking, weather regular or online allows change of colour or variant. If one wants these changes, they have to cancel the booking and redo one with their preference, meaning they go down the line.
337699gsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:37   #93
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
Happy motoring to all and we will see alot of Thars on the Road. Lets be safe and not drive rash. Lets give way and put more smiles on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Timely message. I'm a thar owner myself but frequently disappointed at how some thar owners bully other vehicles around on the road.
You are both bang on. I notice the difference in the treatment I receive at the hands of other road users when I drive each of my cars. In my Thar, people seem a little wary. In my Gypsy they tend to not push around because it is a Dark Green which may make them think I am an ‘official’. (This is true even when I pass through Bandipur and Mudumalai and all en route Ooty.) In my Mini I am fair game for everyone to try and bully and intimidate.

Yesterday I was returning after filling air in my Thar tyres. There was a cross road T junction where a big Mercedes GLE was coming along wishing to turn right. I was approaching the same cross road at right angles to the Merc and was going straight. Seeing the Merc I slowed down and waved at him to take the turn, intending to then follow him. He first looked totally shocked. And then raised his hand in acknowledgement and made his turn. In this brief moment of my slowing down every road user behind me had his/ her hand firmly on their horns.

Another incident a few days ago. Pedestrians. Lady and child crossing a busy road. There I was in my big huge Thar. I simply slowed down and stopped to allow her to pass. She seemed totally flabbergasted but hesitatingly waved and crossed the road. Again by this time the various pea-brained denizens of the urban jungle who were behind me simply went on honking.

Here is a pic from a ladybird book given to me in 1974. Man and his Car.

It says everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-549266195f274a968bb86df98e87e983.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:55   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In my Gypsy they tend to not push around because it is a Dark Green which may make them think I am an ‘official’. (This is true even when I pass through Bandipur and Mudumalai and all en route Ooty.) .
A Green gypsy soft-top sure has an aura around it !

Btw, on the lighter side:
Q: How to remotely trigger multiple vehicle horns ?
A: Just slow down your car and stop in the middle of the road.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 23:14   #95
BHPian

Having earned a driving license in Ireland , it’s a very different culture of driving. In Europe it is defensive driving while in India it is offensive.

To stop for pedestrians and to give way to other motorists is the norm there and the opposite is true here.

I have also noticed that other drivers don’t bully me as much except the Fortuners and yes some Thars 🙂

In UP Fortuner drivers think they own the road and are the worst behaved. They constantly flash their lights to overtake

Thinking of getting a big LED installed on the rear window to directly flash into the eyes of those driving on high beam and those constantly flashing to overtake. They deserve to get a taste of their own medicine.

Jokes apart lets be nice to these Idiot’s - Gandhigiri as Munnabhai says
Old 14th February 2023, 21:13   #96
BHPian

Finally! The D day!!

Yesterday night, we took delivery of my new Thar RWD. Must say the whole process was not a smooth one. But trust me, it was all worth when you put your hard earned money in a car which you always wanted so desperately!

Endless comparisons with same priced cars, all the logics and practicality aspects, jimny and a wee bit of anxiety about choosing this Thar took a back seat yesterday and heart won!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review-b9692b101db64f0e9d2fe7e7f13f329b.jpeg  

337699gsd is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 22:11   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 337699gsd View Post
Must say the whole process was not a smooth one.
Any insights, in terms of what wasn't to your liking, and how did you solve this?

P.S. I have been provided next week's delivery date, but don't see anything moving from either the dealership's end, or from M&M
Old 14th February 2023, 23:55   #98

Did anyone who booked theirs on 13th Jan get any update on the delivery? My dealer still says its going to be in December 2023.
Old 15th February 2023, 08:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiri_19 View Post
Did anyone who booked theirs on 13th Jan get any update on the delivery? My dealer still says its going to be in December 2023.
I booked it on 9th Jan and still waiting to hear from the dealer. If you had booked Petrol one, You may get the vehicle soon.
Old 15th February 2023, 11:35   #100
BHPian

I think Mahindra should've taken a page out of Ford's book i.e. what they did with the Bronco in the U.S.
Introduce a "Thar Sport" which is based on a monocoque chassis & have AWD in the mix, ideally a 4 door & under 4m in length or maybe even in the Creta-Seltos-Taigun-Kushaq segment.
It could've competed with the Jimny in terms of price, in expectations that Jimny is priced nicely & undercuts the thar.
Old 15th February 2023, 12:27   #101
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I just want to be left alone.

A big problem that I usually face from frenzied car drivers when I am in a smaller car, is that they honk and sometimes they even push me off the road.

When I drive in a butch SUV, I don't get bothered by most frenzied drivers.

So yeah - I am prepared to make certain compromises in selecting these SUVs.

Some day - I wish to own a proper (i.e., 4m+) big butch SUV on which I will unfurl the scariest political party's flag on the bonnet. That'll ensure that no frenzied driver will bother me, period
You have put it quite accurately. This is a big reason why I have the Scorpio N Petrol in consideration (and the lovely mStallion) despite wanting to tour remote areas and do some off-roading.
I had the old Fortuner (1st facelift bingobongo type 2015 4x2 AT) for a week and literally nobody would bother me on the road barring a few Fortuners and every Creta and Crysta I see on the road.

Well, pardon me for saying this but something is very wrong with Creta and Crysta owners, nearly got pushed off a cliff at Charmadi Ghat near Mangalore by a Creta (I was driving an XUV500).
Absolutely nothing at all different here at Gurgaon and Lucknow. It's always that Creta (or the Crysta).

Fortuner, Endeavour, Scorpio N owners seem rather well-behaved compared to the above two. Guess I'll stick an Indian flag on the dashboard after delivery and grow a moustache (pls help ).
Old 15th February 2023, 16:30   #102
BHPian

This is a pure PR gimmick. I was positively given a word of delivery by July (for the diesel, Petrol was a month or so lesser) if I booked right away (in jan) by a dealer (Automotive) in Hyderabad from where I regularly serviced my Thar Crde. This guy is known to me and wouldn't lie (or so I hope) but definitely wouldn't surely be dragged on till Dec as many folks have pointed out. He said the website waitlist isn't accurate and there are many cancellations that aren't accounted for either.
TejasV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 20:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post
This is a pure PR gimmick. I was positively given a word of delivery by July (for the diesel, Petrol was a month or so lesser) if I booked right away (in jan) by a dealer (Automotive) in Hyderabad from where I regularly serviced my Thar Crde.
I booked mine in a weeks time of opening of bookings and the facts that I have got to know till now by meeting my dealer multiple times and talking to some seniors that I met and birdies around is as under:

1. Dealers have booked cars in their names and not few but many.

2. These vehicles will be sold at a premium to the public willing to shell more to reduce wait times in the tune of 1-1.5 Lacs. (A person known to me has promised me to deliver the vehicle in 15 days time if I am willing to pay the premium).

3. People having influence or having some political connections are being obliged by the dealers regardless of any bookings.

4. The wait times are only slightly exaggerated as each dealer shall be allotted only 15-20 cars per month.

5. Price of the car is going to increase by up to 50000 initially and very shortly depending on variant.only once booked in first 10000 batch is yet being provided to dealers.

6. People are being convinced by dealers to rather opt for 4x4 instead so that available stocks of the same are exhausted, discounts in the range of up to 40000 being provided for the same as of now. (My dealer even promised to provide free rear camera if opt for 4x4 with delivery in 4 days time max.)

7. A person with no connections and no premium moolah to spare shall have to just wait and watch like a sitting duck , watching this happening.

8. Ironically they do not have production capacity but the ad to book one in 9.99 lacs is all over the social media and various related forums/ platforms.

9. By the time people will be able to get their vehicle , the price of it would be revised at least two times, making it a “not so value for money” proposition.

Looking at history of things, this happened for around 1.5 years with the Thar 4x4 and I am now pretty sure that the same shall repeat.

There is absolutely no transparency as to the price bracket in which one has booked or the real time in which one would get the car but only misleading statements by the company and dealer.

Just appalled at how the innocent customers are taken for a ride by an indigenous brand.

Hoping that Jimny fixes this attitude of Mahindra and sanity prevails some day.

Best.
NST440 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 23:20   #104

Seems like Southern India, especially Karnataka is getting the short end of the stick in terms of deliveries. Even on social media, most delivery posts/videos are from other parts of the country.
Old 16th February 2023, 05:23   #105

I booked the Thar RWD White on Jan 11th around 7.15 PM. The dealer confirmed that my booking is done with the introductory price. And the delivery would be around June. But I have seen (on YouTube) people who booked the Thar on 10th Jan got their vehicle somewhere in central India and someone who booked on 9th Jan didn’t receive it yet. So I’m guessing it’s the dealer who decides who gets the thar when. Also the booking tracking hack from their website is disabled.

Most Viewed